Why, as a solo, I am slowly being driven to stop playing Tarkov.

sackboyalamode

I have been playing Tarkov for a while, and just started playing seriously this wipe. I decided I wanted to finish all of the quests, and see how long it would take me. Being 2/3rds of the way done, I am very happy with my progress, and enjoying the quests thoroughly. My problem comes when I am fighting other PMC's. I know this topic has been debated over and over, and people always say suck it up, whatever, but the solo vs groups is slowly making me hate this game. Let me give you the bare points:

I feel as though I am an alright player. I know how to take fights, and how to run, and the general tactics surrounding an FPS game. I know when fighting groups, you need to force fights into 1v1's, and can't peek all the enemies at the same time. The problem is, I am not a god tier player. I don't have ridiculous aim and spray transfers. I  love Tarkov because it's tactical, its difficult, and it is all about strategy. But every time I take a fight with a group, I shoot the first one, and immediately try to run, because I assume there will be a second one. By killing one person, I have given up my position, told them what gear I have, told them what weapon I am using, and shown them how fast I can kill them. I give literally every tactical advantage up to the next person in the group, who now knows my position, knows what I can do, while I have no Intel whatsoever. If I don't hit ridiculous shots, or completely stomp them in one spray, I cannot live. I know I am not bad at the game, but I also know I am not great at the game either. I can pull off 1v2's occasionally, but only when I hit some nasty shots or do a very cheesy peek through something.  I know people are going to say, "Get better, play better, blah blah blah, but I play this game a ton, and know I'm not bad at it. If the only way to be able to play solo is to be an order of magnitude of skill better than the person you are facing, then I don't know if I want to play this game. Being tactically better just doesn't cut it when it's a solo vs. a group. You just need to be mechanically better than them by a significant margin. I am not a god at this game, and most likely never will be. 

Today, I took 24 fights against PMC's. 6 Were against solo players, 16 against duos. I won 5 of the 6 1v1's, and 2 of the 16 1v2's. I really am just losing hope about playing this game. Don't even get me started on the fights vs 3 or more players. If the only way I can play this game is to get a friend to play all the time, and only play with them, I might just not play the game at all. 

Now, I am not saying I have a solution. I don't really know what you can do, and I understand that the game is being designed around squad play. I also think that losing a lot of people because playing solo sucks so much, and people don't have friends to play with is an awful way to create a game, because you are alienating what I believe to be a significant part of the player base. 

P.S. I humbly request that nobody starts spamming get good in this thread, I am looking for some wisdom from a solo who went through the stage I am going through right now, to help get me over the hump. I love this game so much, but it's become so toxic to me that I might just go back to rainbow six and cs:go, despite them feeling like watered down baby games after playing Tarkov. 

P.P.S. Is the second time on labs supposed to be for solos? I thought it was, but I keep running into groups in labs. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

The solution is actually quite simple and could/should be applied easily: solo vs squad servers. By now the number of players should be large enough to allow this and it does not have to fragment the playerbase to any extent: it is in the hands of BSG to set up dedicated servers where only solos are allowed. It would all make sense:

1. Even though I am convinced the vast majority of players plays solo, so the number of solo servers should be much more, BSG could set up just a fraction of servers as solo, because people will be more than happy to play on those and wait longer to get in. But if they for once listen to Demand of the actual playerbase and want happy customers, they could adjust the number of solo servers to the number of solo players. Does that mean some work? Yes. The effect? Priceless. Much more satisfied players that motivate and bring positive views on the game to the outside, not just the streamers who need the positive advertising for the game for their own sakes.

2. Squads would not have to change anything, they get queued as usual, but will not be able to enter the solo-only servers.

3. It does not even have to be all maps all the time. There could be a rotation of maps or areas where solo can be played, if the devs are afraid of fragmenting the playerbase too much and everyone playing solo servers only.

4. Even if the total number of solo servers is just a fraction of all servers, I am sure many people would be willing to wait long in queue to be on such servers. I for one would wait up to 15-20 minutes for a solo raid if the queue times are pre-set due to popularity, plenty of work to do IRL next to the game. BSG can easily control the queue times however.

