GymTime

Feeling defeated, I can't seem to kill anyone

GymTime
Posted (edited)

I have almost 200 hours in-game playing solo. My kill count is 4 PMCs. 3 of those were against ungeared players where I managed to head shot them while they were looting. Pathetic, I know.

I've been gaming for around 20 years and do well on other FPS games, but really struggling with Tarkov. I've practiced all kinds of strategies, practiced a ton in offline raids, studied the maps. I have no problem clearing a raid of all AI Scavs/bosses offline. But against other players I just can't win.

I thought when I hit level 10 and had access to buy good ammo, that would help, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I just lost 300k on Customs, geared up with level 4 armor and helmet, fully modded AK, with tons of mags full of 5.45 BS rounds. Within the first minute, see a guy running toward me, I aim, hit him 5 times (tried to aim for thorax/head but he was moving so was hard to tell) but may have hit center mass. He runs behind cover, I get behind cover, he peaks and I hit him 2 more times. He then proceeds to one shot me in the Thorax and I die.

Post damage screen says I took away 188 health and 21 was absorbed by armor. 7 hits but I barely did anything to him.

I've played lots of realistic/simulator shooters and am good at positioning and getting the drop on someone. Yet in Tarkov, even when I get the first shots off and dump multiple rounds into someone, they never die. Then in return, they kill me in 1-2 shots. I've had cases of hitting someone 22+ times with no luck.

I kept reading "use better ammo" and I'm running better ammo now but even with my most recent fights using the upper tier ammo, I've managed to land anywhere from 5-10 hits and never get the kill.

I'm starting to get really demoralized and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want to have fun and PvP but after losing so many gunfights after dumping so many rounds into people with no kills, its starting to get to me. I watch other people play and they make it look so easy and can down most players quickly.

Should I be aiming for the legs instead? Does 5.45 ammo and AKs just suck in general? Is the only way to properly compete is to wear level 5 and 6 armor (which is insanely expensive)?

Edited by GymTime

smellyPVT

i can honestly relate to almost everything you say man. Been playing for years. Idk. Ive just chalked it up, at this point, to im just not a good player. I still do ok every wipe with passive/sneaky play style. AI is no problem. I understand the game as well. It is what it is, I guess

LenzOA

the game is about knowledge. you can be good at other fps games but will have a hard time here. on the other hand a person who is bad at computergames but has 1000 hours in this game can defeat a 5 man team of pro gamers who are new to the game.

it took me 20 raids to finally extract from a map. gear means not much if you dont know where people can spawn, where people will go... you just need to keep playing and improve. best is to team up with someone.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, smellyPVT said:

i can honestly relate to almost everything you say man. Been playing for years. Idk. Ive just chalked it up, at this point, to im just not a good player. I still do ok every wipe with passive/sneaky play style. AI is no problem. I understand the game as well. It is what it is, I guess

Good to hear someone else has the same problem and its not just me 😆

Yeah, I don't know what it is. Maybe we just naturally are not good and will never be good at PvP in this game.

15 minutes ago, LenzOA said:

the game is about knowledge. you can be good at other fps games but will have a hard time here. on the other hand a person who is bad at computergames but has 1000 hours in this game can defeat a 5 man team of pro gamers who are new to the game.

it took me 20 raids to finally extract from a map. gear means not much if you dont know where people can spawn, where people will go... you just need to keep playing and improve. best is to team up with someone.

I don't know what knowledge I'm missing. I've read through dozens of guides, watched hundreds of hours of other people playing, have 200 hours in-game, read through the Wiki, ammo charts, etc.

I have no issues extracting if I avoid other players, I know where people spawn.

My issue is not knowing how to survive, or extract. My issue is winning gunfights. Like I said, I can position myself and get the drop and first shots off on someone, but can never get the kill. By that time, when I'm unloading into them, they know where I'm at and as soon as they fire back they kill me easily.

Because of this, I avoid other players altogether and spend most of the raid just hiding, then extracting in the final minutes. I have a 42% survival rate with 100 raids because of this, but I'm getting tired of just having to sneak around trying to be undetected all the time. I watch people on Twitch or YouTube play and they can just run around out in the open, kill other players, go to hot zones and get the good loot, etc.

Basically I just want to be able to shoot other players and kill them without always dying when I try to do it.

