Zeno000

new player here: the first 10-20 hours of the game late into the wipe is masochism and zero fun.

Zeno000

Discouraged new player here.

First of all the idea of the game is great and I think gameplay, intensity of the fights and overall experience is amazing for a geared player. But for a new player it is simply unplayable unless I want to grind and completely forget about having fun for the hours 3-20 hours. (First 3 are fun because you're new) I don't know how you expect this game to attract new players when it goes live and wipes stop.

TLDR: If you join late wipe, every PMC fight is a boss fight. Even if I win, I am not allowed to buy useful ammo for his gun anyway. oh and also will get 50% more recoil on it due to recoil skill compared to him. Killing scavs and ratting for 25 hours is not fun.

Engagements:

As a new player, ignoring all the engagements where PMCs outplay me due to their experience and their skill, I can only win 1/10 of equal engagements with PMCs(I'm not shroud just a guy with average aim) and 50/50 on ones where I get the jump on them since if I miss the initial headshot(hope for rare no face shield) my bullets will not do damage to him. Forget about those extremely intense and amazing firefights you see on videos. You have no chance unless you ambush so you just run away.

Ammo:

My ammo is useless. It takes me 6-10 shots to kill him while he kills me in 2-3 to the body. Ok let's say I actually killed him. What happens? I get his loot, his decked out m4. I am happy. Well that lasts for 10 minutes because I realize I am not allowed to buy any useful ammo for it till I grind more levels. It's not even that they are extremely expensive for a new player to get(which I would be ok with), I literally am not allowed to get them. So that fully decked out m4 is useless against PMCs.

Recoil:

Don't forget that the guy late in the wipe has no recoil on his gun because of the recoil skill. He just needs to point the gun at you and spray. You, the new player, on the other hand, shoot all over the place. Let's say, you got a lucky kill and got a fully recoil compensated m4? Well your opponent has the same recoil on a stock ak due to the recoil skill.

Scav Runs:

Scav runs were enjoyable in the beginning till I realized I get no xp nor skills from them. Half of my playtime(actually more due to PMC spawning early and dying to other PMCs) will be spent grinding without getting any xp. Apparently game will actually be fun at level 10 but I can't get there playing as scav. So half of the time spent in game doesn't really help since money is pointless till I hit 10.

Getting xp and actual gameplay:

Scav runs don't give xp so you have to go as PMC. Knowing that you will not win any engagement with PMCs, all you do is just hide around, rat areas with subpar loot and sprint other way when you see a PMC. You're supposed to do that for 20 hours till you hit level 10 in addition to the 20 hours of scav runs you need to do to pay for your horrible gear. For a few hours of this, there is some occasional nice gear you get, and actually feel like playing the game but you lose that after a few raids and go back to the shitty experience that is tarkov late wipe early game.

Quests:

They say you should do quests to level up. ok. sounds good. What do the quests want? "Go to the hot zone where geared players are and recover something" that's pretty much it. The 2nd quest sends you to the dorms, next quests sends you to the factory hot zone. Who is there? geared players, you have no chance nor fun unless you enjoy trying it 5 times + the needed scav runs to pay for it.

I am a new player that started the game 2 weeks ago and had around 10 hours with the game. Incredible game for players above level 10. It's just so so frustrating that this grind till actual game starts is so extreme. Wish I could play the actual game instead of doing constant scav runs and rat runs with my no gear PMC where there is no suspense. Very sad because this is the exact game I've been looking for. But simply not possible to not get sick of this in 10 hours. I am level 7 and there is no way I go through the same till I hit 10. Honestly, I decided to stop once I watched a stream and saw the 0 recoil ak spray of the streamer. and then I realized it is not even because of his gear but his recoil skill. Unfortunately, I had to stop playing the game. I'll have to join next wipe.

To add: I am ok with some unfairness. For instance, I would have been ok if I was allowed to buy ammo albeit at extremely expensive prices for a beginner to give some point to scav runs. Like 5 scav runs at least to buy ammo for that m4 I received from my kill. But their only use is to give my PMC enough money to buy useless ammo and subpar armor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 4

Cobain1234

Yes.

We know.

Trust me, everyone knows.

The new player experience is complete crap.

Just play 200 hours and while you do it stop caring about dying and losing and stuff.

Either that or quit like most of the new players.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

stant0s

It's a grind for sure. It doesn't help when you seemingly deserve a kill but are then denied due to <insert out of your control issue here>. It's frustrating at best, rage inducing at worst. I ended up dragging a friend along for the ride, and we rarely get more than two good runs in an evening. Only just unlocked decent ammo, and gun parts. I'm trying to stick to one build of a gun and get used to it. Grab a buddy and run with them. If you're EU, I'll happily have a game with you. 

