Vitreal

Frustrated with trying to level up

Vitreal

Okay this is a bit of a rant. I just got the game roughly a week or so ago and I have been trying to learn the ropes. I know my way around Customs and when I want to just loot and run away, i almost always survive... that is the easy part.

But to progress i need to engage enemies which usually brings a shitload of firepower my direction. Scavs I can deal with, usually if I am trying to recover from a pretty bad loss i just grab a pistol with 8 rounds and go kill some scav holding a gun and go from there or die. This isn't conducive to actually getting anywhere though as i need to engage with larger volumes of scavs and players. Sometimes i get the drop on someone and take them out, usually i run into some guy who is armed to the teeth or don't even see them and die to roughly 3 bullets to the head. I buy the soft armor and the 20k lvl 3 helmet every time and usually roll out with an AK using the best ammo i have, but this gear doesn't make much difference. At this point i just feel like i am content for other people and should just quit. I've learned to avoid certain areas like Dorms in customs just because the enemy can hide in so many places and it is almost always gaurded by some HEAVILY geared players. 9/10 times i went in i was killed within 15 seconds. I learned that ADS makes enough noise to help give your location away, i've learned how to be stealthy (couldn't escape with gear easily if i didn't know that). but the dorms is nothing but a death trap. So i usually try to find things to kill around the construction area/old gas. but when i try to farm xp i die 9/10 to some players just herp a derping around.

The most effective strategy i found was when i found an SVD on a sniper scav  and had 7N1 ammo in it. I just waited around waiting for someone to exit and just blew their head off in 2 shots... i felt sick to my stomach, but it worked. got a ZHUK 6a armor that i am holding on to so i can sell it for the money it is worth. (i need money more than i need armor ill instantly lose).

The key point - the game isn't conducive to exploration and combat is a death trap... but you HAVE to do it to advance ANY. however you're more than likely just going to be an easy target to someone who is lurking around waiting for you to derp by. I dunno if this emergent gameplay element is enjoyable, is this all that high lvl is? Lurking and killing people who are stupid enough to move?

ah well. the premise of the game is neat, i just don't like the way i am being lead by the game and at this point i feel like i wasted 50 bucks on a frustrating game with low lows and low highs.

davidj123456

So you are saying you do not know how the game works and you want to quit without learning how to play...? Seems very silly!

There are many sources of info where you can learn to play including wiki, forums, reddit, youtube, twitch, discord, and so on.
There are programs such as sherpa and many discords dedicated to helping new players.
If you need a team you can go to the multiple lfg locations.

Really isn't that hard if you try...

• Sad 9

Vitreal

I've watched all the guides, learned about all the tricks, and all that jazz. I know how people detect you and how you detect people. Wouldn't have made ANY progress had I just tried to figure this out all on my lonesome. I have even tried using the headsets to gain advantage there.

The issue is the skill ceiling is scaled incredibly high with a stacked deck against newer players to the point that it would take hundreds of miserable hours and suffering to actually be at what i would call competent.

That's the silly thing really, no matchmaking to help put similarly leveled players with each other. I am lvl 7 and of the player kills i have they were all 40+. Well, maybe there is a matchmaker in the system, but player count is too low for low levels to be fairly matched. So you're response is equiv to "Get Gud" and really the payoff seems so very very mild and the cliff too steep. I mean i know about ammo, armor penetration, and all that jazz. Where to aim what, leg meta, and more. That isn't the issue here, i can't readily or easily access that ammo because i can't use the flea market and leveling vendors will take longer than that. So really, why bother? WHy invest 100s of deaths and loss just to grind this out to get to a point i can start having a chance at competing.

That's my issue, the initial wall you hit is just so large. I don't feel anything when i die it's just, well i know what i did wrong OR when i engage i just have to say "Well, i didn't have the gear for that fight" or if i kill the high lvl player it's loot his rear and run off to extract".

By all means, if you have fun... enjoy it. For me, it's just a slog. I know the game is billed as a "Hardcore" fps, but skill cannot overcome some challenges, just blind luck (right place, right time, right gear) or welp you picked the wrong moment. I've been in the position of catching some poor sap with his pants down more than a couple and i've been that guy. The odds aren't in your favor for a repeat in the same match. so, there ya go.

