donlon1982

Tarkov for new players in late wipe

donlon1982

Hi. i got tarkov a couple of weeks ago, i eyeballed it for quite some time but didnt have a PC capable of running it ok-ish, now that i do and got that game, let me tell you my experience as a new player in late wipe...( and boy is it an " experience")

First days were exciting and it was a thrill. i chose woods to derp around , just to get used to the game and 3rd party maps and all that jazz. it was not too bad,  did a lot of scav runs, then i started to use my PMC a bit more and was looking at the quests u can do. saved up around 4 mil roublonskis to have some buffer to replace backpacks, guns and so on, got shitloads of flashdrives some keycards for labs..and a looot of keys and other stuff i safe for the flea market ( well if i ever reach lvl 10..but more of that later)

So i got that prapor quest, kill 5 scavs, turn in 3 shotguns...i figured i do some scav runs to get used to customs..and boy..was it tough , the map is pretty confusing at first, esp all the different extraction points are much harder to find then on woods for example...but well i expected i to get more difficult..no biggie.

my scav survival rate wasnt that great at all but it was managebale, got some stuff out, found some unlooted fatboy players and such. but often died with the good loot ..

after a couple of scavruns i went for the PMC to do the quest..and here is where poo went downhill faster then a mud avalanche on a 90° decline.

since i cant find any of my tarkov friends whos willing to play atm, i have to figure stuff out myself, and never have backup or anyone who could save my stuff into some bush for insurance, which drained my rublonskis from my wallet pretty darn fast. ( and yes i went with cheap poo like mosins and whatnot, at some point..didnt help a bit )

My main issue is...experienced players know the map like their girlfriends pussy ( well lets be honest, the palm of their right / left hand in this case) and it seems all have maxed out armor and 0 recoil guns and the good ammo. i cant get into any firefight...i get rekt instantly and with my shite guns and shite ammo i can empty 2 clips into someones head( which is pretty tough to do wiht the recoil of doom, on single fire, or hit that 1 mosin shot or im dead  )...nothing happens..much fun.....or when i try to escape..people know shortcuts and all that...so in general..i have around 3 min loading time for customs..and live about 2 min on average. That is no fun at all..i waste 75% of my tarkov time in loading screens / sorting inventory to make room for some loot, if  i get any loot out alive at all ( remember i kept tons of stuff for the fleamarket, so my tiny stash is pretty full, as im not edge of darkness owner).

Well people might say " get good" and all the usual derpery..but how to get good..when i cant compete with gear and ammo, and im unable to get my hands on any of that..cuz im still not lvl 10, because..well PMC dies within 2 - 5 min on customs. i dont have any problem with losing stuff..im used to full loot pvp games.So i still havent finnished that first prapor quest , i got the 5 scav kills which was a pain int he ass to finnish, and i got the shotguns..but for some fun reason i couldnt turn the shotguns in , at prapor ( and yes it were the correct ones) , so i was pretty pissed..after having this masochistic pain in the ass experience in customs..for nothing..i dont even bother with trying other maps anymore, if i dont play at an obscure tiem for my eu timezone, like 3 in the morning...i get rekt all the time. i got my survival rate up to 37% doing this..but i have a life, and cant play in these obcsure times of the day everytime.

Every customs run at eu prime...insta death. i tried all the things, hiding safe for a while till area gets quiter, which leaves me with poo or no loot, and often has exit campers or some other nerds still active on the map, and i cant do a poo about them..first sight first dead..would be cool if that would apply to my poo rifles and poo ammo too..everytime i engage first cuz i saw him first and im in actually good position..its like..i start to fire..1.5 sec later im dead thx to lazer like 0 recoil automatic blappening ( its not even snipers , as everyone warned about on woods map, where i only died like 3 times to a sniper out of 100 runs or so, mostly scavruns though)

My main issue is: the gear difference between new player and vet ( and add the map knowledge on top of that, but thats to be expected i games like this). So non of my friends is playing tarkov atm everyone is like " nope im waiting for next wipe so things are fun again"...they all lvl 50 ish and dont see a point in playing right now..none of them..like literally not a single tarkov nerd i know, is willing to play with me( or playing tarkov in general right now).