• Like 1

BanditMaka

Most of us started like this. It's as hard as it's ever gonna be for you, but it's also the best learning experience possible.

Don't take it too seriously. Play to learn, so you are ready for when wipe eventually hits, you'll be warmed up to go fresh, while most players are still rusty after a break.

You can't really asses to game at this point because if it was remotely balanced around you now what challenge would there be later.

Edited by BanditMaka

korkk

it really dosent get much better headshots nades and getting ganged up on by squads is the norm in eft

the most fun ive had playing eft was in the first 2 weeks of this wipe when lots of people were running around with garbage guns and pistols now days if i dont insta headshot a guy in my first shot or 2 he will hs me dosent matter what headgear im wearing face shields do literally nothing

Mad_Dog8762

Its all because the broken health/armor mechanics

Run into someone with armor?

If you dont have meta ammo, its nearly impossible to kill them

They will ignore your bullets, rush you, and hose you down with whatever Meta weapon

No matter how many times you hit them

syntaxxl

That's the tarkov experience. It's meant to be punishing and hardcore.  Everyone went through this.

• Sad 8
  • Upvote 4

tobiassolem

Escape From Tarkov is meant to be a quite difficult game. By design.

However, some consideration need still be paid to the feedback from the community. Here are the key points:

• There are extremely many obstacles for a new player, and nearly no in-game aids along the way to alleviate them
  • As the game progresses, and one becomes experienced - the obstacles do not increase, but indeed decrease

This is the paradox of the game and why many new players give up, and oppositely why many old players give up as well. The challenge of the game at the later stages lead to many veterans asking for a "wipe already" - so they can resume their climb.

The game becomes so easy to climb to some, that they WANT to be knocked down. Even to the point where they will invent ways that slow their ascent.

We have to of course pay attention to the fact that the game is still in development, and many things from the design documents are yet to be implemented. And thus some of the lingering issues may be resolved. With this said though, the more the game is tested - the more this issue prevails. Perhaps some of the many proposed suggestions could be implemented sooner rather than later?

This very issue from the community is something the devs are aware of. And the goal is of course to keep the game difficult. With this said, I think the paradox will be addressed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

jockmcplop

Yeah I joined late this wipe too and have had the same experience.

The only thing that helped me in the end is playing it as a stealth game, like Splinter Cell. Stay the duck away from fights with PMCs, if they engage find a way out, loot whatever you can unseen and get used to fighting scavs without letting them get shots off.

The other thing that I found to be helpful was remembering where scavs spawn and sitting somewhere miles away safely watching for tiny movements in scav areas, just to get used to spotting people hiding.

Also if you hear more than one person running around, its probably a squad. Get the hell out of there safely. Learning to disengage from unfavourable fights is really important.

Edited by jockmcplop
  • Like 3

Zeno000
25 minutes ago, tobiassolem said:

However, some consideration need still be paid to the feedback from the community. Here are the key points:

• There are extremely many obstacles for a new player, and nearly no in-game aids along the way to alleviate them
  • As the game progresses, and one becomes experienced - the obstacles do not increase, but indeed decrease

This is the paradox of the game and why many new players give up, and oppositely why many old players give up as well. The challenge of the game at the later stages lead to many veterans asking for a "wipe already" - so they can resume their climb.

The game becomes so easy to climb to some, that they WANT to be knocked down. Even to the point where they will invent ways that slow their ascent.

We have to of course pay attention to the fact that the game is still in development, and many things from the design documents are yet to be implemented. And thus some of the lingering issues may be resolved. With this said though, the more the game is tested - the more this issue prevails. Perhaps some of the many proposed suggestions could be implemented sooner rather than later?

This very issue from the community is something the devs are aware of. And the goal is of course to keep the game difficult. With this said, I think the paradox will be addressed.

Appreciate the reply. Again, I think the game is great. I by no means imply that. I meant this post as feedback. I say this as someone ,who eventhough loves the game, will not be playing till the next wipe and if no wipes again probably never.

The problem with early game is that I think there is no reward. It's not that it is difficult, it's just not rewarding. Difficulty is fine.

For instance, I grind on my scav runs. I make some money on it. ok, great. But I can't really use it on anything exciting. All I can do is a mosin or an sks with PS for the first 20 hours of the game. anything else is utterly useless.

I kill a geared player, his gun? well I can't buy ammo for it. so why even bother?

Why make money on a scav run? so you can buy another sks with PS ammo? how rewarding.

Ok so you saw a PMC, you've been following him, you outplayed him and now you got your chance to shoot him. If he has a face mask, you have 10% chance of killing him, if he doesn't then you have to 1 tap him or you will die. Since bodyshots do nothing I have something like a 25% chance of killing him why bother?

