uljtimatum

New player frustration

uljtimatum

So basically I came here to vent as well as get an advice if anything can actually help me.

Just started playing recently about 2-3 days ago, and encountered a problem that I cant survive any high lvl player encounters, basically even if I get a drop on them they will still shrug off any damage thnx to high lvl armor and my low pen bullets, all the players that I managed to kill so far were about my lvl 1-7. I do my best to avoid pvp but it is sometimes impossible as you would imagine. Basically a question, am I doing something wrong ? and how would you (vet players) go by if you were in similar position ? maby there is some strat that I dont know about ? also is this gonna get "fixed" at some point ? because I would imagine this game will simply die if things will be left as it is, because no new players will be able to compete with vets and so there will be a small group of people playing and the game will just die out.

tmodelsk

Buy ingame headphones - then you'll start hearing a lot more.
IMO its the most important piece of equipment.
Use real headphones.
Take slow 'sneaky' approach, often go prone in bush (hide) & listen.
If sprinting - sprint in short burst, then listen. 

Customs is hard (high competition), try Shoreline or Interchange outside.

tmodelsk

Info about ammo below, IMO short advice: 
Use ammo that has at least 20 penetration or better, everything below is garbage (only for scavs).
30 penetration would be optimal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pp8tKScb0jB66cOCJSAlNn-iKERMXd9FVkSmSq83qn8/edit#gid=64053005

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_l-gYeSt2MqIw62EdMZt_wefG0yO9L7dTaRM74c2J1w/htmlview

https://tarkov-tools.com/ammo

uljtimatum

Well Iam already using said advice ( thnx YT) cant manage more than 500-1000 xp per "run", honestly feels as if Iam not even "playing" the game but rather exploiting it to get any scraps of xp out of it. Is it gonna be till 40 like that ? because the fact that I play against top geared players honestly feels more like an ingame bug than a feature, is this gonna get fixed ?

Alphamale0906

There is no advice you can take to help this remedy, you just have to keep grinding. The developers should and must make this a player level based game. I have read others comments with this same issue and it is only the arrogant veteran players who say that you need to stop complaining and get good. But the issue is if your under level 10 you have NO Chance at all against higher players. You dont have the option of flea market as they do and you are really limited to ammo and parts. Also if these higher level players were really any good they would be playing others at their so called skill level and not camp in maps at spawn points and instakill new players. I have A LOT of experience with this and it kills the game, its like using a hack to make yourself feel like you are truly any good. I am sorry to dump on you but I am feeling the same loss everytime I play and its just ignorant that the developers cannot enhance the game this way, to me it is just common sense.

davidj123456

Learn the maps, scav spawns, and extractions via online tools and offline mode.
Learn where the hot zones are as well as where pmc spawns are. Avoid them.
Learn how to do quests, money runs, where the loot is, and how to farm xp.
Only use good ammo. Never use anything with below 30 penetration. 
If your ammo has 30-42 penetration ideally aim for the face/head. If it has 43+ then you can aim for the torso and still get reliable kills.
If you need a team use the lfg function on the official discord or reddit.
If you need coaching go to sherpa.

If you need more info about the game go to youtube, twitch, discord, reddit, wiki, forums, battlebuddy app, etc.

Check out my info below. I am in a discord that helps coach new players. Add me on discord I will teach you the ropes and help you out!

uljtimatum

ok thx for answeres guys 

7 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

Check out my info below. I am in a discord that helps coach new players. Add me on discord I will teach you the ropes and help you out!

I think I will follow on your advice when I`ll have a bit more time available.

