Jump to content
_Mordred_

Matchmaking. Quest. Server.

Recommended Posts

_Mordred_

I've been playing Tarkov for two weeks now and have already done the first account upgrade from the basic version to the Left Behind version. I'm in love with this game, but I have to know a few things: Is it normal to hit someone 6/7 times (controlled by the hit count at the end of the raid) with some BTs or BSs and not knock them down, and to be one shotted like nothing, not even to the head, having level 3/4 armor?

Then sometimes it gets really frustrating to do quests if there are level 50/60 players with level 5 players. I realize we're in advanced wipe, from what I've read, but that's too much, Every time I see a player I know that I will die without being able to do anything. I'm not a game designer nor a developer, but matchmaking like this is a bit frustrating. I hope that in the full version of the game they consider this.

The quests are truly cryptic. Without the wiki in your reach you don't know where to go very often. Having to consult a wiki to understand what to do is not a good thing for a game and it doesn't make it "hardcore", it is simply a serious minus.

The servers are annoyingly slow at times and the lag makes it very often unplayable (I've died many times because of him, damn)

 

That said I would like to hear what Tarkov veterans (who surely know more), but also other newbies like me (who may have encountered the same problems) say.

 

No trolls or "pro-players"  with their git gud haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456

Please use the search function before posting as this has been posted millions of times... and every single time the answer is NO...

EFT will never ever have matchmaking. Period. BSG and Nikita have said this hundreds of times. EFT is meant to be hardcore, punishing, unforgiving, and unpredictable. A matchmaking system either disrupts or completely removes these things. As such it will never happen.

EFT is not meant to appeal to casual players or to players who can't be asked to learn how to play, as Nikita said in a Podcast.

With this being said, there are tons of sources of information where you can improve and learn how to play including:
Sherpa Program
Discord
Wiki
Forums
Reddit
YouTube
Twitch
BattleBuddy App
Offline Mode
And many more!

It really is not that hard. No to matchmaking. It will never happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCaZx
17 minutes ago, davidj123456 said:

Please use the search function before posting as this has been posted millions of times... and every single time the answer is NO...

EFT will never ever have matchmaking. Period. BSG and Nikita have said this hundreds of times. EFT is meant to be hardcore, punishing, unforgiving, and unpredictable. A matchmaking system either disrupts or completely removes these things. As such it will never happen.

EFT is not meant to appeal to casual players or to players who can't be asked to learn how to play, as Nikita said in a Podcast.

With this being said, there are tons of sources of information where you can improve and learn how to play including:
Sherpa Program
Discord
Wiki
Forums
Reddit
YouTube
Twitch
BattleBuddy App
Offline Mode
And many more!

It really is not that hard. No to matchmaking. It will never happen!

My understanding is the long term vision for this game is even more hardcore than it is currently. So, I sort of understand the idea behind never including matchmaking. 

That said, as a fairly new player myself, the deck is severely stacked against new people and I am sure it turns alot of people off from the game. Between not having access to a variety of weapons from the traders, no access to the flea market, and just in general being new and likely bad at the game, new players have a hell of a time getting better. Granted, alot of that can be attributed to needing to learn the maps, spawns and what not, but the gear/gun situation deserves mentioning. 

Better players are going to consistently beat newer players, no doubt, but having the correct gear, ammo, and guns greatly evens the playing field. A good example is having picked up a kitted out M1A with good ammo from a PMC. I was able to use that gun to get several player kills and many scav kills, over 3-4 raids, before I ended up dying. Up until I got that gun I was having a hard time even killing scavs. That was when I realized what a difference having a decent gun, sight and ammo makes. That isn't to say I am going to consistently kill better players but it helps ALOT. 