Unfortunately, BSG seems to have a "vision" that does not hold such option. I think this vision is detached from reality and is excluding many players that would otherwise bring money on the table, but these business decisions are theirs to make.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Barangolo hit it on the head in his post, I would love to see something done that would support us solo players, knowing that I am going in to raid against all other solo's would definitely give me peace of mind, I wouldn't feel pressured to "rat" as much as I do when it comes to raids.

I know BSG have a different mindset on where this game is going, and pushing for players to be in a squad, but that is something they have also destroyed with ping lock, I started playing this game 18 months ago with a dozen mates from the US, now since ping lock I have had to learn to play solo which has been a massive struggle for me, so a solo que server ( if it was ever to come into fruition ) would be great.

9 hours ago, sackboyalamode said:

Being tactically better just doesn't cut it when it's a solo vs. a group.

I understand your point of view. I play only in a team of 5 and I find the solo gaming boring and tactically useless, therefore I am gonna give you my point of view from the other side.

As you stated earlier in your post, squads have obvious advantages, and unfortunately for solo gamers, tarkov does not have a solo matchmaking, this is an important core mechanic in tarkov as it adds that touch of "unknown" to every raid.

Yes a solo can kill a full squad. It happened many times to my team to die due to a solo player, but as you know it's a difficult task to accomplish, so what can you do as a solo? Avoid engagements with larger squads, I know sometimes you can't, well in those cases you should disengage if you can and run!

9 hours ago, sackboyalamode said:

every time I take a fight with a group

Therefore this made my think.

Why would you pick up a fight with a group in a game where the objective is to survive? 

I personally do not understand why people look for fights, we usually also avoid solos if they do not see us, we try to play as tactical as possible and sometimes it's just not worth to give away your position to kill a guy who's gear will probably not even be enough to be split by 2 of your team.

I am sure someone else already told you but I suggest you to join a discord and group up with some people, Tarkov really shines when played as a group as it turns in a total different experience.

Said that, I think everybody here hates and loves this game at the same time as you probably do too. Do not give up!

• Like 3
  • Sad 7
  • Upvote 1

Solo play in this game is fucked up.

For normal players its only useful for questing and hatchling runs.

Join the Discord and find a squad, unless you love being tortured.

There is not much else to say.

• Hot 1

@N1shazu

On the point of why I am taking a fight with a group, or taking a fight at all, it is due to A) The Quests, and B) The Loot Spawns. When I am doing a quest, I have a specific spot I have to go to, and many times I have to sit there and do something, like hold a button for minutes at a time. The places the quests are at are commonly high traffic spots, like dorms. There is no way to wait out people leaving dorms, because 3/4ths of the players will be there eventually in a raid. I have to take fights, just to get to my objectives. On the subject of loot, most of the loot on a map is concentrated in very small, high traffic zones in maps. While I agree, that you can definitely make a good buck walking around the outskirts of shoreline looting jackets, The majority of profit is made in those high traffic areas. Sometimes, Most times, almost always you have to take fights to get to those spots. 

The other point, of solos being able to take on squads, I understand it is possible. I get that it CAN be done. But for those of us who aren't complete gods at the game, It will never happen frequently. On top of that, going into the majority of fights understanding that there is probably one more, and I am most likely going to lose just feels bad.

To reiterate my opinion, I literally just got out of a raid  where I was trying to get to a quest in resort on shoreline, but ran into a group on my way down the hall. 2 people down the hall, the other pinched me holding an angle on the stairs. I pushed out, and killed the two holding me, but got a ricochet on the last persons helmet. I played it very well, and did the best I could, but because there were 3 of them, I lost, despite hitting some really great shots and playing it well. The only reward I got is knowing that he won't be able to cart out all the juice of his teammates, but they will get it back from insurance anyway, so it doesn't matter. My loot on the other hand, is now gone. Because he will definitely take it. 

3 hours ago, N1shazu said:

I play only in a team of 5 and I find the solo gaming boring and tactically useless

Wow.. So playing with a FIVE-man firepower squad in a game where this basically means that you will never meet an equally large group in a raid, but only solos or the occasional duo, is NOT boring?.. Per definition, predictable outcome of fights is boring. Per definition, a five man squad wins any fight in this game. I think you are confusing "boring" with "dangerous".

tarkov does not have a solo matchmaking, this is an important core mechanic in tarkov as it adds that touch of "unknown" to every raid.