I wish Battlestate would somehow communicate this on purchase of the game..like a small hint " you have to know you join into tarkov in late wipe, players will be geared and it will be incredibly difficult to pvp at all for a new player", but i guess that would hurt buisness..or have a disclaimer rigt on the landing page of their website , about wipes and what it means, in terms of item progression/gear and so on. but again..thats prolly not cool for buisness..( i wonder how many people waste money on eft, just to rqgequit because the had bad timing on purchasing in late wipe) 

today i reached the point of " nah duck that", and deinstalled after a couple of customs attempts which all ended the same as the runs before. getting rekt by players sitting in optimal spots, or chasing me down..and having ducking l5/6 armor and those lazerrifles.

this is prolly rant number gazillionthousand about this topic, but i had to vent some of my frustration here. and yes, i read a lot on how to, and what not...it doesnt help as long as theres this HUGE gear gap. most pain in the ass is the lack of good ammo fore new players without flea market access and that.and i know there will be a lot of mr.smartypants showing up and ridicule my post " git gud" " tarkov is not for everyone" and blablabla..my advice to these people is: reroll your accounts, induce some head trauma to urself in real life, so u forget the maps of tarkov..and then try ur luck in late wipe with a rerolled PMC as  turly new player..its superfun..trust me...if ur masochistic or silly enough to buy roublonskis for real money on some sketchy websites so item losses dont bother ur ingame wallet that much...  -.-

TLDR: tarkov is a game that is prolly fun for 4 months a year, right after wipes. so if i would have known, that i buy a game thats only somewhat managebale to get into as newplayer , right after serverwipe, i prolly would have subbed to some discord/reddit..til i get notification of wipe..and ONLY then i should have bought the game. because currently..nope. its masochistic.

OR implement some sort of gear based matchmaking or whatever. as of current. the game is just silly. ( and dont u dare to throw the term " hardcore" at me) it is plain and simple, silly with this kind of matchmaking...

sry for this wall of text bois.

Edited by donlon1982
  • Sad 1

TUALMASOK

Yes, it's bloody hard as a new player this late in the wipe, but you're going about it all wrong. Customs is a death trap for new players, which is why it's so frustrating that the starter tasks are based there. Shoreline and Woods are much easier on new players, so try hitting Shoreline with a few scav runs to learn the map, and then start easing your PMC in with an AKM and PS ammo. There's plenty of loot, plenty of scavs, and even a boss.

• Like 1

LeifyBeans

I am late in wipe too

it sucks but I am becoming a rat 

BrettB

The game allows you to play as Rat. Its no shame.

Rat is the way in my view. Spawn in and let the chads fight it out in the middle. Go in after and get some gear.

Keys are your friend if you need cash, and so are scav runs. This late in the wipe there are sweaty chads all over the place you can get some gear and use it or sell it.

ImDOPE

I read harry potter book instead of that thread.

Foxyprox

The fact that people don't want to play late in the wipe means this game has a problem. And wipes aren't the answer. They need to make it so that its very rare to obtain meta gear. Actually rare to obtain anything above armor lvl 4 and make attatchments harder to come by i suppose. Make it about scavenging again instead of a Milsim ARMA type game with an economy.

Viezenz

I would suggest playing offline to learn the maps. 

gkcx2002
32 minutes ago, Viezenz said:

I would suggest playing offline to learn the maps. 

