Sign in to follow this  
Rockham

Beginner's Tips and Tricks

Rockham

1. Call-outs and situational awareness:

A.All call-outs should be kept short, but descriptive.
            i.“over by that tree” this is not helpful or descriptive, especially when on maps such as woods, shoreline, or in any part of a map dense with trees.
            ii.“behind a tree, forward left of my position”. This is short, descriptive, but only really useful if all team members know your exact location.
            iii.“ridgeline, far side of (insert POI), left to right” this is a generally acceptable call-out. It gives both a point of interest as reference, which side of that POI the target is CURRENTLY at. And to what direction hey are progressing.
     B. Situations change rapidly in Tarkov, and a “go with the flow” mentality will only harm you in the end. There is a lot of information to process and remember, but it can be done.(edited)

i.I often hear this call out, “who’s shooting?! Who’s shooting?!” when you hear a gunshot, or series of gunshots, who the shooter is, where, and at whom the shots were fired, can be deduced by asking yourself a few simple questions.
           1. How far away was the shot sound?
           2. Are all my teammates nearby?
           3. Were there any call-outs about contact?
           4. Was there a snap, whine, thunk, or any other identifying sound after the shot, that would tell me the shot was in my direction?
      ii. Different situations required certain concrete understandings to be in place in order for that situation to work to your advantage.
      iii. Let’s go over a few different understandings(edited)

1. Point man. If you have elected to progress up a staircase, or into a room, before any of your teammates, you have elected yourself to be the first responder to contact. When entering a rom, immediately clear the doorway, as this                                                                                         will become the main avenue for supporting fire from your team.
            2. Second man. The job of the second man is to push the threat, once engaged and identified by the Point Man. The second man does not fire past the Point Man until that person has cleared the way and taken cover/firing position.
                  A. I have been engaged on a stairway and killed by a teammate from behind as I sought to take cover on the right side of the stairway.
                  B. Be aware of the available cover for the point man and wait for them to move to that cover.
            3. Anchoring Pair. In a 5-man squad, the 3rd and 4th members progressing into a building, room, or stairway, have the responsibility to clear and hold the exit for the Point Man and Second Man once they become engaged.(edited)

A. Nothing kills squads faster than clogging a doorway/stairwell/ or hallway.
                  B. The anchoring pair only engages as necessary when the opportunity allows. Until then they remain passive and watch for any flanking threats or new situations.
                  C. When the point man and second man retreat, the anchoring pair become the Point man and Second man.
            4. Vanguard. The Vanguard is the designated risk taker/ flanker/ and suppressor.
                  A. Not all situations call for risks outside the norm.
                  B. But the vanguard should be aware of all situations where he/she might make a move to flank, take a risk, or suppress the contact from a different angle.
                  C. The Vanguard often has the most freedom of movement, as the last in line for a group, the vanguard can easily break away from a bad engagement and take up a position of covering fire for a retreating team, or disengage                                                                                               and reengage from another, more advantageous, position.(edited)

2.    Communications and chatter.
                  a. Its normal and accepted to ask ONCE during a fight, “can you ditch my gear?” but beyond that, you are endangering your team and being a nuisance.
                  b. Wait until the battle has ended to request for your gear to be hidden again.
                  c. When someone calls for “Comms!” this is an indicator that that person needs to be able to hear, or make call-outs regarding a threat/potential threat. You should stop speaking immediately, you can finish your joke later. It probably wasn’t that funny anyhow.
                  d. IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SQUAD IN RAID, BUT YOU WISH TO SAY SOMETHING TO SOMEONE WHO ALSO ISN’T IN RAID AS PART OF THE SQUAD. SEE YOURSELF OUT OF THE CHANNEL FIRST.
                  e. Be respectful of those in raid.(edited)

3.    Conduct and handling mistakes.
                  a. Kind of an off-topic moment here.
                  b. If someone slips up and Hot Mics, or forgets to mute their discord while talking to their chat in stream. Don’t be a whiney 4-year old. Ask them to mute their mic and continue on with life.
                  c. Often a simple call-out, “hey you’re hot Mic-ing” will suffice.(edited)

4. Gun Build, Ammo, and Shooting Methods.
                  a. Recoil. For the average player, a reduced recoil build is all that is necessary in order for them to keep rounds on target.
                  b. Due to the advanced modification system in Tarkov, and the effect of streamers/YouTubers. Many think that modding EVERY possible part of a weapon makes it GOD tier. But prior to my clearing of my inventory, my cases were full of such guns, taken from dead PMC’s who were dropped by a stock AK-74N                        with a CQB muzzle device.
                  c. Ammunition is vital in this game. If you don’t understand your ammo choices, you are placing yourself at a severe disadvantage.
    i. When selecting ammo types. Consider the possible types of armor you MAY run into during your run.
    ii. Often, a mid range round will suffice when engaging PMC’s and Scavs. This will also help you not break the bank.
    iii. Find a reliable Ammo Guide that is up to date and keep it handy. I reference an ammo guide constantly.
                  d. Shooting at the right places, and at the right times is critical. If I am 5-15 meters from a threat, and the threat is in the open. I’m going to attempt a thorax and face shot.
                  e. When engaging an enemy at range when you have the element of surprise, shoot their legs first and then their body. This will often buy you a few extra seconds of clear target picture.
                  f. When engaging at Medium range, short bursts or single fire, are your best options for sustained and accurate fire.(edited)

5. Armor and Gear.
                  a. HELMETS RARELY MATTER. A face shield can sturdy helmet can save your life. In my experience, I have been saved by an FS and Helmet at a ratio of 1-20 engagements. This is a very optimistic ratio…….
                  b. Often, the difference between tiers of armor is as simple as how many rounds of the same ammo it can take before being zero’d, or the type of ammo than can pierce the armor.
                       i. In example SP-5 ammo for the VSS/AS VAL has an 80-85.7% chance to pen class 4-5 armor. But 0-8% chance to pen class 6.
            c. Download the Battle Buddy app for IOS and Android, by Veritas INC.
                       i. This app allows you to run simulations of any type of ammo vs every type of armor in Tarkov.
            d. A Large BP isn’t always key to your survival. One of my proudest moments is when engaging a squad of 3 on woods, I tossed my BP in a bush and laid down in the grass as they ran by looking for me. If I’d had my Beta 2 on, they would have seen it sticking up above the grass. Instead I was able to then move to                hard cover   and drop 2 before repositioning and dropping the third.
 6. Looting, and Scooting.
            a. We’ve all heard the term “Loot and Scoot”. But we rarely realize the potential of that term.
            b. When attempting to acquire loot that is in the open, scoot your gear into a bush or behind cover. Then quickly grab the loot and retreat to cover.
                       i. This can be easily done by tossing all your gear into your BP and all theirs into their BP
            c. PRIORITISE AND DON’T HESITATE!

Sign in to follow this  

b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2