L-Sakata

What is the necessity of the "memory" stat, or skill decay?

L-Sakata

I get a little bit bugged by mechanics that appear to have the sole purpose of requiring a player to log in and jump hoops that serve no purpose other than artificial counter inflation. People have lives, and jobs that may require sudden long term absences. You may have the inability to play games for a while. Things like medical stuff, job requiring putting in exhaustive hours for extended periods, higher education, etc. can prevent a player from getting into the game for a fairly extended amount of time. I recall several times I had orders for changing station, or deployment, where I had <24 hours to get my house in order, and was unable to play online games for an extended amount of time.

If I read the "Memory" skill's tin correctly, the implication is that skills decay over time. While on the realism side, I can understand such a system, but at the same time, this is a game, and we're here to have fun. And if someone has to leave for a long time, they shouldn't be punished for that.

Not really sure what the purpose of skill decay in general is, nor what the reasoning for having a 'memory' skill to go with it. 

• Upvote 1

Antmax

Yeah, you might not have to pay with $. But the game expects you to pay with your time. It's the same with the insurance and task rewards. This is my first time playing and I usually have a full stash. Didn't realize I had to collect all my rewards within a time limit like all the Skier and mechanic missions I have done. I actually forgot about them since last weekend because I started doing their missions last Sat. This weekend I discovered that I'm "Out of Time" for 6 rewards :)

I probably haven't played the game long enough to notice skills degenerating yet.

L-Sakata

I get that you pay with time... however; a person invests time in the game, then gets shipped off to Bum-fut Egypt and has no reliable internet access, or access to a decent PC. Why should that person be penalized for not being able to play?

As it stands during beta access, the wipes occur due to large changes in code and/or systems, which I totally get. I'm not attached to my current character much as I know that tomorrow there could be a patch that wipes everything out.

From what I have come to understand, one of the development goals is to have a persistent world (maybe not 'massively multiplayer' but some form of instancing as is currently done), without resets, and all that jazz. Once it reaches that point, and the game is released, I would totally get why someone, including myself, would be really pissed off if they had to pull 6 months away, then come back to a high leveled, but useless character, because all the skills had decayed. Then the gear they are used to using wouldn't function the same, they'd have to essentially sell off equipment they'd worked to be able to use, go back to playing as a scrub; but a higher leveled scrub - which has consequences like having to listen to people whine, "you're level 40, why are you rolling around with a level 10 scrub fit? You should have the strength to carry X..."

It is also a system that I can foresee to be easily abused by bean-counters once the game has matured. With such a system, it won't be long after the original devs have put the game in cruise control that some marketing moron comes along and ruins the game by introducing twink-boosters via micro-transactions -- imagine having to pay for a 'memory booster' or something stupid along those lines, so that your skills don't decrease as fast / at all. I believe it's best to yell about this now, early in beta, so that the system isn't pre-engineered in a way that promotes this kind of crap down the road.

chrisragnar

If I had to guess what the Devs wanted for skills.

Skills would enhance your PMC differently depending on your playstyle. So only things you do alot would actually stay maxed out. Like if you sneak alot, or if you are more of a sprinter etc.

However players will always just try to game the system if they know how it works, so it's probably trying to stop players from cheesing skills to max just for the bonus. Hoping people would just let skills lvl naturally depending on playstyle.

L-Sakata

I'd be fine with levelling skills based on usage of those skills. I just don't agree with a decay mechanic that ends up screwing people who aren't just "playing war games" but are sent out to actually participate. And it's not like these people can just say, "Nah, I think I'll just stay home." Or "Whaah, I quit, I'll find another job."  Not that people with normal jobs could do that either, if they wanted to keep their family and themselves fed... or in these days, being able to find and buy a roll of TP :P

L-Sakata

Also, with skill decay... skills don't really leave you. Especially ones that you did a lot, or that you did with survival in mind.

I'm pretty sure that 15 years out, you could still put an M-16 (or about any AR15 based weapon platform) or an M9 on a table with me blindfolded and I could tear it down, oil it, reassemble, load, chamber and un-chamber it. I might not be 100% as fast as 15 years ago, but 2nd time I'd probably be really close to nailing it.

Same thing with riding a bicycle -- I can't even remember the last time I even owned a bicycle, but I can guarantee you I'd be able to ride it. 

davidj123456

Many of these changes exist because people were abusing existing mechanics. For example insurance has a timer on it because people were using insurance menu as a way to store items almost like a 2nd stash. 

Also the game is in Beta and BSG needs to encourage people to keep testing it even when they run out of content or stuff to do. Mechanics like the one you described encourage you to log in every day and play often.

Edited by davidj123456