vilespartan

Compass

vilespartan

I have been playing this game for a very long time now and been through highs and lows with this game.  When I heard that we were all going to get a compass, I for a moment was very much excited.  WOW WE ARE FINNALLY GOING TO BE ABLE TO USE COMPASS DIRECTIONS TO RELAY INFORMATION TO OUR SQUADMATES WHILE PLAYING A HARDCORE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!  CAN YOU IMAGINE NO LONGER HAVING TO SAY poo LIKE "HE IS 2 TREES OVER FROM ME NEXT TO SOME ROCKS UP AGAINST A HILL SIDE" WHILE TAKING FIRE AND NEEDING HELP FROM YOUR TEAM.  I mean after all other games of this caliber have such a thing.  But then almost immediately after I was excited about getting a compass, I realized the type of people who are behind this game and how things go with development.  Boy was I let down as always when it comes to this game and the development of it.  Dont know why I need to tell you all how a compass is mapped out since it literally took me 10 seconds to google "compass face" but here we are.

1.  On a compass is NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST.  Usually abbreviated by N, E, S, W to save up space.

2.  On the compass face North is 0 degrees, East is 90 degrees, South is 180 degrees, and West is 270 degrees.   On your compass, is backwards (I KNOW RIGHT...HUUUUGGGGEEEE shocker).  YOUR EAST is 270 degrees and your WEST is 90 degrees.  I have no clue at all how you all messed this up, but you did.  So congrats on that one.

3.  The hands of a compass should NEVER be labeled N and S.  The hands of a compass should move.  North and South as well as East and West SHOULD NEVER EVER MOVE!!!  That is the point of a compass as a means of referential directions.  The hand moves on a compass, therefor the hand itself should not be labeled N and S.

4.  Make the numbers on the compass bigger.  I have amazing eyesight and I can hardly even read the numbering.  You have plenty of room on the compass face to make the lettering bigger so we can all read it better.

I apologize if I seem short or frustrated with this, but I cant hide it.  I have been playing this game since the original beta back in 2017.  I have died countless times and then had my squad die with me simply because I have never had a ducking compass.  That should be a bare necessity of any realistic military first person shooter, but no no no, not your game it took you 3  YEARS TO GIVE US ALL A COMPASS IN THE GAME AND WHEN YOU FINALLY DID DO IT, YOU OF COURSE  IT UP!!!  For reference this is what a compass face looks like!  GET IT RIGHT!!!

image.thumb.png.142dab0aa38b0e0a6cf03a95f2e3d7fa.png

• Upvote 1

GhostZ69

So, are you, in short, asking that they do something right instead of just half way tossing a half baked idea in?  Come on man.  You know this is a BETA and adding a compass is HARD WORK.  I mean it has taken them four years to get the first iteration in...

vilespartan

You know I actually thought about that for a bit being that I do in fact know a bit about coding since I am an Electrical Engineer.  They did all the hard work to put a compass in the game.  They finally did it!  They simply put the image of the compass in backwards.  Argue all you want about "coding" but if you break the problem down to its root, it is absolutely not a "its difficult to code" problem.  Its a they didn't check their work and they once again look like a bunch of incompetent game developers. 

SOOOOO many issues with this game could be resolved if the people who develop it actually play or even depended on their fans to do the play testing for them on test servers.  But no they dont do that.  Same thing with us not being able to report people hacking for so long (we finally just got that capability not too long ago).  They stated that they spend a tremendous amount of time weeding out the hackers.  Why not just simply depend on the thousands of fans that play the game to report players the hackers.  thousands of fan played hours get pumped into this game every week.  Use that time, it is a tremendous resource! 

Then once a month you compile all the complaints into a spreadsheet and if someone has about 100 complaints or more in a month from all different sources, then its pretty easy to say they are cheating and you can decide to keep an eye on the player or ban them immediately.  Sick and tired of this approach to this game.  TEST YOUR WORK!!!   This team's ability to identify problems and come up with relatively easy solutions is seriously lacking and that is killing the game.  This game would 100 percent be dead if a competent game studio just simple picked up the basic concepts of realism, looting, offline storage, and weapon customization and just ran with it.  But here I am still playing the same broken game because there really isnt an alternative currently on the market.  But when that day comes, I will be so excited to be freed of this tactic of going about and making a game.  Cant hide behind the "its a BETA" forever.

0ppenehiemer
17 hours ago, vilespartan said:

This game would 100 percent be dead if a competent game studio just simple picked up the basic concepts of realism, looting, offline storage, and weapon customization and just ran with it.  But here I am still playing the same broken ass game because there really isnt an alternative currently on the market.  But when that day comes, I will be so excited to be freed of this half assed tactic of going about and making a game.  Cant hide behind the "its a BETA" forever.

