etra_kurdaj

Talking with a team on discord/voip is cheating. Change my mind.

DukeLander

I have tried several times with unknown people , I went with some shitty gear and every time I got killed in head from behind on first looting.

But it's logical, because we have no penalties for that, no voip, no report or blacklist/ignore list... of course people do that, what's stopping them, some moral barrier? Cmon...

CheesyOranges

I must be dreaming or anything but isn't the ducking trailer of the game contain 3 BEARS moving as a team? This game is centered around using 'tactics' and I'm not saying if it isn't used but its meant to be a team based shooter... everyone has played in a group and the only people with amazing comms in a group are like 0.1% of the community. When you play in a group you lose the reaction time advantage as you have to determine if the person is friendly or enemy where as when you are running solo you just gun down whoever you see. IMO and even most of the communities' opinion is that the cons and pros level out, yeah there will always be a slight advantage to a team but there is still an option to run as a solo player when taking groups out, DON'T RUN AND TRY TO GUN THEM DOWN AND COMPLAIN HOW YOU DIDN'T WIN A FIGHT 1vs4 like cmon man...

tobiassolem
On 9/14/2020 at 9:06 PM, etra_kurdaj said:

VOIP allows teams to act in ways impossible with just the base game:

* communicate after death

* coordinate movement and actions across distances that cannot be heard with the base voice commands

* provide feedback and guidance essentially out-of-raid

When you need to alt-tab and adjust your settings on software that impacts your gameplay, that is not a part of the game you're playing, you're cheating.

In accordance to your own criteria for cheating, technically, you are correct. You are sharing information that you shouldn't be able to. Someone who gets shot in a raid, can in some cases tell his friends where whoever shot him was. This is not realistic, naturally - and probably "another example of why EFT isn't pursuing realism". However realistically eg. banning people for using Discord to communicate/and or coordinate with each other is... <prepare to be shocked> never going to happen.

But there are extreme limits to what information you can share with your team mates, you will only ever be able to divulge information that occured prior to your death, information that you were able to share, regardless of whether you died - prior to your death. For example: "There's a guy running towards the island on top of the boat, he's shooting me... I'm dead".

As for the fact that this information was not shared via an in-game comms-system, this is just established culture of all games. Even in ultra-realistic games, like Red Orchestra, people were using Discord. There has not been one game in the history of multiplayer games that "ban" or otherwise punish people for using out of game comms. This includes Monopoly.

There are many parts of gaming in general that requires the player to "suspend disbelief", meaning - we accept a lot of things as gameisms simply because of the very fact that all participants understand that we are playing a game. Games are not reality. They can attempt to be realistic or immersive, they can even try to simulate how reality functions via complex mechanics. But there is no such thing as a game that also is a perfect copy of what that game pretends to be. Game and reality are opposing dimensions. The moment the game stops, reality resumes (and vice-versa).

Philosophically we could always debate this, some sociologists claim for example that life is indeed a game, and that we are all "playing" parts. Georg Simmel for example claims that mankind are always wearing different masks in a theatric rendition of life. Where essentially everything we think of as "reality" is merely make-belief. A stage act. There's a certain charm in thinking about these aspects, and without a doubt one might be tempted to drawing similar comparisons to this very debate.

Are you pretending to be someone critical of the realistic aspects of the game, whilst leaving the realm of realism in an act pretending to be a character, quite similar to yourself - but in this moment, acting according to the tradition of rhetoric taught during your developing years. Your script set.

I won't digress further on this little side note, but instead land at some final conclusions:

• Out of game voice-interactions will always be accepted
  • Being able to reveal information about what occured in the game prior to death, via these channels will always be accepted
  • What is accepted behaviour by the developers of the game, and thus not in violation of the rules will always be accepted
  • None of the above is actually cheating - because of, the above fact

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ShiroTenshi
54 minutes ago, DissAbledGamer said:

All the people saying make your own team, think about this. There is a que system already that allows for a player to look for other players. The problem with this system is 9 time sout of 10 you will get griefed, especially if you have good gear. 

This is working as intended, but it is missing the Karma system. Group up with those who you trust until the Karma system is added, but even then there will not be any sort of punishment for team killing outside of the Karma system. The ability to betray your team mates and get their loot is also intended. That is why trust is so important when choosing who you team up with, and teaming up with strangers is not advised.

What kind of PvP are you going to implement? Can I kill a moronically spray-and-praying partner?

Yes indeed! You can kill everyone, no block on friendly fire. You can even ambush your partners at the exit and wipe them all out for loot. However, there will be a karma system in the game, so it’s best to exercise restraint with that.

Source: 

etra_kurdaj

I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful responses from the developers, who addressed my concerns head-on.

I am also disappointed that a game that caters to a niche hardcore audience is also content to disadvantage solo players. 

WarTraveller

Preface - TL/DR, apologies if someone had already stated that.

I think what OP is trying to express somewhat poorly, is that the reasons many people come up with against VoIP, kill cam and replays, are moot - as just talking to your team over discord accomplishes the same thing in various degrees. Hence - no reason to not have (intelligently implemented) killcam/replays/VoIP.

traumacode

I only play with mimes, problem solved.

Saint_Ajora

Technically you are right. Using an outside program to give an advantage is "cheating." Like radar and ESP hacks; here is just no real way to avoid it.1 What's to stop people from actually calling each other via their phones?

I think it's just best to embrace it and suspect everyone is a part of a team. Use your last known position as bait for the other team mates. Has worked for me in the past. This is a great example of choosing your battles bruv. I like how you think; you just need to point it at a different issue IMO.

Just because Tarkov has it's own Discord server doesn't mean it's not "cheating" to the spirit of the game.

1 The only way This could be avoided is to basically to give Tarkov complete control of your rig while you are playing. For obvious reasons this is NEVER going to happen. As much as I'd love a comms system (like actual radio comms) in Tarkov, it won't ever happen and would be a waste of dev time and BSG money because Discord and the like exists.

GeneralBrus

Welcome to video games, communication after death is the one thing u will never be able to ban, even if tarkov blocks discord you could still call your buddy's on the phone...