convexity100

Game is suddenly unplayable - any tips?

convexity100

Hi,

I have run Tarkov without mostly without issue for about a month (since buying it), but in the past week or so, the game has become so laggy as to be completely unplayable. 

Computer: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 Core i5-9300H 8GB 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD GeForce GTX 1650 4GB

I believe it is a hardware issue (not internet connectivity b/c I have a strong connection, and it seems to lag up my entire computer which seems more consistent with a GPU issue). But I’m perplexed as to why a hardware issue would suddenly arise after working fine. Perhaps this was caused by some update to the game?

My computer stats are listed above; I believe they’re above the minimum. Graphics are turned all the way down (though they didn’t need to be all-the-way down when the game was running fine, earlier this month). 

Some other things I have tried: 

• Checked that drivers and windows are up to date. 
  • Running with and without Windows Defender Firewall 
  • Running in “offline” mode to test if it’s an internet issue (it’s equally bad in offline mode)
  • Turning on and off that "auto-ram" feature (forget the exact name) in settings; doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • Also worth noting - I'm located in the UK, so not sure if that's causing any issues. Have played around with using the "auto select" for servers, or manually selecting the best one. Neither seems to help (again, it seems like a hardware issue). 

Any advice would be much appreciated - very frustrating to pay for the game and have it suddenly stop running, especially with my stats above the minimum.

andrewmatveyuk1
Posted (edited)

Same. For me and my friends, and for everyone. Thats not yours hardware fault, so we can just waiting for BSG to do smth. Try to put your swap file on your disk at 20000, thats what moderators on discord says

Edited by andrewmatveyuk1

tobiassolem

8GB of RAM in total will not suffice for most maps in Escape From Tarkov.

Why it worked in the past, is probably because there was less data, now the maps are bigger and ... well, thus need more storage space in the memory.

convexity100
On 7/13/2020 at 9:02 AM, tobiassolem said:

Why it worked in the past, is probably because there was less data, now the maps are bigger and ... well, thus need more storage space in the memory.

If this is true, it's very frustrating that they advertise 8 GB as the minimum requirements and thus I've wasted $45.

PS I turned off binaural audio and that made a noticeable improvement, but it's still unplayable, so any tips are welcome. Thank you.

Magnoguido

I have EFT commiting 11Gb of RAM on character screens and when loading into maps, it pings out wanting more than 16Gb.

Zeroa
5 hours ago, convexity100 said:

If this is true, it's very frustrating that they advertise 8 GB as the minimum requirements and thus I've wasted $45.

PS I turned off binaural audio and that made a noticeable improvement, but it's still unplayable, so any tips are welcome. Thank you.

Yeah a couple of the guys we play with that run 8 GB have issues too.  They cannot run Reserve at all, and they get the best performance by exiting and re-entering the game client between every raid. As well as setting up a lot of the other optimization it sounds like you know. 

Caster89Actual
On 7/13/2020 at 12:36 AM, convexity100 said:

Hi,

I have run Tarkov without mostly without issue for about a month (since buying it), but in the past week or so, the game has become so laggy as to be completely unplayable. 

Computer: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 Core i5-9300H 8GB 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD GeForce GTX 1650 4GB

I believe it is a hardware issue (not internet connectivity b/c I have a strong connection, and it seems to lag up my entire computer which seems more consistent with a GPU issue). But I’m perplexed as to why a hardware issue would suddenly arise after working fine. Perhaps this was caused by some update to the game?

My computer stats are listed above; I believe they’re above the minimum. Graphics are turned all the way down (though they didn’t need to be all-the-way down when the game was running fine, earlier this month). 

Some other things I have tried: 

• Checked that drivers and windows are up to date. 
  • Running with and without Windows Defender Firewall 
  • Running in “offline” mode to test if it’s an internet issue (it’s equally bad in offline mode)
  • Turning on and off that "auto-ram" feature (forget the exact name) in settings; doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • Also worth noting - I'm located in the UK, so not sure if that's causing any issues. Have played around with using the "auto select" for servers, or manually selecting the best one. Neither seems to help (again, it seems like a hardware issue). 

Any advice would be much appreciated - very frustrating to pay for the game and have it suddenly stop running, especially with my stats above the minimum.

I’m running 32 gigs of ram and I still get stutter/gamer still runs like general crap.

trust me more ram won’t hurt but it won’t 100% fix the issue.

Also here follow some of these steps to help optimize your pc to run tarkov

Beginner314
Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2020 at 10:02 AM, tobiassolem said:

Makes absolutely no sense: only one map (the map you are loading when starting a raid) is loaded into memory.

He said that the game was running fine earlier this month. Within this month no Map got suddenly much bigger.

But I agree, 8 GB is on the side of the lower limit...

But within this time frame there were a few 'technical updates' and suddenly people start complaining again because of performance. Coincidence?

Edited by Beginner314

tobiassolem

8GB has always been on the very small end, the OS alone uses between 1.5-3GB of memory, add on top of that other installed software such as anti-virus, e-mail, browsers, etc. - what's left for the game is too little, which means now it will switch to using hard disk space to store temporary data.

People with 8GB have been complaining about performance issues for much longer, this is not a new thing.

BrettB

Maybe, but maybe not. Go to Docs, EFT and there will be a local.ini file. Open him with notepad and change the refreshrate to 60. If its on 30, it may lock your screen to 30hz, especially if you have 2 monitors.