Sign in to follow this  
TechoverMana

Idea grab bag

TechoverMana

This is just a list of ideas I've had and putting out to others while taking a break.

1) I think there should be much more realistic pricing generally speaking. As I've said before elsewhere, I think it's extremely odd, to the point beyond what you could call realistic, for the prices of some items. Some examples are of how much fuel costs,  (and using the ingame conversion of 118 rubles/dollar, and 133 rubles/Euro IRL it'd be around 70 for USD, or 80 rubles/Euro)

At 89475/ 20L, which is rounded to 4474 rubles a liter for petrol, or translates to ~144 dollars per gallon of gas, or 33.64 Euros/Liter. Zimbabwe which has the worst gas prices on Earth, still clocks in at around 12 dollars per gallon by comparison.
Water is even worse, .6 L of water costs 12066, 20110 per liter, which is about 151 Euros per liter, or 645 dollars per gallon.
Crackers, from a combat ration somehow cost 18160 rubles, which is 153 dollars or 136 euros for what look like anywhere from 6-8 crackers.
Now, this is minor, but its part of it, since it wasn't too long ago when a box of pineapple juice only was like 500 rubles rubles, or 4.23 dollars or 3.75 Euros, which seems much more realistic, and its because it is relatively inconsequential which makes it more perplexing why to set prices like this.

But I think this obviously also extends to weapons, armor and ammo. Easiest example is the Mosin, which originally when it came out seemed relatively realistically priced in the 15-20k region, but now costs more than an SV98, which that weapon costs well over 2000 dollars. I know some issues can be brought up about how it is, but I can't see how a weapon in massive surplus costing in many bad areas under 100 bucks, ends up more expensive than a weapon that costs thousands of dollars, and somehow can be considered realistic.

Again, it's just to illustrate, and I know there's going to be some arguments about balance and such, but I'd still say it should strive to be as real as possible (and note that many cheap, surplus Mosins have MOAs well above 2, while the SV98 is under 1, so I'd say reflect a realistic performance, and it'll help reflect the realistic pricing.) But I'd say this across the board, even if it's un-intuitive, or even counter-intuitive, such as how they've handled pistol and SMG prices to make it more viable, which I disagree with. If an MP5 IRL is on average ~30% more expensive than an M4, despite the advantages of an M4 over an MP5, I'd say that's just reflecting the harshness and reality of the world and how things are manufactured, the same way having no tags and arrows above heads, or a minimap, ect because it's not realistic.

2) Strength.
I know the skill rework is coming in the next few weeks, so I won't be extensive on this since for all I know, the rework could fix all the issues with it right now. Generally speaking, strength skill makes very little sense for how it gains, and is overly restrictive, and currently, for extremely little benefit, since I think even realistically, going from say a person of intermediate strength of an average soldier to what is supposed to be elite should be significant, although not overpowering as early elite I think was something like double speed and jumping height. I'm thinking more like going from 20% now to more like 35-50% depending on category.

With that, lots of suggestions abound for a home gym in the hideout. Keeping in with the Russian spirit, I'd suggest the creation of the item the Kettlebell, a large one at 2 pood , and a smaller one at 1.5 or 1 pood. Along with that, some more regular stuff for a proper home gym, a few varieties of dumb bells, and perhaps at Level 3 Home gym, stuff to make a treadmill and/or power rack with olympic bar to do strength and endurance training. Again, keeping it short, and moving on.

3)Item availability and locations
I'm not sure why it is, but I don't think I've ever come across an SSD naturally, and especially not an SAS drive outside of the ones needed for Peacekeepers quest. And I have no idea why this is the case. Especially if Tarkov is in the future, you would think SSDs would be even more common. I'm not asking for them to be in every computer, but I think its weird that it's not even in the loot table for a computer, even if it was only like a 1% super rare item spawn. Same with the tech stores, shouldn't an SSD in fact be even more common than a graphics card as far as what's randomly left behind on shelves? Right now, I don't think the SSD can even be found outside of the areas where literally any item has a chance to spawn such as behind old gas, which just seems absurd to me. Especially for things like Techlight, or the White Queen on Reserve.