Fumungus

once you learn the game a bit you can generally control how you play, whether you want to engage people or avoid them.  sometimes you get a random encounter out of the ordinary, but such is tarkov life. doing quests is the easiest way to level up. this game can go from doing a scav run in factory and looting hundreds of thousands of roubles worth of gear from a chad battle, to being a scav on customs and coming around the fuel tanks to see a chad gangbang heading down the round towards you. i will say the skill ceiling seems quite high , i assume people who love a challenge are brought to this game. the game should be easy once you learn it but if u still find yourself not having fun then maybe its not for you? i used to play stalker with misery mods so i was drawn to this game as i like the challenge and realism aspect

• Upvote 1

davidj123456
2 hours ago, Vitreal said:

I've watched all the guides, learned about all the tricks, and all that jazz. I know how people detect you and how you detect people. Wouldn't have made ANY progress had I just tried to figure this out all on my lonesome. I have even tried using the headsets to gain advantage there.

The issue is the skill ceiling is scaled incredibly high with a stacked deck against newer players to the point that it would take hundreds of miserable hours and suffering to actually be at what i would call competent.

That's the silly thing really, no matchmaking to help put similarly leveled players with each other. I am lvl 7 and of the player kills i have they were all 40+. Well, maybe there is a matchmaker in the system, but player count is too low for low levels to be fairly matched. So you're response is equiv to "Get Gud" and really the payoff seems so very very mild and the cliff too steep. I mean i know about ammo, armor penetration, and all that jazz. Where to aim what, leg meta, and more. That isn't the issue here, i can't readily or easily access that ammo because i can't use the flea market and leveling vendors will take longer than that. So really, why bother? WHy invest 100s of deaths and loss just to grind this out to get to a point i can start having a chance at competing.

That's my issue, the initial wall you hit is just so large. I don't feel anything when i die it's just, well i know what i did wrong OR when i engage i just have to say "Well, i didn't have the gear for that fight" or if i kill the high lvl player it's loot his rear and run off to extract".

By all means, if you have fun... enjoy it. For me, it's just a slog. I know the game is billed as a "Hardcore" fps, but skill cannot overcome some challenges, just blind luck (right place, right time, right gear) or welp you picked the wrong moment. I've been in the position of catching some poor sap with his pants down more than a couple and i've been that guy. The odds aren't in your favor for a repeat in the same match. so, there ya go.

What are you talking about? You have access to plenty of ammo that is just fine. And getting Level 10 does not take 100's of deaths. It takes a few days max...

• Sad 8

behi09ma

@Vitreal i know exactly how you feel, i was in your situation 2 wipes ago and had your problems but i knew what i bought and tried to learn it, and i feel better after passing the phase of learning and understanding the game. just wanted to give you the motivation to pass the learning curve, actually if you can handle it.

wish you luck

tmodelsk

I'm in exactly in the same position as OP.  So I would gladly see some solutions.
My two cents -> Customs is IMO hard map. Try ie: Shoreline, do looting rides.
Looting also gives xp, gives you money, sometimes weapons (AK sort of).

tmodelsk
  1. Tarkov in current state in very unfriendly to new players. That's raw fact. Period.
    If game creators are ok with that ... then I'm sorry to hear that.
    With some help from game creators larger part of newbies could become valuable players.
    Without it -> only few most determined one will stay here. Its also 'money' argument.

2. Community IMO had done its job in this area -> there are many very good guides for newbies.
    Game creators IMO had not done its job here.

3. My proposed Solution: kind of limited LEVEL based match making (not skill based, LEVEL based)

4. So: OPTIONAL lobby for players at level 1-10 (or level 1-15);
    Only available for few maps (like Woods, Shoreline, Customs).
    Only player PMC/Scavs with low level allowed.
    No high valuable loot.
    Slower exp & skill progression.

5. Game devs: if you dont like it, please propose something other, but do something please.

6. Any way, I'm not gonna to play Tarkov until game shutters (server lags) are resolved,
    until game creators will answer to Veritas video about this topic.
Edited by tmodelsk

DeadmodeUK

I vote no to any matchmaking but that is a separate discussion.

The issue with EFT for new players is that it gets harder for a new player the further into the wipe they start. Without access to the flea at level 1, the extremely limited capability of equipment at low levels, combined with the expense of crucial supplies and gear without levelled traders makes sustainable play far more difficult than that of higher levels.

There is one saving grace, however, and that is that you can progress to decent levels and have a couple of levels unlocked for traders before you NEED to engage players. The only quests that require PMC kills do not appear for a while. Prior to that it’s only really scav kills you’ll be forced to earn. After returning from a long hiatus I’m level 20 and now facing pistol PMC task and Friend From The West. At my level, though, I have access to gear that is more than capable of ending chads at reasonable prices. 