If my gun is an sks with PS, why should I care if I die? Where is the intensity when there is no difference between a scav run and PMC run besides med bills?

Intense firefights? what are those? if you're seen you run away to the other side of the map since you have no chance of winning an equal engagement. You won't experience a good firefight till many hours into the game.

This goes on till 10. After that your grind has actual rewards. You can actually build up a serviceable kit to have a chance.

Edited by Zeno000
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Musashii89
4 hours ago, tobiassolem said:

So stop trying to balance around economies and balance solely on combat?
You have been called out before for clamping down on real money transactions but actually hurting your players. Seems obvious none of you are passionate about this game, otherwise someone would be leading it in a specific direction, as opposed to ad-hoc reactive changes.

To the OP (if you still play) this game is infamously considered to make you feel like you've been kicked in the nuts.

Put this game on the shelf for 6mths, see if devs get it together and figure out what they are trying to make.

• Like 1

DukeLander

I don't get this ammo restriction for new/low level players.

It's suppose to be all available for everyone at start.

I mean, you run as scav, you got some shitty crap which you can sell only to dealers=small cash, at least allow people to buy decent ammo, they can't anyway buy a lot of them + skills are real low, even shooting with better ammo  is problem.

You walk in a store, nobody ask you what life level have you, only do you have money :)

S5_Mr_Wiggle
58 minutes ago, DukeLander said:

I don't get this ammo restriction for new/low level players.

It's suppose to be all available for everyone at start.

I mean, you run as scav, you got some shitty crap which you can sell only to dealers=small cash, at least allow people to buy decent ammo, they can't anyway buy a lot of them + skills are real low, even shooting with better ammo  is problem.

You walk in a store, nobody ask you what life level have you, only do you have money :)

i can see trader levels getting better discounts because you have proven yourself to be a repeat customer and are willing to do  dangerous odd jobs that need done.

Abhinatha
8 hours ago, Cobain1234 said:

Yes.

We know.

Trust me, everyone knows.

The new player experience is complete crap.

Just play 200 hours and while you do it stop caring about dying and losing and stuff.

Either that or quit like most of the new players.

Once you push past this point you will be fine. Plus , at level 10,  just do scav runs and sell items on the newly opened flea market.

7 hours ago, Zeno000 said:

Appreciate the reply. Again, I think the game is great. I by no means imply that. I meant this post as feedback. I say this as someone ,who eventhough loves the game, will not be playing till the next wipe and if no wipes again probably never.

The problem with early game is that I think there is no reward. It's not that it is difficult, it's just not rewarding. Difficulty is fine.

For instance, I grind on my scav runs. I make some money on it. ok, great. But I can't really use it on anything exciting. All I can do is a mosin or an sks with PS for the first 20 hours of the game. anything else is utterly useless.

I kill a geared player, his gun? well I can't buy ammo for it. so why even bother?

Why make money on a scav run? so you can buy another sks with PS ammo? how rewarding.

Ok so you saw a PMC, you've been following him, you outplayed him and now you got your chance to shoot him. If he has a face mask, you have 10% chance of killing him, if he doesn't then you have to 1 tap him or you will die. Since bodyshots do nothing I have something like a 25% chance of killing him why bother?

If my gun is an sks with PS, why should I care if I die? Where is the intensity when there is no difference between a scav run and PMC run besides med bills?

Intense firefights? what are those? if you're seen you run away to the other side of the map since you have no chance of winning an equal engagement. You won't experience a good firefight till many hours into the game.

This goes on till 10. After that your grind has actual rewards. You can actually build up a serviceable kit to have a chance.

Bro... early game after a wipe is the worst for new players. All the chads doing the low level quests and roaming places other than labs.

sutex

9 hours ago, syntaxxl said:

That's the tarkov experience. It's meant to be punishing and hardcore.  Everyone went through this.

^NOT TRUE^, for those who start race off, at the beginning of a wipe.

The only way to 'win' at Tarkvo in its current form is to be at the starting gate at the beginning of a wipe, which will kill this game. For anyone new and joining after the start of the RACE wipe, will always be at a disadvantage.

Match making is needed, and those who don't want MM have already raced ahead and don't want a real challenge, playing against others at their Level, K/D and Survival level.

https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/136432-no-wipe/?do=findComment&comment=1814018

Edited by sutex

chrisragnar
2 hours ago, sutex said:

The only way to 'win' at Tarkvo in its current form is to be at the starting gate at the beginning of a wipe, which will kill this game. For anyone new and joining after the start of the RACE wipe, will always be at a disadvantage.

Match making is needed, and those who don't want MM have already raced ahead and don't want a real challenge, playing against others at their Level, K/D and Survival level.

https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/136432-no-wipe/?do=findComment&comment=1814018

This is not true. I'm still running raids with vpo and scav vest now and then. As late as yesterday I went in with that loadout and exited with 6k xp. 2 pmc kills, killed sanitar, one guard, bunch of scavs.