I seriously would like to respect people with these endlessly repeated mantras about "excitement of the unknown" that 5-man squad members are constantly repeating, but come on, who are you kidding :D The only excitement you get is that you can farm another solo player, by suppressing from different angles and nading the hell out of him. If that gets you excited, well.. The other party in this "surprise" is the one you drop on, the solo player. You can hardly speak for solo players when you're on the right side of the d*ck, now can you? ;)From my side as a solo player, I can guarantee you, there is nothing "exciting" in being dropped on a 5-man squad. It has happened so many times to me it is just not funny anymore.

Yes a solo can kill a full squad. It happened many times to my team to die due to a solo player

If anything, it just says how bad your 5-man squad is, sorry but that's the truth. t hardly is representative for the normal outcome of such an encounter. Nonetheless, since this is not about bragging rights but about logic, I hope you are not claiming that in a fight between solo and squad, the odds are even closely equal. I am sure if there would be a statistic about the number of lost vs won fights of a solo player vs a squad, the more members the squad has, the closer the odds get to zero for the solo player, all other skills being equal.

Why would you pick up a fight with a group in a game where the objective is to survive? 

Really feels like you are playing a different game. Squads have 4-5 pairs of eyes, vs a solo player with just one. In addition, typically at least one is equipped with a decent scope and most of the time thermals are pretty soon in the game as well, as they can easily pick up the expensive thermal if one of them dies, so this is just another enormous advantage in spotting for a squad vs a solo player for whom it is far too expensive to loose a thermal (not even to speak of the insane number of cheaters, who will flock to a solo guy immediately if he's juicy, as he will have a difficult time proving the cheat vs a squad that is dropped by aimbot).

In addition, you don't really think that solo players can avoid fights just like that? The game is not about crawling around the side of the map to avoid meeting a squad. When a squad moves, they hardly care about sound and move quickly, especially because it is mostly about looting and that is easy with the numbers. A solo player, once spotted, cannot run away. I have a vid of last wipe when I luckily spot a squad with my thermal on Shoreline within a minute of spawn moving on me and I cannot leave the treeline as they suppress me with nonstop fire, bang, dead, headshot through Altyn while wearing Gen4. Now tell a solo player how to run away from that :D

Tarkov really shines when played as a group as it turns in a total different experience.

Well, the cat is out of the sack. It shines there indeed, brightly. A shame it does not for solo. Which is the whole reason for OP.

What you need to understand is that the game should and cannot cater for just squads. The huge imbalance it creates cannot sustain the game for long. It also makes no sense, as no game will ever have more squads than solo players. Especially one that requires a more mature attitude to gaming and one with such a high-risk core mechanic of fast stash value loss. Clearly, BSG has fallen in a paradox: they do not want to cater to solos for want of a "tactical" hardcore shooter playerbase, but in doing so, they drive the game to more immaturity via meta-gaming, that serves a lazy audience. Which seeks refuge in numbers.

• Upvote 9

I'm playing solo for 3 years. Thing is, I'm not one of those "pros" seeking PvP and killing squads. For me, stealth and ambushes are the way to go. If the situation is asymetric, play it that way. If you have a weapon capeble of killing from a distance, kill and move. If not - run. There is no glory in dieing against a squad. Sniping one or two means at least victory. Loot is plenty to find.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

if there is PvP in a game, then there will be PvP happening.

I and many other mainly play this game for the PvP.

So is this wrong? dont know, but thats fun to me, who ever said surviving is the main objective?

If surviving would be the main objective, why is there a lack of rewarding surviving?

The found in raid is a nice beginning but the raid gamemode really needs to be more rewarding for ppl that survive. 

4 hours ago, N1shazu said:

I understand your point of view. I play only in a team of 5 and I find the solo gaming boring and tactically useless, therefore I am gonna give you my point of view from the other side.

As you stated earlier in your post, squads have obvious advantages, and unfortunately for solo gamers, tarkov does not have a solo matchmaking, this is an important core mechanic in tarkov as it adds that touch of "unknown" to every raid.

