Meta Gameplay

Vatruvius

Hello fellow players,
Welcome Battlestate developers,

I had an interesting discussion concerning the long-term gameplay health of EFT with a couple of friends and wanted to share the core points of that conversation in this forum and hopefully generate a discussion around the topic and pool some ideas and solutions to the common trend that is the top tier gear meta. To clarify, this discussion concerns how gameplay in EFT trends and how to make that gameplay more dynamic as wipes become non-existent as is planned after the official release of the game.

It is no secret that gameplay in EFT trends toward top tier gear after several months post-wipe. Many players never reach that level of gameplay, most of whom become inactive only to return after another wipe to see what is new, rinse and repeat. These players will be unreliable when the game officially releases. I believe the reason why is because they find the trending gameplay meta either boring or frustrating. Many of the hardcore players also dislike the trending meta as the gameplay becomes bland and repetitious as can be seen with the self-imposed restrictions or challenges to breathe life into the game. This is an issue that should be addressed during early development so the solution can be tested and affirm a healthy gameplay cycle that requires no outside input.

I view the gameplay meta as a tide that should ebb and flow based on player loadouts. The best way to encourage player loadouts to consistently cycle between top tier and low tier gear is to always offer options at every price point that counter each other. Regular players, returning players, and new players should be able to play the game despite the current meta and build their kit to counter whatever is predominantly being used. As this counter kit becomes the new meta used by most, some players start to build a new kit that counters this new meta and thus the cycle goes round and round circling through all the items, gear, and weapons EFT has to offer. New players will be able to partake in this cycle because options are available at every price point allowing anyone to play how they want while still being able to participate and not feeling helpless. Cheaper solutions should be balanced in a way that makes them not the de facto choice, but as an option available to those without the funds to use the most expensive gear.

The clearest solution, in my opinion, to bring about this ebb and flow-based gameplay would be the balancing of ammunition damage and penetration along with how armor plays a role in protection or the lack there of. To be specific, high penetration ammo should do significantly reduced damage to those with insufficient or no armor as the round passes cleanly through the target. Likewise, this high penetration ammo should do increased damage to those wearing equivalent armor to the penetration value of the ammunition. Low penetration and high damage ammunition should be highly effective against low tier or no armor and nearly ineffective against high tier armor. My thought process here is as a bullet just manages to penetrate an armor plate it has broken up and deformed to a point that does increased damage to the underlying tissue while non-deformed bullets pass through tissue with ease. How this would introduce the ebb and flow-style gameplay is as players counter one type of ammunition and armor class meta, some players will start to counter this new counter meta with different ammunition and armor classes. What is great about this theoretical gameplay cycle is some players will try to prepare for all scenarios bringing marked magazines with different ammunition for the target they find before them. The difference between armor class values should be relatively obvious based on the rig or armor being worn, though different tier of armor plates, if they eventually become replaceable in chest rigs, could introduce some challenges forcing players to guess which ammo they should use if they happen to carry more than one type.

I believe this type of balancing could improve EFT's gameplay to never stagnate as there is constantly cycling gameplay metas that always have a counter. The price of some gear should be a deterrent, but I do not think the price of gear should be the balancing factor for gameplay meta. Perhaps some weapons simply have no equivalent to a hollow point round as their caliber passes through nearly everything thereby making them useless against softly protected targets. This brings about a reason to carry a sidearm that could be effective in those scenarios.

Tell me what you think below and share your ideas and solutions to this meta problem in EFT that could affect the long-term gameplay health of this awesome, unforgiving game.

Vatruvius

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, ChilledInsanity said:

Have you read the ammo charts? How is this any different to the system that is already in place?

What he is saying is that the ammo damage output should change based on what armor it is being fired at.  PACA=low damage output.  Slick= high damage.  

Its an interesting thought but goes against the core gameplay design.  Nikita wants realism to a certain extent and a bullet deciding it will do less damage to a player wearing poo or no armor will never be implemented.  If this was to happen, everybody would run a meta vector with paca chest and tank helm because the damage output would be minimal.