That's not going to help being outgunned by players out of your league or being outnumbered by a full squad if you are a solo player. As a solo player I would suggest doing mainly scav runs. Customs isn't that bad just stay away from going into dorms and being out in the open in the construction site. You can collect quite a bit of good weapons looting scavs and looting weapon spawn locations. You can also get some decent ammo that way. Build up your money stash and slowly start doing more pmc runs. I'm level 7 and I have a full EOD stash. I built more than a half a dozen weapons worth 100k (sell to dealer prices, they would cost you a ton more if you purchased the parts) just from looting customs as a scav and have 8 million rubles as a new player playing solo. It can be done. I still get my ass kicked as a pmc if I'm not really careful. I die most of the time. I've been going in with just a pistol or some crap AK. If I run into a high level player he isn't going to get anything off me. Lots of people are going in naked these days just trying to level up their pmc killing scavs and the occasional pmc. Why risk the little gear you have when you can get lucky with a pistol. Also don't even bother with the hide out. You are going to lose everything you grinded for in the next wipe which is coming up soon. Just practice your aim and tactics this late in the wipe. 

MegaMlaticka

Offline is only good for learning the maps/loot and training against scavs...that is all.
Online is completely different game...
You can easily run around offline and not getting shot...when scavs hear you they start screaming....they do not hide/camp or have inhuman reactions neither god-like armor/gun.
They do not come to loot spoots etc...they do not camp the best spot...chase you or "gang" up on you on groups.
Offline is really only good for basic map/loot learn...that is all

BeardedQBall
17 hours ago, Foxyprox said:

The fact that people don't want to play late in the wipe means this game has a problem. And wipes aren't the answer. They need to make it so that its very rare to obtain meta gear. Actually rare to obtain anything above armor lvl 4 and make attatchments harder to come by i suppose. Make it about scavenging again instead of a Milsim ARMA type game with an economy.

Well the issue with the following is still the same. When it comes to end game... you will still have those who will have the gear, and better skills. Have to remember, you aren't invincible. This is essentially the "name of the game" if you will. 

5 hours ago, gkcx2002 said:

That's not going to help being outgunned by players out of your league or being outnumbered by a full squad if you are a solo player. As a solo player I would suggest doing mainly scav runs. Customs isn't that bad just stay away from going into dorms and being out in the open in the construction site. You can collect quite a bit of good weapons looting scavs and looting weapon spawn locations. You can also get some decent ammo that way. Build up your money stash and slowly start doing more pmc runs. I'm level 7 and I have a full EOD stash. I built more than a half a dozen weapons worth 100k (sell to dealer prices, they would cost you a ton more if you purchased the parts) just from looting customs as a scav and have 8 million rubles as a new player playing solo. It can be done. I still get my ass kicked as a pmc if I'm not really careful. I die most of the time. I've been going in with just a pistol or some crap AK. If I run into a high level player he isn't going to get anything off me. Lots of people are going in naked these days just trying to level up their pmc killing scavs and the occasional pmc. Why risk the little gear you have when you can get lucky with a pistol. Also don't even bother with the hide out. You are going to lose everything you grinded for in the next wipe which is coming up soon. Just practice your aim and tactics this late in the wipe. 

I actually don't even play my scav anymore. Haven't for awhile. I find it's easier for me to run PMC at start of map, rather than trying to survive as a scav where the holy spawn god decides to drop me. I actually made a little bit of a point with this in my 20 thoughts in 20 minutes post. One of the thoughts was having level splitting. 1-9 fight one another, 10-20, 30+ essentially or something along those lines. That would help new players get a little better handle on things. 

Defiants
On 9/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, TUALMASOK said:

Yes, it's bloody hard as a new player this late in the wipe, but you're going about it all wrong. Customs is a death trap for new players, which is why it's so frustrating that the starter tasks are based there. Shoreline and Woods are much easier on new players, so try hitting Shoreline with a few scav runs to learn the map, and then start easing your PMC in with an AKM and PS ammo. There's plenty of loot, plenty of scavs, and even a boss.

Funny, I have the exact opposite experience. I actually suggest Customs to new players, and tell them to avoid Shoreline. I still can't play Shoreline and I have 300 hours in. It's just crazy in there. I think I've only had maybe one or two successful Shoreline raids. Ever. The rest of the time involves just getting sniped out from someone and lord only knows what bush they were camped out in-- there are hundreds afterall.