100% accurate.  If DICE or Infinity Ward took the talent they had with the Battefield/CoD studios and got a similar budget they could create a masterpiece and shelve this.  Just look at feedback from the last two Ghost recon games.  If Ubisoft took the realism of this game ( the weapon customization, the hideout, bullet physics, semi realistic damage system) and built a Ghost Recon game around that it would take off.

This is not the thread for this but I just really agree.  On topic, having a compass is nice, but once you get used to the maps what do you need it for?

Edited by 0ppenehiemer

whatsoeva
20 hours ago, vilespartan said:

Thank you for your posting! I didnt played much games with the compass so far but I also thought that something does actually look strange. Like you mentioned, I do not like that the numbers are so small that its hard to take a short view. Every 45° should be also red marked or something... but... at least we finally have a compass! :)

vilespartan

I agree with you on all of that.  It would be great to have a ghost recon game like that.  A compass would still be very useful in a lot of scenarios.  If you are getting snipped at and you have team members with you, you can call out precise number on the compass and your team can zero in on the threat very well.  A compass would be amazing in woods in particular when it comes to areas that all look the same like trees and rocks and hills.  Imagine being shot and having to not hope on your team mate's interpretation of "he is 2 trees up from me on the left side of the trench and some rocks" but instead "he is 246 degrees from me and 20 meters out" and then there is no interpretation.  Its just facts at that point.

The compass does work for that purpose currently but those of us who are very familiar with compasses are going to get very easily confused when someone calls out "I have someone 320 degrees from be and about 50 meters out"  So the team mate starts to look in the North Western direction because that is where 320 degrees is about but "Oh no, we are playing a game made by jackasses who dont know how things in the real world work or even bother making an effort to check their work."  The compass numbering is backwards and 320 on their compass is actually in the North Eastern direction.  While you took all that extra time to interpret information now the enemy player has already killed your friend while you looked in the wrong direction and he is on the move to flank you and now kill you. 

Once again all this annoyance due to the fact that this studio can put all the hard work in to code the functionality of a compass in, but not actually check their work which if they did and were competent at all, they would have play tested this and realized the numbering is backwards and also they should made the number bigger so we can all read it better.  Not to mention the fact that some guns have attachments with compasses on them so they are always visible rather than having to stop and pull a compass out while someone is shooting at you.  But hey lets take baby steps here.  OR YOU KNOW JUST PUT IT ON THE HUD OF THE GAME. 

But I know realism realism realism meanwhile there is a junkie boss on shoreline that takes a stim and can get shot in the head 3 plus times before he is dead.  I know realism...but just having the compass on the bottom of the screen would be such an improvement to just daily life in this game.

ITS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK THAT THEY TEST THEIR OWN WORK BEFORE RELEASING THINGS INTO THE GAME THAT WE ALL PAID FOR!

Biala_Mewa
21 hours ago, vilespartan said:

Make the numbers on the compass bigger.  I have amazing eyesight and I can hardly even read the numbering.  You have plenty of room on the compass face to make the lettering bigger so we can all read it better.

Letters on compass are tiny, but in the bottom-right corner of the screen game shows us the direction, so for now it's better to read number from this corner. 

Biala_Mewa

Please, try to avoid inappropriate words. Make healthy statements to provide discussion adequate level. 

vilespartan

We are all adults here.  We should be able to use adult language, especially when we are frustrated with the time and time again errors that SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING.  I use adult language to express my level of frustration with this game constantly begin jacked up time and time again by issues that should and would be resolved with play testing.   Its a form of expression.  Not like I am going over the top with the language here.

This game has adult language in it as well as revolves around killing other human beings, using adult language to express frustration is too far for the forums?

• Sad 1

Biala_Mewa

I made some research and found information about "Brunton Compass" with counter-clockwise direction, here is the link: http://earthsci.org/education/fieldsk/compass/compass.html

"In transfering this to the face of a compass, the numbers increase from 0 degrees to 359 degrees in a counter-clockwise direction (to remain consistent with the reversal of E and W on compasses). This is called azimuthal notation. If you were facing east, you would say that the azimuth was 90&degrees. If you were facing south, you would say that the azimuth was 180 degrees.
 Once again, in azimuth notation, your direction is specified as an angle between 0 degrees and 359 degrees where north is 0 degrees, east in 90 degrees, south is 180 degrees , and west is 270 degrees."

