Sign in to follow this  
Tekniq_1

How to battle hackers? A different viewing angle

Tekniq_1

First: English is Not my Main language and I am fighting my near empty phone during my Lunch break at work.  So bare with me please. 

I guess a lot has been said about that topic. Hackers are known since early early days. In my youth (1980s) we had hex Editors to Check save files or ram for  value changes in order to Set a fixed amount of Gold or health etc. In games. 

We had no Internet back then and we did IT Not to Harm anyone but as fun Thing and just for US enabling Story playthroughs. 

Since I grew older I became to deeply hate cheaters. Really I do. Because mainly they are ruining the game for others. I think there is no need for more explanation. A Set goal for any online game should be to have no cheaters. I think we can all agree on that base. Additionally I love that game feeling and dont want it changes in anyway. 

But what is a cheater and how can they be determined? 

In a simple way a cheater Alters the playing field in unexpected ways to his Benefit. Not confusing with someone with a 200hz gsync high End PC that also has a Benefit but is usually Not considered a cheater. 

I am no expert in anticheat Programs other than being a gamer myself and thinking out loud occassionally. 

But I came to a conclusion that I think could help professionals to think outside the Box. In another way I would like to get educated Input on my thoughts. 

Most anticheat measurements concentrate on the starting side of things. On the Part where someone changes game behaviour illegally by Altering the game states or  enabling different input methods using cheating software. Usually the PC is scanned for running cheating Software or plausibility checks are made etc. 

Checking for hackers and disabling them at that End is possible though Checking files and transfer calculations to a safe Environment (Server). Cheater sometimes use Software but only in rare Times and Not obvious. IT makes them hard to Spot. They might just use a headshot cheat 5% of the time or abuse wallhacks ever so slightly. 

Now imagine if we had a slider with which we could morph from 0 to 100% a Player from normal to cheater. 

That would render a 100% cheater ging from 100%  cheat abse that uses cheats less and less u til 0%  become just a pro gamer, gamer until newbie. 

So,  if a very Bad Player uses cheats 5% of the time, would we notice it or would we care? In principle yes, and I hope we get rid of cheating completely. But what if on the way to clean gameplay we had to step onto a middle ground by removing super cheater first and the sneaky ones second? 

• Upvote 1

Harvg123
3 minutes ago, Tekniq_1 said:

Most anticheat measurements concentrate on the starting side of things. On the Part where someone changes game behaviour illegally by Altering the game states or  enabling different input methods using cheating software. Usually the PC is scanned for running cheating Software or plausibility checks are made etc. 

Checking for hackers and disabling them at that End is possible though Checking files and transfer calculations to a safe Environment (Server). Cheater sometimes use Software but only in rare Times and Not obvious. IT makes them hard to Spot. They might just use a headshot cheat 5% of the time or abuse wallhacks ever so slightly. 

Now imagine if we had a slider with which we could morph from 0 to 100% a Player from normal to cheater. 

That would render a 100% cheater ging from 100%  cheat abse that uses cheats less and less u til 0%  become just a pro gamer, gamer until newbie. 

So,  if a very Bad Player uses cheats 5% of the time, would we notice it or would we care? In principle yes, and I hope we get rid of cheating completely. But what if on the way to clean gameplay we had to step onto a middle ground by removing super cheater first and the sneaky ones second? 

I found it a little bit hard to understand at the end there but youre basically saying some how check players exiting the raid to see if anything suspicious went down? 

Im pretty sure BSG are doing this OR have just started doing this, i remember seeing somewhere that they are now collecting ALL data possible for observations... I did also see that they are now not going to focus on stopping cheaters and that they are going to refocus their efforts into game development which i think makes sense in the long run but my god its going to be a poo storm short term...

AdhesiveTeflon

That takes precious server resources away from hosting.

Tekniq_1
Posted (edited)

Sorry for the hard to understand Text. 

The Main idea is:

Instead of only work on removing cheaters why Not take an intermediate step to separate cheaters from non cheaters first. 

I know cheaters are Bad for the economy, but the task to remove them 100% alltogether is so hard and Takes so much time that in the meantime why Not just separate them in raids and thus gameplay  from normal players first? 

And this can be done by the 'Player allocator' (for  the Lack of a better word) just  before the raid starts. 