HYDA_SCARFACE

it will definitly feel like you cant win at times. you can shoot someone in the legs enough to kill them in this game. and also there is no armor for that area either. if you have sup-par ammo i would suggest to aim there. personally i find it exremely hard to aim for legs. but it does work! also learn from every unsucessfull raid. there is something you could of done differently. this is a very hard game. if you have patience and learn from mistakes  you will have a blast in this game!

uljtimatum
6 hours ago, HYDA_SCARFACE said:

it will definitly feel like you cant win at times. you can shoot someone in the legs enough to kill them in this game. and also there is no armor for that area either. if you have sup-par ammo i would suggest to aim there. personally i find it exremely hard to aim for legs. but it does work! also learn from every unsucessfull raid. there is something you could of done differently. this is a very hard game. if you have patience and learn from mistakes  you will have a blast in this game!

I havent played much but from what I have seen it is not a very hard game, instead its more like an MMORPG where you grind your way to the top, correct me if Iam wrong but it seems there is very little in terms of "skill" competition between players, instead in 90% of engagements players "compete" with their equipment rather than skill.

Zeroa
12 minutes ago, uljtimatum said:

I havent played much but from what I have seen it is not a very hard game, instead its more like an MMORPG where you grind your way to the top, correct me if Iam wrong but it seems there is very little in terms of "skill" competition between players, instead in 90% of engagements players "compete" with their equipment rather than skill.

In my opinion, I would very much say that this is an incorrect assumption BUT I get that it looks that way.  Gear can get someone a lucky chance by saving them from time to time but a skilled player will win most of the fights, even if they're naked with a pistol. As someone who has introduced and trained up quite a few new players I have seen them all go from believing the same as you, then realizing what they have to learn, and then learning more and more every raid.  And I've seen them (and myself) kill kitted out squads of player because we were smart about the engagement and knew what we were doing. And doing it solo too. 

The biggest caveat to playing Tarkov is that you must be willing to learn.
Guides help.
Videos help. 
Streams help.
Sherpas help.
Discords full of people help.
...and most importantly.. every death should help. Just gotta pay attention and learn.

Good luck!

GeneralBrus

Most ammo in tarkov is absolutely useless, so you need to get high pen ammo to defend yourself.

The first thing i do at a fresh wipe is just doing lootruns on reserve. There are a lot of places where you can find 120 round boxes of 5.45x39 BT, which is still not a good choice at fighting chads, but at least you can fight ppl wearing lvl4 armor now.

uljtimatum
5 hours ago, Zeroa said:

In my opinion, I would very much say that this is an incorrect assumption BUT I get that it looks that way.  Gear can get someone a lucky chance by saving them from time to time but a skilled player will win most of the fights, even if they're naked with a pistol. As someone who has introduced and trained up quite a few new players I have seen them all go from believing the same as you, then realizing what they have to learn, and then learning more and more every raid.  And I've seen them (and myself) kill kitted out squads of player because we were smart about the engagement and knew what we were doing. And doing it solo too. 

The biggest caveat to playing Tarkov is that you must be willing to learn.
Guides help.
Videos help. 
Streams help.
Sherpas help.
Discords full of people help.
...and most importantly.. every death should help. Just gotta pay attention and learn.

Good luck!

Maby, I just feel as if Iam playing "world of warcraft-modern fps edition" with all the skills crafting and gear "levels"

Kurywusaki

Desynch abuse.
Lag.
High level players camping noob spawnzones.
Totally imbalanced flashbang shotguns (only owned by high level players of course).
Stupid bullet pen system where shooting solid lead projectiles at someone equals shooting BB-gun pellets for whatever dumb reason.

I've been on the fence about Tarkov for a while now but I honestly don't see why I would pay €35 to boot up a noob bashing simulator.

The game looks like it is dying, only veterans enjoy it and any new players either get their skulls bashed in regularly until they lose the will to boot the game up.

Not a very balanced game if you ask me, and not a game that I feel like jumping in as a total newb with all the glitchers, abusers, imbalanced bullshit flashbangs etc.

On 11/18/2020 at 7:14 AM, Zeroa said:

Good luck!

Lol.

Sure mate, getting desynch killed, spawnkilled by a high level player or molested by flashbang shotgun wielding high level players offers you deaths that *should* help.

Hilarious.

