AI Scavs heavily tank the client´s fps

BLACKH3ARTED

I tested 3 times in offline mode and my results are always the same.

I opened Reserve map offline with pve enabled and my fps are good for the first couple of minutes but then start degrading in waves. From 90-100 I go to 70-80 within less than 5 minutes. Then after a few minutes (when the next scav spawn wave is happening) my fps keep lowering even more, and after a third wave I end up with steady 40ish fps no matter where I am or where I look.

I got gpu-z open in my second monitor to check that my gpu was mostly idle sitting around 30% usage, so it´s not lack of gpu horsepower. I could look straight at the sky, go to the underground tunnels or anywhere in the open, the fps doesn´t change at all. When enough AI scavs have spawned, my client simply cannot handle it, even if I have no one on sight, just for the fact that they are spawned somewhere in the map.

Changing settings to the lowest did not make any difference either. Settings does not matter, I tested any combination possible and it made no difference.

And to check it, I opened several times again the same Reserve map offline but with pve disabled. My fps where steady and smooth around 90-100 fps. I could run and explore the map with no issues and the game felt the way it was conceibed to be played.

So I just open this thread because I don´t know if this is a known issue for the developers or not. It´s a fact. Having many AI entities in the map tank fps at least for some people like me.

My specs:

i7 4790k stock

32 gb ram @1600 Mhz

RTX 2070 8gb vram

ssd samsung 850evo 1tb

Asus mobo z97 deluxe

PSU evga supernova 850watt 80plus gold

Windows 10 Pro

Monitor lenovo legion Y27gq-25 1440p 240 hz g-sync 27´´

And where is suggestion in this post?

Btw have you measured tempretures? I have worse graphics card than you and my FPS are 60-70 without drops

Edited by BialaMewa

11 minutes ago, BialaMewa said:

And where is suggestion in this post?

Btw have you measured tempretures? I have worse graphics card than you and my FPS are 60-70 without drops

My temps are prefectly fine. The problem is purely game related. Having many AI entities on a server harms the fps at least for some clients. I wonder if it may be independent of AI entities and just entirely based on number of total entities on the server, wether AI controlled or also human controlled, as on many games my fps become this low for no apparent reason.

If you know a better place for me to provide my feedback just throw a link in the thread.

It's probably the main reason you can't just make ai "smarter" no matter how much people cry that ai should be smarter not more hp and better accuracy. 

Also why ai don't spawn at the start of raid because the server is already taxed at that point.

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 1:58 PM, BLACKH3ARTED said:

My temps are prefectly fine. The problem is purely game related. Having many AI entities on a server harms the fps at least for some clients. I wonder if it may be independent of AI entities and just entirely based on number of total entities on the server, wether AI controlled or also human controlled, as on many games my fps become this low for no apparent reason.

If you know a better place for me to provide my feedback just throw a link in the thread.

Yoo! Here is the link to my thread. Its not your temps. I read a reddit post saying that in offline mode, scav behaviour is not calculated by the servers, its calculated by your own PC. And since noone else is killing them they constantly move, talk, gesture whether you are close to them or 100 yards apart. I will test reducing the amount of scavs from "as online" to "low" and post it here. Best of luck mate!

Yes developers are aware of the fact that there is a limit how many AI entities can be present at same time on locations. Going above these limits begin to impact server performance more and more.

as you noticed, In offline mode there is no dedicated server to handle this load and everything is running on your own machine.

When you wait and more scavs are present on the location, it will deteriorate your game performance.

I do not know which is better, having 12 AI scavs or 12 Player controlled scavs. If removing AI scavs and having only player scavs on locations helps performance, i would like that options better. 

Hi @BLACKH3ARTED!

Yeah, unfortunately when your machine has to bear the burden of the AI calculations, it can slow things down quite a bit. Especially as BSG continues to improve and add to the AI's featureset.

Luckily, though, whenever you're doing an online raid, most of that is handled by the server so you'll likely notice a nice FPS bump :)

(Have you tried online yet? Any improvement?)