davidj123456

How should items be priced?

How should items be priced?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How should weapons, armor, and ammunition be priced?

• Based on how easy they are to obtain in the game.
    • Based on how effective they are at killing people (weapons/ammo) and how effective they are at saving you (armor).
    • Based on real-life (Mosin $25 Unit Cost, M4A1 $700 Unit Cost)
    • Other [Please state in comments]

davidj123456

I am specifically talking about weapons, ammo, and armor. 
I am discussing what the community thinks of the current prices (just prices) that exist in the game and what should be done with them. I am not trying to discuss whether certain items should be rarer, whether the game should be full-realistic, whether certain things should be available at different levels, or whatever. Just prices.

In my opinion the current pricing seems a bit... random. In my opinion having pricing based on realism would make the game very unbalanced especially for new players. Certain armor & rounds which are very ineffective in this game would suddenly be priced very high, as they are in real life, which may make someone assume that they are good, when in this game they are actually very bad. 
In my opinion, pricing should be based on effectiveness. Money is not too hard to make in this game. There is plenty of information available online of which money-runs you can use and generally how you can make money in this game. As such pricing items based on their effectiveness would bring more balancing.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

RainmakerM4

No one will sell a mosin in real life for 25 dollars. Stop talking gibberish. If this was true i would have a garage full of mosins

• Like 1

DukeLander

In East Europe you can buy ak47 for 50€ :)

Prices are ok because they are based on offer and demand.

Before wipe was better because everyone had money to buy anything and prices were more " realistic".

Nowadays because of new FiR system and harder money making we have insane prices for best ammo in game i.e.

Harvg123

I think that it should be a combination of 1 and 2. Definitely supply and demand should play a huge part, if everyone wants to use a certain weapon... it should cost more because of this, the nature of having a player run flea market. However this should be regulated by the amount of items spawning in raids. Dynamic loot like this will never be implemented unfortunately but would be great to see!

• Like 1

skyflashde

Everything should be barter only.

And the barter value should be based on their rarity in the game, which in turn should be based on their effectiveness at killing people.

So:

• Sad 1

DissAbledGamer
Posted (edited)

I think when considering costs, one must remember it's not easy to make 45 million in 1 week in the same fashion available in EFT, so for the most part the universal Supply/Demand capitalism is always a good start. I disagree with hardcaps like they have imposed currently, it is non sense when red key requires so much work to obtain (generally). I've had some luck visiting rooms that were left alone on shoreline to find red key twice, and that is twice in I don't know how many raid 1000+, but NEVER when I'm trying to find them deliberately. It's always some random "let's just check it out" that always turns out fruitful and that is like one in 200~500 raids on shoreline. So... I feel like you can farm so much more during those hundreds of raids than what the card is worth so the current hardcap makes zero sense except due to the rmt deal, but still meh. 

Edited by DissAbledGamer

davidj123456
22 hours ago, RainmakerM4 said:

No one will sell a mosin in real life for 25 dollars. Stop talking gibberish. If this was true i would have a garage full of mosins

UNIT cost. That is the price to produce a Mosin in the Soviet Union. 700$ for an M4 in the US.
Look it up kid.

• Like 1

Zoanthid

The problem has always been the balance of high pen ammo against the strength of the armor. Currently the high pen ammo is really easy to get, after level 10 there is really no reason to be using subpar ammo. On the flip side armor vests can be over powered against low pen ammo so players see high pen ammo as vital. There was a time around 2018 where even low penning ammo was very powerful against people's legs and arms so BSG reworked the blacked out limb features massively nerfing cheap ammo. In my opinion this was a bad decision as it has led to the ammo meta we are currently experiencing now. Also the low pen ammo is supposed to have a high chance of fragmenting but due to a bug in the game if pen is not above a certain amount and forgive me i dont recall the exact number but it wont fragment at all. As far as i know there has been no discussion on fixing said bug. Unfortunate really because it was alot more fun to toy around with fun effective builds but now the meta is all geared towards penetration and armor is effectively just a cosmetic.

Majlo

The supply of items should be "realistic", and the price should be based on supply and demand and auto adjust accordingly with the starting price of any newly added item being of it's IRL counter-part in "an EFT scenario".

Say PK has GPNVG-18s that the UN bought for store price (no discount), PK didn't buy it, so he would sell it illegally at a discounted price, say at most 50% off and at least 90% off.

If no one is buying it at the 90% off, he'd lower his prices until it is sold.

