Kinky_Devil

Low GPU Usage after recent Patches

Kinky_Devil

Hey Guys,

Hope someone here can assist me in the matter. I bought a 3080 end of October, and EFT was better than ever hitting Fps Cap on all maps with a few dips to 105-121 Fps here and there. 

After recent patches im Hitting 27-35 Fps and the game is not using 30% of my Gpu. before i would use at least 80% Gpu and 60-70% Cpu. i have tried re doing Nvidia Drivers , tested with a few other Drivers up until the latest Driver.  when i enter the raid Gpu sits at 80-90% Gpu usage and fps at around 100-122Fps and 15 or so seconds later you can see the Gpu ramping down to around 500-900Mhz. where as it was usually 1980Mhz +-. so im not sure if it's tarkov or Nvidia. But all other games is using 90% plus GPU . this only happens in tarkov.  Low or High Settings FPS stays the same. Note when i Hit Max Fps cap i was running everything on Ultra etc. This is Not thermals or Bottle Necking

Pc Specs

I9 10900K

64GB 4200Mhz Ram

1Tb Samsung Nvme Drive

3080 Nvidia Tuf Model

1200 Watt Psu

Resolution 2560*1440

Other games is maxing Fps.

Start_of_Raid.png

20 Seconds In.png

• Like 1

derised

I may have had a similar issue as you a couple weeks ago not to sure.
I believe I fixed mine by clearing all my temp/cache folders not only bsg/tarkov temp files.

derised

I believe this is what fixed it for me theres some other stuff in there too but I linked it at the time he shows clearing your temp files

Bobflob6

Im under experienced when it comes to pc gaming. Quick questions... why would you want 90%+ GPU usage when playing a game? Doesn't that put unnecessary stress on your card? I haven't checked my gpu usage for my nvidia "msi" 2080 super, but can that information help you out?

Hope you can find a fix soon. Also... thanks ahead of time for answering my questions. =]

Kinky_Devil
7 minutes ago, Bobflob6 said:

Im under experienced when it comes to pc gaming. Quick questions... why would you want 90%+ GPU usage when playing a game? Doesn't that put unnecessary stress on your card? I haven't checked my gpu usage for my nvidia "msi" 2080 super, but can that information help you out?

Hope you can find a fix soon. Also... thanks ahead of time for answering my questions. =]

It's not that i want 90%+ Gpu Usage i just want my game to go back to Max Fps. Currently im getting 25-27Fps in game with 25% Gpu utilization 

Bobflob6

Ah i see now. Yeah that shouldn't happen. Did the video the user posted help at all?

Kinky_Devil

Still no one with any news ? or advice? Video Mentioned  above did nothing to GPU usage or fps .. see images. High Fps is a few days ago was playing labs. 122 Fps cap all the time. second photo took just now again  low Fps and Gpu usage at 28%

2020-12-02[20-39]_-9.2, 28.4, -191.7_0.0, 0.6, 0.0, 0.8_13.58 (0).png

Few days ago.jpg

aXept

I just have a 2070 super, but I also got some kind of the issue.. When started the raid, fps was good.. And a minute or so later it was bad, 40-50.. Gpu usage was 30-40%..

Tried alot of ingame settings, nothing helped. Went to nvidia experience and let it optimize my game.. Now my gpu run at 90+% and fps is back as it should be.. Settings are probably bad, fps wise, since all is on high, almost. But have not touched it, don't want to mess it up again.. Hehe. 

Edited by aXept

Kinky_Devil

I tried that just now, still getting mid 20's Fps, no matter the settings it's like the game is not using the GPU at all. Gpu hovers around 500-700 Clock Mhz, and 5000 Mhz Mem Clock.

Static_21x

this game is horribly optimized i use to have a 3900x paired with a Titan RTX and just like most people in this thread i would start off with 120fps then hit a stutter and drop down to 80-100fps then a minute later drop down to 40-60 fps. Now i have a 5900x paired with a RTX 3090 and it is still the same story. i honestly do not understand how this is a thing the game has been in ducking alpha forever you would think they would iron this poo out. 

doggrips

I've got the same issue with a 3060Ti, really hope they will fix it but I higly doubt it. Really sucks because the game is unplayable like this.

NickBHigh

Having the exact same issue, it's driving me nuts.. 

5960x @ 4.6ghz

32gb ram @ 3200mhz 1T-12-12-12-24

MSI gaming x trio RTX 3080

500gb samsung 970 evo plus NVMe

1440p 

The raid starts perfectly fine, 144fps, I run around for like 1 minute, big stutter, and it drops to 80-90fps, the gpu drops from 330 watts to 250watts, then it does it again down to 60fpsish, sometimes even lower 40-50 and 120 -160 watts. 