I took a week long break from Shoreline because I was trying to hammer out the Scav kill quests and was just failing miserably, and my first raid back in lasted a total of 25 seconds, and that was wearing L5 armor and a good gun. That's Shoreline to me. It's the only map I actually struggle with, Woods not far behind it. There are just too many campers, and too many wide open spaces that get camped until the last five minutes of the match. In my opinion, from my experiences, if you survive Woods and Shoreline it's just by chance. There's no real skill involved. There's no strategy you're implementing. You're just lucky that someone wasn't camping the spot you ran through. Customs is fine for me, I can survive it most of the time. There are several routes that can't be camped from the same location, whereas with Woods anyways there are individual camping spots that can basically cover 60% of the map.

I think Reserve is the best map for people to learn. Good loot good PVP and lots of routes and cover to mix things up. If you run into heavies you can backtrack or go underground or whatever, you can get into firefights on Reserve. On Shoreline I literally don't get into firefights. I just die. I would guess off hand that I knew where I was shot and killed from on Shoreline maybe at best 10% of the time.

Defiants
6 hours ago, BeardedQBall said:

I actually don't even play my scav anymore. Haven't for awhile. I find it's easier for me to run PMC at start of map, rather than trying to survive as a scav where the holy spawn god decides to drop me. I actually made a little bit of a point with this in my 20 thoughts in 20 minutes post. One of the thoughts was having level splitting. 1-9 fight one another, 10-20, 30+ essentially or something along those lines. That would help new players get a little better handle on things. 

Scav runs are my bread and butter. I enjoy them and seem to have significantly better luck playing as a Scav than as a PMC. I like the random spawns and especially for say Reserve I like how there are actually multiple extracts that aren't retarded lmao. Extracting on Reserve as a PMC imo is a hassle.

I like the idea of level splitting but they've said they're never going to change the matching system apparently, which is a shame. I'm really tired of getting wrecked by level 50s lol.

I think that if they turned more of the Scav extracts into both Scav/PMC extracts it would take a lot of the edge off for average players. It would make extract camping less profitable, as they wouldn't even be guaranteed to run into someone after spending thirty minutes camping. I think a lot of the camping right now is based off of knowing where people are going to be going and like for instance Interchange, you can camp a huge portion of the outdoor area knowing 100% that people are going to be passing by it to extract.

I dunno, I don't mind dying when I actually have a chance to fire a shot but this constantly being killed by people so far away that I can't even hear the gunshot... It's just tiring. It's really demoralizing and it seems like it's the vast majority of my experiences these days.

Foxyprox
16 hours ago, BeardedQBall said:

Well the issue with the following is still the same. When it comes to end game... you will still have those who will have the gear, and better skills. Have to remember, you aren't invincible. This is essentially the "name of the game" if you will.

A streamer I watched had a pretty good idea on how to equalize it all. Its not just the fact that people with full Milsim gear are harder to kill, its also out of place in a scavenge game. Encountering players with Milsim gear should almost be like encountering a unicorn if you ask me. He was talking about having a special currency with which to buy the top tier gear. And obtaining this currency can be done through daily/weekly quests. That would also keep players coming back. That special currency could be the euro for instance. And then make it so that it takes a bit of grinding for that gear too. So that you do not get enough euros for a full set after 1 or 2 daily's already.

BeardedQBall
58 minutes ago, Foxyprox said:

A streamer I watched had a pretty good idea on how to equalize it all. Its not just the fact that people with full Milsim gear are harder to kill, its also out of place in a scavenge game. Encountering players with Milsim gear should almost be like encountering a unicorn if you ask me. He was talking about having a special currency with which to buy the top tier gear. And obtaining this currency can be done through daily/weekly quests. That would also keep players coming back. That special currency could be the euro for instance. And then make it so that it takes a bit of grinding for that gear too. So that you do not get enough euros for a full set after 1 or 2 daily's already.

