The Tarkov Shooter Part 8

3 PMC kills on woods in 1 raid with a mosin.

Change-  Kill Shturman with a mosin.

This quest is largely based on luck of what kind of players your going to run into and for more then one reason should be changed.

Reason 1.  2/3 Players and cant find another running the entire map nonstop.
Reason 2. Didn't rush to this quest after wipe?? Have fun Mosin VS M4/AK decked T4+ players.
Reason 3. Largely luck based and or hoping you run into 1/2 hatchlings / pistol players.

Reasons why this change would be good.
Reason 1. Players get stuck on this chain and are forced to stop progress on kappa --VERY-- demoralizing.
Reason 2. Shturman with a mosin is still a hard fight, Mosin is bolt, His SVD is not bolt and firing 7n1 i.e still a challenge.
Reason 3. Easier to find and kill Shturman then to find 3 PMC's over the course of 1 raid.
Reason 4. Easier for MidTier/LowerTier players to complete.

Peace and love friends.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Completely agree, I have noted this as one of the most annoying parts in the game for me i.e. "grindy quests" or I guess in this case "luck based quests"

As you noted this is based purely on luck and there are plenty quests like this e.g. killing 4 PMCs with Pistol again is based on luck - in this wipe I started it early and it looked easy - actually completed it in 2 runs. Once killed 3 in factory and second time 4 in single run. just pure luck as I run into 4 hatchlings. But there were times in the last wipe where I thought I don't want to play this game again! it must have taken like 25 raids, because I started in mid wipe and by then everyone were running lvl3+ armours.

My suggestion overall was to separate "story quests" i.e. the ones which you must complete to level the traders and progress with storyline and "challenges" - optional achievements which maybe unlocks a mod or ammot type, but does not stop the progress.

The story quest should be something specific and not based on luck like - marking the trucks, tanks or buses. Or finding certain quest item e.g. unlock this room find the document case. That sort of things.

The challenges - would be things like this, kill certain amount of PMC or SCAVs or something else. Could be based on luck and simply completed over the time when opportunity presents itself.

As for this quest in particular and without full overhault of the game, I would just simplify it by changing criteria to killing 3 PMCs (no matter the number of raids) or even 5 PMC. It would still be grindy, but one could complete it over time - few PMCs in one raid then few more in another and eventually it is done.

As for killing Sturman there is already a quest "Huntsman path - Woods keeper", it seems killing the same poor guy twice would be too much. Let him be!

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...
WegMacher

This is even more rediculous now. The map is huge, tier 5 armor getting cheaper... have fun finding 3 pmc's and kill them all with a bolt action :/

• Upvote 1
kanariewietje
On 1/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, tarkovacc111 said:

its so easy to do lol

Yeah i know right? I spend at least 18 hours a day playing tarkov, thank god i don't have a job or have to pay rent. You see i live with my mom. And it's not even that, i don't have to worry about futile social events because i have 90/100 autism so i can spend every waking moment playing tarkov.

Also i like to spam ''git gud lol'' and ''It's so easy lol'' on the forums....

• Thanks 1
  • Hot 1
  • Upvote 4
macromongoose

Even if "its so easy to do lol" is the reply for some people, you have to agree that this is by far one of the hardest quests in the game. Getting headshots with tremor was so much easier.

This quest needs nerfing, maybe have it 3 kills without dying in between? I don't like to feel I'm being pressured to EXFIL camp but it seems that that's where this is going. 

Even when I camp sought out areas like the sawmill I get a few kills and then a surprise shturman emerges and that whole fight attracts all the enemies to me like flies. If only i didn't have a scav boss that shoots me through bushes, distracting me

• Upvote 1
gNecrOz

I would like to clarify that you do not have to use a mosin for this task 🤔. You must only use a Bolt Action Rifle. 

image.png.3aff048736544f0cb49e4f51615ffd91.png

The reason I make this distinction is you are not limited to using just the 7.62x54R, as I see one of the complaints are: "you must face T4 armor or M4s."

First of all, you should be sniping, not running up on someone. That is the point of the task; you are not expect to play like a streamer and run up on people for the memes and the action to catch views. You are, generally, expected to play this task as a sniper and use stalking and stealth for this task. It is not intended to play it like a COD or BF soldier running people down with you bolty trying to get a sweet CQB with it. You should be carrying a side arm of some kind, either a pistole with decent ammo or a submachinegun of some kind. I would say a Vector 9mm with the M700 would be a solid choice of load out for this. 

