Sign in to follow this  
D_Eagle

New Player: Holy s... is this game hard.

D_Eagle

Hi Guys.

just bought EFT on the black friday sale, and although im an older and experienced fps player, i have to say this is the hardest game i have ever played.

Im only concentrating on customs and factory so far, so i can at least learn 2 maps....

Offline at Customs: 0 out of 10 tries survived (and thats offline), i am taking it slow and so far i had many  times where i simply cant find the extract points in time...

Scavrun at Factory: 4/10 tries survived... got some stuff to sell and started upgrading hideout.

hope i  can continue seeing this as a challenge and not a annoyance...

PS: yes, i have maps up on a second monitor.. still loosing my ways :P

Just wanted to say i am loving it!!

Regards

D.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

SPOOKYg00K

good luck friend, it sometimes can get really annoying as well as adrenaline pounding.  you'll bump into a very diverse range of players who can and will use a variety of tactics at the micro and macro level.   From the solo killing machines to the group of bumbling newbies- it'll either leave you frustrated or wake you the heck up.

biggest problem is that a lot of players are running pretty geared up so what you need to keep in mind is about cost efficiency on any gear you run in.  sometimes people would not even bother with armor- or at least a paca to defend against the scavs.   but ya definitely look up guides to help.

GhostZ69
44 minutes ago, D_Eagle said:

Hi Guys.

just bought EFT on the black friday sale, and although im an older and experienced fps player, i have to say this is the hardest game i have ever played.

Im only concentrating on customs and factory so far, so i can at least learn 2 maps....

Offline at Customs: 0 out of 10 tries survived (and thats offline), i am taking it slow and so far i had many  times where i simply cant find the extract points in time...

Scavrun at Factory: 4/10 tries survived... got some stuff to sell and started upgrading hideout.

Regards

D.

There are a TON of great resources here on the forums.  A lot of great new player advice.  I suggest changing your scav runs from Factory to Customs.  In fact, I would not bother with Factory at all until you have customs down pat.  Even then there are a lot better maps to learn.  Search the forums for "New player advice" or something along those lines. 

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the game.  The most abusive relationship you will ever be in!

D_Eagle

Factory seems to be the easiest and smallest map, i think i already know the paths and most exits. Its just to provide some gear once my PMC looses it.  If there is another map that can fill up my invent in 5 min, id try it but customs is HUGE.   Anyway, i now figured that you can see the scav loadout before you join a game, so factory is only for cqc gear from now on :)

Munition vs. Amor seems to be rather complicated, the Ammo guide is a chart worth a bachelor thesis....

Thanks for the advice, ill check closer in the forums

Regards

D,

vampy

i love this game i enjoy it very much

gunchap

everyone keeps on suggesting Customs, but tbf, now that I've played most maps, I have it much easier to go on farm raids in Shoreline. just don't go to the resort, that's instant death. I usually get 1-5 scav kills with my route and a nice amount of hidden stash loot and random loot. 
Customs seems a bit random and a bit harder to escape with the loot, as there are some chockepoints that you need to cross and it usually ends badly. 

Factory is a 50/50 for me, but I farm it mostly with scavs. sometimes I get like 5 escapes with bags of stuff and sometimes I can't escape 10times in a row. 

jockmcplop
1 hour ago, gunchap said:

everyone keeps on suggesting Customs, but tbf, now that I've played most maps, I have it much easier to go on farm raids in Shoreline. just don't go to the resort, that's instant death. I usually get 1-5 scav kills with my route and a nice amount of hidden stash loot and random loot. 
Customs seems a bit random and a bit harder to escape with the loot, as there are some chockepoints that you need to cross and it usually ends badly. 

Factory is a 50/50 for me, but I farm it mostly with scavs. sometimes I get like 5 escapes with bags of stuff and sometimes I can't escape 10times in a row. 

Yeah the circular route round the outside of interchange has some high quality loot in those stashes too, and is 'fairly' safe if you hide for the first few minutes of the raid.

D_Eagle

Well, i have now around 20 runs on customs with my PMC and i still only survived 1.  Doesnt matter if i take it slow or fast or in between, someone is always in my way to the exits.  I know, i know... gotta get gud!

Still, what a learning curve this game is...   i wonder how many players it could have if the first few  quests where in a bit more protected enviroment. 

Oh, and there seem to be ~8 scav on gas station? holy what?

jockmcplop
3 hours ago, D_Eagle said:

Well, i have now around 20 runs on customs with my PMC and i still only survived 1.  Doesnt matter if i take it slow or fast or in between, someone is always in my way to the exits.  I know, i know... gotta get gud!

Still, what a learning curve this game is...   i wonder how many players it could have if the first few  quests where in a bit more protected enviroment. 

Oh, and there seem to be ~8 scav on gas station? holy what?