Sort of lead me to the idea of other areas being able to have things in them. There's lots of abandoned cars around, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to pop the hood and get things like batteries, spark plugs, hoses, wires, and motors out of there, at reasonable rates, as well as be able to siphon off fuel. Currently, we can't take a fuel tank and try to refill it, but I don't see why we shouldn't from cars, the abandoned fuel trucks, the gas stations, ect. And perhaps BSG has this planned eventually, but I'd at least like to make the suggestion then.

4) Crafting times, parallel processing or making more than one and using items, additional Hideout ideas.
I think some of the wait times for crafting are sort of absurd or don't make sense, and need to be adjusted. For example, it takes a pair of t-plugs, 2 wires, and a roll of tape to create a powercord in 35 minutes, but somehow taking a pair of powercord apart to get wires takes almost 2 hours when it's just stripping it down?
And some items I don't think should be consumed during the crafting process depending on the items. Namely, using 4 working LCDs and a screwdriver to make 4 broken LCDs, it consumes the screwdriver. But why? How hard was the character smashing these that it shattered or bent a screwdriver? This goes for many things that consume some tools in their creation when you'd just be able to use that screwdriver for years with no problem. Same with the metal scissors, or nippers for magazine boxes or scav box. They should be usable again and again because tools just don't disappear after you're done with them, no one realistically just goes through like 5 screw drivers in a day or something. They're meant to be used for years, decades even.

Perhaps this will be a skill on its own, but I also think you should be able to process more than one set at a time, or make more than one at a time. Perhaps it could be limited to x amount per station, or linked to level. So level 1 workbench, can only make 1 thing at a time. Level 2, can make more things, but also work on more than 1 item at a time, and so on.

Also, I think water collector level 2 should allow you to craft .6 L bottles of water, and then you can take bottles of water over to the Nutrition area, and perhaps it'd need additional items in the game, but I think you should be able to craft a lot more drinks, such as the vita juice, pineapple juice, ect, and be able to use the Coffee Majaica to create a cup of coffee that could be similar to the Hot Rod or Max Energy in effect, or create a thermos, 1 Aquamari and one Coffee to have a Coffee thermos.

Anyway, that's it for random thoughts and idea springing to mind. Understandably, the game is in beta, so for all I know all these issues and ideas get put in next patch, but it's just stuff on my mind I felt worth sharing between the rounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

afgan_
8 hours ago, TechoverMana said:

1) I think there should be much more realistic pricing generally speaking. 

2) Strength -gym in the hideout.

3)Item availability and locations -  SSDs more common.
pop the hood and get things like batteries, spark plugs, hoses, wires, and motors out of there, at reasonable rates, as well as be able to siphon off fuel.

4) Crafting times, 

Generally, many great ideas, cannot comment on all because it would take too long, but 

1. On pricing I agree. Although I would imagine everything is more expensive in warzone, especially supplies like food and medicine at the same time a lot of prices simply does not make sense, not only for buying but as well selling. Mosin is kind of interesting example, because whole "surplus monsin for $100" thing is thing of the past IRL (maybe early 2000's). Nowadays it has become sort of collectors items and actually quite hard to comeby working example. I think the best thing would be to take it away from traders all together and let the market decide the price i.e maybe scav had one under the bed from his grand grand father hunting years, but it is not like you can go to gun store and just buy antique mosin + IRL is obsolete and nobody in right mind would take mosin over AK47, not even talking about AKM or AK74. So mosin is just too easy to use, too quick to scope, cycle and reload and makes it better and more desirable than it should be.

2. Gym in hideout is very interesting idea, I guess it could be used for passively raising and maintaining strength or by adding bonus to the physical skill training e.g. Lvl1 gym +10%, lvl2 +15, lvl 3 + 25%.