-------------

If you are so inclined to be scared of the high class armor I present you with this,

Spoiler

image.png.744c04a48f26dad9a69db9cef8cca0a1.pngimage.png.bff5ada365ffd6068102ebe97dcccf63.png

7N37 for the Mosin and SV-98 and M993 for the M700 and DVL - 10. Both of these rounds boast the Pen to shred all classes of armor and the damage to easily two tap thorax or one tap a high class helmet, which is what you should be shooting for to begin with. 

-------------

Finally, Hunting Trip is basically what you want this quest to become like. Before anyone tries to say that , "No that quest is building weapons." well it was, not anymore:

image.png.51be2786e1722fb42b9c65645ef1e35c.png

So really, I would say if anything to improve the quest and chances of getting players. I would be fine with seeing the maps go from Woods; to Woods, Shoreline, or Reserve. Maybe streets when it is finally out, but till then I am fine with woods. To improve your chances of getting PMCs you just need to know where players want to frequent and know where good places are to shoot from. I also suggest using something that can give you ranges for shots, or practice them offline first to see what distances are to what before you attempt to in raid this.

-------------

This task is not that hard. I work 40 hours a week with random overtime in my local Hospital in the OR as a RN and I had no real issues with it. I have a wife and friends in and out all the time. It sucks and it is not the easiest to complete, that is true. The pay off, however, of knowing you did it is what counts; and if the quests and making sweet headshots in this game or having memorable CQBs or Sniping in the game doesn't give you satisfaction. Then I am truly curious to know why play a game like this? I am curious, I am not attacking anyone; I would just genuinely like to know what aspects of the game then, provide you with the same enjoyment. :) 

EDIT: I did just see the OP was from June of 2020, the task was changed in Oct 2020

image.png.edf9d85def3273e733b98402b1cee7c5.png

Edited by gNecrOz
Noting the changes since the date of the original post.
nightwraith567

Problem with this quest is you can't just snipe people. You actually have to run to the players and also be lucky. This quest is the only obstacle between me and Kappa and I can't finish it. I run to the scav house in early raid, mill, rocks in between them, and town. It is basically me running into high geared players and die or stuck at 2 people at best. I don't even consider possibility to miss which I learn to not since I've been playing Woods for 2 days straight now. Also, Woods lives up to its name, so it's easy for players to just ''disappear.'' I'm frustrated at this point as I drain down all of my money, and I actually gag everytime I press the play button just because this quest. It needs a sharp change. Escape from Tarkov was bad in terms of mission (its funny how they will only wipe when quests are changed because "they're working on it") but this quest is just pressing to the limits of bad quest design. 

Ayers_Rock

In order to complete this quest you must find and kill three PMCs on Woods. If you sit and wait for PMCs to run to you, it is unlikely you will find three of them due to the size and layout of the map, although you are more likely to kill them due to the element of surprise. This approach, while still requiring skill, is largely based on luck.

Alternatively, you could chase down players by running towards gunfights or spawns. However, this reduces your chance of being able to actually kill the PMCs -- a bolt action rifle against a full/semi auto weapon is the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gun fight. You will find more players, but you are less likely to kill them. This strategy is therefore more skill intensive, though still requiring a decent amount of luck.

Neither of these approaches are very fun nor engaging. In one scenario you simply sit, wait, and hope for players to run across your crosshairs. In the other you constantly chase players and get your teeth punched in by people running better kit than you. Not to mention you aren't guaranteed, even with this method, to find three PMCs -- last wipe I would kill one, maybe two people, then run around until the raid timer hit zero. I cannot imagine how mind-numbingly boring this quest will be this wipe with the map becoming 2.5x larger than it was previously without an appropriate increase in player count.

This frustration is simply due to the fact that the 3 PMCs must be found in the same raid. Changing the task to "Kill 3 PMCs with a bolt-action rifle on Woods without dying" would maintain the same idea the quest is going for without having the infuriating requirement of not only finding -- but killing -- all three in the same raid. This would make the slower paced gameplay that Tarkov strives for a more viable strategy while the more aggressive playstyle is relatively untouched.

As many of the comments on this thread have said, this quest is the epitome of poor quest design in EFT. It is frustrating, entirely based on luck, and the only reliable way to complete it is to sink hours/days into this quest alone.

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind this quest being changed so it is available on all maps, not only Woods. That way at least you can attempt to finish it on Factory.

Edited by Ayers_Rock
Additional thought
  • Upvote 1
gNecrOz
8 hours ago, Ayers_Rock said:

"Kill 3 PMCs with a bolt-action rifle on Woods without dying"

I can get behind this. 👍

8 hours ago, Ayers_Rock said:

I also wouldn't mind this quest being changed so it is available on all maps, not only Woods. That way at least you can attempt to finish it on Factory.

