Redangelguts

A more dynamic system to scavs

Redangelguts

On certain maps like (Shoreline and Woods especially, although this will benefit all maps) you will often find large areas, especially wooded areas that are completely devoid of action. There is also the issue that scavs that are merely patrolling have a steep cost on server performance. What I propose is a system so scavs generally no longer randomly patrol and spawn in unmanned areas, but instead they spawn nearby players out of line of sight, possibly in bushes or behind distinct hard covered spots, then get up to attack the player specifically, similar to tagged and cursed style of AI. Replacing tagged and cursed status with merely more of them generally attacking towards the player and earlier on in the game cycle. The key being that only a few groups of scavs will spawn to engage the GENERAL area of 1-2 players before being despawned if there is no line of sight, causing minimal strain on servers while maximizing engagements, all while seamlessly feeling like real static scavs that dynamically hunt players with real communications and game sense. It might be hard to code the spawns work well without popping in, but I've seen it function already with PvE mode tagged and cursed with great results, like the code is already there but not perfected for PvP online with multiple players yet.

This way there is less overhead and more server performance, as well as a method to make the more open parts of the map more hectic, it also reduces camping and forces more intelligent choices for where snipers will find openings. It adds to realism for scavs in a sense where they should be knowledgeable of these areas and more dynamically hunting players with their obvious entrances and exits.

Intelligently done AI for scavs is a great way to reduce massive performance cost while pushing overall aggression and game dynamics for PvP since it won't be so blindingly obvious who is and is not a scav since scavs will no longer occupy a simple area with basic waypoints, but instead have many dynamic paths and be able to spawn where needed; with each player on the map generally encountering 1-5 scavs, sometimes with more aggression and sometimes more passive spawns with waypoints like they are currently although being a rarity to add more unpredictability and population in the distance.

Another way to increase dynamic nature is having the static sniper spawns patrol, even if its very rarely just to the edges of the building they're on, it's strange they stay perfectly static on roofs.

afgan_

Not sure where you get the idea that scavs uses much of the server resources... I am not saying they are not, I am just wondering why you think so?

Secondly, I think that opposite would be more realistic i.e. deadicated spots where scavs "live" and are loaded from the beginning of the game. Granted some more scavs can get into the area, but I am fine with that being reserved for "player" scavs. 

Taking woods as example scavs are already very annoying there - when you need to kill some... they are never around and any time you actually trying to sneak onto somebody there are always scavs appearing from nowhere and the only way you know because some bush is shouting "ach ty shalava"! Sometimes is not even possible to see where they are, because they just literally see you through the trees. 

My view, again, would be that most realistic system would be if 5 scavs just sit next to some sort of camfire and eat "Semechki" whilst passing rounds of vodka around. Thus players could ambush the group without alerting much of other players or be done with group of scavs in few seconds - sort of ambush and retreat. 

Redangelguts
On 7/3/2020 at 11:51 AM, afgan_ said:

Not sure where you get the idea that scavs uses much of the server resources... I am not saying they are not, I am just wondering why you think so?

They do, every time a scav needs to "think" that is the servers cpu performance that could be devoted to processing an entire new game...

afaik (minor programming knowledge) a single scavs AI is more demanding than the rest of the players positions being transmitted; since nothing needs to be calculated it's just sending out data for real players; AKA your brain does the calculating

although I love the idea of having more scavs roaming around in wooded areas with an encampment, and it totally could be doable with this system as well; randomly spawning them at one of several encampment points if players are nearby

case in point as to why scavs should randomly move to attack a player (one of the only ways I can imagine combating this issue):

look up "ExfilCamper" on twitch...

at least with this system he would have to deal with a few scavs revealing his position every once in a while xD

afgan_

I mean granted they use some server resources, but in grand scheme of things it would be very tiny. SCAVs "AI" is not that complex and to be fair not even true "AI", they just have basic script to run onto, with certain conditional triggers. Yes perhaps when SCAVs going to start co-ordinating attacks with other SCAVs it may become more complex, but at the moment is fairly basic.

For example when playing offline at which point I tend to believe SCAVs actions are calculated locally on my CPU, my CPU usage does not change even the slightest. FPS, GPU usage and CPU usage does not change at all whenever I am playing with high number of hard SCAVs on tagged and cursed mode or if I play without SCAVs at all.

That said I think it would be fair to say, neither of us can say for sure - I don't know what BSG servers are running on or what specific percentage of the resources they use.

Kral

Scavs use a lot of server resources, Nikita has stated it a couple of times. Nevertheless I don't like the idea of scavs spawning in areas I've already cleared, or players camping obscure corners of maps and farming the scavs that spawn next to them. I think the current system is great and pushes players to explore all over to hunt for them.