Shunji

How am I supposed to deal with that as a new player, please ?

Shunji

Hello guys! 

Started playing Tarkov like 1 week ago, i'm enjoying the game so far (well, till today I have to admit..) learning maps and stuff, and I began with Customs.
I did a lot of Customs and was a bit lost at beginning but now I know every extract and I can pretty much be able to know where I am 90% of time. I'm having a hard time tbh but well, that's the game and that's suppoosed to be hard, i'm good with it and I like it. 
Still, I got that gear fear a bit as PMC which makes me avoid taking the best gear I have in my stash and instead going with like mosin/armor without any attachments and trying to ramp up a gear and gather somme valuable loots here and there etc..Sometimes it went well, sometimes not, but it seems very worth in the end because I could end with a lot of gear in my stash doing that.
Alternating between PMC and scav run etc..So I ended up with some cool gear that i'm not used to take with me in PMC runs.

Today I tried to bite the bullet of the gear fear and do some runs with some of this cool gear I had instead of just selling it. Well.. How can I say that.. This just disgusted me and just didn't put away the gear fear at all, instead improving it in the wrong direction. With what happened on those runs, I just wanna stick to scav runs and low geared PMC runs, but I know that's wrong.

What happened is, in these 3 runs I did, 1 of them was an almost instant spawnkill after like 1m30-2m by someone in my back killing me in 3seconds (I had armor class 4 and a helmet etc..) on a full auto weapon that sounded like a good weapon of what I could hear lol, 2 others was me being killed in the back aswell by some sniper of which seemed like I couldn't get cover off (that was not the scav sniper, they were dead) and it was like not even 10min into the raid. So.. Yeah I don't know what I should do about it, I know i'm playing badly I guess as a new player, it was not very fun nor interactive since I couldn't fire back at all, I was annoyed as hell after those deaths and didn't know what to do, that was a pretty bad and disgusting experience.

Any tips on what I should do ? Maybe Customs is not that beginner friendly to begin with ? Is there any other map that is not so punishing about placement or idk, maybe I actually shouldn't take my best gear for now and wait a bit to be more familiar ? 

Thanks guys, hope you have a good day! :)

JarlBrock

The way I started was by playing factory. Not the best loot, but you can get practice with gun mechanics and firefights since it is such a close quarters map. I would say do that until you are feeling fairly confident with gunskill. I would say focus on scav runs until you start building that skill and confidence, and then start trying raids. Something I didn't know as a new player was how important ammo/armor quality was. There are a bunch of charts online to see the different levels of ammo quality. But when you do start doing raids, just buy pacas and the green old school soviet helmet. The pacas kinda suck, but that green helmet is probably the best bang for the buck helmet at a low level. They are cheap too so it's not that much of a loss if you die. I would say try to get good with semi auto weapons too like the SKS and such. That's a pretty decent weapon once you get the aiming down. Don't forget the mosin too. The mosin is quite powerful but you gotta hit those shots. 

• Upvote 1

Shunji

Thanks for you answer! Yea that's actually not a bad idea, i'm gonna try to dome offline Factory runs vs Scav to be more confident about my shot and movement etc.. (I'm not a perfect player at all, but i'm not that bad on other FPS) i'll take that tips!

Well yeah, the scavs run is what I did the most in the game for now since it is less frustrating for me if I die aha. Today I learned that Scav has its own stats and level and..Tbh, I have a WAY better Survival rate in Scav which is lv 8 (~~60% survival rate) than my PMC which is lv 6 and 29% SR.. lol.

I did some good run aswell with Mosing, backpack, and a little armor and those have to be my best run so far. 
Thanks for the tips, i'll make sure to give it a try :)

Crimson_Tide

Man, you are running into the exact same thing I am running into.  I have had the game about 10 days or so and yes, I have the fear of losing gear also.  My frustration stems from when I play as a Scav, most of the time i do extract, or I last a long while before I die.  If i go as my main guy and use my gear, I die within 5 minutes almost every time.   Typing this its became obvious to me that Im probably getting killed by scavs actually.  Wish I could see a kill cam or something (but Im glad we dont have them at the same time).  

Whatever the reason, I feel your pain.  Im just gonna keep pushing through and see how I wind up in a few weeks.  

BrettB
Posted (edited)

Ive been playing this game for about 3 years and guessing 3-4 wipes.

I still have it, and I use my scav 98% of the time. Ive done 71 raids this wipe. Gear fear is a real thing, and apparently the only way to get over it is die. Die. Die. Im not cool with that so I just dont PMC.