3. this actually caught my eye and is extremely strange and unrealistic. First of all there should be high chance of finding any computer parts in computers overall, like graphic cards should be probably in 25% of computers. SDDs even nowadays are in at very least 50% of computers... actually nowadays more computers have SSDs than the DVD drives... basically every computer should have CPU, CPU fan, PSU, RAM, HDD, SSD and VGA... assumption is that some parts may have been damaged or already taken, so lets say 25% chance to find any of these parts in any computer. SAS should be found commonly in the servers in high quantities like 6x. In this wipe I am yet to find VGA, and from 2 CPUs I have found none were in PC.. I think I found one is duffle bag or draw and other one in player scav.

and I agree on all car parts - it seems that if you need any car part the logical place to check would be under the bonnet. 

syphoning fuel is such a great idea that I am surprised it has not been implemented yet.

4. agree - crafts and crafting times generally does not make sense or lack consistent logic. I am not saying overall crafting system is bad, but somebody simply needs to look at the conditions and apply some logic.

TechoverMana
8 hours ago, afgan_ said:

Mosin is kind of interesting example, because whole "surplus monsin for $100" thing is thing of the past IRL (maybe early 2000's).

I think this is the case in the US, but mostly because of a US arms import restriction against Russia, and because of that, the prices rose as the supply dropped. This also still wouldn't explain why the SV98, which costs 2000-3000 dollars, is somehow less expensive than a Mosin in the area of tops, a few hundred bucks even after embargos and such. As far as how well a Mosin operates today probably largely depends on how well it was maintained over time or while it was in surplus, which could be anything from inoperable from broken firing pin or bent barrel, to just needing a quick cleaning off the dust and being almost as good as new.

afgan_

somewhat true and not... the whole $100 was only ever US thing. Simply at some point there were many surplus Mosins at the start of Russian army modernisation and somebody in US managed to secure the guns at the price of scrap metal and imported them in US. Sudden explosion in supply and low demand for what was inherently obsolete weapon and mostly poorly maintained after collapse of USSR cause few years of "$100 mosin" period... But that was only that - worldwide it has never been widely traded weapon and overall gun trade is like that only in US, for the rest of the world gun trade is rather low volume business. The only real reason why anybody were interested is because at $100 it was worth it to repair and restoration. The actual good condition well maintained Mosins were never cheap nor common.

The point I was trying to make overall - the first issue is that you can simply go and buy unlimited amount of what is IRL rare historic weapon from weapons dealer. Second issue is that mosin in this game works as if it is brand new and fully functional weapon, whereas in reality they are obsolete weapons and majority in very poor condition.

The difference for SV-98 is that it is openly traded modern weapon which could be bought new and supply is not limited. From practical sense no sane person would ever take Mosin over SV-98. Even the way it works in the game SV-98 is much better weapon and the only reason Mosin is in demand.. is because it is required for many quests.

TechoverMana
On 7/5/2020 at 11:56 AM, afgan_ said:

Second issue is that mosin in this game works as if it is brand new and fully functional weapon, whereas in reality they are obsolete weapons and majority in very poor condition.

And I'd say that'd be the bigger thing to work on than say adjusting the price, is how it's likely to perform. It's obsolete for a reason, and reflecting those reasons to the game would be better than the even worse IMO mistake of making a 90 year old weapon perform comparably to a modern day sniper rifle.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:56 AM, afgan_ said:

the only reason Mosin is in demand.. is because it is required for many quests.

That, and it performs much, much better than I believe an old milsurp Mosin would put into someone's hands as we believe it to be. But yeah, the fact so many quests are attached to it doesn't help either. The SV-98 should be able to run laps around it, but right now their performance is pretty much comparable, and that doesn't seem realistic to me.

