At what point should you begin to transition more into PVP?

DAWNHAMMER

Good Morning,

New player here, i'm about a week or 2 into the game (level 15). I had a real rough go of it at the start but I think that's what drew me into the game was something that was challenging and punishing if you don't adapt. 

My question is, what level would it be considered wise to start working more towards PVP and getting some PMC kills. Currently all my PMC kills (of which there are few) have been just random encounters on my way to extraction. I'd be lying if i said I wasn't like 1 kill for every 5 deaths against other PMCs. What tips can you guys provide me to win more fights? I don't know if it's gear or if it's a L2P issue but i'm getting my ass smoked by other PMCs often times before I even fire a single round. Perhaps i'm playing too passive.

Any general information would be helpful to me, i'm trying to learn! The online guides on youtube and what not are more for just how to survive and often times talk of just avoiding conflict all together.

Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1
Harvg123

I usually transition into PvP when I get bored/complete all the quests. Each to their own though just do what feels right and enjoy 👍 Just remember gaming is meant to be fun, not an absolute chore all of the time 🤣 

The best thing for me learning to PvP was getting a saiga shotgun/MP133/153 and loading it up with cheap ass ammo and whatever armour i had and just clearing factory over and over again. Just aim for face or legs depending on ammo and rinse and repeat. Eventually it was actually making me money as I would die so few and far between after 50 or so raids. You learn the spawns, the movements of players and what every sound on the map is 🤷‍♂️ Just shows you how important map knowledge is I guess, but I picked up so much knowledge about mechanics that after that most PvP came easily 

Jsaccs

In the same lane as @Harvg123, I use my scav on factory 90% of the time. This is some guaranteed pvp with nothing to lose. Its a great way of getting used to the games mechanics quickly and you eventually get pretty comfortable. You also get used to a variety of guns. It also adds the fact that sometimes your scav will spawn with a labs card or 50k in roubles or some FiR item you need and you just sprint for the extract.

1 hour ago, DAWNHAMMER said:

I don't know if it's gear or if it's a L2P issue but i'm getting my ass smoked by other PMCs often times before I even fire a single round. Perhaps i'm playing too passive.

The irony in being passive and careful is that tarkov has such bad peekers advantage, its almost better to be on the move. Streamers like pestily and landmark are examples of how gung-ho sprinting/jumping everywhere sadly can work. I personally prefer the slow and methodical pace, and I couldnt tell you how many times Ive caught these sprinting meth heads off-guard. It just takes practice and very good map knowledge and raid time; knowing what the common routes are at certain times of the raid.

Always be thinking throughout the raid that if someone spawned at point A, and we're 15 minutes into the raid, theres a good chance he could be at point B, and C spawn guy is probably at point D by now etc etc. This concept allows you to play slow and ambush common routes. Theres a natural flow in raids and it just takes time to get the feel for it.

Rekonsile
1 hour ago, DAWNHAMMER said:

Good Morning,

New player here, i'm about a week or 2 into the game (level 15). I had a real rough go of it at the start but I think that's what drew me into the game was something that was challenging and punishing if you don't adapt. 

My question is, what level would it be considered wise to start working more towards PVP and getting some PMC kills. Currently all my PMC kills (of which there are few) have been just random encounters on my way to extraction. I'd be lying if i said I wasn't like 1 kill for every 5 deaths against other PMCs. What tips can you guys provide me to win more fights? I don't know if it's gear or if it's a L2P issue but i'm getting my ass smoked by other PMCs often times before I even fire a single round. Perhaps i'm playing too passive.

Any general information would be helpful to me, i'm trying to learn! The online guides on youtube and what not are more for just how to survive and often times talk of just avoiding conflict all together.

Thanks in advance!

you should focus on quests so that you can level up faster. once you hit max rep for peacekeeper you will gain access to most of the premium ammo sources for your weapons that will actually kill players. Another reason players fail in pvp is they dont use the proper ammo to kill players with here is a link to the official wiki https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Ballistics look through it and for importantly learn what round pen certain arrmor types. You want to use ammo that pens level 4  the most due to the fact that all most all helmets are level 4

• Upvote 1
Na0cho
4 hours ago, DAWNHAMMER said:

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance!

Just keep playing as you are and you will eventually learn and get better. Map knowledge and awareness are the biggest things IMO.  Sound is also very very important.  The kills will come naturally, as you figure out where people will be more often. 

of course you need to be using the right ammo, there are charts online and even an app for your phone called battle buddy that will give you ammo stats. 

Just remember to keep your loadout to a budget you can afford to lose. And when you do get they juicy fat boy kill it will be so sweet. 

