ACuddlyBadger

Comtacs desperately need a nerf

ACuddlyBadger

They ruin gameplay balance with how they currently work. There is zero reason not to use them, and the reason to use them isn't damping loud noises as it should be. I still have to turn my game volume down when there is a gunfight because Sordins do nothing to work as hearing protection. The game would play better without them as they currently are. They shouldn't be hearing aids specifically designed for picking up footsteps and player noises. It becomes impossible to have good clean communications in a group while sprinting because of how awfully loud the comtacs make footsteps. They also make sneaky playstyles completely pointless unless you linger around at sniping distance. With comtacs many times I can hear people picking up items or looting on the third floor of white knight when I'm on the first floor, this is totally broken. Its not even feasible to slow walk because it will take you many seconds to reach an enemy after you've been heard, you are just giving a third party a very easy headshot, or a massive peeker's advantage to whom you are pushing.

I suggest loud noises gradually deafen your PMC in a raid by reducing your ability to hear along with an encroaching ear ringing sound. If your PMC is in relative silence, this ringing will go away but return with a vengeance when you are exposed to loud noises again. Using deafening helmets or earplugs would be desireable. Comtacs benefit would be damping loud noises while still allowing your PMC to hear with a slight volume reduction and less directional fidelity. This would keep them realistic, give damping helmets more desireability, and also open up more playstyles. Maybe they could have a squad voip feature where the comtacs can specifically equalize your mates volumes along with giving their voices priority when there are noises.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TUALMASOK

I can't stand the bloody things, it's like being punched in the head as you walk around. They are mostly useless anyway - have problems hearing? Just turn the volume up.

• Sad 3

Zyfer
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TUALMASOK said:

They are mostly useless anyway - Just turn the volume up.

🤣😂🤣😂

Edited by Zyfer

KiloNein

WTF do you think they do in real life? 🙄

All the "They need to change this because its too OP" posts are people butthurt that something puts them at a disadvantage.

• Like 1

oldschool15

Ive never used a set electronic hearing protection so I dont know how realistic they are, I will agree they are pretty op

Na0cho

They dampen sounds over a certain decibel level.  So you can hear your buddy while flying in a helicopter for example. 

at least that’s what my buddy told me and he uses them in the armed forces. 

so they seem pretty accurate. 

• Thanks 1

KiloNein

21 minutes ago, Na0cho said:

They dampen sounds over a certain decibel level.  So you can hear your buddy while flying in a helicopter for example. 

at least that’s what my buddy told me and he uses them in the armed forces. 

so they seem pretty accurate. 

Wrong.

I have a set literally right next to me - they amplify noise as well, and simple lower the volume of louder noises like gunshots.

Their purpose is to provide better hearing AND protect hearing.

• Like 1

chrisragnar
Posted (edited)

I'm pretty happy with them, I don't think they break gameplay.

They work more or less like the real once. I'd like an off switch tho, but that might be op sins the only reason not to wear them now is if it's raining or you plan on moving fast it's going to get noicy. On the other hand turning them off would just make it like regular ear protection or a full cover helmet, so many it would balance out.

I'd probably skip them on woods, but if I'm planning to be indoors or stationary alot I'd put them on. So I don't think they are an auto pick. If they were, just make them more expensive and rare instead of removing them. 

I'd like to see ringing ears if you fire your fun without any protection. In hunt showdown they balanced rapid shooting with hearing loss making a player who shoots fast more prone to ambush and flanks. This however would put early players at even more disadvantage sins they would be the only once without active headset. But it would be cool is just foam earplugs was the norm and active headset was delux.

Edited by chrisragnar
  • Like 1

tobiassolem
6 hours ago, KiloNein said:

All the "They need to change this because its too OP" posts are people butthurt that something puts them at a disadvantage.

Here is the conundrum:

1. BSG listens to the community, certain people in the community that dislikes the wishes react in a bad way and think BSG should stick to their vision instead.

