Sounds in forests

TheSzeckler

TheSzeckler

Add more sounds on areas covered with forest, like the sound when you step on a small dried out stick of wood that makes a cracking wood noise.

The noises where you touch bushes are too similar to eachother add more varieties, make them more realistic [i think at the moment they are way to loud when touched, not every bush is dried out and super loud....].

Game definitely needs more sounds when in forest.

GhostZ69

The whole game needs a sound rework rather than all of the starter content default sounds we have.  Well, on second thought, they should probably use the default sounds, a lot of them are better than what is on game now.

TheSzeckler
4 hours ago, GhostZ69 said:

The whole game needs a sound rework rather than all of the starter content default sounds we have.  Well, on second thought, they should probably use the default sounds, a lot of them are better than what is on game now.

I really hope they work on that, i know they have this new huge project going on with Steam Audio, its just missing so many different sounds.

SirBarnaby

I am all for this. For a game that tries to be realistic, realistic soundwork is a definite factor.

I also think that weapon echo's should differ according to the environment. Forests should have more, plain open fields less.

ACuddlyBadger

Forests need more in general. They are the same copypasted trees with the same foliage, the same awful and noisy gravel patches, not enough fallen dead trees, not enough underbrush. They suffer from what DayZ and Deadside suffers from; completely uninspiring level design when it comes to natural environments. The Customs expansion is really damn good because you can see bunches of ferns and weeds growing on every dirt mound, more shrubs around the edges of walls etc. Nikita said in a Russian podcast that BSG plans to completely overhaul foliage etc.

SirBarnaby
9 hours ago, ACuddlyBadger said:

Forests need more in general. They are the same copypasted trees with the same foliage, the same awful and noisy gravel patches, not enough fallen dead trees, not enough underbrush. They suffer from what DayZ and Deadside suffers from; completely uninspiring level design when it comes to natural environments. The Customs expansion is really damn good because you can see bunches of ferns and weeds growing on every dirt mound, more shrubs around the edges of walls etc. Nikita said in a Russian podcast that BSG plans to completely overhaul foliage etc.

I sure hope they want to overhaul foliage.

The thing is though, the foliage in the alpha stages of the game was a lot more lush. I can give you an example, LINK.

Redangelguts
On 7/24/2020 at 12:43 PM, TheSzeckler said:

Add more sounds on areas covered with forest, like the sound when you step on a small dried out stick of wood that makes a cracking wood noise.

The noises where you touch bushes are too similar to eachother add more varieties, make them more realistic [i think at the moment they are way to loud when touched, not every bush is dried out and super loud....].

Game definitely needs more sounds when in forest.

more variety of sound files is a lot of RAM/HD/loadtime overhead... part of the beauty of steam audio is the pitch, volume and echo changes to sounds to create more variety while using the same sound files...

...this can be emulated without steam audio where you code sounds to play general pitch, echo and volume within a range close to default but slightly offset, it's true that the game is pretty repetitive as is, very outdated sound system that can be grating on the ears over time, if you use steam audio on top of that it will create even more variety and depth of sounds