Jump to content

Don't make it open world.


Recommended Posts

Mikessnow

I don't see this being good in open world and I've not spoke to one person who said they want it either quite the opposite from twitch streams to discords no one wants it to be open world. The way it's like now with the different maps in my opinion and others is now an integral part of what tarkov experience is and should stay like that. More maps and/or expansions would obviously be great and just more content in general but ofcourse that takes time.

The devs should build upon what they have at the moment because tarkov is pretty unique and an amazing game. I've seen alot of alpha/beta access games who have this final vision of what they want even though they have already have defined themselves and their product and just need to improve upon and try get the game to as many people as possible with using advertising.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Redangelguts

yea open world would be a massive amount of work with little pay off...

...really just having more available extracts sounds like open world but less work and performance issues, which im all for instead of all that work which might not even be a better experience

Link to post
Share on other sites
KageOni

My friends and I were just talking about how we were looking forward to an open world mode.

However, for technical reasons I don't think they will ever be able to tie the maps together into one supper map and the best we'll get is that specific extracts will take you to specific maps. 

I personally just want anything other than the current raids even if its not the open world. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
GhostZ69
17 hours ago, Mikessnow said:

I don't see this being good in open world and I've not spoke to one person who said they want it either quite the opposite from twitch streams to discords no one wants it to be open world. The way it's like now with the different maps in my opinion and others is now an integral part of what tarkov experience is and should stay like that. More maps and/or expansions would obviously be great and just more content in general but ofcourse that takes time.

The devs should build upon what they have at the moment because tarkov is pretty unique and an amazing game. I've seen alot of alpha/beta access games who have this final vision of what they want even though they have already have defined themselves and their product and just need to improve upon and try get the game to as many people as possible with using advertising.

Yeah, dude, in my circle of people it is exactly the opposite.  Just about everyone I know WANTS open world.  Unfortunately, you will probably get your wish, as I am pretty sure Nikita said they are not capable of making it open world.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
AlmonDro

if implemented correctly, it would be a massive improvement for the game i think. just worried about map entrances/exits being camped a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites
p4nnus
8 hours ago, GhostZ69 said:

Yeah, dude, in my circle of people it is exactly the opposite.  Just about everyone I know WANTS open world.  Unfortunately, you will probably get your wish, as I am pretty sure Nikita said they are not capable of making it open world.

Source?

Link to post
Share on other sites
GeneralBrus
8 hours ago, GhostZ69 said:

Yeah, dude, in my circle of people it is exactly the opposite.  Just about everyone I know WANTS open world. 

same for me, and also most of the early beta and alpha players, considering that the early supporters of this game actually almost all have a DayZ / Survival shooter background.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jsaccs

Is the idea of the Tarkov open world similar to how Rust is turning out? Your hideout is physically in the world, the traders and flea market will be physically in the world, I guess we would probably have vehicles or some sort of quick transport system eh?

I would be all for it personally, but as OP mentioned, so many people fell in love with Tarkov in this format, an open world is a dramatic shift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Roger_Douglas

Lol you need to stop drinking the cool aid if you seriously think this game will ever be open world
it can barely function in the limited state it exists in now
while having the worse netcode in a multiplayer game

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Allfather

-1 OP

+1 Open World

All MY friends are thrilled by the concept of an open world game mode. In fact, a couple buddies of mine are waiting to buy the game specifically until that feature is made available. Your small echo chamber is absolutely not a representation of the Tarkov community. You comprise the minority opinion on the matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
gNecrOz
On 1/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, p4nnus said:

Source?

Not a source, but I am pretty sure I recall the talks were, you would have to complete all the maps and extract and the last map is the map as an Open World setting? I obviously could be recalling incorrectly and I accept that. 

 

Ironically the idea of connecting map extracts could be interesting. Was it Kotton who mentioned in one of his streams about how he liked the idea of connecting Labs to another map like Customs or Shoreline. You would need to extract from Labs and then also with the same character with no restock of meds, extract from Shoreline/Customs as well. It was another one of those, ideas to deter hackers 🤷‍♂️. But I liked the idea just in general, personally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
p4nnus
9 hours ago, gNecrOz said:

Not a source, but I am pretty sure I recall the talks were, you would have to complete all the maps and extract and the last map is the map as an Open World setting? I obviously could be recalling incorrectly and I accept that. 

 

Ironically the idea of connecting map extracts could be interesting. Was it Kotton who mentioned in one of his streams about how he liked the idea of connecting Labs to another map like Customs or Shoreline. You would need to extract from Labs and then also with the same character with no restock of meds, extract from Shoreline/Customs as well. It was another one of those, ideas to deter hackers 🤷‍♂️. But I liked the idea just in general, personally. 

I wanted a source to the "nikita said they are not capable of making it open-world" because this sounds like just another made up thing by this ghost. He has a vibrant past with made up statements etc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
opiat3
On 1/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, Jsaccs said:

Is the idea of the Tarkov open world similar to how Rust is turning out? Your hideout is physically in the world, the traders and flea market will be physically in the world, I guess we would probably have vehicles or some sort of quick transport system eh?