• Like 1

Paescu96
On 7/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, afgan_ said:

3. this actually caught my eye and is extremely strange and unrealistic. First of all there should be high chance of finding any computer parts in computers overall, like graphic cards should be probably in 25% of computers. SDDs even nowadays are in at very least 50% of computers... actually nowadays more computers have SSDs than the DVD drives... basically every computer should have CPU, CPU fan, PSU, RAM, HDD, SSD and VGA... assumption is that some parts may have been damaged or already taken, so lets say 25% chance to find any of these parts in any computer. SAS should be found commonly in the servers in high quantities like 6x. In this wipe I am yet to find VGA, and from 2 CPUs I have found none were in PC.. I think I found one is duffle bag or draw and other one in player scav.

Most PCs ingame are Office PCs, no company invests money in SSDs or VGAs, they go for the cheapest neccessary, HDD and onboard graphics.

The on other Parts i agree.

afgan_
Posted (edited)

In terms of graphic cards - yes office PC usually does not have them. However, there are many locations which I would consider like "laboratory" or "research centre" and those should have "workstation" grade PCs, not only with multiple graphics cards, but sometimes multiple processors. Whenever they are suitable for bitcoin farming.. that is different thing IRL nobody farms bitcoin on GPUs, there are ASICs for that.

As for SSDs, you literally cannot buy Office PC without one, my work is IT related and all of Office PC and laptops had SDD for last ~8-10 years. For some context that is financial industry in UK, so perhaps "poorer" industrustries in poorer countries still get some biggest trash of all trashes deals of obsolete computers. This is further true, that the office PC were some of the first to move over to SSD - you see at home or for gaming you generally need a lot of space to keep the media, in office you don't need much space for windows itself and few spreadsheets.. as such even early 32GB-64Gb SDDs were plenty large enough for offices.

@TechoverMana - absolutely, current mosin in the game works as if Prapor has unlimited supply of brand new, perfect condition and best quality rifles ever.

I was reading up on Mosins latelly, especially when it comes to Finish mosin development and famous Simo Häyhä, who used specifically Finnish M/28-30 rifle. The point is that even in 1920's Mosins were considered obsolete (for reasons), but due to financial issues Finnish could develop entirely new rifle, thus have significantly reworked them to keep them usable until around WW2, this included completely new barrels, sights and furniture. The only remaining parts were bolts and receivers, even those were refurbished and modified. 

In summary, by the time WW1 ended Mosin was obsolete and required huge modifications to remain serviceable rifle... Finland was one of the countries which kept mosins by heavily modifying them and even then by the end of WW2 that was no longer viable.

Edited by afgan_

TechoverMana
On 7/7/2020 at 2:28 AM, Paescu96 said:

Most PCs ingame are Office PCs, no company invests money in SSDs or VGAs

Depends on the company and how well it's doing or backed, and their particular industry. Interchange where I assume most of the computers are in the back are just for accounting or inventory management, sure, probably just buying computers in bulk from Dell or something. But the computers on labs would more than likely be using both SSDs and not necessarily like gaming graphics cards, but the ones meant for research, stuff like the Quadro series for computer aided design and modelling if they're doing like physics or robotics work. I really feel the Unity computer in dorms should be lootable and have a high chance for the higher end tech stuff like SSDs and graphics cards in them, or the ones in the mansions on Shoreline or in the Resort especially that someone would have for home use, or again, for secret research like it seems to be so using high end computers make sense, especially for the SSD part. There's a lot of companies that give employees laptops and tablets that have SSDs and even graphics cards in them depending on the work they're doing, and this will only go up as we move into the future, they'll get more common.
I'm not saying it has to be a guarantee, but there probably should just be like a 5% chance for an SSD to spawn, and like 1% chance for graphics card or something on a regular PC block, and this would probably go up to like 50% and 10% for the computers on labs or the unity gaming computer. (Frankly, they should just have some residential areas have gaming computers that have a different loot table with a chance to spawn these items.)

It just feels odd to have an item that's tied into a lot of stuff that isn't even that rare that can't be found in game, especially the SSD because there's no way the SSD is somehow more rare than a graphics card. There should be like 4 of them for every graphics card in Tech light or whatever realistically.