You are at a pretty massive disadvantage because:

a) You are playing solo with no help from anyone against squads

b) Its late into a wipe so everyone has the best gear and ammo and you aren't going to be able to get that

c) Everyone has some pretty high player skill levels (xp) so everything is easier for them... Stamina, aiming, health, recoil control, it all just works better for other people.

My advice would be to go to the discord and find a sherpa to guide you through for a while. Its the one thing I regret not doing because it took so long to learn the game while disadvantaged compared to everyone else.

Also when I started I basically played the game like splinter cell, just hiding and not engaging anyone. moving from heavy cover to heavy cover without sprinting (everyone can hear you sprinting from miles away, just try to avoid it unless you have to go through a well lit open area). Its still super hard to get those early customs missions done late into a wipe.

• Upvote 3

PeskyMaus
6 hours ago, D_Eagle said:

Still, what a learning curve this game is...   i wonder how many players it could have if the first few  quests where in a bit more protected environment.

Learning Customs first is good. Most quests start in Customs. My tips:
- Focus 100% on completing quests. Don't worry about loot, just do quests to get to level 10 asap.
- Only night time in Customs, scavs won't shoot you and you only need to worry about PMCs of which there aren't many
- Change servers to empty servers, more loot, less PMCs, less death, more quests, more level, easier time overall
- Don't do Factory - you will get insta-gibbed even before your spawn 'black' has evaporated. It's a map with horrible spawn points, stay away until you have level 5 or 6 armor. Never play factory at night unless you have 1 million to invest in guns and night vision and armor.
- If you have to do Factory for your quest, hatchet run it to the quest location (put toolbox in your secure container). Hide for 5 minutes until the shooting stops and you can't hear anything anymore, wait until 'the' PMC survivor walks past your hiding spot, then it's safe to do all quests. Sometimes you have to wait 10 minutes before you can start moving.
- Remember, EVERYTHING you do will result in you being noticed and results in your death. Move around quickly? People *will* hear it, and nade you. Open inventory? Nade. No silencer? All snipers in the map will hunt you if you shoot anything. No silenced headshot, and scav returns first? All snipers in the map will hunt you and kill you.
- Customs is one of the harder maps because of choke points. If you spawn on the west side (big red) immediately run over the river as that's the only point that is choked - stay away from old gas station, there's nothing there (no loot) and it's easy to camp there so you'll get shot easily. There's a map with a 'green' route and 'red' zones for customs, use it and stay on the green paths. Red = dead.
- You have 0 chance against better players, it's mainly because they wear armor that stops 100% of your bullets, and they have 1500$ per round ammo that will ignore yours. 2 shots max you are dead. 10 shots from you won't even hurt them. Don't shoot PMCs unless you are 100% sure you will one-shot them with a headshot e.g. wait until they look at map/loot/open a door. Even then, their helmet could save them and if it does - you die.

There's 100 more things but the above should get you started :)

• Upvote 1

Kurywusaki

Let's see :

- Extraction points not working causing you, a new player, to lose gear making life even harder than it already is.
- People that headshot you from across the map while you were prone in a bush.
- Five man teams ganking obviously low level players without gear - I hope each and every one of you gets hemorrhoids.
- People camping extraction points.
- People abusing desynch
- People blatantly cheating
- Incredibly dull and unimaginative quests designed to artificially prolong the game 'Go to x and gather X' wow guys, very imaginative!

This game is bs, four years of development for this? A rage simulator that pits neckbeard tryhards against lvl 1 players that haven't a clue as to where they just spawned on the map.

No tutorial whatsoever, no way to look this up in game and everything you find online, even in the 'official tarkov wiki' is outdated AF and thus useless.

How is this pos still alive?

Kilizly
On 11/27/2020 at 9:20 PM, D_Eagle said:

Hi Guys.

Regards

D.

All the best brother and apply for sherpa , they can join and teach u about the game a bit

• Like 1

Kurywusaki

I just got shot by a guy while I was sitting in a bush right after spawning in as a PMC.

Moved to the bush, was checking my inventory, was completely invisible and yet suddenly some guy throws a flashbang and shoots me.

I'm getting sick of this game.

gunchap
38 minutes ago, Kurywusaki said:

I just got shot by a guy while I was sitting in a bush right after spawning in as a PMC.

Moved to the bush, was checking my inventory, was completely invisible and yet suddenly some guy throws a flashbang and shoots me.

I'm getting sick of this game.

I have so many issues with this game, but when it works it's epic. I'm still hoping the devs are doing their job to make awesome.

Kurywusaki

Nah, I'm done with it.

This isn't a game, it's torture.

D_Eagle

Well, im progressing in my Quests, starting to get comfortable with Customs (at least i most of the time know where i spawn)... and then i went to Interchange on a scav run.. Holy cow is this map even bigger and even much more confusing.