Hopefully, BSG unlock the flea earlier at some point. This will not help a great deal though as someone who has not got decent trader levels pays a huge amount more for important parts or supplies, so each load out for a new player is still going to cost big money, but at least you’ll have the chance to compete. 

I can’t see the difficulty for new players changing any time soon though. Before you quit the game, I would recommend avoiding all PMC where possible until you at least unlock the flea. Other than that, the only other advice I can offer is to wait until a wipe and then be a low level player with everyone else when the field is far more even. The latter should not have to be the solution, but unfortunately, it often has to be for many players with the current state of the game. 

Biboun

Here are some advices.

At low level, your goals should be:

1/gain economy by any means, you should run as much scav runs as you can, it is free money and weapons.

As a scav you should focus on surviving so every raid is worth money or weapons.

As much as possible try to not engage the ai scavs except if they are alone/isolated and they have something that will improve your current scav (a bag, a better weapon, an vest, a helmet), do not engage ai scavs if there are other scavs in the same area, you will probably die or be too much injured to escape.

NOTE: scav XP is separate from your PMC XP, so the only valuable thing is stuff you extract with, and knowlege you gain.

2/have your pmc gain xp points for level and imrove skills

->Stick to the quests, quests are designed to teach you the basics, know the maps, understand how scavs move and detect you etc..

Quests will reward you with more xp, stuff and money than any pvp at low level, some quests doesn't require you to escape alive, consider you may die and loose light stuff but succes the quest, consider what you loose as an investment in trade for XP points.

3/reach level 10 for flee (will dramatically boost you economy when you'll sell valuable items from scav raids), really consider level 10 as you next achievement. Once you get the flea, use it only to sell high items that prapor and co would buy for cheap (always compare).Dont buy anything expensive right now  on the flea. You'll get better prices froms the sellers as long as you gain xp and loyauty. If it makes less that 30% better price, sell to prapor and co rather than flea+fees, loyauty to sellers will bring you better gear and ammo for cheap. Higher level players are scamming you on the flea, selling cheap stuff at high price, just because you cannot buy them from prapor and co.

4/avoid pvp vs PMCs (your chances to dies are too high right now, as you've noticed..), the ammo you can access are mostly too weak to even pierce big armors (spend time on wiki ballistics section and check your chances to destroy lvl4 vests and helmets which is standard at this moment of the wipe.Sometimes you'd better not engage or carry very low piercing/high flesh damage rounds and focus on arms and legs of PMCs if you cannot avoir fight)

5/As you've started the game very late in the wipe, you clearly need to play humble and consider all of this as a big training for next wipe.

The most valuable thing is tarkov is YOUR knowledge of the game, everything else will be wiped.

Tarkov is time demanding, and your chances are mostly proportionnal to your economy and lvl, you cannot jump over this and just try to pvp like if you were 2000+hours and lvl 50, your PMC is too weak, your economy won't allow  that, and your global knowledge of the game needs time.  Having a good aim at other fps, or good reflexes won't change anything.

Also, playing solo is extremely frustrating and a squad of 2 players helps a lot as your mate can put your stuff in a bush when you die, and papror insurrance will bring it back.

Feel free to ask any question

• Like 1

jockmcplop
14 hours ago, Vitreal said:

The devs have said no matchmaking because it goes against the ethos of the game. You are supposed to go into every raid not knowing what awaits you.

I think there should be more meaningful progression between levels 1 and 10. Maybe an extra dealer level that you get after the first quest or something, so you can start modding guns early. 

Either way I feel your pain. I only started this wipe and even though i'm at level 26 i'm still hopelessly outmatched in most pvp encounters, and i'm at the stage where i need to kill a bunch of PMCs for quests which is frustrating because i keep losing all my gear and money.

This steep learning curve continues on for a very long time. The best thing to do is to set yourself goals and learn good habits, they will pay off later on. Also playing solo is a nightmare, try and get someone to play with. 

Nek0fficial
15 hours ago, Vitreal said:

Okay this is a bit of a rant. I just got the game roughly a week or so ago and I have been trying to learn the ropes. I know my way around Customs and when I want to just loot and run away, i almost always survive... that is the easy part.