Now the problem is as a newer player you cant afford those guns (even once you unlock the flea market) and you also have a mountain to climb when it comes to leveling up your traders and player level so you can access that better gear. IMO, level based match making may not be right for this game, but some sort of online PVP mode for newer players to learn in would make alot of sense. The solution seems simple enough to me. You make it similar to offline mode but allow people to play together and maybe limit it to people under level say 15. So, they cant keep loot or whatever but they can still practice and learn the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456
1 hour ago, xCaZx said:

My understanding is the long term vision for this game is even more hardcore than it is currently. So, I sort of understand the idea behind never including matchmaking. 

That said, as a fairly new player myself, the deck is severely stacked against new people and I am sure it turns alot of people off from the game. Between not having access to a variety of weapons from the traders, no access to the flea market, and just in general being new and likely bad at the game, new players have a hell of a time getting better. Granted, alot of that can be attributed to needing to learn the maps, spawns and what not, but the gear/gun situation deserves mentioning. 

Better players are going to consistently beat newer players, no doubt, but having the correct gear, ammo, and guns greatly evens the playing field. A good example is having picked up a kitted out M1A with good ammo from a PMC. I was able to use that gun to get several player kills and many scav kills, over 3-4 raids, before I ended up dying. Up until I got that gun I was having a hard time even killing scavs. That was when I realized what a difference having a decent gun, sight and ammo makes. That isn't to say I am going to consistently kill better players but it helps ALOT. 

Now the problem is as a newer player you cant afford those guns (even once you unlock the flea market) and you also have a mountain to climb when it comes to leveling up your traders and player level so you can access that better gear. IMO, level based match making may not be right for this game, but some sort of online PVP mode for newer players to learn in would make alot of sense. The solution seems simple enough to me. You make it similar to offline mode but allow people to play together and maybe limit it to people under level say 15. So, they cant keep loot or whatever but they can still practice and learn the game.

Money is insanely easy to farm in EFT especially this wipe. Look up money runs for Interchange and Reserve and just do them with a pistol.
As for guns... you unlock the Kel Tek RFB and M80 ammo at Player Level 10 as well as the Flea Market. Level 10 isn't that hard to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Mordred_
3 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

Please use the search function before posting as this has been posted millions of times... and every single time the answer is NO...

EFT will never ever have matchmaking. Period. BSG and Nikita have said this hundreds of times. EFT is meant to be hardcore, punishing, unforgiving, and unpredictable. A matchmaking system either disrupts or completely removes these things. As such it will never happen.

EFT is not meant to appeal to casual players or to players who can't be asked to learn how to play, as Nikita said in a Podcast.

With this being said, there are tons of sources of information where you can improve and learn how to play including:
Sherpa Program
Discord
Wiki
Forums
Reddit
YouTube
Twitch
BattleBuddy App
Offline Mode
And many more!

It really is not that hard. No to matchmaking. It will never happen!

Sorry for the topic. I guess there are dozens of them every day like that.

I didn't know the developers' statements about matchmaking cause i'm just playing the game, but I can understand why they don't want to implement it. I also agree on having to learn the strategies, ok. Even if I can't watch videos and stuff to learn it as I don't have all that free time. Money is made very easily it is true (weapons and ammunition etc. too).
But having to consult something external to the game (the wiki) to understand the quests is a flaw for now imo. I hope they'll fix it. Cause one thing is hardcore and another is incomrehensible

As for the lag, well I don't think it's up to me as I have a more than good PC (even if it's a secondary problem for now)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456
30 minutes ago, _Mordred_ said:

Sorry for the topic. I guess there are dozens of them every day like that.

I didn't know the developers' statements about matchmaking cause i'm just playing the game, but I can understand why they don't want to implement it. I also agree on having to learn the strategies, ok. Even if I can't watch videos and stuff to learn it as I don't have all that free time. Money is made very easily it is true (weapons and ammunition etc. too).
But having to consult something external to the game (the wiki) to understand the quests is a flaw for now imo. I hope they'll fix it. Cause one thing is hardcore and another is incomrehensible

As for the lag, well I don't think it's up to me as I have a more than good PC (even if it's a secondary problem for now)

 

Desync, Stutters, and so on are considerable issues but honestly they are rendered less painful than otherwise since everyone suffers from them. Sometimes you will die due to desync and other times you will get a kill due to desync. But it is annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCaZx
17 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

Money is insanely easy to farm in EFT especially this wipe. Look up money runs for Interchange and Reserve and just do them with a pistol.
As for guns... you unlock the Kel Tek RFB and M80 ammo at Player Level 10 as well as the Flea Market. Level 10 isn't that hard to get.

