Sign in to follow this  
popej

New hardware (Ryzen 3900x) and Tarkov question

popej

Hello,

I'm about to buy a new system and will probably go for a Ryzen 3900X. However I've read some worrying things about Ryzen framerates in Tarkov. Are these concerns unfounded? If not have people had success by tweaking settings? Is it pretty smooth even if the frames are low?

Thanks

tobiassolem

Escape From Tarkov does not use multithreading effectively, but instead relies heavily on single thread performance. Generally, this is what AMD is the worst at. AMD works best for general purpose, and Intel works best for gaming.

Best single thread performing CPU right now is the i9 10900K - this is likely what will run EFT the best. However, it also depends on the clockspeed, so 10600K might be better for EFT (unsure and untested).

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

popej
17 minutes ago, tobiassolem said:

Escape From Tarkov does not use multithreading effectively, but instead relies heavily on single thread performance. Generally, this is what AMD is the worst at. AMD works best for general purpose, and Intel works best for gaming.

Best single thread performing CPU right now is the i9 10900K - this is likely what will run EFT the best. However, it also depends on the clockspeed, so 10600K might be better for EFT (unsure and untested).

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Thanks for the reply tobias and yes that's pretty much what I've heard

I'm hoping the 3900x will still have respectable performance in Tarkov though. Particularly with some tweaking and use of Process Lasso etc.

I want to go Ryzen as the new generation CPU's will be released soon (on same chipset as current gen) and it leaves my upgrade options open going forwards.

Do you use an Intel chip?

Ta

ImDOPE

Thats kinda not correct.

The game is just poorly optimisted.

AMD is pretty good for gaming when it is a normal developed game.

Edited by ImDOPE

gkcx2002

The majority of the people that have problems running games is due to using AMD hardware. Stick with Intel. I'm not an Intel fanboy just seems to be the case from the research I've done.

Maki_Nishikino

I have an i7-8700 and EFT runs fairly well though not on full blast.

DukeLander
13 hours ago, ImDOPE said:

Thats kinda not correct.

The game is just poorly optimisted.

AMD is pretty good for gaming when it is a normal developed game.

Amd fan?

Amd is good as overall perf/$.

But in gaming where is mostly single thread more important - intel wins.

Defiants

AMD is now outperforming Intel in single thread performance at almost every price point except the extremely high end.

Don't take my word for it, look at the benchmarks. You can spend an extra 50% for a minor improvement with Intel, or you can take that money and invest it in a better GPU for a much larger improvement. Ryzen is the real deal.

Used Intel for years until I got my 3800x recently and it's great. It's really tiring constantly seeing people spewing misinformation based on older AMD products. Look it up, Ryzen beats out single core performance dollar for dollar. Intel does have the best high end, but if you have a budget for your PC like 99.9% of human beings then you're going to get the best FPS to Dollar ratio using AMD. Even then, spending that extra cash on a GPU upgrade will always give you better performance. Intel really just isn't worth it right now, and one of their own engineers said it'll be another year before they're competitive with AMD again.