Fix your freaking game, all I'm seeing is noob bashing and absolutely horrible ammo systems.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

davidj123456

I love it how new players assume every death is due to desync, hackers, and generally is not their fault.
I love it how new players think they are powerless to higher levels even though they get flea market, m80, and the kel tek rfk at level 10.
I love it how new players say the game is so hard to learn despite offline mode, sherpa, and the insane number of ways you can learn the game...

• Upvote 1

wernonwar

Well the game needs some time to learn. Try a game like dota. The learning curve is even harder :D (16 years of dota experience ;) although now they have guides)

one big difference is that there is a sherpa system and eft is also kinda like a hobby. Maybe a stupid hobby but a hobby. And it consumes time. But compared to any other hobby it doesnt take that long to get good.

played a lot of siege and I still sucked and left it. The difference to siege is that the younger faster player will get you. But in tarkov I can be sneaky. I can focus with hearing,  seeing and some gut feeling (which mostly get me killed :D)

yes there are cheaters (thank you for the person who could give me a headshot while I was jumping over a container at custom that was realistic:D)

as I stated in another thread with lvl 15 now I can already take out much higher lvl players.  Maybe not lvl 50 Chad's... highest are around 40. 

all I needed was lvl4 armor (fence) a mp5 with mediocre ammo.

what I personally dont like is that u got to grind to lvl 10 for flea market to make money and I think the quests are boring and hard to achieve for what u get. Only my opinion.

also why get a compass after finding hunter.... makes 0 sense! Woods is by far the most annoying map without nearly orientation....  after knowing woods i don t need a compass:D

regarding ammo just play scav u find good ammo all over the map. My stash is full of magazines and ammo. One click to see how much is it on flea market tells me if it sucks or if it s any good.

gamefinger

This game has many ways to get your xp up..   

Play more and find your comfort zone and comfort map. I love hitting shoreline doin as many places with scavs as possible on my way to exstract. Avoid the big loot places in the start, try to sneak around killing ai scavs as your priority and looting what you find on your way.    This way you get kill xp, loot xp and skill leveling.

xivition
22 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

I love it how new players assume every death is due to desync, hackers, and generally is not their fault.
I love it how new players think they are powerless to higher levels even though they get flea market, m80, and the kel tek rfk at level 10.
I love it how new players say the game is so hard to learn despite offline mode, sherpa, and the insane number of ways you can learn the game...

This. This. THIS.

All of my buds who get into the game do this, until I suggest they let me play 1 raid on their account with their gear to show them that it's not impossible so much as it's just them deflecting responsibility.

The desync abuse and hacker memes are starting to sound real ridiculous considering that I encounter like 1 hacker every 100 raids if I'm not playing labs and rarely die to desync.

• Like 1

WarMask

Yeah, it's sucks... The difficulty sucks. But honestly, really honestly... I LOVE HOW IT SUCKS THAT WAY!
I mean, this is really fun. You get your teeth smashed, but you can try again. And from time to time, you get lucky, and manage a 9mm kill on a level 41.
I keep the dogtags of my first kill in Tarkov. A level 41 dude I managed to headshot with a small pistol. Maybe not the Makarov, but I think the Soviet 9x19mm. Greska or whatever.
He just popped in front of me, like he KNEW EXACTLY WHERE I WAS. And I tried to empty my gun on him, he shot me too and one shot landed in his face, and he went down. I managed to survive somehow. Had to run to the exfil because I had black stomach and no water. Had to run like a maniac to get out before dying. It was in customs I believe.

Anyway, it sucked. I'm pretty good in FPS games, at least among my friends. But my computer is rather slow and my headset (in real life) isn't so accurate when it comes to sounds.

I feel like I'm half deaf and playing against players linked to a sonar operator. They just know exactly where I'm.

A tip for new players: You make a sound when you move from crosshair to no crosshair (from the hip). It's based on the ergonomics of your weapon.