I have tried everything I can possibly do. 

Fresh windows install, fresh game install, followed the video guide above, tried multiple different nvidia drivers with DDUs, even changed my cpu OC which has been rock solid for over a year. All of my settings are good.

Just a month ago I was getting solid 144-120fps the entire raid with small dips to 90-100 when raiders/scavs load in and what not.

I have been searching the internet all day and I'm so happy I found others with the similar issue (sorry haha).  Would love to know if anything finds a fix to this. I'm going to send a video to Nikita possibly depending how long this goes..

• Like 1

Dillbag

Having the exact same issue. Picked up a 3080 the other day and figured I'd try EFT again with the new card, upgrading from a 1080. The 1080 was giving me better frames back in September.

Checking clock speed the 3080 never goes above idle speeds and will only reach =<39% GPU utilization. 

I play on 1440p 144Hz

32gb 3000mhz ram

Ryzen 3700x

stored on samsung 970 evo m.2

One of these patches really must have throw something off if my 1080 was performing better a few months ago while simultaneously  streaming to my friends.

Game will run okay for a 3080 (100 fps) to start the raid , within 1 min, drops to sub 60 fps and stays consistent there

• Like 2

cmd_boild

I strongly assume that this is an issue in general with RTX 3080.

I never had this issue with a Radeon 5700XT.  To be honest, I think it would be better to use the 5700XT for Tarkov instead of the RTX 3080 😡

After entering a match, the game runs ok for about 60 seconds with max FPS (about 120) but then FPS drop to 40-50 within 5 minutes.

Cooling isnt the reason for this.

Here is what I tried:

I used the tool GPU-Z to get closer to the issue and i've found something strange.

In GPU-Z you can log the statistics like clock speed, voltage, power usage of your GPU to a txt-file.

In the game menus and during loading process the GPU clock speed is set to about 1905 MHz and power consumption is about 140 Watts. Right when you spawn and graphics start to render the GPU is set to boost mode (1965 MHz), and power consumption increases to about 200 Watts. Sounds normal, and thats the period of time when i get max FPS of about 120.

But then after 60 seconds in game the GPU clock speed decreases to 1905 MHz and power consumption decreases to 140 Watts. Just like the GPU fails to recognize that it I am still in-game.

Ive already tried to update drivers, checked the cooling, optimized graphics settings following this guide: https://youtu.be/J21cz6082lo including setting the power managemend mode in Nvidia control panel to maximum performance. nothing helped...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NickBHigh

@cmd_boild I've seen the exact same thing in gpu Z. It's like the gpu fails to recognize that it is in game. I am doing 144fps solid at the begining of the raid, 330 watts power draw. Then suddenly I get a big lag spikes and my wattage goes to 200 watts and 80 fps, the. Again finally going to 100-140 watts and 50-60 fps. Gpu is at 40-45c, also the load goes from 80-90% down to 60-70 and then again 30-50% when my fps goes to 60. Every other game works great, I've played GTA5 for hours, gpu at 90% and 300+ watts solid no issues. Can someone tag nikita in this please.

cmd_boild

@nickb2high Exactly the same behaviour for me. I tested this with some other games to compare.

Strangely enough all other games I've tested cause constant 330-350 watts power draw and constant high FPS for hours. No issues.

Tarkov on the opposite does not exceed max. 240 watts power draw.  ALWAYS after 60-90 seconds in-game the power draw decreases to 140 watts, causing FPS drop to 30-40.

Things i've tested:

• Maximum Performance setting in Nvidia control panel for Tarkov
  • Installing Nvidia Studiuo Drivers or older Nvidia Drivers
  • Testing all different kinds of Graphics Settings

This behaviour is completely bonkers. If i change the Graphics Settings to overall Low (1080p) the power draw of the GPU starts with only 140 watts after spawning into the map. Again after 60-90 seconds the power draw decreases to 100-120 watts and FPS drop to 50-60.

The RTX 3080 doesnt seem to acknowledge that it has to provide its max performance for Tarkov.

Edited by cmd_boild

howiejc
On 12/2/2020 at 12:37 AM, Kinky_Devil said:

when i enter the raid Gpu sits at 80-90% Gpu usage and fps at around 100-122Fps and 15 or so seconds later you can see the Gpu ramping down to around 500-900Mhz. where as it was usually 1980Mhz +-. so im not sure if it's tarkov or Nvidia. But all other games is using 90% plus GPU . this only happens in tarkov.

Disclaimer:   I don't have this game (considering buying if Xmas sale hits) but, not bragging, I'm pretty experienced with PC optimization and have an engineering background.

