Iceman344

The big VM/VFIO issue

Iceman344
Posted (edited)

I've been using VFIO to be able to continue playing the game i love so much after switching to Linux as the main os. There was a small cost to pay for the extra hardware but It's been working perfectly for years and have enjoyed using it to play tonnes of other titles. It is one of the reasons why i got to play EFT so much now i don't have to reset my entire machine. This all changed with the last update 0.12.6.8026 where BattleEye got "improved" (no mention in the patch notes) and joining any game results in a "Anticheat connection lost", making the entire game unplayable in this relatively common situation.

There is reason in the fact that cheaters could use a virtualised system to read and modify data otherwise not accessible. But I'm positive that there is a larger amount of players using this with the right intentions. Enforcing this step of blocking these players will do more harm to the community then cheaters ever could, as there are some of the most vocal and engaged members.

For those members i plead that this game breaking issue is fixed

Edited by Iceman344
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

cr0nk
Posted (edited)

You are correct and not alone..

This is a shame that I can no longer play the game.. which in turn means I can no longer support the game. 

Thank you for taking the time to post and speak up for others like us.

I fear that this will fall on deaf ears..

Also, this blanket ban of all VM users is pointless because anyone who digs deeper will discover they only need to passthrough a dedicated sata controller to defeat battle-eye detecting QEMU.

Edited by cr0nk
  • Like 1

Riggenstimple

Yup same boat here.  Switched to Linux about a year ago, and I run all the games that I can't get running on Linux using VFIO, and have had no issues with any games up until now.

Kami_Kami

Jep have the same problem have to Stop playing because of this :(

TheDudelyLlama
Posted (edited)

Poorly implemented options similar to DRM have been implemented before with music, movies, books, software, other games. We all know what happens so on earth is this route being chosen.

Support has just told me that I must uninstall (not turn off) and delete all files associated with said "disallowed programs". Does anyone have a list of what these disallowed programs are? When my session dropped halfway through (not a check at the start, in the middle of a raid), I guessed it might be Docker/WSL2 which I use for my small business. This has never happened before and now I do not know what other software will lead to myself being disconnected part way through a raid simply because I have some software that other "might" use when cheating.

This is becoming something that no company should be able to impose on a licensee. I am reluctantly forced to seek remedy via other means despite having politely asking twice for such a list and being rebuffed each time.

Edited by TheDudelyLlama

cr0nk

Has any Battle State / EFT Developer responded to this issue yet? 

We may be a minority but no response is very telling.

This is the same reason why I will never buy any UBISOFT products as I was banned for cheating under what I assume are the same circumstances with NO EXPLANATION as to my "Cheating" as it would damage "Their Security". If that's how you feel then refund me my money for the game that I can no longer play. They outright banned me.. at least I know I could play EFT still should I dedicate hardware solely to windows.

So I respect that thus far from EFT but please fix your parameters for determining cheaters because other than this issue all I am seeing is people complaining about cheaters on your forums.

Thank you.

cr0nk

To clarify.. I have determined the issue is not battle eye as other titles work fine that also utilize battle eye in my system.

hapa8o8
On 7/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, Iceman344 said:

There is reason in the fact that cheaters could use a virtualised system to read and modify data otherwise not accessible.

You hit the nail on the head. If it can get rid of cheaters, then many of us windows users don't mind these types of systems being disabled/invalid. Get windows, stop being cheap, use it as your gaming system/OS. DUAL BOOT> It isn't difficult to multi-boot several OS these days. I have 14 distros (6 clients/8 servers) for linux I boot into on the fly, and windows for gaming only.

Stop being cheap; authenticate your windows; use it for only gaming; pat yourself on the back for using linux.

I hope all cheaters' computers contract viruses/worms and fries, burns, melts the machine. Karma PLZ

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

cr0nk
22 hours ago, hapa8o8 said:

You hit the nail on the head. If it can get rid of cheaters, then many of us windows users don't mind these types of systems being disabled/invalid. Get windows, stop being cheap, use it as your gaming system/OS. DUAL BOOT> It isn't difficult to multi-boot several OS these days. I have 14 distros (6 clients/8 servers) for linux I boot into on the fly, and windows for gaming only.

Stop being cheap; authenticate your windows; use it for only gaming; pat yourself on the back for using linux.

I hope all cheaters' computers contract viruses/worms and fries, burns, melts the machine. Karma PLZ

I and other legit VFIO users DO NOT CARE about what you DUAL BOOT WINDOWS users mind.

Dual boot is a waste of my systems resources.. I will not have it gimped just when I feel like playing a game.

Maybe you never got your VFIO and GPU passthrough to work and that's why you don't understand the convenience.

We need a Dev to respond to this issue.

Not responding to legit players * standard or EOD ( I have both ) is far more damaging than any sole cheater could be.

I am fine with being told my system is no longer valid by A DEV.

Then it will solidify that my purchase is now worthless in my current system and I can use my productivity elsewhere other than these forums.

For the hell of it I will dig up a spare pcie sata controller and passthrough to prove a workaround is capable of hiding QEMU and report back my findings.

If I am still able to run in a VM after this then they will understand this implementation was pointless to prevent cheaters.

