Skillster

Gun Sounds In Game

Skillster

I searched this and didn't see it posted before so i will post it here. 

In game when a gun is fired you can tell the exact type of gun being fired by the type of sound it makes. They are all very distinct in their sounds. However, IRL when it comes to gun sounds, unless you are very close to the gun firing, you cant tell much distinction from which type of gun is firing besides how loud it is. Is this intentional or is this something that might be fixed in the upcoming work being done on sound?

This isn't a rant or anything i'm honestly just curious as a gun owner myself.

Thormato

You can easily hear the difference between different calibiers and iam pretty sure you cant hear the difference between AK-74 and AK-74N ingame

tobiassolem
10 minutes ago, Skillster said:

In game when a gun is fired you can tell the exact type of gun being fired by the type of sound it makes. They are all very distinct in their sounds. However, IRL when it comes to gun sounds, unless you are very close to the gun firing, you cant tell much distinction from which type of gun is firing besides how loud it is. Is this intentional or is this something that might be fixed in the upcoming work being done on sound?

This is an odd argument. The sound of guns in real life are quite distinguishable. I can tell when I hear an M4, or an AKM, or a swedish AK4 or AK5. All the sounds are distinguishable. And well... all recorded audio are done from the guns real life versions - so again, you're off mark with this one.

Saws_n_Sins

I've been shooting guns for about 2 decades, you can tell the difference between guns in real life when they're fired.

If they want to make gun sounds more realistic in game though, any PMC or scav not wearing any ear protection (especially indoors) and shoot a decently powered gun shouldn't hear anything except loud ringing with everything else muffled for the rest of the raid.

• Upvote 1

Skillster

Hmm. I might be wrong honestly. I'll admit that. Most guns i have heard at distance have been a mix of hunting rifles ranging from 243. to  7mm. Most of my experience with ak's and ar's are cloes range hearing mostly. I do still wonder if they will edit the gun sounds whenever they add reverb in. It seems like ATM the reverb is built into the gun sounds instead of actually bouncing off things.

Guess we will find out when they add that module in the future.

ACuddlyBadger

Even something as simple as mounting a muzzle brake will drastically alter the sound profile and direction of your gun. It will be quieter downrange, but unbearably loud to those on your flanks. Things like the gas system, barrel length, and bolt carrier all contribute to the sound of a gun.

chrisragnar
13 hours ago, Skillster said:

Whatever is true for reality, it makes sens from a gameplay perspective that you can tell what gun is being fired so you know if you should be running away or towards.. I can't think of a reason guns need to sound similar to eachother in game when they already have put in the work to make them distinguishable.

chrisragnar
12 hours ago, Saws_n_Sins said:

I've been shooting guns for about 2 decades, you can tell the difference between guns in real life when they're fired.

If they want to make gun sounds more realistic in game though, any PMC or scav not wearing any ear protection (especially indoors) and shoot a decently powered gun shouldn't hear anything except loud ringing with everything else muffled for the rest of the raid.

This is how they balanced rapid firing in hunt showdown. Players would go deaf after firing many shots in succession. Thus making it harder to locate their target thru sound cues.