Yes a solo can kill a full squad. It happened many times to my team to die due to a solo player, but as you know it's a difficult task to accomplish, so what can you do as a solo? Avoid engagements with larger squads, I know sometimes you can't, well in those cases you should disengage if you can and run!

Therefore this made my think.

I personally do not understand why people look for fights, we usually also avoid solos if they do not see us, we try to play as tactical as possible and sometimes it's just not worth to give away your position to kill a guy who's gear will probably not even be enough to be split by 2 of your team.

I am sure someone else already told you but I suggest you to join a discord and group up with some people, Tarkov really shines when played as a group as it turns in a total different experience.

Said that, I think everybody here hates and loves this game at the same time as you probably do too. Do not give up!

Rolling 5 deep and curb stomping all the sub level 10's? Sounds residentsleeper

Edited by Elephantegg

1 hour ago, Elephantegg said:

Rolling 5 deep and curb stomping all the sub level 10's? Sounds residentsleeper

Might be for you. Points of view I guess..I don't really get the sub level 10 thing...I mean is it supposed to be fun? 

2 hours ago, GeneralBrus said:

f there is PvP in a game, then there will be PvP happening.

I and many other mainly play this game for the PvP.

So is this wrong? dont know, but thats fun to me, who ever said surviving is the main objective?

If surviving would be the main objective, why is there a lack of rewarding surviving?

It is. You need to escape, of course you can be extracted in a body bag. Your choice. But yes, I understand the pvp seeking guys. It's just stupid for me to run towards shoot fired, here again it's just a matter of opinions nobody said is wrong.

4 hours ago, sackboyalamode said:

On the point of why I am taking a fight with a group, or taking a fight at all, it is due to A) The Quests, and B) The Loot Spawns.

I understand, well It's a hell to play solo, I hope you'll find your way to get those squads down!

I typically play in a squad myself, although finding with the new ping restrictions having to branch out and find more local Tarkov buds to form them with.

One of the biggest thing's I've noticed in squad/duo vs solo is that while the squad has more freedom to apply tactics (flanking, suppression etc) the biggest advantage you have as the solo player is communication. What I mean by this is you have no one else to keep track of. Every other player is the bad guy. For a squad, the first hurdle is identifying where did you get shot from, then from there, working out exactly where your squad mates are in relation to the initial contact. In close quarters, you may find squads hesitant to pull the trigger out of fear that the guy approaching from behind is one of their squad mates. Sure, squads that play for a long time together develop that natural rhythm and know what their buddies dress like and how they act, but this is not the case for most squads and call outs over discord of "Is this you?" "What tree is he at?" "Where exactly are you?"

This confusion is your best friend as a solo player. Shoot and scoot. If you have dropped the first person in the group, the second most likely will not know where you are (even more so if you are running a silenced weapon). Pull back and keep eyes on the guy you downed. Chances are, they will be super cautious for the first 5-10 minutes before attempting to get their buddies gear.

I'm by no means good at this game, but this is what I always encounter when fighting solo players.

As to the why I like playing in groups, its more fun helping someone else out get their quests done, or have a successful raid especially when you know they have been having a string of bad luck.

I’ve played solo many times and I am also an average player, I play methodically using hard cover at every opportunity, I see a team of two or three I wait, I see a solo player with great gear, I wait, gather intel and sometimes just avoid the fight unless it’s head on and can’t be avoided.

There’s features in the game vastly underused. I don’t get why Dorms woods has so much traffic, bushes are cover but they don’t stop rounds like a forklift truck, hardcover wins me a number of fights

Smoke grenades are another 

I got pinned in dorms doing a quest by a 3 man team they were just sitting me out waiting for me to enter the hallway. Two smokes in the hall then a run for the stairs was all I needed.

Also map knowledge is hugely important knowing how to get out of a position you’re in. 
Ive played over 500 hours now and I am still a noob

A friend recommended a streamers discord to me as being more mature and likeminded, I tried it and grouping up is fun. I do think though for me a group of three is the optimal number.

Disclaimer, being in a group hasn’t given me invincible runs, I have died just as often as solo running

good luck dude

This game is meant to be a squad based shooter from the get-go. You are meant to play as a team. In the future the game will become furthermore difficult for solo-runners, and the obstacles will be mostly "balanced" toward a squad taking them on.