I know Tarkov is not like other shooters, but it advertised itself as a "realistic hardcore shooter" which attracted me to the game. I do very well in milsim and more realistic shooters, playing with a careful/tactical style. In Tarkov, I get the first shots off in most of my engagements, but I can't score the kill. 

Edited by GymTime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LenzOA
1 minute ago, GymTime said:

My issue is just winning gunfights. Like I said, I can position myself and get the drop and first shots off on someone, but can never get the kill. By that time, when I'm unloading into them, they know where I'm at and as soon as they fire back they kill me easily.

most of the people at this stage use lvl 3-5 armor. so you want to have ammunition that can penetrate it fairly easy, fires from a weapon that has not much recoil, is full auto and doesnt cost much. if you choose only 1or 2 options you will go down in price or you will be less effective.

you can choose a hunter that costs 35k and 3x 10 round mags that cost 15k each, but you will have a lot of recoil, only 10 rounds per mag and no full auto. but you can shoot a good round that does a lot of damage with high penetration if you pick m62/61.

you can pick a modded m4 with m855a1 amo, you have a full auto weapon, good recoil, good damage, good penetration, full auto but a rather high price.

picking weapons like mosin, shotguns, smgs, pistols... will give you BIG problems in fights if you are new to the game.

this said, i think your main problem is the lack of experience in tarkov, when you only have 4 pmc kills in total. you have an advantage if you spot your enemy first and start shooting first from a good position and them out of position. running around like a streamer who has 3000 hours into the game, a very high skill set, a perfect hardware, perfect sounds .... and expecting the same results might be a problem for people with less experience.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LenzOA said:

most of the people at this stage use lvl 3-5 armor. so you want to have ammunition that can penetrate it fairly easy, fires from a weapon that has not much recoil, is full auto and doesnt cost much. if you choose only 1or 2 options you will go down in price or you will be less effective.

you can choose a hunter that costs 35k and 3x 10 round mags that cost 15k each, but you will have a lot of recoil, only 10 rounds per mag and no full auto. but you can shoot a good round that does a lot of damage with high penetration if you pick m62/61.

you can pick a modded m4 with m855a1 amo, you have a full auto weapon, good recoil, good damage, good penetration, full auto but a rather high price.

picking weapons like mosin, shotguns, smgs, pistols... will give you BIG problems in fights if you are new to the game.

this said, i think your main problem is the lack of experience in tarkov, when you only have 4 pmc kills in total. you have an advantage if you spot your enemy first and start shooting first from a good position and them out of position. running around like a streamer who has 3000 hours into the game, a very high skill set, a perfect hardware, perfect sounds .... and expecting the same results might be a problem for people with less experience.

I've been mostly using AK's with BS 5.45 ammo. I notice the recoil is high on full auto which might be hindering me. Maybe I'll try using 5.56 with ARs. I built a few nice expensive HK 416's and have mags full of M995 but have been scared to use them considering my constant losses. Was hoping to try and get my confidence up by scoring some skills with cheaper guns like AKs.

I heard something about sub guns like MP5 using RIP ammo and aiming for the legs kills pretty fast. Does that still work?

Edited by GymTime

LenzOA

I've been mostly using AK's with BS 5.45 ammo.

with that gun and amo you should not have problems winning fights.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, LenzOA said:

with that gun and amo you should not have problems winning fights.

Not sure what the issue is then. I thought when I'd upgrade to using BS ammo that I wouldn't have the issue of players acting like bullet sponges to me, but as mentioned even after landing up to a dozen hits in several cases, I can't score a kill.

Maybe something is off with my hardware or something and causing a slight desync, I have no idea.

Edited by GymTime

BrettB

Do you panic when you see a player? I mean do you take a shot instead of thinking about it tactically? 

LenzOA

do you have a video from some of your gunfights?

GymTime
Just now, BrettB said:

Do you panic when you see a player? I mean do you take a shot instead of thinking about it tactically? 

I used to, but as I got more comfortable with the feel of the game I don't anymore. But at this point I'd say perhaps its more lack of confidence than panic. Whenever I start shooting at someone, in my mind its, "yep, he's not dead yet, now he's going to kill me" and then I die.

I don't always engage every player I see. Meaning I don't just randomly take a shot as soon as I see someone. I try to wait until I have an advantage where they can't see me and then take the shot. But there's been times where I've ran head on into another player and we both started shooting.