Even less incentive to run PMC for me is the new quest/gamma. I have to find 4 spark plugs in raid right? I find one, gamma, die,  doesnt count. No point running PMC for me.

Still the same enjoyment for me though. 

Edited by BrettB

Crimson_Tide

Yea BrettB, im defintely enjoying it, well most of the time anyway, lol.  Only thing about running SCAV all the time is do you get any experience at all for it?

Ikor

It's typical new player experience in Tarkov which is not right and it's a dev's fault. First, new players have to resort to external web sites to get any information about the game, it's maps, it's mechanics, quests. I mean there is ZERO information inside the game about the game. Second, there is no player separation based on progression and/or loot. So new players that have no idea about the game get to fight with top-tier veterans. Third, all useful gear is progression locked (flea-market too). So new players have no knowledge and no gear and have to fight against top-tier veterans with best gear.

This creates a negative player experience for any new player. There is no environment for a new player to get better and get fun in the process. This game is unfair. It's badly designed. The game gets easier with progression instead of getting harder. It's messed up. It should be other way. I mean when you're level 40 and have your shelter maxed up the money is flowing even if you're not going into raids at all. You have 1 mil rubbles a day to burn on gear without any gear fear.

So the only advice is endure. Read wiki, watch some vids to learn how to play. Minimize losses until you get a stable income. Learn high tier loot spawn locations, do some naked grab&extract runs. Practice firefights and scav logic at Factory or in PvE. On the next wipe everyone will be equalized for a week or so.

BrettB

No mate you dont, but that doesnt really bother me.

Wipes are frequentish, so there is a point for it, but also not much. EXP comes from surviving raids and completing quests, but in my view there isnt much point in trying the quests with the FIR (Found in Raid) gamma situation.

Hyroglyphos

You are doing well ;) Overcoming GearFearTM is a thing you get used to after alot of dying...
I'm playing this game since 2017 and it takes alot of time to learn it, more to master if thats even possible. Starting mid/end of a wipe feels always harder because there are some serious sweaty-girls and bois out there xD The start of a wipe is the perfect place to getting into it without encoutering the full geared players.

What you can do to get more used to your high-value gear is play offline mode on a high botrate, that's how i play my warmups. It won't heal your GearTearTM but you will grow more confident in using modded weapons and heavy armor.

Customs is a nice place to start, especially after the expansion you can avoid some encounters and go sneaky to an extract. But to be honest, all maps will get you with your face in the dirt, even after 3 years ;)

If you keep playing: The second wipe you will playing is much much easier. Doesn't help now, i know, but this is Tarkov, welcome. :)

Shunji

Nice to see all those replies and to see that i'm not alone aswell lol !

Well, I guess you guys that are in the same situation as mine, we're gonna overcome that a day, it's just that we need more experience and.. Need to die, a lot ! That is how the game is meant to be learned I guess 😅

And, don't get me wrong, I'm like REALLY enjoying the game and how it is made, how all the systems works etc, it's just that I found that new player experience kinda frustrating for some of those games where you really feel like you couldn't do anything else than die because you were clueless of the situation or what could've happened ahaha.

5 hours ago, BrettB said:

Ive been playing this game for about 3 years and guessing 3-4 wipes.

I still have it, and I use my scav 98% of the time. Ive done 71 raids this wipe. Gear fear is a real thing, and apparently the only way to get over it is die. Die. Die. Im not cool with that so I just dont PMC.

Even less incentive to run PMC for me is the new quest/gamma. I have to find 4 spark plugs in raid right? I find one, gamma, die,  doesnt count. No point running PMC for me.

Still the same enjoyment for me though. 

I know your feel ! I didn't play for that long at all, but yea, I totally feel what you mean. I find it way more fun and stress free to play as scav and like the randomness of the stuff you can get and try do something with that etc.. And that is mainly because of the gear fear ! I know that if I can get over it, I would enjoy PMC as much as my scav runs for sure and I think that is the same for you.

I guess we need to die a bit more, we need to realize that anyway if we die, we can potentially get our stuff back (I just got some gears back that felt good) and if we don't that's okay, it is not worth "that much"' compared to the money we can make on scav etc.. But even If I know that, that gear fear is real lol.

3 hours ago, Hyroglyphos said:

You are doing well ;) Overcoming GearFearTM is a thing you get used to after alot of dying...
I'm playing this game since 2017 and it takes alot of time to learn it, more to master if thats even possible. Starting mid/end of a wipe feels always harder because there are some serious sweaty-girls and bois out there xD The start of a wipe is the perfect place to getting into it without encoutering the full geared players.