I would be all for it personally, but as OP mentioned, so many people fell in love with Tarkov in this format, an open world is a dramatic shift.

How can it be a dramatic shift if everyone that is supporting this game since 2016/17 was already supporting the game for both raids and open world once you completed all raids. There was no change in the project, open world didn´t just came up now as an idea... its planned for since early alpha.

 Ppl asking for it not to be implemented is the dramatic shift, especially for everyone that supports the game since before it was popular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrudis
2 hours ago, p4nnus said:

I wanted a source to the "nikita said they are not capable of making it open-world" because this sounds like just another made up thing by this ghost. He has a vibrant past with made up statements etc.

I believe there were only concerns with Streets of Tarkov and The Labs maps - they probably will have to leave them as separate maps with multiple entrances and extraction points, while the rest of maps will be joined in an open world in some way (at least that is the plan). Not sure how it will work exactly yet. Still, it is not set in stone and things can change for the better or for the worse. I suppose somewhere around Streets of Tarkov release date we will know more details.

 

1 hour ago, opiat3 said:

 Ppl asking for it not to be implemented is the dramatic shift, especially for everyone that supports the game since before it was popular.

Well, people will get what they want apparently, with separate EFT: Arena - standalone game with smaller faster coop-PvP oriented maps, with CTP, Deathmatch etc game modes. Current EFT was always developed with open world in mind, and this is not going to change. But those who want team-vs-team PvP in small arenas without open world and some survival aspects but with EFT shooting and modding mechanics - they can expect separate game they were asking for. As I've heard, there is a completely separate devs team working on it, while original team continue work on open world EFT as it was originally planned. I hope we will hear more details about EFT: Arena from Nikita soon.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:56 PM, Jsaccs said:

Your hideout is physically in the world, the traders and flea market will be physically in the world, I guess we would probably have vehicles or some sort of quick transport system eh?

Hideout - no, you wont be able to raid someone's else hideout nor do you choose place for your own. Still not clear if you can exfil to you Hideout from any map or only from specific few, but there definitely will be some exfil/infil points from/to Hideout somewhere.

Traders - yes, one in-raid trader per map + multiple Fence outlets in world: Therapist - Streets of Tarkov, Prapor - Town, Skier - Customs, Mechanic - Factory, Ragman - Interchange, Jaeger - Woods, Peacekeeper - Terminal, plus 3 additional traders were mentioned: Khokhol - Suburbs, Bashkir - Shoreline, Warden - Lighthouse

Flea Market - not clear yet, but possibly multiple access points across world just like for Fence outlets.

Vehicles - no, you will have to cross all distance on foot, possibly have to cross several maps to get where you want and back. So far only one route was mentioned: Enter Factory -> Enter Labs from Factory -> Exfil Labs to Streets of Takov -> Exfil Streets of Tarkov. Still not 100% clear if you sill will be able to enter Factory from Hideout and if you can exfil to your Hideout from SoT, but it is clear you won't be able to go directly from Hideout into the Labs directly neither exfil back to Hideout from the Labs.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
p4nnus
15 minutes ago, Andrudis said:

I believe there were only concerns with Streets of Tarkov and The Labs maps - they probably will have to leave them as separate maps with multiple entrances and extraction points, while the rest of maps will be joined in an open world in some way (at least that is the plan). Not sure how it will work exactly yet. Still, it is not set in stone and things can change for the better or for the worse. I suppose somewhere around Streets of Tarkov release date we will know more details.

The plan originally was, IIRC, that there was an open-world which had entrances to the raids. So something more than just the raids.. but it mightve changed to sth else afterwards, theres been little talk about this external open-world during the last year. Thats why I was asking for a source. Tbh I didnt expect one from this ghost boy, because he ghosts the conversation every time he is asked for anything to back up his claims with. Pun intended.

It was even considered, that there wouldve been in-game places for the traders, where the player could visit. 

Can you provide your sources? Asking sincerely and without ill-intention, just to know if theres sth Ive missed that contradicts with the original plan.

Edit: oh yeah you mentioned the in-raid traders. Now I want to see your sources even more, if these locations are confirmed. This would heavily point towards no exterior open-world that connects the raids.

Edited by p4nnus
Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrudis
8 minutes ago, p4nnus said:

Can you provide your sources? Asking sincerely and without ill-intention, just to know if theres sth Ive missed that contradicts with the original plan.

I can provide only some of the links from one source, but there were some with similar info from podcasts.

1) Here are some moments from Q&A about chain travel Factory->Labs->SoT with Nikita provided by German community, but I did not double check those as I usually do because I can understand only podcasts in English and Russian: https://youtu.be/rE6-zlgTYsk?t=28

2) Story progression, maps locked by other maps and quests, in-raid traders in open world confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjW0iLb89Q4 part for open word transition specificly: https://youtu.be/DjW0iLb89Q4?t=431

3) EFT: Arena details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_SgQOz3dg

This guy usually provide little details on shot clips, but I use him as tracker for interesting podcasts and if he mention any as source from Nikita and it is in Russian or English - I usually try to find original and listen in full as there are more details in originals than in those short clips. But unfortunately I do not store links to those podcasts once I've listened to them.