So if you hear a noise, you hide, then you keep switching from aim mode to no aim, zoom to no zoom... You are making noises. And they will hear you and know where you are thanks to how simple noise travel in our actual games.

I just hope one day, they will learn to make sound travel through materials in a realistic way. We are not supposed to guess exactly where is the source of the noise.

So yeah, it sucks, but that's combat for you. First time I went to play airsoft, I got wasted like 10 times before learning to use my brains before acting. I'm so glad I was never deployed in a war. I would be soooo dead by now.

bogdan192

This is not the kind of game you want to play as a noob. Maps are difficult to master, it's full of campers and any scav can insta drop you without good gear. Raiders are neigh impossible to defeat unless you are lucky enough to carry really expensive ammo. Leveling is super hard due to the fact that the quests are designed by someone that doesn't play the game, they make no attempt to assist you  in learning the game, but send you on asinine hunts for random crap.

On top of that the game has many cheaters and breaking bugs, like raiders lasering you through walls, shotgun scavs head eyes you from hundreds of meters, sound working only with some headphones while others need constant tweaking (what worked one patch suddently doesnt in the next). This forces a very defensive play style from new/ungeared players that is not fun at all.

There are many threads in which experienced players try to explain how to counter these issues without the need for deep code rework, just management decisions like separate lobbies based on XP/gear, a reporting tool for hackers, decreasing accuracy of NPCs in lower tier lobbies, full rework of the quest system and fixing sound issues by using the same wall thickness in buildings, making high penetration ammo hard to obtain, limiting the number of grenades a player can carry etc.

But BSG has other plans, they are happy with just taking your money and doing their own thing.

Best advice I can give a new player thinking of taking up EFT now? Don't. You will be frustrated, angry and waste a lot of time for not much satisfaction.

If you already bought it, just wait for the next wipe to start playing. Or play in offline mode to learn the maps and have fun killing NPCs.

• Sad 1

wtornado

Why do you think so many people hack?

• Upvote 1

Zeroa
On 11/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, bogdan192 said:

...quests are designed by someone that doesn't play the game, they make no attempt to assist you  in learning the game, but send you on asinine hunts for random crap.

On top of that the game has many cheaters and breaking bugs, like raiders lasering you through walls, shotgun scavs head eyes you from hundreds of meters, sound working only with some headphones while others need constant tweaking (what worked one patch suddently doesnt in the next). This forces a very defensive play style from new/ungeared players that is not fun at all.

Best advice I can give a new player thinking of taking up EFT now? Don't. You will be frustrated, angry and waste a lot of time for not much satisfaction.

I really hope you are able to find a method to enjoy the game, but I would recommend anyone interested give it their own shot.  Everyone's experience is different. 

Having helped guide quite a number of new players through, I'd disagree about the Tasks.  They showcase a variety of maps, items, weapons, and skills.  Albeit without much explanation.  I'd also disagree with the forced playstyle and difficulty.  All new players should put a primary focus on map knowledge and, yes, expect to die. A lot.  But every single death should be teaching a lesson and over time, the survived raids will begin to add up, then the scav kills will add up, then the PMC kills will add up and then, I hope, you'll be able to help the next player.

Good luck. 

FamouZPT

I think we should be balanced per levels in same server and not level 3 against people with level +30 etc... 

Zeroa
8 minutes ago, FamouZPT said:

I think we should be balanced per levels in same server and not level 3 against people with level +30 etc... 

BSG has stated several times Escape From Tarkov will never include any form of matchmaking.  I would recommend newer players watching/reading guides to learn maps and practice these routes in offline, find other groups of players to run with via the Discords, and/or just play regardless and learn from death after death, heavily utilize scav runs. There's quite a few ways to go!

westsouthgate

What about being invited to a group to be insta teamkilled at the load of the game. Definitely abuse and should be punishable.

• Like 1

wernonwar

What did your mother told you as a kid? Don t trust strangers :D

but yeah it sucks...

• Like 1