Also a photography of different increase:

image.png.5472ffae3978ab478257ec4083a26d31.png

• Like 1

Biala_Mewa
13 minutes ago, vilespartan said:

We are all adults here.  We should be able to use adult language, especially when we are frustrated with the time and time again errors that SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING.  I use adult language to express my level of frustration with this game constantly begin jacked up time and time again by issues that should and would be resolved with play testing.   Its a form of expression.  Not like I am going over the top with the language here.

This game has adult language in it as well as revolves around killing other human beings, using adult language to express frustration is too far for the forums?

There is a post with Forum rules: 

Even if you are frustrated, you still can make healthy statements without vulgar expressions. 

• Like 1

vilespartan

I am well aware of the rules on the forums and I am arguing that it is hypocritical nonsense.  The logical thought process that derived said rules list is actually not so logical at all.  Dare I say those rules are put in place to prevent people from name calling and starting a flame war in the community that will eventually dive into a state of arguing on a 5th grade level and starting to throw around racial slurs.  Kind of funny too now that I mention it.  Didn't we not too long ago finally get the ability to report offensive names.  How many years did I have to go into a lobby and see some racist clown who has a horrible name like ""  or "" (actual names I saw in the past btw) oh but now that I attacked the half hearted effort of this game now suddenly you want to throw a list of weightless rules at me.  How many years did this game studio sit back and just turn a blind eye to that racist crap?  NOW YOU WANT TO PIPE UP ABOUT LANGUAGE?!?!  Once again the logic here isn't adding up.  So go ahead and site a bunch of hypocritical rules at me again.  Its really working.

Now lets get back on track and talk about the compass you posted.  So you found some non-standard compass that has lettering backwards on the top half of the compass, great.  What a good compass,  real knock out job.  Now when I want to call an threat out to my team that is in the north east I have to look left and then read the number backwards.  I get the scientific reasoning behind flipping East and West to keep in line with azimuth (dont agree with it, but I get it).  Now if I were having a conversation with the manufactures of this compass I would ask the very simple question of "Why did you not just print the numbering on the upper half of the compass so that it would all read left to right?  Since when ever have human beings been reading numbers backwards and been right?  Since when do we read numbers from right to left?  Hey remember the days when you were 5 and you would say things like "its backwards day!" and then start doing things backwards?  When did it become backwards day for the upper half of this compass' numbering?" What a bang up job you got there.  OR JUST HEAR ME OUT FOR A MINUTE.  You could just use a standard compass that has normal lettering on it and such since MAJORITY OF THE WORLD USES A STANDARD COMPASS BECAUSE ITS STANDARD!  But wait there is more...Why dont you take a look closer at the compass you posted.  You missed a few fine details that are very relevant to this exact topic.  First off do you notice how the hand on the compass are not labeled N and S?  Well that is because North and South on a compass should NEVER EVER MOVE.  The hands on a compass moves, not the North and South.  But here is the real meat of the conversation here.  Look at East, what number do you see there?  09 oh wait hold on the manufacturer of this compass is not a real big brain but lets get past that and read backward which is required for the top half of this compass.  East is 90.  WOWWIEEEEE they got it right.  West is 270, oh my good lord they actually did something right on this compass.  Now lets look at the Tarkov compass...East is...270, hmmmmm that's odd.  Now does anyone care to argue that East on a compass is 270 instead of 90?  Nope, no logical person would do so because they would be dead wrong!  The numbering on the tarkov compass is mirrored about the North and South axis and IT SHOULDNT BE!  EAST IS NEVER 270 DEGREES!!!  WEST IS NEVER 90 DEGREES!  This is the fundamental issue of this game time and time again.  Lack of understanding of how real world things work and the reasoning behind them, followed up with a case of NOT TESTING BEFORE RELEASE TO THE PUBLIC!  If there were test servers that people who actually play this game could test new features out, then before release to the general public someone would catch a lot of these stupid mistakes and correct them.  We wouldn't be currently playing with a busted compass.

However though I do want to say thank you for the comment about the numbering being on the bottom right of the compass screen.  that is very useful and I am happy they did that. I missed that detail.  But that also brings up another point of contention.  This game calls for realism so many times, which I get to a degree.  I enjoy that, hence why I play this game, I shoot someone at most 5 times and they die.  its not like COD where I have to dump a half clip into someone.  However there is a balance to realism and fun in a game and I know this game struggles with that a lot.  But hear me out.  The game developers decided to have a number layout in the bottom right corner of the compass screen.  The line of "realism" has already been crossed.  Why not just have that numbering for the compass always be in the bottom right hand corner of the screen without the compass being out?  The game has already put the feature in, just give it to us on the HUD.  You cant claim that you want realism when you already have a numeric read out of a compass in the bottom right hand corner of the compass screen.  Putting in the numeric readout was compromise between realism and fun and it was a good compromise.  Take it one step closer.  Put it on the HUD.  Attached is a image of the in game Tarkov Compass for reference.

