Sign in to follow this  
TensedTatterTot

Why this game is failing...

TensedTatterTot

So a lot of people are getting frustrated with this game. Initially I assumed this was down to the players being too new, but as I have improved and my consistency has increased I have seen glaring issues almost every raid. 

So Tarkov is an FPS. Does it do this well? Well, no. It doesn't.

1. Hit reg is inconsistent - 2/3 raids I will look at the after raid stats and there are shots not counted. Sometimes it loses me the fight, others I just die slightly sooner than I probably would have. This is the no.1 most important thing for an FPS to get right and as a foundation the fact that it is still poo does not give me much hope for the future of this game.

2. Ammo & armour -  If you're going to have different armour and ammo in the game there are a few things to consider. Do we need this many types of ammo for this round size? Will people use the worst ammo's? Will this variety thus clutter our game? Does armour work and if not, why not? Many of us have been one tapped through the thorax whilst wearing  lv.6 armour, with LPS GZH. Yet have shot unarmoured scavs in the chest with this round and it takes two shots to down them. Inconsistency with the bullet damage is common and ridiculous, this appears to be an issue aside from hit reg. Another staple for an FPS to get right and Tarkov is failing at that.

3. AI - My biggest pet peeve even above the hit reg and ammo is the AI. Spotting you through dense foliage and lasering on your head. Taking you out at medium range with  a headshot from a TOZ, when headshots to un-helmeted scavs at the same range do not kill with that weapon is cheap. Creating AI that essentially cheats does not make the game hardcore. It cheapens the players experience.

Is Tarkov  realistic?

No surprise to players who have been here a while, but no it isn't. I would recommend changing your website 'About' section as you are misleading new customers. Other than the AI issue mentioned above, I don't mind the 'realism' level of the game at the minute (as a sort of pseudo-survial-COD), just don'tmislead new customers.

Performance issues & start times

1.  De-sync - still a problem, I hope it wont always be. 

2. Memory leak/stutters/optimisation? - FPS is too low, even on lowest settings for people with reasonably 'modern' cards.  Whilst I understand this optimisation issue normally get dealt with nearer the end of development (or periodically during), the stuttering has gotten worse again with the most recent patch. I am running 16GB or ram and still get stutters.

3. Lag - Fairly common on the european servers (unsure globally), rubber banding of the AI and PMCs. Many times have fired at people who have rubber banded away and thus my bullets did not connect. 

4 Ping cap - whilst I admit to not knowing much about ping other than basic layman knowledge, I cannot play with friends in America due to the ping caps. Yet with EVERY OTHER GAME we can play together no problem and there is no real advantage gained from elevated ping.

Is it Hardcore?

Well yes, and no. Whilst the gameplay mechanics are hardcore (perma-loss of loot, low TTK etc), I would argue that the way the game runs and the issues stated above already make for a particularly frustrating experience that stops the game being hardcore. I haven't had a tense moment in this game for months. Primarily because the bugs, server issues, AI issues etc. means that I could do everything right and die to BS. When I mess up or die to a more skilled player or bad luck, I enjoy the experience. Perhaps I am odd, but I love being outplayed. However, if one of the issues mentioned already causes your death, even if it is a fight you may still have lost, that isn't satisfying. Or hardcore. 

TL;DR - Whilst being an FPS as its predominant genre, Tarkov fails to meet the basic requirements of a sound FPS. After 5 years of development, this is not promising for the future.

Any suggestions or discussion is encouraged.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Hot 2

GhostZ69

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  The "being a FPS" should have been sorted in a closed ALPHA long before ever hitting the BETA stage, much less still not being there almost 4 years and over $95,000,000 in income.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TensedTatterTot
1 hour ago, GhostZ69 said:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  The "being a FPS" should have been sorted in a closed ALPHA long before ever hitting the BETA stage, much less still not being there almost 4 years and over $95,000,000 in income.

Is that how much they have made on this game?

GhostZ69
29 minutes ago, TensedTatterTot said:

Is that how much they have made on this game?

That is an unconfirmed number someone came up.  In some podcast or on some streamers stream Nikita said they had sold 1.5 million copies.  Some at $40 and some at $130 someone averaged it to around $95 million in revenue.  I could most definitely be wrong though, so no quotes.  LoL

• Upvote 1

GeneralBrus
2 hours ago, TensedTatterTot said:

So a lot of people are getting frustrated with this game. Initially I assumed this was down to the players being too new, but as I have improved and my consistency has increased I have seen glaring issues almost every raid. 

So Tarkov is an FPS. Does it do this well? Well, no. It doesn't.

1. Hit reg is inconsistent - 2/3 raids I will look at the after raid stats and there are shots not counted. Sometimes it loses me the fight, others I just die slightly sooner than I probably would have. This is the no.1 most important thing for an FPS to get right and as a foundation the fact that it is still poo does not give me much hope for the future of this game.