If you don't want to play in a squad, then that's your choice. But the game design won't change for your benefit. Being a single man in a war zone is supposed to be scary, and you are meant to have the odds strongly stacked against you, that is by design.

Changing the current mechanics to make the game, essentially more predictible isn't something that the developers want. They want more unpredictability, more dynamic content/moments and events. Already knowing what you're going against in a game session goes against their core concept.

I play solo 99% of the time, and I die in about 1 out of 3 raids on average. When I die to squads, it is nearly always because I made a mistake. The game gives you far less slack to make mistakes when you play alone. A squad can cover you while you goof up, but when you are alone - the tolerance for mistakes and errors are nearly nonexistent.

Again. This is how the devs intended it. You have to decide for yourself if that's for you in the long run.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

I have a bunch of friends who play. We could easily field 3 squads if we wanted. 

we could que into the same server at the same time if we wanted and pretty much just loot it if we wanted. 

we don’t. 

id say a good 75% of the time I play solo and so do most of them. It’s not as bad as op makes it out to be unless of course you chase every fight. 

5 people have 5 eyes, they also have 5 mouths and never stfu up. Good luck hearing or catching anything especially if 2 of those 5 decide they want to debate each other lol. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:41 AM, Barangolo said:

The solution is actually quite simple and could/should be applied easily: solo vs squad servers. By now the number of players should be large enough to allow this and it does not have to fragment the playerbase to any extent: it is in the hands of BSG to set up dedicated servers where only solos are allowed. It would all make sense:

1. Even though I am convinced the vast majority of players plays solo, so the number of solo servers should be much more, BSG could set up just a fraction of servers as solo, because people will be more than happy to play on those and wait longer to get in. But if they for once listen to Demand of the actual playerbase and want happy customers, they could adjust the number of solo servers to the number of solo players. Does that mean some work? Yes. The effect? Priceless. Much more satisfied players that motivate and bring positive views on the game to the outside, not just the streamers who need the positive advertising for the game for their own sakes.

2. Squads would not have to change anything, they get queued as usual, but will not be able to enter the solo-only servers.

3. It does not even have to be all maps all the time. There could be a rotation of maps or areas where solo can be played, if the devs are afraid of fragmenting the playerbase too much and everyone playing solo servers only.

4. Even if the total number of solo servers is just a fraction of all servers, I am sure many people would be willing to wait long in queue to be on such servers. I for one would wait up to 15-20 minutes for a solo raid if the queue times are pre-set due to popularity, plenty of work to do IRL next to the game. BSG can easily control the queue times however.

Unfortunately, BSG seems to have a "vision" that does not hold such option. I think this vision is detached from reality and is excluding many players that would otherwise bring money on the table, but these business decisions are theirs to make.

This would not work at all with the current match making people in some region are having match making times over 10 minutes.When i select auto servers it even takes over 5 minutes splitting the player base now would make matching into a game way longer.I guarantee you will be back here complaining the same day saying you cant get into a match.I exclusively play solo and i can tell you beating squads can be much easier than you think.They make way more noise and give away position much easier than a solo player also they have to wonder if the footsteps they heard are from them or someone else.Don,t always take a fight you dont need to and dont be afraid to run away if you dont think you can win.AlWAYS use a silencer if you are solo and take a mosin with snb for chads as it wrecks armour.If you know your not going to win a fight run away or try and get a flank if they don't see you.

3 hours ago, tobiassolem said:

So you're saying you and your friends are cyclops? :D

Lol. Sets of. 

this is what happens when you type fast and don’t proof read. 

Here's the simple truth of Escape From Tarkov: It's made to make you suffer.

I love this game because it's not holding your hand. It's a GREAT feeling to take down that 5-man squad as a solo, but it's not an easy accomplishment.

Squads aren't just inherently better than running solo... You have to be aware of the situation you are in, the battles you can win, and how to SURVIVE. This game isn't always about winning fights, but to survive that encounter. Learning map knowledge, how players move, how groups communicate, etc. will all help you in winning those fights.