BrettB

If you play the game for fun, just play as scav as I do. Its just as fun as PMC cause the game is the same. Its not running on a different engine or in a different time zone. Its the same.

If leveling your guy is important, (Sounds like it is) then you have to grind. No other way around it.

12 months ago it was fun for PMC also, but now the gap between levels and gear is too great. Rich get richer and poorer get poorer.... coincidence the game was made is communist Russia?? maybe.

Just scav it bro, its fun, like the game used to be. 

Eisenwanst

Or play your pmc like a scav. Wait in a bush for the first ten minutes and let the pmc's kill each other. 

I am the shittiest player of all time. I barely kill a pmc. But i have my 20 Millions in my stash. Thats not much, but i dont have to worry about gear and ammo. I prefer shoreline in this time of the wipe. Most of the time anyone run to the resort. Playerscavs too. I think, they want grab some gear from dead pmcs. The groundstashes ar mostly all unlooted and you barely see a player on my route. I run away from the spawn, hide in a bush, wait ten minute, maybe kill a player running to resort, let squads be squads, then i go to the weatherstation, loot the tresor, looking for tetriz, kill 1 to 3 scavs, run to the busterminal, kill the three scavs there, loot the therminal, then i decide if i want to go to the cottages and getting the tresors, (2 to 5 scavs there, but probably some risk) or if i should loot the groundstashes in the swampvillage. 

Everyone will have a SR about 50% with this playstile on shoreline. And you will make 200 k per raid. And when you hit level 10, you will have enough money to buy good gear from the flea and upgrade your hideout.

Its not everything bad about this time of the wipe. There are areas around every map, except factory and labs who are chadfree most time. Nobody cares about groundstashes and scavs, everyone runs for pvp and ledxs. If you start on a fresh wipe, you barely find loot, every dead scav is naked, all pmcs running for the same questspots and after one day, the sweatys run with altyns, fort and meta m4s. 

All newbies looking for a wipe, but i didnt play for two weeks after this wipe. And i startet last midwipe with tarkov. And i made it too.

If i can do this, everyone can. Just hang in there.

syntaxxl
6 hours ago, sutex said:

Matchmaking is not needed. And nikita already confirmed that. If you get a player that has been playing for atleast 1 wipe, he will know how to walk around and do his quests.  I've been running PS ammo this whole wipe and didn't had any trouble.

This game is knowledge-based, that's why you always see new players suffering at the start of the wipe. It's normal to die when you are new, not only in Tarkov but at any game, ever.

Tarkov is not supposed to be holding your hand, it has been explained THOUSANDS of times. Good day!

Edit: This is how I see it. I agree that it has a problem with the new players dying more than they should, but that's how I learned the game, and if I did learn the game, believe me, anyone can 😄

Have a good day.

While we are at it, please, if you have any problems remember to ask for a Sherpa or join sherpa hub (NA). We are here to help you, with anything. Quests, map explanations,  questions about the game, etc.

Edited by syntaxxl

Cobain1234
vor 3 Stunden schrieb syntaxxl:

While we are at it, please, if you have any problems remember to ask for a Sherpa or join sherpa hub (NA). We are here to help you, with anything. Quests, map explanations,  questions about the game, etc.

Dude, if a sherpa is needed for a new player to not quit the game, there OBVIOUSLY is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the game.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

davidj123456
6 minutes ago, Cobain1234 said:

Dude, if a sherpa is needed for a new player to not quit the game, there OBVIOUSLY is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the game.

Games like DayZ, SCUM, Rust, etc also offer literally no help and advice to new players. Those games can at times be equally brutal, just not as often.

• Upvote 1

Cobain1234
vor 5 Minuten schrieb davidj123456:

Games like DayZ, SCUM, Rust, etc also offer literally no help and advice to new players. Those games can at times be equally brutal, just not as often.

And?

davidj123456
4 minutes ago, Cobain1234 said:

And?

Is something wrong with those games? They all have a dedicated and stable player-base.

Edited by davidj123456

Cobain1234
Gerade eben schrieb davidj123456:

Is something wrong with those games? They all have a dedicated and stable player-base.

Yes, a lot, thats why we arent playing those games but Escape from Tarkov.

davidj123456
1 minute ago, Cobain1234 said:

Yes, a lot, thats why we arent playing those games but Escape from Tarkov.

Plenty of people have hundreds of hours in those games. Plenty of people still manage to learn how the game works and how to play it.
Why can't they do that in EFT too?

I agree that EFT should add some sort of tutorial to the game, but they should never spoon-feed you information.

Edited by davidj123456