2. Ammo & armour -  If you're going to have different armour and ammo in the game there are a few things to consider. Do we need this many types of ammo for this round size? Will people use the worst ammo's? Will this variety thus clutter our game? Does armour work and if not, why not? Many of us have been one tapped through the thorax whilst wearing  lv.6 armour, with LPS GZH. Yet have shot unarmoured scavs in the chest with this round and it takes two shots to down them. Inconsistency with the bullet damage is common and ridiculous, this appears to be an issue aside from hit reg. Another staple for an FPS to get right and Tarkov is failing at that.

3. AI - My biggest pet peeve even above the hit reg and ammo is the AI. Spotting you through dense foliage and lasering on your head. Taking you out at medium range with  a headshot from a TOZ, when headshots to un-helmeted scavs at the same range do not kill with that weapon is cheap. Creating AI that essentially cheats does not make the game hardcore. It cheapens the players experience.

Is Tarkov  realistic?

No surprise to players who have been here a while, but no it isn't. I would recommend changing your website 'About' section as you are misleading new customers. Other than the AI issue mentioned above, I don't mind the 'realism' level of the game at the minute (as a sort of pseudo-survial-COD), just don'tmislead new customers.

Performance issues & start times

1.  De-sync - still a problem, I hope it wont always be. 

2. Memory leak/stutters/optimisation? - FPS is too low, even on lowest settings for people with reasonably 'modern' cards.  Whilst I understand this optimisation issue normally get dealt with nearer the end of development (or periodically during), the stuttering has gotten worse again with the most recent patch. I am running 16GB or ram and still get stutters.

3. Lag - Fairly common on the european servers (unsure globally), rubber banding of the AI and PMCs. Many times have fired at people who have rubber banded away and thus my bullets did not connect. 

4 Ping cap - whilst I admit to not knowing much about ping other than basic layman knowledge, I cannot play with friends in America due to the ping caps. Yet with EVERY OTHER GAME we can play together no problem and there is no real advantage gained from elevated ping.

Is it Hardcore?

Well yes, and no. Whilst the gameplay mechanics are hardcore (perma-loss of loot, low TTK etc), I would argue that the way the game runs and the issues stated above already make for a particularly frustrating experience that stops the game being hardcore. I haven't had a tense moment in this game for months. Primarily because the bugs, server issues, AI issues etc. means that I could do everything right and die to BS. When I mess up or die to a more skilled player or bad luck, I enjoy the experience. Perhaps I am odd, but I love being outplayed. However, if one of the issues mentioned already causes your death, even if it is a fight you may still have lost, that isn't satisfying. Or hardcore. 

TL;DR - Whilst being an FPS as its predominant genre, Tarkov fails to meet the basic requirements of a sound FPS. After 5 years of development, this is not promising for the future.

Any suggestions or discussion is encouraged.

Thanks!

While i agree with lots of thing, it's obvious that the game wont fail, why do you guys keep saying that?

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

TensedTatterTot
59 minutes ago, GeneralBrus said:

While i agree with lots of thing, it's obvious that the game wont fail, why do you guys keep saying that?

Why is it obvious? It hasn't failed from a financial perspective, I'm not saying that. I think it will fail to become a game that works well. Maybe even to live up to their original ideal.

They haven't got the basics even close to sorted in 5 years. Reckon they'll do it in 7?

TensedTatterTot

I should also add sound. 

It is poo. Inconsistent in every way. Whether volume/location or sometimes no sound at all! Considering how important sound is this is also another large failure.

Luv2ruck

It has already been said that this game was only being made, as means to fund the next. They want to move on.

They have no intention of balancing the game, matchmaking on lvl, adding single player, fixing basic FPS issues, reducing ammo or armor types(in fact they intend to add more).

I could ramble for an hour straight on how this game has failed. But, the easiest arguement for me.

They have sold 1.5million plus copies. But, from looking at twitch/youtube viewership. EFT has already lost 90% ish of their playerbase, minimum. I would go as far as to say roughly 190k people or less, globally, still play this game. This number will only shrink.

I think the amount of copies they will sell from here on out, is extremely low. Which sucks.

Because everything about this game, screams thats it's the best fps available. But, the thousands of mishaps/decisions, refusal to address issues/bugs. Is completely killing the game.

This game had the potential to take over the entire gaming community. I think they could've sold 20+ million copies easily. But 18.5million potential buyers, saw the streams. Heard from friends. And now won't touch the damn game. 

ShadowGor

Been playing for over a year.. I have to agree with the ideology behind this post.

For example.

If STALKER Anomaly ever got a co-op function to even play with just 1 other friend, there would never be a reason for me to play Tarkov.