But to progress i need to engage enemies which usually brings a shitload of firepower my direction. Scavs I can deal with, usually if I am trying to recover from a pretty bad loss i just grab a pistol with 8 rounds and go kill some scav holding a gun and go from there or die. This isn't conducive to actually getting anywhere though as i need to engage with larger volumes of scavs and players. Sometimes i get the drop on someone and take them out, usually i run into some guy who is armed to the teeth or don't even see them and die to roughly 3 bullets to the head. I buy the soft armor and the 20k lvl 3 helmet every time and usually roll out with an AK using the best ammo i have, but this gear doesn't make much difference. At this point i just feel like i am content for other people and should just quit. I've learned to avoid certain areas like Dorms in customs just because the enemy can hide in so many places and it is almost always gaurded by some HEAVILY geared players. 9/10 times i went in i was killed within 15 seconds. I learned that ADS makes enough noise to help give your location away, i've learned how to be stealthy (couldn't escape with gear easily if i didn't know that). but the dorms is nothing but a death trap. So i usually try to find things to kill around the construction area/old gas. but when i try to farm xp i die 9/10 to some players just herp a derping around.

The most effective strategy i found was when i found an SVD on a sniper scav  and had 7N1 ammo in it. I just waited around waiting for someone to exit and just blew their head off in 2 shots... i felt sick to my stomach, but it worked. got a ZHUK 6a armor that i am holding on to so i can sell it for the money it is worth. (i need money more than i need armor ill instantly lose).

The key point - the game isn't conducive to exploration and combat is a death trap... but you HAVE to do it to advance ANY. however you're more than likely just going to be an easy target to someone who is lurking around waiting for you to derp by. I dunno if this emergent gameplay element is enjoyable, is this all that high lvl is? Lurking and killing people who are stupid enough to move?

ah well. the premise of the game is neat, i just don't like the way i am being lead by the game and at this point i feel like i wasted 50 bucks on a frustrating game with low lows and low highs.

Personally I respect it. Its ok to not like the game and its ok to feel you've wasted your time and money. That is your right as a consumer to say whatever you want about the game.

But with that said, coming from a defensive perspective on the game that is, it is an undeniable fact that Tarkov is very hard on new players. Some may say unfair to them. That isn't in theory how you want your players to feel when trying your game, you want them to feel good about their purchase. But at the same time Tarkov in its current state and what it wants to be is hardcore. This doesn't mean the game couldn't explain more though. Dropping you in with literally no tutorial whatever, some like it, the freedom from the get go, but some will hate it.

Tarkov's difficulty is like a reverse L exponential function, the more you progress the easier it gets, which is actually not how most games work. The more levels you progress through in other games the enemies/challenges are tougher, starting you off easy and working your way up. Point is Tarkov is hard some will like it, and some won't and that's ok.

Thank you for reading my rant, lmao!

mamback

If I can suggest something to you witch worked for me at the beginning (as much as it sounds strange and simple) you need to die  A LOT to really stop getting frustrated and play you're PMC as you play you're SCAV. Rest will come with experience. Also is handy to add key binds to you're talking. Sometimes you will meet players that respect communication and shouting HOLD YOU'RE FIRE! etc. will save you a gun fight. But another problem is a fact that there is many quests that require killing PMC's and low level players are easy target for M61 and M995 elite....

GET IN GET OUT. Tarkov Motto :)

Foxyprox

I would say partner up. This game shines in duo's. You can move tactically and its more fun. Try and find a teammate that can show you the ropes. If you've been playing a week, there's certainly going to be a lot to learn still.

RACWAR

Ignore all the videos and guides you've seen, stop looting just for the sake of looting whatever, and stop engaging in pvp, just do your quest, and don't bother with anything else until you're lvl 40.

thekins

green lines mean move there red means dead green box means loot congrats you can now customs and make 100k-500k per raid.

Customs_map_glory4lyfe.png

• Upvote 2

PeskyMaus
51 minutes ago, thekins said:

green lines mean move there red means dead green box means loot congrats you can now customs and make 100k-500k per raid.

Customs_map_glory4lyfe.png

Funny - those green lines are exactly where I set up camp :D

Cej1983

I’ve been at the game for not quite a month. Currently level 19 sitting on 3.6 million rubles or so. Here are some tips that have worked for me. Some have been mentioned but I’ll reiterate them. 