Squads have to communicate every move they make in order to prevent themselves from shooting each other. This game doesn't just show a big name tag over your teammates. They have to know when to shoot. If you're unfortunate enough to find yourself in the predicament of fighting a squad, use that to your advantage and CAUSE CONFUSION. You don't have to necessarily kill them all, but stir them up and make them afraid. Get that loot and SURVIVE!

I often hate playing solo because I have a quest to do something and in the process, if I die, I lose a lot of roubles. If that's the case, make friends. Stop flaming people who kill you or you kill in a fun fight and invite them in Discord and play with some people.

Personally I don't find squads that much harder than solos. 2-5 guys moving around is a lot easier to spot than one slow wary player. On top of that they are more likely to start shooting without really taking the time to line up their shots or get into a good position, they have the disadvantage of being overly confident and typically make more mistakes. I find with squads it's easier to just take a couple shots and move, keeping my eye on each one and just wearing them down until either they start running or start getting desperate. Granted you can't always gain the advantage straight away and some squads are just symbiotic and can wipe the floor with you but it's not that common. I will maybe come across a good squad every 3-4 matches.
It's not that I'm saying solo players are harder but they are way more deadly in those first few seconds of contact. I've died from instant headshots from solo players but never have been taken down in the first maybe 5 or 10 shots from a squad. Solo players are just way more likely to take their time and pick their shots.

I know the argument here is that the game isn't that accessible for solo players but I personally think you have the advantage of focus as a solo. You don't need to make mental notes of your teammates, where they are, what noises they are making and trying to filter it out listening for enemies. If you know where these "high traffic" zones are then you know when to slow down and be more observant, for me that's all it takes to see the squad up ahead and weigh up whether I can take them on or back off.

For the record I only play solo. I tried duo with a friend a couple times but he was too aggressive and would always fired upon anything that moved. So now I just play solo.

• Like 2

I go back and forth on whether there should be different matches for solos and squads.  I'm pretty new to it so I should probably keep on learning and get better.  At the end of the day, I like how this game challenges me like no game I've ever played before.  It's been a long time since I got an adrenaline rush from a video game.

• Like 1

Interesting post. I play solo and don't have an interest in squad play till I can find some reliable folks eventually.

I just downloaded this game and started playing this week. I have put in many an hour just learning Customs in offline mode with and without SCAV's just to learn exits, loot spots etc. . . I have also played online, again, just Customs, maybe twenty times this week. Only once as a BEAR, the rest of the time I'm a SCAV. And I play it, like a scavenger. I loot dead bodies, I get what I can from the stashes, but I play strict defense. I don't fire/engage ANYONE unless I absolutely have to. 

I was in the new gas station and I crept inside and heard a few AI SCAVS "chattting" followed by gunfire and more chatter. I knew a player was taking them on and winning. I figured this guy was a bit of a vet , so I camped out in one of the offices for like two minutes just being patient. I had no armor, and only a shotgun and I had some good loot having found the key to the room with the safe! So I really wanted to avoid engagements.

After the gunfire ceased I heard some slow walking outside. Sure enough, in walks a heavily armored dude and he is walking slowly away from the office where I am at and towards the back exit. Fearing that  he turns around to face me, I blasted him with two shots in the backside (didn't hurt him) and he bailed back out quickly past the pumps (the way he came in). I was no match for that dude, so I quickly bolted out the back door and down the street to the SCAV Checkpoint, my extract. Elbows and assholes down the road! I figured he was hiding out by the cars fixing on a full on assault on me. 

I try to pick my battles till I get more comfortable.

Never underestimate the ancient martial art of runyoassoff!!

• 3 months later...

Reading some of the stuff and I must say I'm pretty disappointed, the 'squad players only' mentality is pretty sad, you guys develop no personal skills and only rely on your boyfriends to hold your hand. I will never play this game with a squad because there's no risk and the reward is like flicking a booger off your finger, it has no satisfaction, you didn't earn those kills with your buddies.

Edited by BlameTheWarlord

3 hours ago, Previse said:

I agree with you, I end up killing 3/4 players, and I die because of the 4th.

I'm bored and tired, you don't listen to the community EFT, you are just looking to make $.

it's better for the BSG to not listen to these kinds of community ideas. stop giving suggestions like you already have seen on other games.