Tarkov Compass.PNG

coredumped7893
16 minutes ago, vilespartan said:

NOW YOU WANT TO PIPE UP ABOUT LANGUAGE?!?!  Once again the logic here isn't adding up.  So go ahead and site a bunch of hypocritical rules at me again.  Its really working.

I think you just need to chill out, you don`t have a reason to be so aggressive.

17 minutes ago, vilespartan said:

You could just use a standard compass that has normal lettering on it and such since MAJORITY OF THE WORLD USES A STANDARD COMPASS BECAUSE ITS STANDARD!  But wait there is more...

Sooo you have problem that tarkov compass doesn`t look exactly like yours and this is why it annoys you so much ? :D Or maybe you just get confused and don`t know how to use it. It is real world thing and there are reason why it was designed like this.

21 minutes ago, vilespartan said:

Now lets look at the Tarkov compass...East is...270, hmmmmm that's odd.  Now does anyone care to argue that East on a compass is 270 instead of 90?  Nope, no logical person would do so because they would be dead wrong!  The numbering on the tarkov compass is mirrored about the North and South axis and IT SHOULDNT BE!  EAST IS NEVER 270 DEGREES!!!  WEST IS NEVER 90 DEGREES! 

It seems like you are just using it wrong, and game doest not say that ".East is...270" you are looking at the wrong spot. 

22 minutes ago, vilespartan said:

The game developers decided to have a number layout in the bottom right corner of the compass screen.  The line of "realism" has already been crossed.  Why not just have that numbering for the compass always be in the bottom right hand corner of the screen without the compass being out? 

The fact that BSG have put some little things into game that are  helping players doesn`t mean that since then they should take full in approach to typical arcade games. This game is original, and requires you to be prepared and to actually learn many things before you can play. Maybe that`s the reason why they have choosen a little different compass (that is still easy to use after few minutes). I would`nt expect from them to put typical HUD elements like in PUBG it would totally kill the immersion. And honestly for me that heading number in the corner could be also removed.  

• Upvote 2

Biala_Mewa
1 hour ago, vilespartan said:

I am well aware of the rules on the forums and I am arguing that it is hypocritical nonsense.

@vilespartan, rules where designed to provide some standards on Forum and to keep discussion healthy. Keep that in mind when posting on Forum. Again, you could still making statements without negative attitude on everything. Inappropriate words don't help in keeping good and friendly exchange of views. 

1 hour ago, vilespartan said:

So you found some non-standard compass that has lettering backwards on the top half of the compass, great.

Users are primarily geologists, but archaeologists, environmental engineers, mining engineers and surveyors also make use of the Brunton's capabilities.The United States Army has adopted the Pocket Transit as the M2 Compass for use by crew-served artillery.

I've checked compass in Tarkov. First, you have to set your PMC to North, and it's correct - East is on your right:

image.png.33f1e5458c936663de11ff1f3100564c.png

If I move to right, the game will show me that East is on 90 degrees, which is also correct.

image.png.da066e2dbb71f3adfd8d001c4fbc4a3e.png

In my opnion, this compass is correct. We should look only at RED NEEDLE. The number at the bottom-right corner is equal to the number shown by red needle. It is correct. Only a red needle is in our interest when looking on compass. If you look on like with this rule, it works properly. The number on the outer shield is not connected to the World Direction written on the inner shield. 

That's why the numbers are in counter-clockwise direction. 

Short experiment:

At which direction is RUAF located?

image.png.3f3e3da5f9eef74a1f8964d8248256d1.png

From the first picture we know, that on our right is North, so RUAF should on the West. Let's check compass:

image.png.9659ef7397a1a4432e5caff9b4e37dd7.png

Would we say that RUAF is at 0 degrees? Nope. But if we are looking only at the red needle, it will tell us "~260 degrees". Now let's check on the right-bottom of the screen:

image.png.b0b17a693b30c884ff53e3d2f59c8d97.png

It's correct. 

Conclusion: to proper read the compass, we should be interested only in red needle indication. Then the "270 degrees on East" make sense. If you focus only on this, compass works properly. 

I've mentioned Brunton compass, because it has similar thing to Tarkov compass, sush as reverse scale.