There would also need to be a global item limit, as there shouldn't be an unlimited supply existing of anything. Not every one should be able to have GPNVG-18 at the same time. This would have to be limited with an arbitrary number by BSG depending on the global player population, say, how many players played at least one raid in the latest month.

Hamm
On 8/6/2020 at 10:35 AM, skyflashde said:

Everything should be barter only.

And the barter value should be based on their rarity in the game, which in turn should be based on their effectiveness at killing people.

So:

Ya, what a great idea. So let me spend hours finding things to barter for to finally be able to run a good kit(modded gun, and lvl 5 armor), then i load into a raid with the stuff i just spent hours if not days to barter for and then die 4 seconds into cause of a cheater. Sounds like a great plan........

no 

oldirty

BSG once said they want to get rid of money on a large scale, money might not be that much of a factor in the future.

Aazatgrabya
On 8/6/2020 at 3:08 PM, Harvg123 said:

I think that it should be a combination of 1 and 2. Definitely supply and demand should play a huge part, if everyone wants to use a certain weapon... it should cost more because of this, the nature of having a player run flea market. However this should be regulated by the amount of items spawning in raids. Dynamic loot like this will never be implemented unfortunately but would be great to see!

I agree, a combination of options 1 & 2.

Considering the lore the best of the best should be super rare (inc ammo), as a consequence the place should be littered with shotguns and 74U's.  In such a war-torn environment cut off from the World it seems ridiculous we have unlimited access to crazy powerful weapons ammo and armour so easily.  Dropping the availability should quite rightly increase their perceived value - barter or otherwise - and therefore make the most efficient defensive and offensive materials more expensive.

chrisragnar

Just normal supply and demand. If something is too cheap just lower supply.

DissAbledGamer
On 8/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, Majlo said:

The supply of items should be "realistic", and the price should be based on supply and demand and auto adjust accordingly with the starting price of any newly added item being of it's IRL counter-part in "an EFT scenario".

Say PK has GPNVG-18s that the UN bought for store price (no discount), PK didn't buy it, so he would sell it illegally at a discounted price, say at most 50% off and at least 90% off.

If no one is buying it at the 90% off, he'd lower his prices until it is sold.

There would also need to be a global item limit, as there shouldn't be an unlimited supply existing of anything. Not every one should be able to have GPNVG-18 at the same time. This would have to be limited with an arbitrary number by BSG depending on the global player population, say, how many players played at least one raid in the latest month.

I have 14 reap ir / 16 flir sitting in my stash because i don't use them and just pick them off bodies.... what will you do if there was a limit and I had all of them. I rarely use thermals. Global limit isn't realistic at all since if an item is in demand the manufacturer would create more of the product not limit it... I agree with the portion about lower price than vendor as I don't understand the crazy numbers I see in flea market when the vendor sells for 1/4 of the price. 

Majlo
12 hours ago, DissAbledGamer said:

I have 14 reap ir / 16 flir sitting in my stash because i don't use them and just pick them off bodies.... what will you do if there was a limit and I had all of them. I rarely use thermals.

I see. Yeah, this is indeed a flaw in my economic vision.

To solve it there could be a low % of the global limit trickling back in every month, pseudo increasing the global item limits for items.

Global limit isn't realistic at all since if an item is in demand the manufacturer would create more of the product not limit it...

Yes, but in the case of the game it's not the manufacturer selling you the item. It's black market merchants who can only steal so much to smuggle into Tarkov.

Peacekeeper can't steal ALL of the UN's NVGs without them finding out about it and likewise Prapor can't steal the RUAF's entire supply of weaponry.

There simply is only "so much" of every item in Tarkov. Most of these global limits would be/should be so high you almost never notice them, but other things would be so scarce you'd rarely ever see them.

I agree with the portion about lower price than vendor as I don't understand the crazy numbers I see in flea market when the vendor sells for 1/4 of the price.

Likewise if the merchant thinks he could get a better deal (he sees on the market that PMCs/Scavs are selling for more than him and still making money), the merchant would upp his price. A fully dynamic economy based on supply and demand with a capped supply (with a small trickle of increase every month).

RainmakerM4
On 8/6/2020 at 3:42 PM, DukeLander said:

In East Europe you can buy ak47 for 50€ :)

Prices are ok because they are based on offer and demand.

Before wipe was better because everyone had money to buy anything and prices were more " realistic".

Nowadays because of new FiR system and harder money making we have insane prices for best ammo in game i.e.

another expert here... 50 euros 

DukeLander

Oh boy... Black market prices, my expert... Ukraine and Bosnia are full of them.