Level 10 is a little harder to get, as an actual new player, than it is for someone who has played alot prior to a wipe. I watched a video of a guy who hit level 7 in like 40 minutes..while it took me like a week and a half or more. 

I bought the game in I think April of 2019, but I only played a handful of raids back then and only recently started playing again. I had a heck of a time getting to level 10. Its a terrible grind when you are not very good, don't know the maps, and are generally using not great weaponry...and you are playing against people with million dollar kits and the best ammunition you can buy. 

I understand some of the draw to the game is learning all of this information, its part of what keeps me coming back, but I also feel like some of you with thousands of hours played have forgotten just how difficult it is to get started and I am confident that EFT does lose players to this problem. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456
1 hour ago, xCaZx said:

Level 10 is a little harder to get, as an actual new player, than it is for someone who has played alot prior to a wipe. I watched a video of a guy who hit level 7 in like 40 minutes..while it took me like a week and a half or more. 

I bought the game in I think April of 2019, but I only played a handful of raids back then and only recently started playing again. I had a heck of a time getting to level 10. Its a terrible grind when you are not very good, don't know the maps, and are generally using not great weaponry...and you are playing against people with million dollar kits and the best ammunition you can buy. 

I understand some of the draw to the game is learning all of this information, its part of what keeps me coming back, but I also feel like some of you with thousands of hours played have forgotten just how difficult it is to get started and I am confident that EFT does lose players to this problem. 

 

Please enlighten me where all these people with meta gear are? When I play on EU servers I only see 1 every 8 or so raids. The vast majority of my enemies have level 4 armor and use ammo with 30-45 penetration...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCaZx
2 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

Please enlighten me where all these people with meta gear are? When I play on EU servers I only see 1 every 8 or so raids. The vast majority of my enemies have level 4 armor and use ammo with 30-45 penetration...

Everyone seems geared when the best thing you can afford (IF you can afford it) is PACA armor and some crappy Vepr you got from a scav run and cant afford to mod it at all. 

But nooooo, you are right, everyone should just get good and stop crying about it. 

Edited by xCaZx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456
1 hour ago, xCaZx said:

Everyone seems geared when the best thing you can afford (IF you can afford it) is PACA armor and some crappy Vepr you got from a scav run and cant afford to mod it at all. 

But nooooo, you are right, everyone should just get good and stop crying about it. 

You mean the Vepr 7.62x39 that you can load with PS ammo from Prapor LL1 which does decently against level 4 armor, can face-tap enemies, and can penetrate most helmets people use in this game...? I do not see your point...?
Something like 70% of my enemies have Level 4 armor. If you have 7.62x39mm PS in a Vepr AK it isn't that horrible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kthelmir

Ofc there is matchmaking... Every time you join a raid there is a matchmaking process in the background. Its just not working to a specific parameter you can influence on your end, like lets say only lvl 10-20 players or something like that. I am sure there is however hidden algorithms at work here.

Edited by Kthelmir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomVyper
On 11/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, davidj123456 said:

Please use the search function before posting as this has been posted millions of times... and every single time the answer is NO...

EFT will never ever have matchmaking. Period. BSG and Nikita have said this hundreds of times. EFT is meant to be hardcore, punishing, unforgiving, and unpredictable. A matchmaking system either disrupts or completely removes these things. As such it will never happen.
 

None of the things that you are defending make the game more "hardcore", in fact it makes it the exact opposite.

