Sign in to follow this  
DroogKris

The perception of a cheating problem.

DroogKris

I would be willing to bet that 90%+ of what people think is "cheating" is just a cocktail of mystery and ego.  I don't mean that in the pejorative.  But we all have egos.  if we didn't it would not be fun to compete...at all.  So when you die and you feel like you were doing everything right, in the absence of knowledge your ego will make you suspicious.  Obviously it's better to make choices and draw conclusions without emotions involved, but we are humans, and that's just not the way humans behave.  (at least not the humans that are socially adept enough to make more humans).   I think a "kill cam", as is traditionally ubiquitous in FPS games, and likely for this very reason, would solve MOST of what s perceived as a cheating problem.  I get that the devs want that mystery to be part of the game play, but I think there is ground where that dynamic of mystery can be preserved and players can get the information that helps them conclude more reasonably.  Because I perceive the biggest hurdle for those who are tasked in reviewing the "cheating" reports will be weeding through the aggravated players that reported cheating in the absence of reason.   

First of all, I recognize the value in keeping that information from the user.  Not only in that immediate game, where the killer should not have their hide exposed arbitrarily, and in the long term where a good player with superior map knowledge should not be educating those they kill, thus weakening their own advantage over the general population.  I think the most concerning problem is the former.   You should absolutely not have your hide exposed because a dead person was able to see a kill cam and relay that info to living players.  That 100% spoils the integrity of the game play.  I think where there is ground for a solution is in sacrificing the aspect of keeping that secret after the game is over. 

With all the professional and recreational streamers out there, secrets are only secrets for hours not days, and certainly not weeks.  i think very little is gained by protecting that information after the raid is over, and at an exceptional cost.  

Make it part of the after action report.  you click "next" and watch a 3 second kill cam.  And that can be where you have your mechanism to report malfeasance.  And if you are concerned about someone watching that and reporting to their living teammates information that is in conflict with game integrity, then make grouped players wait until all teammates are dead to see the AAR.  You can even give a dead grouped player the option to forego their kill cam and move to the AAR prior to their teammates leaving the raid. That way if someone has suspicion about the terms of their death, they can choose to wait to see the AAR for themselves.  

Thoughts?

• Like 3

traumacode

The idea of a kill cam has been introduced many times and unfortunately it is not part of the plan.  I agree in many cases it can help differentiate between who is concerning for cheating versus desync vs you just got killed by your own error.

Honestly, I think it would be a very useful addition to include from the killer's perspective as well as your own perspective.  I don't know how feasible it is to implement this system.  I would imagine it should only be available after the raid has ended so that players on discord/team chat cannot call out another's active location.

Alternatively, stream your game as many of us do and then you can review it and determine if it was a mistake on your part (like you made noise when you thought you didn't) or if you saw a player was peaking you prior to your recognizing, etc.

DroogKris

I agree, and even mentioned it, about not letting it be available until there is no chance of calling out to remaining players.  I'm not as computer savvy as I am a gaming enthusiast. so I'm not sure what the best way to keep that from happening is.  But I'm confident that it's not a logistical problem, and instead a conscious decision to keep the dead in the dark.  I think it adds very little to the aura of mystery that the devs want, and it would go miles to improve players confidence.  I have no idea what is or is not in the plans, but this very much should be.  It's fabricating a horrible experience that is going to shed users, when that can all be avoided, and easily done without changing the dynamic of an ongoing game.  

1 hour ago, traumacode said:

Alternatively, stream your game as many of us do and then you can review it and determine if it was a mistake on your part (like you made noise when you thought you didn't) or if you saw a player was peaking you prior to your recognizing, etc.

I like this idea.  But I often play alone.  And I like playing alone.  So there is no reason that one should have to use 3rd party software and check with others to get the information that the game should give them.  And I think the game should give it to them . aside from the cheating thing.  why shouldn't you learn where you fucked up, in a way that cannot change the circumstances of the current game?  To keep that information from me seems punitive, and leaves a bad, authoritative taste in my mouth. 

• Like 2