Any cheater I have ever experienced  has very little knowledge to how a system actually operates.. instead they are just buying programs off people looking to profit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Burstahh_
Posted (edited)

Apparently we can't use VMs anymore because I got hit with a banhammer and apparently so did a lot of other legit linux users.... Here's the shitty thing about this, no warning whatsoever, $150 gone just like that all because my main rig HAS to have Linux for work purposes and running VM for Windows 10 was best solution for performnce without having to setup a needless dual boot. 

IT ALSO WAS NEVER AGAINST TOS...  So BSG or someone needs to get back to us on this matter...

If it was moved to the disallowed list, I would of swapped my poo over albeit inconvenient. 

Edited by Burstahh_

GhostZ69

I am sorry fellas, but the Dev's do NOT read this forum.  You will get no answers.  You will NOT get unbanned.  You are out of your game and your money as they also offer NO refunds.  Now, of course, their ToS does not override your country's consumer protection laws, but that just means you have to work a little harder to get your money back. 

@Burstahh_  @cr0nk @Kami_Kami @Iceman344

essezx
Posted (edited)

Just got back from my vacation. Joined my buddy and started playing and seconds after joining the game I'm greeted with "AntiCheat connection error". Why was this not stated in the patch notes, that you'll get banned if playing using VFIO/KVM? If that'd been the case I would have installed Windows again, just so that I wouldn't lose my money... Well, I guess I will lose them since people have stated that they have been banned later on?

Edited by essezx

djrico20one1
On 7/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, cr0nk said:

To clarify.. I have determined the issue is not battle eye as other titles work fine that also utilize battle eye in my system.

It is battle eye, it allows the game implementing it to turn features on and off, Tarkov decided to add this feature recently, but not all games using battle eye implement this. 

iamtakingiteasy

Well, thats hillarious. I've been using PCI passthrough since before vanilla linux got proper VFIO support and before all required IOMMU patches landed in mainline, with XEN been around 8 years now, 6 with linux kvm. Now to think I've supported a game with devs endorsing this kind of behavior is extremely unpleasant. I would not recommend EFT to anyone until this is addressed.

Dr_Wankingstein

Bsg really needs to fix this, or is this a specifically battleye thing? which one is the one that causes the issues?

iamtakingiteasy

Thats up to BSG to disable this policy implemented by battleeye.

Long-shot762

Same here with the ban because of VFIO, honestly, can't say I'm terribly surprised really. It seems that BSG is too busy implementing patches, updates, and "balancing" to actually deal with issues. Sent in a report a couple of months ago and no reply. Sad that they got too focused on "bUt I sHoUlD bE aBlE tO sUrViVe A 7.62x54R bUlLeT tO tHe ChEsT!!!" It is what it is.

Edited by Long-shot762

parsec

Yeah, same boat here. Just finished setting up my debian with crypt-lvm on my entire m2-ssd .. now that ive read that this is happening, i can reformat my ssd and start the setup from scratch with win dualboot in mind ... grrrr .. 
This isnt the fault of any Developers of games or anticheat engines, but microsofts, because they started to make all their poo proprietary back in the 90s and worked close with hardware vendors to ensure their monopole over the PC gaming market with their DirectX framework. And thats the reason why the open source gaming community is where it is now. Its getting better at all fronts with the rise of vulkan and the monetary support that the god emperor gaben is pushing into linux gaming, but multiplayer games with anticheat are a very realy problem. And now not only do they not support the open source community anymore at all, they even go ahead and take away the ONLY bridge that we where able to use between *nix systems and evilcorpOS.. thats really unfair.

• Upvote 1

parsec
Am 13.9.2020 um 11:02 schrieb Long-shot762:

Sad that they got too focused on "bUt I sHoUlD bE aBlE tO sUrViVe A 7.62x54R bUlLeT tO tHe ChEsT!!!" It is what it is.

welp .. tarkov is as far from realistic as can be. Like .. the bullet impact physics are non existant or a shot to the leg while youre running would just blow you off your feet. Or when people are just pushing in on you, you hit them five times in the upper body and they dont even flinch because the armor protected them ... its like .. uhm .. but the bullet impacts should have knocked them over like three times already kek ..

s00pcan

I was playing with VMs on two accounts, two GPUs on one machine. Now I have two run two machines. It's a waste of my system resources. I could have all three of my systems running linux native, but now I have to do this instead. I contacted both battlestate and battleye about this.

Battleye:

KVMs may become unsupported in the near future. The only solution here is to actually install Windows as a separate OS and boot into that.

Battlestate:

Contact BattlEye support on this issue: https://www.battleye.com/support/

I just want a developer to respond to this. I know there are a handful of cheaters using this, but it's just lazy to ban VMs altogether due to this.

NRHSF
On 7/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, hapa8o8 said:

Yah... Only that this can be bypassed really easily if you know what you are doing.
It is not about being cheap, it is about the company behind Windows and the operating system itself. Windows is just not good anymore. (I loved windows 7, rip aero)
Also some people have saved a lot just to buy the hardware they have, some cannot afford to dualboot windows as (most of the times) they do not have a second drive. And yes I know that you can install both on the same drive, however windows by itself takes a lot of space by itself because of it's bloatware. When you cannot afford more disk space, that disk space becomes precious. I suppose you can debloat it however that takes time. There are debloated windows iso's out there, however most of the times the links are sketchy at best.
Let's not forget about Windows being overpriced. (however you can find a copy for cheap on second hand sites)