J.P

Melee Rework

J.P
Posted (edited)

I posted this in someone's previous post stated as Knife Tweaking but felt like I should make my own post as that subject was more centered around the damage of melee weapons, so I've decided to make a separate topic and re-post the key points here and I hope people have some interesting thoughts on it.

So anyway the premise of the rework is to have a struggle feature when in the middle of a knife attack which I will explain the mechanics of it below.

Let me start by saying that I know in the early trailers they did show a Melee Takedown from behind a player which was cool, so perhaps they are planning a Melee Rework in the future anyway.

SPRINT ATTACK: I feel for one, you need a sprinting Melee attack, when I've ran out of ammo and i'm down to F All, and my last chance is my Blade and I hear the person about to come up on me I want to be able to use my Agility to try and sprint at him unsuspectingly and try and get that last ditch effort kill.

CORE MECHANICS: When attacking from the front, the defender and attacker will get a prompt on the screen to spam your quick melee key, and then based on the persons Strength will determine how easy it would be for a player to fight back, and then perhaps Endurance can also take a part as some kind of stamina drain for how tired the player character would get during the struggle and as a way to make sure the struggle will end eventually and not drag on for too long considering how dangerous it will be locked in some kind of animation for a prolonged period of time.

ARMOUR ADDITION: On top of that then perhaps also have armour play a part depending on how heavy and tiring it is to wear which will effect the players ability in the struggle.

INDIRECT ANGLES OF ATTACK: Then from the side it would be a debuff on the defenders part, so he would have to spam harder but his characters strength skill may be able to aid him, this angle of attack can also benefit an attacker with low strength/endurance due to the debuff applied to the defenders side and then finally it would effectively be a stealth kill from the back.

OUTCOME: If the attacker wins, he'll get the stab, now if the defender wins he'll either push the blade away and/or punch/kick the player back, giving him a chance to raise his gun and fire, and have a cooldown on that attackers ability to re-engage the struggle so the Melee would default to the basic swing and chop actions.

There is obviously some tweaking to be had with this system and maybe even some additional options in the struggle for balance, but I feel like it could be interesting and would look and feel pretty dayum cool from both perspectives.

Curious to other players thoughts on this and the developers if they happen to stumble across this.

Edited by J.P
Subject Breakdown

BanditMaka

I don't see locking people into a struggle animation working in this game. What other multiplayer game has a Tomb Raider/The Long Dark, style struggle mechanic like that?

How often are you running out of ammo, what kind of chance should you have charging with a knife at a person with a gun?
I think we have bigger fish to fry, and reworks to push.

J.P
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BanditMaka said:

I don't see locking people into a struggle animation working in this game. What other multiplayer game has a Tomb Raider/The Long Dark, style struggle mechanic like that?

How often are you running out of ammo, what kind of chance should you have charging with a knife at a person with a gun?
I think we have bigger fish to fry, and reworks to push.

I don't run out of ammo very often, usually I pick up another weapon or something by the time that happens, just been the odd occasion where I really felt like a sprint attack would of been handy, or at least nice to use for some style points and satisfaction.

And only one I can think of is Battlefield really which has one similar, obviously not as intricate, just a quick counter option, but it exists.

In this game I feel a unique melee system would fit the game because of its overall structure in itself being quite unique.

I do however agree there is bigger fish to fry and such and certainly wouldn't expect a rework anytime soon.

Edited by J.P

BanditMaka
1 hour ago, J.P said:

And only one I can think of is Battlefield really which has one similar, obviously not as intricate, just a quick counter option, but it exists.

In this game I feel a unique melee system would fit the game because of its overall structure in itself being quite unique.

Nice I'll check it out for sure, see if it changes my opinion.
Definitely a lot more positive and welcome a suggestion than many.

• Thanks 1

SKRAAL

Perhaps add a mechanic to tackle or something like that, so you could run around a corner and push someones gun out of the way, then just stab them. Melee really needs more of a use.

J.P

Yeah that would be pretty cool as well, definitely needs some little niches to it yah know, and perhaps even being able to hit the gun with your melee weapon which would knock the gun down in the direction of the swing, that mechanic would then allow for you to use some split second decision making to perhaps pull off a life saving swing and then follow up.