When a squad of lvl 20 or 30+'s can farm low level solo players that haven't even got decent map knowledge, with impunity it doesn't make them "hardcore" it makes them seal clubbers.

If what you really wanted was a truly hardcore game you wouldn't be opposed to matchmaking because going against these types of players takes 0 effort. But you don't, you hide behind the "muh harcore gam3z" when what you really wan't is easier matchups for yourself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456
2 hours ago, PhantomVyper said:

None of the things that you are defending make the game more "hardcore", in fact it makes it the exact opposite.

When a squad of lvl 20 or 30+'s can farm low level solo players that haven't even got decent map knowledge, with impunity it doesn't make them "hardcore" it makes them seal clubbers.

If what you really wanted was a truly hardcore game you wouldn't be opposed to matchmaking because going against these types of players takes 0 effort. But you don't, you hide behind the "muh harcore gam3z" when what you really wan't is easier matchups for yourself.

I hide behind it...? What I am saying is what Nikita and the entire BSG dev team have been saying over and over 24/7...lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Mordred_

If the developers have said that there won't be matchmaking it's their choice not to be influenced by the market. Obviously they care about the purity of their product, which today is to be appreciated honestly, in particular in games industry. They certainly know that many people will be turned away.

Then if the game makes you feel frustrated and angry, maybe it means that it's not for you (I say this with the utmost tranquility, don't take it as an affront please). A game must entertain. That it has some things that don't work, remember that it's a beta and that the perfect game that everyone agrees on will never exist.

Then I personally didn't see arrogance in the answers of davidj123456. He just answered a few things I asked, as I don't follow the developers' statements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Mordred_
17 hours ago, Kthelmir said:

Ofc there is matchmaking... Every time you join a raid there is a matchmaking process in the background. Its just not working to a specific parameter you can influence on your end, like lets say only lvl 10-20 players or something like that. I am sure there is however hidden algorithms at work here.

You are right. By matchmaking I mean level-based matchmaking.

My mistake, I had to specify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCaZx
17 hours ago, davidj123456 said:

You mean the Vepr 7.62x39 that you can load with PS ammo from Prapor LL1 which does decently against level 4 armor, can face-tap enemies, and can penetrate most helmets people use in this game...? I do not see your point...?
Something like 70% of my enemies have Level 4 armor. If you have 7.62x39mm PS in a Vepr AK it isn't that horrible...

Yeah, that Vepr, the one that shoots single shot and has a 10 round mag by default. Can it kill with well placed headshots? absolutely. Is it still at a major disadvantage in its barebones stock mode? Also yes. 

A newb with a Vepr is going to get stomped by a more seasoned player 95 times out of a 100 with the other 5 being mostly lucky headshots. 

The Vepr has the potential to be somewhat of an equalizer for newish players once they understand how and can afford to slightly modify those weapons they pickup. But, even then, there is a very good reason most experienced players wouldn't use even a pimped out Vepr. Its cause while it isn't "that bad" it also isn't "that good". 

 

Edited by xCaZx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidj123456
15 minutes ago, xCaZx said:

Yeah, that Vepr, the one that shoots single shot and has a 10 round mag by default. Can it kill with well placed headshots? absolutely. Is it still at a major disadvantage in its barebones stock mode? Also yes. 

A newb with a Vepr is going to get stomped by a more seasoned player 95 times out of a 100 with the other 5 being mostly lucky headshots. 

The Vepr has the potential to be somewhat of an equalizer for newish players once they understand how and can afford to slightly modify those weapons they pickup. But, even then, there is a very good reason most experienced players wouldn't use even a pimped out Vepr. Its cause while it isn't "that bad" it also isn't "that good". 

 

Why not? I use pimped out Vepr's with 7.62x39mm BP quite often. I rather like the gun. I think it is quite good.

Also this is only until level 10... at level 10 you unlock flea market where you can get anything you want... and money is insanely easy to farm this wipe... you also unlock the kel-tek rfb with m80 which can contest the vast majority of enemies you encounter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2