2. BSG sticks to their vision, certain people in the community that dislikes the BSG vision react in a bad way and that they should listen to the community instead.

3. BSG pays attention to a small group of long term players who have helped the game to popularity, everyone not of that group think they should either stick to their vision, or to the community, or a mix between those. Whatever BSG does, do not listen to the small group of long term players!

Example:

Community has an outcry about the Mosin being too OP. BSG nerfs the mosin. Coincidentally a popular streamer agrees with the community agrees with the need for a mosin nerf. The pendulum swings, now BSG are "catering to streamers" in an outcry that the Mosin did not need a nerf.

Same goes for comtacs or thermals, etc. - the debate goes on and on.

• Like 2

oldschool15
10 hours ago, KiloNein said:

I dont think they need to change it because they are OP, personally wish the game would be as realistic as possible. I use sordins in every raid, and feel naked without them. 

Frankly I think it puts me at a huge advantage over someone not using them, which is why ill scrap together every penny I have to buy a set

• Like 1

oldschool15

I also feel variable zoom optics are OP. Does that mean they should nerf the HAMER?

Cloak
Posted (edited)

I think with the implantation of steams audio comtacs need to be re-looked at. They still do their job as to damping and amplifying noises. Such as environment, gunshots, explosions. But the distance of volume is....unrealistic? I couldn't say for sure I don't own any nor have I ever tried some.

As for them being too loud with partners around. I'd say that's the consequences of using them?

If you haven't notice there are advantages and disadvantages too all equipment. Such as Thermal scopes, body armors, larger weapon mags, etc. Escape from tarkov is warzone meaning people will use anything to their advantage to survive. What you call OP is somebody just taking the advantage. To counter this you just gotta know the pros and the cons.

I can't advise you on what you should do for I don't play with anyone. Maybe somebody in a team can suggest something?

Edited by Cloak

GymTime
22 hours ago, oldschool15 said:

Ive never used a set electronic hearing protection so I dont know how realistic they are, I will agree they are pretty op

They are somewhat realistic in ambient noises are louder (such as talking, etc) and gun shots are muffled. But the foot steps are ridiculously loud. You won't hear yourself stomping around like an elephant from simply walking in real life.

Tekniq_1
Am 15.7.2020 um 08:44 schrieb tobiassolem:

Here is the conundrum:

1. BSG listens to the community, certain people in the community that dislikes the wishes react in a bad way and think BSG should stick to their vision instead.

2. BSG sticks to their vision, certain people in the community that dislikes the BSG vision react in a bad way and that they should listen to the community instead.

3. BSG pays attention to a small group of long term players who have helped the game to popularity, everyone not of that group think they should either stick to their vision, or to the community, or a mix between those. Whatever BSG does, do not listen to the small group of long term players!

Example:

Community has an outcry about the Mosin being too OP. BSG nerfs the mosin. Coincidentally a popular streamer agrees with the community agrees with the need for a mosin nerf. The pendulum swings, now BSG are "catering to streamers" in an outcry that the Mosin did not need a nerf.

Same goes for comtacs or thermals, etc. - the debate goes on and on.

I think thinking of the community as 1 entity is the mistake Here.

The community doesnt exist. Its a ghost made of fear. 

In Politics we use a 1:1 Translation with voting. In order to break up that Black Box community you could use voting as a barometer. But in the End the game is no democracy, which is good. 

ACuddlyBadger

The guideline I would use for balancing them is 

1. What is their function in real life, do they fulfill that in game?    Currently, they do not. They are something I need to spend rubles on to compete strategically at closer ranges, they are a no brainer. If I am solo I NEED to run comtacs more than armor and a helmet, because they work without requiring you to get shot and they allow you to not get shot at to begin with.
  2. Are they immersive?    No they are not. My own footsteps become louder than gunshots. I have to turn down my volume when Killa gets a squad wipe because the headset just does not work. If I need to constantly adjust my game volume, the game loses immersion. Also, loud noises in game do not have any negative affect outside of having an unpleasant volume, they do not deafen your PMC nor do they impair your PMC's hearing fidelity. Hearing damage should be a thing through auditory filters in game that requires hearing protection in the form of ear covering helmets, comtacs, earplugs, and suppressors. 
  3.  Does their implementation conceptually match reality, and is their implementation healthful to gameplay styles and game immersion?    No, they fail at damping loud noises and facilitating clean voice comms entirely. They also completely stop players from being able to move quickly without detection. There is a horribly skewed balance that pushed sneaky players like I off a meta cliff. 