Redangelguts
57 minutes ago, GymTime said:

Should I be aiming for the legs instead? Does 5.45 ammo and AKs just suck in general? Is the only way to properly compete is to wear level 5 and 6 armor (which is insanely expensive)?

if you hit level ten after the recent patch to fix igolnik doing near double damage, bullet damage went down considerably, which would add to frustration.

I've personally not liked BS at all since it never seems to fragment for me... at all... if it does, the chance is way lower and it never does quite enough to one hit thorax when it does in all 100+ scav kill thorax test shots on factory ive done, meaning price for performance makes igolnik much more viable in my testing

either that or go down to BT as a budget option, but ONLY down to BT, (unless you want to hunt heads on woods with PP rounds or something)

5.45 is quite bad right now as another user posted, although you really shouldn't need full on 995 to do the job, budget HK416/M4 with 856A1 is good. literally base model hk416 and m4 with a sight on it is a great option for 856A1 with smart bursting or single firing from a distance

i made a post on how underpowered some rounds are with current fragmentation model, 5.45 is hit especially hard with the lower 650 RPM (except igolnik since it has only 2% fragmentation chance to begin with, meaning less wasted stats) here:

Tarkov has a horrible issue with arm damage as well, arms absorb bullets without letting them pass through... like... at all. Meaning you're probably spreading damage to armor-left arm-right arm-thorax-and probably even stomach

Generally I don't spray even if someone is right next to me, I do bursts between arms onto thorax and let it climb to head a little bit if anything; not exactly perfectly realistic but not terrible

• Like 3

RainmakerM4

How is your game running on your machine? Do you feel any input lagg? How many frames are you getting?

GymTime
4 minutes ago, Redangelguts said:

if you hit level ten after the recent patch to fix igolnik doing near double damage, bullet damage went down considerably, which would add to frustration.

I've personally not liked BS at all since it never seems to fragment for me... at all... if it does, the chance is way lower and it never does quite enough to one hit thorax when it does in all 100+ scav kill thorax test shots on factory ive done, meaning price for performance makes igolnik much more viable in my testing

either that or go down to BT as a budget option, but ONLY down to BT, (unless you want to hunt heads on woods with PP rounds or something)

5.45 is quite bad right now as another user posted, although you really shouldn't need full on 995 to do the job, budget HK416/M4 with 856A1 is good. literally base model hk416 and m4 with a sight on it is a great option for 856A1 with smart bursting or single firing from a distance

i made a post on how underpowered some rounds are with current fragmentation model, 5.45 is hit especially hard with the lower 650 RPM (except igolnik since it has only 2% fragmentation chance to begin with, meaning less wasted stats) here:

Tarkov has a horrible issue with arm damage as well, arms absorb bullets without letting them pass through... like... at all. Meaning you're probably spreading damage to armor-left arm-right arm-thorax-and probably even stomach

Generally I don't spray even if someone is right next to me, I do bursts between arms onto thorax and let it climb to head a little bit if anything; not exactly perfectly realistic but not terrible

Interesting, thanks so much for the information, that's really helpful. In that case, I'm going to try using some other guns/ammo types such as 556. I have a few million roubles stashed so far and I've played a few offline raids using the HK to get used to it. Haven't tried it at all in online raids because my losses using 5.45 has created a bit of gear fear for me as far as using even more expensive stuff.

Also I'll try aiming between the arms using bursts at the Thorax and let it ride up to the head, that seems like a good idea.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RainmakerM4 said:

How is your game running on your machine? Do you feel any input lagg? How many frames are you getting?

No input lag that I notice. I'm using a service called "Shadow" to stream the game right now because my GPU sucks and I don't have the money to buy a nice one. I don't know if this is causing an issue, but as far as latency/input lag it doesn't feel like there's any issues. I've used it for other online games including DayZ, Hell Let Loose, Deadside and others and haven't had issues performance-wise or gameplay wise.

I've checked my FPS in console and I'm getting around 55-60 steady FPS.

Edited by GymTime

RainmakerM4

No input lag that I notice. I'm using a service called "Shadow" to stream the game right now because my GPU sucks and I don't have the money to buy a nice one. I don't know if this is causing an issue, but as far as latency/input lag it doesn't feel like there's any issues. I've used it for other online games including DayZ, Hell Let Loose, Deadside and others and haven't had issues performance-wise or gameplay wise.