If it's a game/engine or Nvidia driver bug, then you're kinda out of luck until either/both parties fix it.

However, one thing you can try, if you haven't already done so, is force a fixed GPU core & mem clock using whatever compatible tool is available.   E.g. I use Asus GPU Tweak 2 for my Strix 3090 as it has the "Always 3D Clock" toggle.  Pretty sure EVGA's Precision X1/XOC has that feature too but I've never tried those.

Good luck and don't forget to increase the core voltage as appropriate and set the max power + thermal limits too.

PS - Not sure if there are any overlays for/associated with this game but I always disable those type of things as they typically interfere with stuff and/or increase input lag.

Edited by howiejc
add PS note

NickBHigh

@cmd_boild exactly the same for me as well. I have tried everything you meantioned also with no change. If I crank my settings to max, it will stay around 200-300 watts but still only get 60 fps.

@howiejc that's a good idea I will try it and report back!

cmd_boild

@nickb2high seems to be a general issue with Geforce RTX.

Most people using an RTX GPU seem to ignore or don't care that Tarkov only uses 30-50% of their GPU performance.

A friend of mine has an RTX 3070 and experiences exactly the same.

I've found this thread from january 2020, where OP described exactly the same issue with his RTX 2060 Super:

https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/113003-low-ish-fps-on-a-decent-rig/

Since this seems to be such an old topic, I have no hope that the Tarkov developers will fix this anytime soon.

Ventron
On 12/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, Bobflob6 said:

If your GPU doesn’t hit 99%, there’s something holding it off. I remember back when BF1 was released, my 1080 used 99%, but I wanted more FPS, so got another card, that resulted in 50% usage on both, 1% gain. GPUs are designed to utilize all of the power, what would the point be to buy a GPU, but only use half of it?

To the OP:

What are your screens hertz? I see you got a pretty solid OC on your ram when it comes to timings. I’ve recently changed my RAM OC (sticks are GSkill 4266MHz), running at CL16, and followed ChippaWubba’s FPS guide for 12.6, and get a good 120 FPS on Shoreline. NVCP settings may also help you out.

cmd_boild
40 minutes ago, Ventron said:

To the OP:

What are your screens hertz? I see you got a pretty solid OC on your ram when it comes to timings. I’ve recently changed my RAM OC (sticks are GSkill 4266MHz), running at CL16, and followed ChippaWubba’s FPS guide for 12.6, and get a good 120 FPS on Shoreline. NVCP settings may also help you out.

What GPU do you have?

I just checked that again. 60Hz or 120Hz, G-Sync on or off, V-Sync on or off.... none of these settings make any difference.

I am afraid this issue has nothing to do with RAM oder CPU bottlenecks.

Just as i wrote above your post, Tarkov seems to fail to use the full performance of Geforce RTX GPUs in general.

I also get 120 FPS on every map, but only during the first 60 seconds in-game. During that time the GPU has about 50-55% load. After that GPU load drops to 30% and FPS drop to 40-60, depending on the complexity of the map area.

Edited by cmd_boild

NickBHigh

Yeah exactly what @cmd_boild said. I have turned my OC up, down, and off totally with zero difference. The same thing happens, just without the oc or a lower oc, I start at 100 fps instead of 144 and it drops to 60 right away then to 40. The GPU behavior is exactly the same. I have a hard time believing it's my cpu when, it starts out totally fine, and also that other games run perfectly fine with minimal cpu bottleneck at 1440p. 

I am running 144hz monitor, with gsync and I have tried it on and off. I have went thru all NVCP multiple times and used multiple FPS guides. 

The problem is the GPU will literally fall off about a minute into the game. At the start it's full bore, 144fps, 70-90% gpu usage and 320+ watts. And a big lag spikes happens, then it drops to 200 watts and 50-60% usage and I drop to 100 fps. Then it happens again to 140 watts and 30-40% usage resulting in 50-70fps

Edited by nickb2high
Edit

Donidon

You are not testing this in offline mode with bots? Then this is normal. The bots drain so much CPU power that the CPU is the bottleneck. Because after the first 60s or so, the scavs spawn into the game in offline mode.

If it also happens in the normal game, some patch has killed your installation. Then it usually helps to delete the EfT folder manually and reinstall the game.

NickBHigh

The same thing happens in both online and offline. I have reinstalled the game multiple times, and even did a fresh windows install. 

I'm more leaning on EFT itself being broke for RTX GPUs, couple be totally wrong, but it seems reguardless of the individual setup, everyone who is having this issue, has a RTX GPU. My buddy with a 1080 gets better FPS than I do with a 3080. All of my control panel settings are the exact same. 

• Like 1