I have to say personally... as far as geared players? Use the right ammunition, cover, and tactics... yea that glock17 can be pretty nasty.... Oh and I am not sure how aware people are to this but... those chads everyone run from. Shoot their legs!! They have no armor there for 1, they cant run or jump with jacked legs 2. Plus, Not to mention, slows them down enough to make them second guess or possible fall back to heal. 

Those legs are the Achilles heals for chads. Remember that and grab some good old fashion shotgun ammo and start blasting out some knees :P (i prefer the pistol myself with a flashlight hehe. Blind, then blast out legs.)

As far as the idea of weekly/dailys? Oh, ABSOLUTELY! I think it could add more to the overall feel of the game as well. Giving players reasons to play other maps ect. I could see a currency for these items but then... here is where I come and say... after reading the above... what the streamer suggested really no longer helps much when I just shot said persons legs out, and took his gear. No need for me to farm weekly/daily missions for the gear anymore. Makes me want to rat more and pick it off a body. lol

Edited by BeardedQBall
  • Like 1

DJudic

I got bored too. Waiting for the next wipe now. Moved on to some other games in the meantime. I'd be happy for a wipe, even if there is no new content. It is just that now everyone is either a hatchling or top-tier loadout. There is almost no fights around the contested areas of the early-mid game quest spots. 

BeardedQBall
Just now, DJudic said:

I got bored too. Waiting for the next wipe now. Moved on to some other games in the meantime. I'd be happy for a wipe, even if there is no new content. It is just that now everyone is either a hatchling or top-tier loadout. There is almost no fights around the contested areas of the early-mid game quest spots. 

As far as I could tell.. It seems like labs and at times customs are where the heat is. Customs due to the expansion naturally. Excited, for expansions on the maps. I stay away from wood, just meh never like the map. 

However, once the wipe happens. Everything will go back to essential even playing field... (waits 2 weeks) and continue where we left off with people complaining about top tier. 

Foxyprox
On 9/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, BeardedQBall said:

I have to say personally... as far as geared players? Use the right ammunition, cover, and tactics... yea that glock17 can be pretty nasty.... Oh and I am not sure how aware people are to this but... those chads everyone run from. Shoot their legs!! They have no armor there for 1, they cant run or jump with jacked legs 2. Plus, Not to mention, slows them down enough to make them second guess or possible fall back to heal. 

Those legs are the Achilles heals for chads. Remember that and grab some good old fashion shotgun ammo and start blasting out some knees :P (i prefer the pistol myself with a flashlight hehe. Blind, then blast out legs.)

As far as the idea of weekly/dailys? Oh, ABSOLUTELY! I think it could add more to the overall feel of the game as well. Giving players reasons to play other maps ect. I could see a currency for these items but then... here is where I come and say... after reading the above... what the streamer suggested really no longer helps much when I just shot said persons legs out, and took his gear. No need for me to farm weekly/daily missions for the gear anymore. Makes me want to rat more and pick it off a body. lol

That's kind of the point right, ratting is the way this game is supposed to be played. In fear of dying and scavenging. Chads shouldn't even really be a thing imo. This aint COD. I understand streamers play more agressive to keep the viewers from falling asleep but hey it would be cool to have some more scarcity so you actually care about losing your poo.

BeardedQBall
3 hours ago, Foxyprox said:

That's kind of the point right, ratting is the way this game is supposed to be played. In fear of dying and scavenging. Chads shouldn't even really be a thing imo. This aint COD. I understand streamers play more agressive to keep the viewers from falling asleep but hey it would be cool to have some more scarcity so you actually care about losing your poo.