I, personally, prefer it staying to the larger maps to simulate that "Sniper" feel the missions are going for, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion. You are not wrong and I am not wrong ❤️ whatever they pick, if it is to keep it the same as is or change it a little, I support it.

I think something else we should all think about, as the servers improve, the player counter on the maps will begin to go to a more reasonable point to map size. Right now, the load are servers is a lot and only time will tell if this mission is easier in the future do to the increase that may or may not come to the number of PMCs on map at one Raid.

All in all, good suggestion and well put ^_^ 

Revelayshuns

I feel like killing shturman with a mosin is too easy, especially with everyone being able to get onto the sniper mountain now without having to glitch up it all weird. Maybe kill him like 3 times with a mosin, but once is too easy. But i do completely agree that getting 3 pmcs in a raid is way too much.

gNecrOz
9 minutes ago, Revelayshuns said:

Maybe kill him like 3 times with a mosin

image.thumb.png.07e83d4e631af5d0c6ae8433865882f6.png

image.thumb.png.80804a253c73208e08c9a0843df07b9a.png

This is already a thing, across 3 quests, so I am pretty against adding in another run of, Kill this guy with another weapon because people find PVP with a Bolt Action rifle hard.

I am fine with the idea of the the 3 PMCs without Dying. This allows several raids and lets people take it very slow in stead of feeling rushed to try and either fight in CQB with a Bolt Action or to try and move a lot while sniping.

Revelayshuns

i have never gotten that far, the OP said it was in 1 raid so thats what i was basing that off of. 3 without dying across multiple works fine for me

gNecrOz
43 minutes ago, Revelayshuns said:

i have never gotten that far, the OP said it was in 1 raid so thats what i was basing that off of. 3 without dying across multiple works fine for me

No worry's no flames or hate. This post was a dead thread from June of 2020. It was recently revived, for whatever reason and I just took the time in my posts to explain the changes that have already been implemented. I also feel like the people attempting this quest do not try to play it the way I think the devs intended it to be played. Everyone likes to try and be like Papa Pest or Daddy Kotton or Uncle Deadly and run up on people with bolties. If you are good at it great, but that is going to be harder with the inertia and momentum changes coming to movement in the next patch as well as this a "Sniping" quest. I think they want you to stalk the prey and find the best spots and get some nice sniper kills and if you have shooter born in heaven at the time you can clear out the kills on it too if possible. You have to aggressively position yourself to a vantage of high traffic areas. These new places would be the FOB, Sawmill, and USEC. The villages are okay, but they are not the best for this, but if you have an idea of PMC traffic you can easily get this quest finished. Get the kills, and get out, you are not there for loot. I digress though, I am not here to try and soap box, I am just saying it is not as hard as people make it out to be and I think people are making it hard on themselves then it needs to be.

PadagiTV

This quest is super frustrating.

It's actually relatively easy to get 2 kills in one raid. But the third one is usually either too late in the raid (no PMCs left) or you have to play too aggressively and chase shots, ultimately getting yourself killed by one of the few players remaining.

I now know the map like the back of my hand across maybe 50-60 raids. Know every spawn. Know all the high traffic areas. It doesn't really matter. I did this across the last like 6 nights (totally maybe 40-50 hours of gameplay). I got all 3 Shooter Born in Heaven shots after half that time, I probably have 10 or more 100 meter shots. I have had 6 raids of 2 kills but none that are 3 kills. I probably had 10 kills without dying at some points but not 3 in a single raid.

It's just luck and with the size of the map, getting 3 kills means either getting very lucky or just playing super aggressive until you get the 3 kills.

Edited by PadagiTV
PadagiTV

The biggest problem with this type of quest isn't that it is hard, it's that it's all or nothing. You don't work towards this quest. You don't progress towards accomplishing it or anything like that. You feel stuck.

You might get it on your 1st raid or 500th raid and no matter how you spin it or tell people how they "should" do it (I agree, it's designed as a stealth and snipe quest), that "all or nothing" objective requirement feels super bad.

Edited by PadagiTV
PadagiTV

Frankly, as crazy as it sounds, it's probably easier to have the quest be "Kill 50 PMCs with a bolt action rifle on Woods" or something similar.

• Like 1
gNecrOz
42 minutes ago, PadagiTV said:

The biggest problem with this type of quest isn't that it is hard, it's that it's all or nothing. You don't work towards this quest. You don't progress towards accomplishing it or anything like that. You feel stuck.