Since of course this is my perspective, I will add that my perspective is I want BSG's vision of hardcore realism micromanaged to also benefit gameplay and immersion. I want immersion that can keep me in game all day without me losing attention, alt tabbing around and futzing about with my volume levels throughout the raid. I also don't want the game at any point to be wall punching frustration born out of futility due to having an uncompromising chase for realism. 

• Upvote 1

Pand1

This might not be a problem with the headsets but rather the sound design itself. Things like walking, aiming your gun and various other actions make way too much noise. These noises get picked up by the headsets making sound whoring easy and basically mandatory.

An obvious solution is to remove and / or to lower some sounds characters make.

• Upvote 1

AdhesiveTeflon

They work as intended in the game.  Albeit the game increases the sound way to much but it would be nice to have real sounds in the game and not hearing somebody walk two floors above you.

ACuddlyBadger
12 minutes ago, Pand1 said:

This might not be a problem with the headsets but rather the sound design itself. Things like walking, aiming your gun and various other actions make way too much noise. These noises get picked up by the headsets making sound whoring easy and basically mandatory.

An obvious solution is to remove and / or to lower some sounds characters make.

I agree with you that aiming guns and such are way too loud. In fact the ADS sound often forces players to full auto point fire because taking a single well aimed shot is impossible without being heard before you've even aimed. I can hear my buddy aiming his gun when I'm 30m away while wearing comtacs, ads  and gun rattle volume is absolutely stupid. 

Where headsets are unarguably broken is how they don't suppress loud noises like thunderstorms or sprinting footsteps from your squad. I know I cannot play this game comfortably in a thunderstorm unless I'm wearing a Kolpak.  I have to constantly adjust my headset volume because the dynamic audio range is far too wide while wearing expensive active hearing protection. This cannot be argued.

Pricey_234
On 7/15/2020 at 5:07 AM, KiloNein said:

Wrong.

I have a set literally right next to me - they amplify noise as well, and simple lower the volume of louder noises like gunshots.

Their purpose is to provide better hearing AND protect hearing.

i have a set aswell....totally agree with you. 

short_FUZE

Comtacs are fine as they are.

Honestly, do some research on the subject before coming here to whinge. 

RedFuryFIVE6

making the ears ring after a gunfight would be a pretty cool realistic addition. Even with the amplifying/dampening headsets, I'd imagine shooting any gun would make your ears ring even if its a little. There is no way anyone can spray a loud gun in one direction and then hear someone running up on them in another. just my opinion. Other than that I know the headsets have different functions. I'm pretty sure Razors have the most distanced hearing, I use them over anything, it's pretty easy to pinpoint enemy locations.

davidj123456

Because walking around with a full set of gear should be silent...

S5_Mr_Wiggle
13 minutes ago, davidj123456 said:

Because walking around with a full set of gear should be silent...

you can be all depends on how soft your shoes, what you are stepping on, and how fast you step on things are along with how secure everything you are wearing is and if you are brushing against anything.

davidj123456
3 minutes ago, S5_Mr_Wiggle said:

you can be all depends on how soft your shoes, what you are stepping on, and how fast you step on things are along with how secure everything you are wearing is and if you are brushing against anything.

You still make noise dude

S5_Mr_Wiggle
6 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

You still make noise dude

not enough to be heard even if they are next to me.

tarkov is really really over the top with how loud little sounds are especially at a distance or from behind walls/ in buildings.