I guess when a player starts the Server search He will be placed in a list with all the others. 

And then a process (I just call it 'Player allocator' ) wrapps 20 players or so together (maybe fitting variables like  ping, country etc.) and then binds Server Ressources and starts the raid.  And this process could try to put cheaters to cheaters, and normal players to normal players. For a separation only, Not banning or anything. Just separation! 

So normal players wouldnt suffer from active cheating (headshots etc.) but only passive effects like weird market prices.  Just as an intermediate step until all cheaters are finally removed. 

As long as the Player allocator only wraps suspected cheaters to other suspected cheaters a false positive isnt so Bad (a false positive banned cheaters results in a Player that is unhappy). Players wouldnt know or See with whom they are grouped together.

When the process is refined enough all cheaters would be placed in group with only cheaters and so cheaters would play against cheaters only and could be observed by invisible admins. This will also increases the need for sneaky cheaters to use cheats more often and more obvious. Which in turn makes IT easier to observe! 

While your normal player is protected in the meanwhile.

There is one big question that remains: how can a process determine if a Player is a cheater or Not.

Here we come to the Real Main point of my topic. Instead of only looking at running Software on the Client and typical aim-moving created by cheating Algorithms and strictly ban 100% safe cheaters, why Not refine the cheater group with time and repeated Session created by the 'player allocator' by several variables other than ping, country etc. 

And To answer this question I think cheating in the End serves only one Real purpose: increases the success rate of game determined success factors. 

Edited by Tekniq_1

Redangelguts
16 minutes ago, Tekniq_1 said:

Instead of only work on removing cheaters why Not take an intermediate step to separate cheaters from non cheaters first. 

I know cheaters are Bad for the economy, but the task to remove them 100% alltogether is so hard and Takes so much time that in the meantime why Not separate them from normal players first? 

And this can be done by the 'Player allocator' (for  the Lack of a better word) just  before the raid starts. 

I guess when a player starts the Server search He will be placed in a list with all the others. 

It sounds exactly like my priority queue system! Your point seems to have come across well enough my friendo!

Check it out!:

🙂

Tekniq_1
Posted (edited)

I have this idea since battlefield 3 and separating by k/d as a first try.  But I could never explain it to others because they bite when I Word it wrong. 

Nice thank you!! 

First time a dev going in such Detail. I love that game! 

Edited by Tekniq_1

Tekniq_1
Posted (edited)

Actually I dont See many cheaters. I would say around 1 cheater per week. 

1 cheater where I am 100% sure

And like 10-20 where i am  50/50..

Edited by Tekniq_1
  • Confused 1

shini_gurui
Posted (edited)

i met one of my first hackers this entire wipe today :D  was scaving in factory, fighting a kinda geared pmc and he allmost got me..  went down to the bunker to heal and stood completely still while listening for feet to figure out what to do next... out of nowhere some random scav player comes and 1 taps me in the face just as he rounds the corner from 1 of the tunnels (yes he was running liek a madman and easy to hear).  obvious is obvious tho.. ducking hilarious

Edited by shini_gurui

Looongcat

WTF is this long bs......

ferguswag

I read your post and appreciate your English, it is quite good. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are gravitating towards the idea of using artificial intelligence to detect cheaters. In essence, it is feasible that an AI could be "watching" a player during the course of the game. Over time their behavior, play style, skill level etc. could all be averaged and recorded. This much is quite easy, and I think that to some degree this is already being kept track of. Before radars were rendered obsolete through end-to-end encryption, this type of data was one of the only metrics by which radar users might be caught. But this is not comparable to the degree of detection a human would be able to produce when watching a cheater play. Most of the time it is apparent when a cursor snaps to an out of place location, or players stare through walls using ESP. In the future it might be possible to train an AI algorithm to specifically detect these types of human detectable cues of cheaters.

When you make your 0% to 100% slider comparison, I am understanding this as a suggestion for an in-parallel simulation of the game. During any moment in a raid, lets say the computer replaces the players with computer players playing at 100% skill level. So if you were to then run the game and compare the perfect performance of the simulated player to the in-game real life player, you could theoretically detect cheating by finding some correlations between the two. But this is quite resource heavy and difficult to implement, also something that has probably never been done before.