Tru_Fallen

5 things you NEED to know to succeed in EFT

Tru_Fallen
Posted (edited)

Escape from tarkov is an incredibly unforgiving game, in which every mistake counts. In this straight to the point guide, I'll be teaching you some of the MOST important things ive learned over the last month I've had this game (~200 hours).

1. Know your tools.

In EFT, knowledge matters more then anything else in the game. But, just because it matters more doesn't mean combat is a walk in the park either. By knowing your tools, you can even the playing field with even the very best of players. Here are some very important keybinds/controls you should memorize.

Q-E to Lean
Rainbow Six players are very familiar with this, and if you ask any of them what happens if you don't use it, it's simple; You die. Being able to only stick your head out rather then your whole body is game changing and WILL win you many gunfights.

ALT + T to Check magazine
In a game where ammo means everything (more on that later), its definitely nice to be able to know how much you have left. This game aims to be as realistic as playable, and that means that this isn't Call Of Duty, where you have unlimited magazines. Each mag has x amount of bullets, and by reloading before a magazine is done, you now have however much was left in that magazine next time you reload that mag. You don't want to reload mid firefight unless you have to.

Middle mouse button to FreeLook
This has got to be one of the most important mechanics in the game. By using freelook, you can look around without actually moving the rest of your body, allowing you to survey a larger portion of the area you're in without needing to stop sprinting.

2. Expensive guns are a luxury, not a need.

In most games you've played before, each gun has its own damage stat, maybe even recoil pattern. However, this is much much different in EFT. In this game, bullets mean everything. Each bullet has a damage and penetration stat, and those are incredibly important. You always want to buy good ammo, otherwise you may find yourself putting 2 full mags into a player, then getting 1 shot by him, and other similar situations. Buy good ammo kids. There are lots of good expensive guns that of course make a difference, but when you start up you wont be a chad that can spend millions on guns. Armour and ammo are the 2 most important items in the game, and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. 

3. Running and gunning is incredibly hard, don't do it.

Each to their own when it comes to their playstyle, so if you prefer to run and gun go ahead. The issue with that is, however, you will get shot. A lot. Over and Over. Probably to some sniper across the map. It happens to the best of us, but if you don't learn from your mistakes it won't ever stop happening. Do your best to run next to cover in case someone starts shooting at you, and always be on edge and ready to fight. The worst thing you could do is let your guard down.

4. If you get frustrated, take a break. Seriously. This game is amazing, and for the sake of your mental health and enjoyment of the game, take a break when you get pissed. Things happen, and all you can do is learn from your mistakes. I've noticed when i get tilted I play very sloppily, and usually end up losing lots of things. When you start beginning to play recklessly just switch to a different game to cool down, your future self will thank you for saving the Roubles.

5. General tips

5.1 Playing with friends is a great way to learn the game, as you'll be able to survive longer (hopefully), and have someone to talk to while you play. As action packed as this game is, it has its slower moments too, and having a second person there can definitely eliminate any boredom you may have. If you don't have any friends, you can go to the EFT discord server (Just type in escapefromtarkovoffical into the join bar) and there are lots of friendly Russians there to help you out!

5.2 If you don't understand something ask around, you will never progress if you don't understand things, and thanks to google its easy to figure it out!

5.3 RAGMAN CLOTHING IS OP. A lot of people joke around about how useless clothing is from Ragman that your PMC wears, but it is actually incredibly important. When playing with friends you will often hesitate to shoot people due to them possibly being your teammate, which can get you killed. Armbands do exist, but you lose them when you die and they aren't always visible. A good pair of adidas pants however, visible from all sides, stylish, and easy to identify.

Thanks for reading, good luck! ^^

Edited by Tru_Fallen
  • Like 1

Saint_CRYSTAL

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write this guide for beginners. This has quite a few things I'd like to have known when I first bought the game. 😁

Korben-

Cheers for the guide. Appreciated

xarich

One of the things that I think helped me was to essentially forget everything I had learned in other FPS games. Save for maybe some similarities with ARMA III, EFT really stands alone in terms of gameplay and what playstyles "work".

I feel like I could have saved myself a lot of useless deaths if I had stopped trying to apply things I learned in Counter Strike and CoD to this game. 

b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2