I've checked my FPS in console and I'm getting around 55-60 steady FPS.

There we go, we might be onto a thing here. Maybe you can't be competitive when streaming the game. EFT is highly competitive game where every fraction of a second counts and if your machine is not delivering you might have a hard time.

GymTime
21 minutes ago, LenzOA said:

do you have a video from some of your gunfights?

I haven't recorded anything, but there were times I wish I had considering the number of hits scored and wondering "how did I not kill this guy"

Having a video to look back on would be a good idea. I'll probably set up recording to see if I can capture anything.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RainmakerM4 said:

There we go, we might be onto a thing here. Maybe you can't be competitive when streaming the game. EFT is highly competitive game where every fraction of a second counts and if your machine is not delivering you might have a hard time.

I often wondered that lately. I am close to the datacenter and am currently getting 20 latency. Not sure if that's bad?

I've looked it up and it says it shouldn't cause any issues, but who knows. Here's a video of someone else playing and killing other PMCs using it:

Edited by GymTime

RainmakerM4
2 minutes ago, GymTime said:

I often wondered that lately. I am close to the datacenter and am currently getting 20 latency. Not sure if that's bad?

I trully believe streaming is suitable for single player games. Me personally I would not stream a competitive game like EFT. And if you are asking spec. for that latency, yes I believe thats a large part why its screwing you up like that. 

If your gpu is biggest issue don't worry about it. I am running the game on gtx 970 with no issues. I would recommend getting a second hand one, even a 1070.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RainmakerM4 said:

I trully believe streaming is suitable for single player games. Me personally I would not stream a competitive game like EFT. And if you are asking spec. for that latency, yes I believe thats a large part why its screwing you up like that. 

If your gpu is biggest issue don't worry about it. I am running the game on gtx 970 with no issues. I would recommend getting a second hand one, even a 1070.

There's zero perceptible lag for me compared to direct gaming. But maybe even if its 0.00001 seconds and unnoticable, I could see how that could cause an issue.

I'm hoping to buy a decent GPU but money is tight for me right now, especially after moving out of state.

My PC is very high-end otherwise when I built it a year ago. I'll check out the GTX 970 or 1070.

What graphics settings are you able to run on the 970?

Edited by GymTime

RainmakerM4

Medium to high. I got 100 raids done with 85% survival rate. About 70 pmcs killed. I don't have much time to play as I had previous patch.

Last wipe i ended it with same SR and 3 dogtags cases full not sure how many slots does a dogtag case got. I believe i had about 500 raids done?

My machine is

I7 3820

16 gb ddr3 1600mhz

Asus gtx 970.

• Like 1

GymTime
6 minutes ago, RainmakerM4 said:

Medium to high. I got 100 raids done with 85% survival rate. About 70 pmcs killed. I don't have much time to play as I had previous patch.

Last wipe i ended it with same SR and 3 dogtags cases full not sure how many slots does a dogtag case got. I believe i had about 500 raids done?

My machine is

I7 3820

16 gb ddr3 1600mhz

Asus gtx 970.

Nice! It looks like I can pick one up for around $200, if so that's not bad. I'm going to try that.

behi09ma
52 minutes ago, GymTime said:

Interesting, thanks so much for the information, that's really helpful. In that case, I'm going to try using some other guns/ammo types such as 556. I have a few million roubles stashed so far and I've played a few offline raids using the HK to get used to it. Haven't tried it at all in online raids because my losses using 5.45 has created a bit of gear fear for me as far as using even more expensive stuff.