EXACTLY, too many people are comparing this to CoD, and playing like it's CoD as well. When in reality, this game is not meant for that play style. While some benefit from the aggressive play style.. you have some who try to be that player, die, then complain the game isn't easy. As far as being scared to lose things. One of the biggest parts of this game is getting over that very thing... gear fear.. No point in having a half million ruble gun in your stash... and never use it for it to just go poof with the wipe.. 

xicobala

You can try running shoreline or woods. 
Dont bother with Customs yet, its one of the most violent maps.
Learn where the hidden stashed are and what items are worth it to carry back for selling.
You can make serious bank on stashes alone.
Also aim to use weapons that shoot 762 PS since its a ammo thats availible from Prapor lvl1.

Another thing is that on the current state of the game playing cautiously dosent pay off.
Try to be the agressor, the first one to peak.
You will have a better chance then

• Like 1

Clydefrosch
vor 6 Minuten schrieb xicobala:

You can try running shoreline or woods. 
Dont bother with Customs yet, its one of the most violent maps.
Learn where the hidden stashed are and what items are worth it to carry back for selling.
You can make serious bank on stashes alone.
Also aim to use weapons that shoot 762 PS since its a ammo thats availible from Prapor lvl1.

Another thing is that on the current state of the game playing cautiously dosent pay off.
Try to be the agressor, the first one to peak.
You will have a better chance then

shoreline and woods is good advice.

There aren`t that many fully geared guys on these maps.

Find buddies! Teams increase your survival rate significantly and can save your gear if you die most of the time. 

Biala_Mewa

You know what? Right now you have a little bit better situation at some point. Examples:

1. Items for your Hideout are cheap on Fle Market. I remember when at the start of the wipe Wrench was 30-40k roubles, now it's 7k roubles. I was extracting with Bulbes to upgrade my lights in Hideout. There was a quest, when you have to FOUND IN RAID 4 car batteries. You can obviously craft them in Workbench, but you need Tank Military Battery.... At early wipe it costed 700-800k roubles, now it is 200k roubles. You have cheaper items right now. 

2. Gas analyzer - now it's worthless item. It is very cheap if you want it to buy, many people are leaving these early-quest items, because they don't need them. It's easy to find them.

3. Quest places - at early wipe everybody are doing the same quests, so if you have something to do in Dorms, probably many people will go there too. I mean, of course the Dorms are crowded even now, but who is going to Dorm room 206 now (Operation Aquarius)? Or better example - Bronze Watch you have to take from truck at factory customs zone ("Checking" quest). Who is going there? 

Give this game a chance, watch and read some guides. Matchmaking is never be a thing in EFT, it's not that kind of game. UNDERSTAND thatTarkov is very unique game genre, so don't expect that everything will be THE SAME as in other games. 

Edited by BialaMewa
  • Hot 1

Biala_Mewa
On 9/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, donlon1982 said:

pvp at all for a new player

Do you know that this game is not tactical CoD, when only thing to do is PvP? I see that you are aware of your bad ammo and gear. So why are you even try to shoot other geared players? People have zero-recoil guns because they grind for them, they maxed out traders levels and this is NORMAL that you have character progression. What so weird about this for you? Tarkov has RPG elements. 

Honestly, instead of complaining on this forum you should spend those hours in offline mode to learn map, shortcuts and extract. It will help you. 

Biala_Mewa
On 9/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, donlon1982 said:

and dont u dare to throw the term " hardcore" at me

But it's true, Tarkov is meant to be hardcore game. As I said earlier - it's unique game and don't expect it will be like other games. 

Foxyprox
On 9/29/2020 at 9:12 PM, BeardedQBall said:

EXACTLY, too many people are comparing this to CoD, and playing like it's CoD as well. When in reality, this game is not meant for that play style. While some benefit from the aggressive play style.. you have some who try to be that player, die, then complain the game isn't easy. As far as being scared to lose things. One of the biggest parts of this game is getting over that very thing... gear fear.. No point in having a half million ruble gun in your stash... and never use it for it to just go poof with the wipe.. 

Well gear fear and caring about your gear aren't one and the same thing. I wouldn't have it sit in my inventory for no reason but I don't want to throw it away by playing like a chad either.