1. ditch customs. Unless you’re trying to do a quest stay off it till you’re better. 
2.  Try shoreline. Watch some loot run videos and find one that works for you. This can get you better equipment from the caches, get you some scav kills and build up your stash and rubles. 
3. when you go back to customs for quests, go at night. You may need the flea or leveled trader for the NVGs tho. It will help. 
4. Scav whenever you can. As others have said it’s free gear and rubles. 
5. Avoid pvp like the plague. Unless it’s a hatchling or pistoling don’t shoot unless you’re certain you can kill them. If you can’t avoid the fight do you’re best and be ok with dying a lot. 
6. Tarkov is a challenging game. It’s late into the wipe, set yourself some goals. Have purpose for every raid. Mine is a Bitcoin farm, not going broke  and learning maps. 
7. after you’ve improved and built a stash use your scav to learn other maps. It costs you nothing. 
8. Watch pestily’s raid series on YouTube if you haven’t already. Yes he’s a good player but he breaks things down very well. I’m on episode 31 of the second watch through. 
9. Good luck. It’s a hard game but when you have some success it’s great. And before you get to pissed at a bad run stop playing and take a break for the night or day. It’ll be there tomorrow. And that goes for any game really. 

• Upvote 1

Bankoletti

Focus on quests (by far the quickest and easiest way to gain XP) and avoid PvP to get to level 10. From then on it's easier to breathe due to flea.

gkcx2002

This game is totally different once you unlock the Flea Market and it shouldn't be that way. 

N1mbuZ

I am tired of hearing this "Not friendly to new players" talk.
Can you imagine if all the new players played together it would take A LOT more time to get better as you would have no reason to BE better because everyone around you is just as dumb to the game as you

FPS games in particular are heavy on mechanics like reflexes, movement and map sense. Those are all trained by getting destroyed by experienced players but it is up to the newbie player to learn from it and get better

And before anyone pulls the "But i am a casual  i play 2 hours per day" - Gratz, you have 2 hours per day to get better, means by the time you hit 1000h gametime you'll be as good as the guy who got 1000h by playing 8h per game

If you are a noob and you play with noobs, then after 1000h you will still be as bad because you have not learned anything which this game is built up on. No amount of matchmaking handholding is going to help you - you MUST have a wish to get better at this game

It's hours in -> hours out, Papa Newton is very dissapointed in your lack of knowledge of physics and potential energy

vampy

just keep playing offline mode till you feel like your ready and confident to take on the raids with players

Zeroa
On 11/14/2020 at 1:34 AM, Cej1983 said:

I’ve been at the game for not quite a month. Currently level 19 sitting on 3.6 million rubles or so. Here are some tips that have worked for me. Some have been mentioned but I’ll reiterate them. 

1. ditch customs. Unless you’re trying to do a quest stay off it till you’re better. 
2.  Try shoreline. Watch some loot run videos and find one that works for you. This can get you better equipment from the caches, get you some scav kills and build up your stash and rubles. 
3. when you go back to customs for quests, go at night. You may need the flea or leveled trader for the NVGs tho. It will help. 
4. Scav whenever you can. As others have said it’s free gear and rubles. 
5. Avoid pvp like the plague. Unless it’s a hatchling or pistoling don’t shoot unless you’re certain you can kill them. If you can’t avoid the fight do you’re best and be ok with dying a lot. 
6. Tarkov is a challenging game. It’s late into the wipe, set yourself some goals. Have purpose for every raid. Mine is a Bitcoin farm, not going broke  and learning maps. 
7. after you’ve improved and built a stash use your scav to learn other maps. It costs you nothing. 
8. Watch pestily’s raid series on YouTube if you haven’t already. Yes he’s a good player but he breaks things down very well. I’m on episode 31 of the second watch through. 
9. Good luck. It’s a hard game but when you have some success it’s great. And before you get to pissed at a bad run stop playing and take a break for the night or day. It’ll be there tomorrow. And that goes for any game really. 

This is major keys advice.  I've got a handful of friends who recently started playing.. less than a month ago and they're in a similar spot after learning similar things.  It all comes down to learning.  I still learn things every day I play - it's about always doing better. 

bOINKK
8 hours ago, N1mbuZ said:

I am tired of hearing this "Not friendly to new players" talk.

so 6 months into a wipe new players have to deal with fully geared people that have armor that a full clip of their bullets cant even penetrate.
they have skills to stop them taking as much damage or fractures which new players haven't.
they have face shields that new players cant get through .
they have armor piercing bullets that laughs at a new players level 2-4 armor. 

im level 17 just now, been playing for about a month and a half. even the best gear i can afford atm get smashed my these geared people.

i was running through the map with my best gear on and died to a grenade launcher. bad day when you spend all you have on gear to have it wiped away with people 3 times your level 

theg game all aff for people with more time than others. i wish there was some balance 1-20 lvl 20-40 lvl maps or something like that. 

ResoluteMike

Try some of the discord communities the different streamers have too.  This game is way better when you have people to play with. Especially bored level 40s who are happy to show you around and let you have the scav kills.