Tarkov is just way too simple. A "more realistic COD" + battle royal just ends up being shallow.. 

Why bother playing as a BEAR PMC when i shoot every other BEAR operative on sight, because he might take 1 piece of loot that i might want? It's just such a missed opportunity imo. Tarkov could have immersive contextual gameplay elements that are actually in line with the games establishing lore. 

Imagine being able to play a match, meet a random fellow PMC and work together to get through radioactive traps, locked doors, scav guard patrols that dont have aim-bot and x-ray vision, and using tools to cut/hack or repair our way into compounds or chests to complete specific missions that will help reestablish your BEAR or USEC operation centers and chain of command. Rather than shooting each other on sight because everyone has a fetch quest from a merchant.. a fetch quest ffs.

I guess thats another thing that i feel like is missing from Tarkov. Some kind of big PMC hub-hideout center where players of the same faction can walk around and talk to merchants face to face, conduct personal trades between one another, trade maps and keys or hash out upcoming mission prospects and who-wants-what with randoms wandering in the hub.

Make it so players have to build a radio in their hideout before they can gain access to the multiplayer-hub, give players a reason, and a reward, for focusing on specific loot acquisition and perfecting surviving runs, something besides another kill counter and a hideout that only I ever walk through.

Give players rolling as Scav characters the chance to have entirely new ways to play the game, buy acting as guides for PMC rollers, by increasing the number of "requires a scav to extract" features on maps. Making the extractions very easy and close by, increase the potential for people to truce with a scav player because maybe it would actually be worth it. This can create entirely new player interactions between every active player-type, ie, solo quers, group quers, BEARs and USECs that can actually tie over post-mission and have influence in the multiplayer HUB. 

I grew up on the STALKER games, and I was pretty disappoint about the scope of Tarkvo's gameplay loop.. I hope they eventually do something with it.. besides just giving grown up COD players a place to compete for the bigger e-penis k/d ratio.

• Upvote 1

ShadowGor
6 hours ago, Luv2ruck said:

It has already been said that this game was only being made, as means to fund the next. They want to move on.

They want to move on? well shiet nvm i guess.

ShawnWolf

Just wait until STALKER 2 comes out, they're going to lose a lot more of their playerbase if this game isn't in a more playable state by then. I'm still hoping that this game becomes more like what was promised back when i spent 150$ years ago

ShawnWolf

it would be nice to be able to play and enjoy this game again with my friends that also bought the EOD edition. but the hackers, the hit reg and the desyncs make the game damn near impossible to play.

Edited by ShawnWolf

DaRealMcCloud

If you are so ubset about the game status right now then wait a year and come back and see if things have changed.

I enjoy the game a lot. Its still beta and its not finished, they will add a lot of things that you were missing, just watch the last podcast.

• Like 1

ShadowGor
2 hours ago, DaRealMcCloud said:

If you are so ubset about the game status right now then wait a year and come back and see if things have changed.

I enjoy the game a lot. Its still beta and its not finished, they will add a lot of things that you were missing, just watch the last podcast.

I just don't agree with the direction they're taking. I just came back after finishing school and played my first game in 5 months. Got killed on Shoreline at 5 in the morning near an extraction, by some fully kitted, tracer + armor penetrating round using PMC player camping an extraction in the last 15 mins of a mission because the game likes to spawn me into missions at the 30 min mark. 

Like, at the very least, Hunt Showdown actually gives me 60 mins. Every single time. When there's no other people to start a new hunt with, the game just gives me my own server, and doesnt insult my time by putting me at the walf-way point through a mission I have no business being in.

They do so much to stop campers in this game, and don't even fix part of its root issue with the segmented spawn-ins on maps. I want to play 60 mins worth of Tarkov. Its the perfect amount of time for a mission in games like Hunt and Tarkov. But for some ungodly reason, EFT finds a way to put me in a match where every other player has, not only warmed up over the past 30 mins, but have already looted and found the perfect camping position to take me, and any other late-spawn player, to get sniped from a bush within 10-15 mins of being in the map... 

The games direction is just is just too shallow and nonsensical. 

GhostZ69
21 hours ago, ShadowGor said:

Rather than shooting each other on sight because everyone has a fetch quest from a merchant.. a fetch quest ffs.

These are NEXT GEN QUESTS SIR!  How dare you make a mockery of Prapor needing that pocket watch, or Skier needing those Toz shotty's.  HOW DARE YOU. 

17 hours ago, DaRealMcCloud said:

lol I love these total crap posts.  If you don't like it wait a year and come back?  Really?  I did that two years ago.  I did that last year.  If I do it this year it will just be worse than it was two years ago.  Why wait and come back just to see crap has gone down the ole' crapper even worse?  Why not stay here and champion for them to provide us with the game they promised us years ago?