Play and learn one map until you master it (I suggest customs but others may not agree)

I guess my point is, don’t force yourself into pvp it will happen naturally and eventually you will win more than lose. 

Once you get skier/peacekeeper lvl 2 you can start using some decent mods and have access to decent night vision as well. 

Overkill_Reaper

Honestly, I’m shocked there’s people out there who play this game for anything other than the pvp.. How is hiding from players while looking for random spawning loot in boxes entertaining in the slightest? 

MarcBorgia
2 minutes ago, Overkill_Reaper said:

Honestly, I’m shocked there’s people out there who play this game for anything other than the pvp.. How is hiding from players while looking for random spawning loot in boxes entertaining in the slightest? 

Because not everyone shares the same opinion of entertainment as you?

To the OP though, after level 40 i believe theres really nothing to get aside from some clothing from ragman so thats generally when i go more pvp. Most of the quests are just dumb so i dont bother trying for kappa. So basically once i get set up with the bitcoin farm and hit lvl 40. Although the bitcoin farming has changed alot at this point so not sure how much effort im going to put into that either.

Overkill_Reaper
On 1/21/2021 at 10:15 PM, MarcBorgia said:

Because not everyone shares the same opinion of entertainment as you?

To the OP though, after level 40 i believe theres really nothing to get aside from some clothing from ragman so thats generally when i go more pvp. Most of the quests are just dumb so i dont bother trying for kappa. So basically once i get set up with the bitcoin farm and hit lvl 40. Although the bitcoin farming has changed alot at this point so not sure how much effort im going to put into that either.

By all means, they can rat away and hide to their heart’s content. I just struggle to understand how people could find much entertainment in it is all. If they find it fun then good for them. 

Generally I spend the first few weeks of wipe fully focused on tasks. Once I finish those and get kappa after the first 300-400 raids it becomes all about murdering at that point, and just playing for fun. 

That was not the case early in my Tarkov days, those days were more about the initial grind to Kappa which took most of the wipe. 

Move at your own pace, ask questions, use your scav and evolve as you go. The best tips I can give you are this:

• Run your scav - its free money if you live.
  • Concentrate on a couple of maps - I recommend Customs (early tasks) and Interchange (money)
  • Join a discord with other players and squad up - you will learn stuff AND have fun
  • Watch tutorials, YouTubers, Streamers
  • Ask questions of people if you see them doing something you didn't think of - get inside their thought process
  • Good ammo trumps everything - always use the best ammo you can afford. Even if it means the gun is less modded.  

Early wipe is over now, this is pretty much late wipe for many players. They have end game gear - but don't be disheartened by that. A well placed shot still kills them, then you get their stuff. So learn to play to your strengths. 

Try and push to level 40 - thats a great goal and opens up the market to you, saving you cash and getting you access to better gear!

Edited by Jeepo
GeneralBrus
On 1/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, DAWNHAMMER said:

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance!

once you unlock top ap ammo you can start playing pvp, before that you will always struggle and be in a disadvantage. So stick to your quests and push them through.

jockmcplop
9 hours ago, Overkill_Reaper said:

By all means, they can rat away and hide to their heart’s content. I just struggle to understand how people could find much entertainment in it is all. If they find it fun then good for them. 

Have you ever played a stealth game?

Its like that :)

As for the OP's question, I'm on my second wipe and my PvP is still pretty bad. I can hold my own against a duo sometimes, but as a solo player you have to engage really well every time and make sure you don't make any silly mistakes (getting yourself trapped in a bad position is my biggest mistake, I still do it all the time).

My advice would be don't engage groups at all, try and make sure you know who is around before you engage.

Overkill_Reaper
5 hours ago, jockmcplop said:

Have you ever played a stealth game?

Its like that :)

As for the OP's question, I'm on my second wipe and my PvP is still pretty bad. I can hold my own against a duo sometimes, but as a solo player you have to engage really well every time and make sure you don't make any silly mistakes (getting yourself trapped in a bad position is my biggest mistake, I still do it all the time).

My advice would be don't engage groups at all, try and make sure you know who is around before you engage.

Good point. Splinter cell in Tarkov sounds like a interesting play style for sure lol. 

Ruecklicht
Am 19.1.2021 um 16:00 schrieb DAWNHAMMER:

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance!

I sent you a message.

Caster89Actual
On 1/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, DAWNHAMMER said:

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance!

From your first raid of the wipe?

PMCs are juicy bro, If you know a PMC is in the area it is ALWAYS worth at least trying to get the first salvo on him. If you fail just bug out.