Also I'll try aiming between the arms using bursts at the Thorax and let it ride up to the head, that seems like a good idea.

just wanted to point out that the arms do not absorb all the bullets, most of them goes through it but there is an angle that can absorb bullets. Klean, LVnmark and Willerz tested that on stream and you can see on twitch clips.

now back to your problem. last wipe was my first experience in tarkov and i had exactly your problem. i was going crazy, why i can't kill a single player. my positioning sucked, i was making stupid moves, but i couldn't realize back then. now thinking about it, shows me i had some problems. the feeling that if he fireback i will die was a big issue.

i'm not saying i'm a pro player now, but atleast i can kick someone's ass before dying :D 

with all that being said, get rid of that mentality, there are too many new players that suck, so work on your confidence. use the gun on singleshot in outdoor areas, cause you will miss lots of your shots if you can't control your gun.( yeah i think you are hitting your shots like this---> one thorax, 3 legs, 2 arms due to recoil on your gun and wondering why you couldn't kill him with 6 hits). and as i said before if your bullet pass the arm and hit thorax, one bullet will count 2 hits on body but the dmg will reduce on thorax. and important fact, lead your shots when enemy have some distance. maybe use tracer rounds so you can see exactly where your shots land.

so go singlefire and try to hit the head. but indoors situations are kinda crazy, auto recommended with pointfire in most situations. in close combats you try to hit wherever you can but again if you go for head, you will down your enemy so easily.

i hope this helps 

SCvTyson
1 hour ago, GymTime said:

Not sure what the issue is then. I thought when I'd upgrade to using BS ammo that I wouldn't have the issue of players acting like bullet sponges to me, but as mentioned even after landing up to a dozen hits in several cases, I can't score a kill.

Maybe something is off with my hardware or something and causing a slight desync, I have no idea.

I srsly wouldnt be overthinking this. Its lags. Game is broken, laggy, hits not registering etc. Dont worry I'm sure ur not a bad player. Ever played any other shooters? Have u always landed as a last/worst player in your team? I doubt it. And yea.."tarkov is not like any other game", "tarkov is all about tactic" etc..sure..it is. But when it comes to 1v1 its usually just like any other shooter games, whos spots who first and who pulls the trigger first and at what body parts. There isnt more to that. Tarkov is very cool but broken game.

GymTime
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, behi09ma said:

just wanted to point out that the arms do not absorb all the bullets, most of them goes through it but there is an angle that can absorb bullets. Klean, LVnmark and Willerz tested that on stream and you can see on twitch clips.

now back to your problem. last wipe was my first experience in tarkov and i had exactly your problem. i was going crazy, why i can't kill a single player. my positioning sucked, i was making stupid moves, but i couldn't realize back then. now thinking about it, shows me i had some problems. the feeling that if he fireback i will die was a big issue.

i'm not saying i'm a pro player now, but atleast i can kick someone's ass before dying :D 

with all that being said, get rid of that mentality, there are too many new players that suck, so work on your confidence. use the gun on singleshot in outdoor areas, cause you will miss lots of your shots if you can't control your gun.( yeah i think you are hitting your shots like this---> one thorax, 3 legs, 2 arms due to recoil on your gun and wondering why you couldn't kill him with 6 hits). and as i said before if your bullet pass the arm and hit thorax, one bullet will count 2 hits on body but the dmg will reduce on thorax. and important fact, lead your shots when enemy have some distance. maybe use tracer rounds so you can see exactly where your shots land.

so go singlefire and try to hit the head. but indoors situations are kinda crazy, auto recommended with pointfire in most situations. in close combats you try to hit wherever you can but again if you go for head, you will down your enemy so easily.

i hope this helps 

Haha very nice. I don't expect to be a pro or anything, hell, if I ran into a 2-man and could kill one of them and still got killed by the last guy I'd be happy. I just want a damn kill. Even one kill would get my confidence up as its been around 20 something raids since that happened.

I've been starting to practice point shooting offline lately. Seems like a huge advantage speedwise over ADSing.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, SCvTyson said:

I srsly wouldnt be overthinking this. Its lags. Game is broken, laggy, hits not registering etc. Dont worry I'm sure ur not a bad player. Ever played any other shooters? Have u always landed as a last/worst player in your team? I doubt it. And yea.."tarkov is not like any other game", "tarkov is all about tactic" etc..sure..it is. But when it comes to 1v1 its usually just like any other shooter games, whos spots who first and who pulls the trigger first and at what body parts. There isnt more to that. Tarkov is very cool but broken game.

True, but even so it seems most other people don't have an issue. Even bad players are getting more kills than me. I do good in other shooters and really good at milsim or more realistic shooters with lower TTK. I'm not as good at FPS games that require tons of shots and dodging around to kill someone (twitchy, bullet sponge FPS). Tarkov seems more like the latter, at least so far in my experience when it comes to PvP, so that probably doesn't help.

Edited by GymTime