What you can do to get more used to your high-value gear is play offline mode on a high botrate, that's how i play my warmups. It won't heal your GearTearTM but you will grow more confident in using modded weapons and heavy armor.

Customs is a nice place to start, especially after the expansion you can avoid some encounters and go sneaky to an extract. But to be honest, all maps will get you with your face in the dirt, even after 3 years ;)

If you keep playing: The second wipe you will playing is much much easier. Doesn't help now, i know, but this is Tarkov, welcome. :)

Hey, thanks for the tips man (or girl!) that is appreciated ! :) Yea I assumed that aswell, that is just because i'm beginning so I put too much value on stuff that is not worth that much actually once you master the game aha

With Factory, i'm gonna train some "Horde" mode in Customs aswell that could help for more wide area battles I guess 😀

To be honnest, I'm really a stubborn guy I don't wanna give up on some frustrating deaths, even if .. it is like VERY frustrating on the moment you get killed by some juggernaut 6 class armor guy

Antmax

I'm having the same experience. I am 60 hours in and only 26 raids with my PMC, almost all done since the sale when I bought EOD. Even with EOD my stash fills up with stuff needed for my hideout and trades. Often just needing an item or two I can't obtain so it's all filling up space. Yesterday I got rid of some of my gear fear. I sold my Level 6 Armor because it was taking up too much room. got about 280,000 for it. Figured it might as well be useful instead of sitting there or being donated to the first person that shoots me within the first 5 mins of a raid lol.

Scav runs on interchange are easy and lucrative. PMC's not so much because it's hard to approach the shopping centers near the start of the game. I have more luck with my PMC in customs so long as I keep a low profile, hide in shadows and run away if a player shoots at me but mostly misses. 

It's a tough game.

Zoanthid

You need more game knowledge and not just where everything is but spawns and how they interact with each other. If you know where someone spawns you can then make an educated guess on where they are likely to go. Stuff that takes experience and dedication to truly master is available either by teaming up with advanced players or watching streams and youtube videos. Put the time in to learn and you will be better then average in no time. Add me as friend in game or DM me if you wanna play some raids and learn some stuff?

• Upvote 1

davidj123456

Add me on discord (info below). I can explain all the basics to you and help you out.

Antmax

I played my first Friday night on the California server last night and it was brutal. I had played earlier in the afternoon and managed to survive both times I went out and was feeling pretty good.

When I came back between 11pm and 1 am. 2/3 of the players on customs queue were EOD and about half of those around level 50. It averaged about 4 players under level 10 like myself. The queue scrolled the whole page a couple of times so the busiest I have seen it. 

1st of those 3 games I spawned on top of a hill with pylon and rusty fence behind me. I wasn't really sure where I was for a moment and trying to get my bearings. Decided to not follow the fence and move towards the tracks at about 40 degrees off the fence. Was killed in a record 25 seconds. 0 experience points.

2nd game I spawned exactly the same place, last time I guess someone ran up the hill from a spawn by the blocked railway so I headed more to the right, skirt around gas station, I figured I'd try and get away from all the action and try and get some skavs near the river before seeing if there was any loot. Stopped in a bush next to a shady tree to check the map on my tablet. 0 experience points.

3rd game start near the river  on the bank. Head towards big red trying to find skavs. Traversed one side of big red and decide I really should get some experience points this time. so I go to the hut with the file cabinet and med box. Meds were ok, file cabinet was junk and I heard a noise. Unfortunately I took a cheap bolt action with me so I wouldn't lose much. Take aim but guy runs in past the door spraying with automatic fire COD style so didn't have a chance. 80 xp

4th game, I ended up half way along the railway track next to big red. Didn't know about this spawn. So realized last game I must have gone right past this guy to go to the blue hut. This time I go under the concrete platform to see if I can spy a scav.  Poke my head out from besides a bigrig cab. There was a figure that darted into Big reds large side door. Peek again, is that a skav? he is so small I need to wait and see if I spot them again. They peek same time I do and one shot me to the head. 0 experience.

That sums up my first late Friday night in Customs with my PMC lol. Scavs in interchange I have about 90% survival rate, so I was doing those to get extra weapons, armour and cheap bags to wear in customs. S

o it wasn't totally bad, but hard to level up and could really do with a fleamarket to get some builds on my hideout completed. I only need: 

1 medical bloodset,
1 saline solution,
3 corrugated hose,
1 wrench
1 car battery
1 blue drill

to complete 5 upgrades, especially Lavatory 2 for building containers and make some space in my stash.