Sign in to follow this  
i318legion

Bullet Resistant Glass

i318legion

I'm sure about everyone here has had an issue with the bullet resistant glass in labs, interchange, and anywhere you find it. The fact is that the glass is buggy at best, at worst one person can shoot through it and one person can't. I have had raiders shoot me through multiple layers of the office glass with 5.7x28mm ss190 and there bullets will hit me but if I shoot back with anything from 7n31 to m995 I can't hit them. The bullet that they fire at you is not impacted by the glass at all or at least seems that way.  Another problem is grenade interaction with the glass is wrong as well. An example would be if I'm in the back office of the green keycard room overlooking the 2 sets of double doors, a grenade launched HE round can kill you if it hits the one of the double doors when you are about 15 feet apart, but between you and the explosion is bullet resistant glass. You can't be killed by fragmentation because the  glass should absorb it all.  HE wouldn't be effective either if it doesn't impact the glass.  Concussive forces wouldn't play a role  entirely because you would essentially have a wall in front of you. Despite this, the grenade will still kill you even if you were wearing level 5 armor on both you body and head. Essentially what I would like to be added is Durability to the glass. It would pretty much  work like having another piece of armor in front of you. As for the grenade damage, depending on the condition of the glass it should be reduced significantly.  If it is at 0 durability then the grenade wouldn't be effected at all, where as if it has some, it comes with a substantial debuff. The reason being is that Bullet resistant glass isn't as sharp and kind of sticks together.  The glasses proximity from the explosion would determine how much damage is receives and so on. The damage debuff would also apply to bullets as it already kind of does. It would work similar to armor,  however the difference would be anything that passes through would receive a massive debuff in both damage, and penetration characteristics and that could be further increased by distance. PLUS the effects of spaced armor, bullet penetration qualities and other aspects of bullet penetration need to be addressed. This should be relatively simple. Walls have a 100% bulllet non pen. Essentially create a wall with a lower durability\ armor value and change how it is impacted by different kinds of damage and whether a bullet or fragment or concussive force goes through. I'm not saying go and the glass unaffected by grenades.  Just change the way they function.

p4nnus
10 hours ago, i318legion said:

I'm sure about everyone here has had an issue with the bullet resistant glass in labs, interchange, and anywhere you find it. The fact is that the glass is buggy at best, at worst one person can shoot through it and one person can't. I have had raiders shoot me through multiple layers of the office glass with 5.7x28mm ss190 and there bullets will hit me but if I shoot back with anything from 7n31 to m995 I can't hit them. The bullet that they fire at you is not impacted by the glass at all or at least seems that way.  Another problem is grenade interaction with the glass is wrong as well. An example would be if I'm in the back office of the green keycard room overlooking the 2 sets of double doors, a grenade launched HE round can kill you if it hits the one of the double doors when you are about 15 feet apart, but between you and the explosion is bullet resistant glass. You can't be killed by fragmentation because the  glass should absorb it all.  HE wouldn't be effective either if it doesn't impact the glass.  Concussive forces wouldn't play a role  entirely because you would essentially have a wall in front of you. Despite this, the grenade will still kill you even if you were wearing level 5 armor on both you body and head. Essentially what I would like to be added is Durability to the glass. It would pretty much  work like having another piece of armor in front of you. As for the grenade damage, depending on the condition of the glass it should be reduced significantly.  If it is at 0 durability then the grenade wouldn't be effected at all, where as if it has some, it comes with a substantial debuff. The reason being is that Bullet resistant glass isn't as sharp and kind of sticks together.  The glasses proximity from the explosion would determine how much damage is receives and so on. The damage debuff would also apply to bullets as it already kind of does. It would work similar to armor,  however the difference would be anything that passes through would receive a massive debuff in both damage, and penetration characteristics and that could be further increased by distance. PLUS the effects of spaced armor, bullet penetration qualities and other aspects of bullet penetration need to be addressed. This should be relatively simple. Walls have a 100% bulllet non pen. Essentially create a wall with a lower durability\ armor value and change how it is impacted by different kinds of damage and whether a bullet or fragment or concussive force goes through. I'm not saying go and the glass unaffected by grenades.  Just change the way they function.

What you describe is partly because the glass will make your bullets deviate. One of the really early dev diaries, BSG demonstrated this. If your rounds are penetrating any surface, including these unbreakable miracle glass obstacles, the bullets will change direction depending on the surface & direction and angle.

There probably is that bullet resistant glass because the game isnt optimized to have so much breaking glass yet. I expect it to be placeholder. Such glass, that doesnt even have the impact craters, is unrealistic.

i318legion
On 10/24/2020 at 3:52 AM, p4nnus said:

What you describe is partly because the glass will make your bullets deviate. One of the really early dev diaries, BSG demonstrated this. If your rounds are penetrating any surface, including these unbreakable miracle glass obstacles, the bullets will change direction depending on the surface & direction and angle.

There probably is that bullet resistant glass because the game isn't optimized to have so much breaking glass yet. I expect it to be placeholder. Such glass, that doesn't even have the impact craters, is unrealistic.

I have noticed what you're saying, and I agree that bullets will get kind of weird when impacting the glass. However if that is true, then 100% of the time a Raider shooting at you should miss, if you can also not shoot him. The reason I'm saying this is due to the way angles work. If you shoot a bullet and it impacts the glass, I agree in that it should change direction, even marginally, but because the glass remains the same, if another bullet were to impact in the same spot around it, should again theoretically change in that same direction. This applies to bullets that clearly make it through the glass 100% of the time. What they have done is made it to where if a bullet penetrates glass, the bullet disappears and another appears in its place with the same statistics, but a changed MOA, making the bullet less accurate. This applies to the bullet resistant glass (I'm not sure about the standard glass). This is why stuff that goes through the glass will seemingly do the same amount of damage especially to armor. With respect I think that if a tumbling bullet hits a nonarmored body part damage could increase, however if it hits an armored body part it has, significantly less pen, and less armor damage. I don't disagree that the glass would have an impact with a bullet's ballistics, I just think the way it is currently implemented is incorrect. I could shoot with a more accurate, faster firing bullet and that  bullet would not impact a target, where as if another bullet was fired back at me,  it would experience the same angles as my bullet and still would hit me. Essentially what they have done is an attempt easily calculated way  of giving bullet resistant glass that effect. I do agree with your assessment that it isn't optimized correctly to do such a thing, entirely because of hit boxes  and how they function, along with the amount of physics applied would be too much for current graphics cards. However my idea is to kind of use panels. They shatter when destroyed, and get bullets holes on them as they take damage, they let more bullets in the lower their  health and so on. It's definitely not as realistic, but its a step in the right direction I feel. I have tried testing this with multiple fire arms, and I'd have about 1 out of 100 hitting  target, and the rest missing.  I used 9x19, 4.6x30, 5.56, 7.62x51, 7.62x54, and 5.7x28 Of those, only the 4.6x30 Went through. Interestingly enough it also had the lowest MOA.