How many hours will it take to learn the maps at least to a point where i know where i am at spawn and where the exits are?

PS reallly considering Sherpa service, but im not yet there, i want to learn what i can, will apply when i get frustated :)

jockmcplop
16 minutes ago, D_Eagle said:

Well, im progressing in my Quests, starting to get comfortable with Customs (at least i most of the time know where i spawn)... and then i went to Interchange on a scav run.. Holy cow is this map even bigger and even much more confusing.

How many hours will it take to learn the maps at least to a point where i know where i am at spawn and where the exits are?

PS reallly considering Sherpa service, but im not yet there, i want to learn what i can, will apply when i get frustated :)

I've been playing for 3 months and I got lost yesterday looking for drones on shoreline. I haven't even played labs or reserve yet.

Edited by jockmcplop

Tertrash

I have 300+ h in this game, took a year off and week ago started playing again. I can tell you that in the early levels this game is annoying even for more experienced players, especially when the level gap is so big. I have looted some bitcoins and lots of other valuable items, but can't buy anything with it due to idiotic level restrictions and leveling is SOOO SLOW now. Basically every new player is forced to play with the crappiest equipment, you can't even buy a proper sight for crappy sks. You are basically unable to compete with higher level players.

Mission design is still dog poo; I will not play on customs because I don't like this map, but if I don't play it, I can't progress with the vendors besides I have already completed these tasks at least once or twice after previous wipes. Why are there so few tasks for low level characters?

At this point, this game is as difficult as it is annoying and it getting more and more annoying. I had a lot more fun playing this game a year ago and I don't think it was easier back then. Tarkov becoming mmo game; grind, grind, a ton of grind. I wish there was an option to just buy levels and upgrade vendors for in-game cash.

Edited by Tertrash

AlJabberwock

@D_Eagle, Great to hear you are progressing!  But you ARE doing it the hard way. 

Yeah, it can be a daunting task when it takes dozens to hundreds of deaths to "really" learn a map.  Right now you have _some familiarity_ with one.  Still, you have gotten some pretty good advice from @jockmcplop and @PeskyMaus and the map you are becoming familiar with IS the first one you really need to know as best you can.  You are doing REALLY good things.  :)

I have played for 3 YEARS and can still be surprised on some maps by what elite levels of strength can allow someone to discover as a new bushwack .  Don't fear the reaper (do fear the REAP -more on that later)  - we all still die all the time and it is how you learn in this game.  

I am going to tell you three things that I and my group having played for 3 YEARS think about when we talk to new players. 

1)Watch A LOT of Streamer player videos.  Standards are folks like Pestily, Deadly Slob, and so on... Get some gameplay in with a SHERPA or better, a group of regular players who are EXPERIENCED.   Experienced here means probably a year or more.  Our group did it the old-school hard way - we learned it on the STREETS Boi... lol !  No Sherpa program back then, and of course, no players with a year of experience.  NO one knew any damned thing, heh.  'Course there was less to know back then, so we had arguably a far more graduated curve than madmen like you joining at this point have.  GOOD ON YA! 

2) As soon as you can feel comfortable playing regularly with others, do that.  You don't have to be good, you don't have to be knowledgeable.  FInd a group, clan, or hang on the official DIscord server, and go in from there with some players you can get to know.  You will learn loads and the right kinds of groups and players will help you (probably telling you a lot of the things you read in the posts above this one).  

3)Remember this one thing that many players forget or never learn properly:  ANY thing you do in game other than staying ABSOLUTELY still and carefully using free look to turn your head will make noise (the best advice when trying to be quiet really is DON'T TOUCH THAT FING MOUSE!!!).  With elite levels of stealth and perception, other players WILL hear you look at your inventory, change your sight setting, aim, stop aiming, swivel an inch, etc, from surprisingly far away, and approach you with speed, seemingly silently, and shoot you in  your hidey hole.  You may be in your 'secret bush' unmoving, but if  you are on a hillside, or unfortunate angle, cause the bush to seemingly constantly make noise, -BUT OFTEN YOU WON'T HEAR IT- because that is the current state of the design of the sound system.  Bushes can be handy to hide in, but even being completely silent won't save you from a  player using the REAP IR scope which will indicate  your presence through the tiniest seperation amongst the leaves.

Best wishes to you, Oh Madman of the LATE WIPE-OCALYPSE newbies!  Learn, Find your Group, be F'ing Quiet!  You are ABSOLUTELY learning in the most difficult setting, and like those medeival practice swords and shields a thousand years ago,  your current learning tools will make you a very very dangerous player as you shed their unreasonable weights.  :) ~Al    

Edited by AlJabberwock
  • Like 1