Generally my impression on the subject: BGS wants to do open world transitions as seamless as possible, but if they will be restricted by performance or netcode limitations, they may end up doing just chain of raids where you exfil one raid and start another one without visiting Hideout. So far looks like this is still work in progress and whether we will get seamless open world or a chain of connected raids - will depend on technical limitations encountered during development.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jsaccs
3 hours ago, opiat3 said:

How can it be a dramatic shift if everyone that is supporting this game since 2016/17 was already supporting the game for both raids and open world once you completed all raids. There was no change in the project, open world didn´t just came up now as an idea... its planned for since early alpha.

 Ppl asking for it not to be implemented is the dramatic shift, especially for everyone that supports the game since before it was popular.

Dont forget im pro-open world 😋

I was just speculating, that since its been this grand idea for so long, people get accustomed to what tarkov has been for many years; And that it might actually create a backlash with some of the community.

But all this is null and void now; I made that comment on the 10th, and already breaking news has been coming out. With EFT: Arena officially full steam ahead, any people that might not want to play an open world tarkov can just stick to the arena.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikessnow

The servers hardly run well with small maps never mind open world on top of what I said before. They are horrible atm, even customs which is fairly small. Imagine how much money they have made with the EOD editions, it's crazy why servers are still this bad. Supposedly they are half way through development.

 

EFT Arena seems like a poor idea to try get new players to the tarkov experience imo. It will bring players that don't even want to play what the game is already or they would. They just need to make what they have better. 

I've seen many alpha/beta games over reach and fail because they can't fix what they have and keep adding stuff that breaks the game even more.

Edited by Mikessnow
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
TarkovCitizen4431498
On 1/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, GeneralBrus said:

same for me, and also most of the early beta and alpha players, considering that the early supporters of this game actually almost all have a DayZ / Survival shooter background.

I also have played DayZ Mod since the very start. Several thousands of hours in it. But still I'd prefer Tarkov the way it is now and not as an open-world game. I just don't see the point of it. 5-10 minutes in-game and a blackjack 50 is already full. So why would you first move towards interchange from Customs to extract? Sure they could reduce the loot to barely nothing, but then it turns into a running simulator. Great!

No.. I'd rather have it stay the way it is. The game is great currently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
GeneralBrus
1 hour ago, TarkovCitizen4431498 said:

No.. I'd rather have it stay the way it is. The game is great currently.

Well the raid gameplay doesn't have to change, I just hope that "open word" as a separated gamemode actually is not just a big "maybe", because at least some of us hope to see this happen in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spectator6
On 1/9/2021 at 7:53 AM, Mikessnow said:

I don't see this being good in open world and I've not spoke to one person who said they want it either quite the opposite from twitch streams to discords no one wants it to be open world. The way it's like now with the different maps in my opinion and others is now an integral part of what tarkov experience is and should stay like that. More maps and/or expansions would obviously be great and just more content in general but ofcourse that takes time.

The devs should build upon what they have at the moment because tarkov is pretty unique and an amazing game. I've seen alot of alpha/beta access games who have this final vision of what they want even though they have already have defined themselves and their product and just need to improve upon and try get the game to as many people as possible with using advertising.

Yes, I like the focus and brevity that the Raid instances bring to the table. I'm an old fart and don't have time to trudge around for 45 mins on end just looking for signs of life.

An interesting compromise, IMO, would be to have the map exits "lead into" one another. So for example, if we take a look at the world map, from Shoreline you can go to Lighthouse or Terminal, but you can't "jump" to Interchange without first progressing through the intervening maps.

image.png.f2b26236344fd9151a1e2f1d11ef30a7.png

It might also be interesting for a "hardcore" mode (or maybe limit it to one of the three PMC's?) that places the player's main hideout just outside of Terminal. If he dies, the char goes back to the Terminal hideout. Inbetween the other maps, the player is given smaller "temporary" stashes. So the player could extract from Woods, stash away some good loot between it and Factory, then progress further. When he dies, he goes back to the start, BUT each "inbetween" stash retains the loot he left in them.

(May have some rough edges, just thinking out loud)

Edited by Spectator6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Drew7822
On 1/10/2021 at 2:17 AM, AlmonDro said:

if implemented correctly, it would be a massive improvement for the game i think. just worried about map entrances/exits being camped a lot

Wouldn't be any different than exit campers, would actually lesson the camping in general but I'd actually love to see an open world tarkov. The game isn't really huge because of its 'modes' of going into a raid and dying to aids after 45 mins. The game is known for customization, tactical play and realism.. Open world is the next step epically if you look at the skill tree with RPGs and LMGs and vehicles. 

 

Kinda need this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...