You might get it on your 1st raid or 500th raid and no matter how you spin it or tell people how they "should" do it (I agree, it's designed as a stealth and snipe quest), that "all or nothing" objective requirement feels super bad.

and I do agree with you on that front, which is why I agreed with the suggestion of changing to something like 3 - 5 PMCs without dying. Still holds the same weight, just has a slightly reduced failure. I can get behind that kind of quest.

EDIT: And, just to add, I am not trying to tell people how to play, I guess it can come across that way but; play EFT how you want to play it, everyone should play how they want. I am just trying to help out the people who are frustrated and explaining how I have always approached this mission. Honestly, people need to use the SV-98 for this now because the ERGO buff to it makes it about the best long hold sighting sniper now that is bolt action. But please, everyone, I have a lot of time on this game, but I will not tell you how to play it. Just trying to give some helpful advice. If you can Duo or squad the mission too, I recommend it for the cover of sniping and for spotting.

Edited by gNecrOz
just a little added thing.
PadagiTV

Not really an issue about your suggestion on playstyle as I agree (it should be sniper-ish and sneaky).

At the same time, I think you really need to have a lot of luck in the combination of how aggressive/passive you play and the players you get in your raid. You might not get the right combination for 50 or more raids which is pretty bad. You will eventually get it I am sure. But current design is pretty piss poor.

I have been using SV-98 and I do agree it is better than the Mosin and the best of the bolt actions you can choose from. I don't know if being in a duo or group is better as you do get cover but then there are less players on the map for you to potentially kill, especially if you go in a larger group. It does allow you to play more aggressively though.

ALLynil
18 minutes ago, PadagiTV said:

Lol.

No.

Well then find your own way. Thats how i do it each wipe. All of my friends too. It usually takes 3 to 6 raids.

PadagiTV
3 minutes ago, ALLynil said:

Well then find your own way. Thats how i do it each wipe. All of my friends too. It usually takes 3 to 6 raids.

Guessing this is in first few days of the wipe?

ALLynil
4 minutes ago, PadagiTV said:

Guessing this is in first few days of the wipe?

Unfortunately no. It is hell and it is not enjoyable as most quests especialy those from jaeger. Pray for duo as you rush past spawns then pray for one more random. It sucks. It seems that anything else is pointless given how big the map is after update. Also check the sniper rocks for easy kills just be sure to know how far those spots are so you can reliably one tap them in a head. It is cca 250 from the logs to the sniper scav.

Edited by ALLynil
PadagiTV
32 minutes ago, ALLynil said:

Unfortunately no. It is hell and it is not enjoyable as most quests especialy those from jaeger. Pray for duo as you rush past spawns then pray for one more random. It sucks. It seems that anything else is pointless given how big the map is after update. Also check the sniper rocks for easy kills just be sure to know how far those spots are so you can reliably one tap them in a head. It is cca 250 from the logs to the sniper scav.

Ok, fair enough.

After maybe 50 raids of trying this is a short analysis I did of each spawn:

image.thumb.png.33a0038dfcfe5dc41f22d1c2cece0193.png

Then I did the pathing options that give you the best chance of an engagement in the first 5-7 minutes (there are others, these are the ones I have gotten the most kills on):

image.thumb.png.d9d075f782e66d7cead01ed4658bd3c1.png

If you succeed on your first engagement and get 1-2 kills your best bet is to either camp the body/bodies as bait (if it's in the open) to see if anybody else comes to the noise... You can do that for several minutes (or test your luck for the rest of the raid basically if it is a body in a high traffic area), or rotate again (don't loot any bodies unless they are close and only take the dogtag) to one of the other common paths (likely one of the highlighted arrows already on the map).

I think the most likely places to get it while being sneaky/sniping and not ramboing is the East Lumber (lumber overlook) and Southwest Lumber (beach overlook, sniper rock visibility) or USEC camp.

If you haven't gotten a kill on your first rotation, odds are very low of getting all 3 in a single raid. You will get caught rotating, or not see enough players the rest of the raid to complete the quest (at least that is my experience across about 50 hours of doing this quest).

These are the notable high traffic areas but they can be pretty inconsistent (even lumber mill and USEC, being the most common, are hihgly inconsistent on a per-raid basis at this point in the wipe):

image.thumb.png.dbf65cb10702e22b675dfc6f60afbe11.png

Open to suggestions here. Maybe I'm missing some common pathing areas or high traffic spots that would make this quest easier/faster to complete. But I'm pretty confident that I have a pretty good grasp on good spots to get kills, high traffic areas and common path spawning and still have had no luck so far.

I could do even more detailed maps with distances which could help other people who get stuck but not until I'm finished with the quest.... rofl if I finish it that is.

Edited by PadagiTV