why is cooldown a thing?

minty_mongaloid

minty_mongaloid

am a noob in this game but why are cooldown timers a thing?
i bought this game for 42eur so why does it treat me like im playing a mobile game?
let me play scav whenever i want, if i wanted to stare at a timer i would just play some random mobile game

Maki_Nishikino

Because you can get a lot of good loot to dump into your PMC stash not risking anything. Upgrading your hideout (Intelligence Center) will reduce this timer.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino
  • 3 weeks later...
ck_abandoned

First time player ever and I quit the game immediately after seeing a 20 minute required cooldown for my very first mission as scav. I know nothing about this game other then the general idea (survival, pvp, etc) from YouTube videos so I knew scav should be a good jumping off point as it seemed like a place to "train" for PMC side of things. That is, I can get my XP up and get some loot to actually be viable to play PMC without a huge time-sink in to PMC only

Forcing a new user to wait 20 minutes to use the only place to really, really level their playing field and be competitive in the PMC side of the game - i.e. not die in 3-7 mins - is completely counterproductive from a product standpoint. I am sure some of you play COD/COD:WZ - what if you had to wait 20 minutes between each MP match or each plunder match which would force you in to BR mode where, if you're new, you're likely not going to level anything up. It'd take you ages to be viable in BR.  It seems apparent that nobody on this team has ever had a full time job other than developing video games and cannot quantify the fact that their users likely have a fulltime job where they only have a couple hours a night to burn, if that, on getting some game-time in

I get scav can be abused to get a lot of loot but players with XP 0 -> #### should not be subject to this. You deter them from playing again especially if they do a scav, die, see 20 minute countdown, go in to PMC round, die in 5 minutes, and now see another 15 minutes remaining before they can play scav meanwhile waiting for PMC to regen

Like I said, I get it, but the implementation of it needs to be rethought. This is one quick way to have a lot of people put this game down once its out of beta. "Cooldown" periods immediately become a reason people won't play this. Its lucky right now because theirs a pandemic and a lot people are forced inside/home but that won't be the case when everyone is back in an office

Edited by ck_abandoned
2 hours ago, ck_abandoned said:

First time player ever and I quit the game immediately after seeing a 20 minute required cooldown for my very first mission as scav. I know nothing about this game other then the general idea (survival, pvp, etc) from YouTube videos so I knew scav should be a good jumping off point as it seemed like a place to "train" for PMC side of things. That is, I can get my XP up and get some loot to actually be viable to play PMC without a huge time-sink in to PMC only

Forcing a new user to wait 20 minutes to use the only place to really, really level their playing field and be competitive in the PMC side of the game - i.e. not die in 3-7 mins - is completely counterproductive from a product standpoint. I am sure some of you play COD/COD:WZ - what if you had to wait 20 minutes between each MP match or each plunder match which would force you in to BR mode where, if you're new, you're likely not going to level anything up. It'd take you ages to be viable in BR.  It seems apparent that nobody on this team has ever had a full time job other than developing video games and cannot quantify the fact that their users likely have a fulltime job where they only have a couple hours a night to burn, if that, on getting some game-time in

I get scav can be abused to get a lot of loot but players with XP 0 -> #### should not be subject to this. You deter them from playing again especially if they do a scav, die, see 20 minute countdown, go in to PMC round, die in 5 minutes, and now see another 15 minutes remaining before they can play scav meanwhile waiting for PMC to regen

Like I said, I get it, but the implementation of it needs to be rethought. This is one quick way to have a lot of people put this game down once its out of beta. "Cooldown" periods immediately become a reason people won't play this. Its lucky right now because theirs a pandemic and a lot people are forced inside/home but that won't be the case when everyone is back in an office

the main problem is that you are afraid of pmc runs - just keep trying

Theta989
On 2/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, ck_abandoned said:

Kinda sounds like this game isnt for you, if you cant handle a death. The cooldown is ONLY for the scav. It doesnt prevent you from playing AT ALL. Everyone dies, everyone is a noob at some point. Took me around a month to get confident playing solo. And i still die a lot. Play offline raids to teach yourself or go play fall guys? They can only hold peoples hands so much. 

shamrock113
17 hours ago, Theta989 said:

Kinda sounds like this game isnt for you, if you cant handle a death. The cooldown is ONLY for the scav. It doesnt prevent you from playing AT ALL. Everyone dies, everyone is a noob at some point. Took me around a month to get confident playing solo. And i still die a lot. Play offline raids to teach yourself or go play fall guys? They can only hold peoples hands so much. 

To be fair there is no mutch hand holding In tarkov.. At least if there isnt roler In that hand and that hand is cold (because you just murdered him for that roler) But agreed. 

• 2 weeks later...
kilfrost

The cooldown is absolutely pathetic if you don't extract as a SCAV.  The timer alone is the reason I'm reluctant to play my PMC.  If I am dying in SCAV mode over and over, like hell I"ll try risking it all in PMC???  Forget it, so I just watch the timer and do other things.  

Scav has cooldown, because you play "for free" - your Scav has random loot and gear. You don't need to dress him like your PMC. After loading into raid as Scav, you can loot anything and bring it to your stash. It's basically free farm for weapons and loot, even items FiR for your PMC. Imagine a situation without cooldown: everyone could play quick in-and-out and make a lot of money faster than now. I once made a statistic how much money I was making as a Scav (quick in-and-out with hidden stashes):

image.png.c65d657d5adf551361f1e9c2594289c5.png

200 000 roubles/10 min. So, without cooldown, experienced players could go over and over and make more money. At least they have to wait to play next raid as a Scav. 

There is one way to reduce cooldown: build Intelligence Centre. Then, you will have cooldown about 9-10 minutes. It's enough time to sell items, and then go next raid. It encourages you to play more and to develop your account into higher levels. I understand that it can be frustrating for new players, but try to understand that Tarkov is different game. Tarkov is very punishing; it doesn't award you and doesn't show you what you need to do. 

On 2/7/2021 at 1:35 AM, ck_abandoned said:

some of you play COD/COD:WZ - what if you had to wait 20 minutes between each MP match or each plunder match which would force you in to BR mode where

Tarkov is not another COD. It's different game. Cooldown has proper reason to be implemented as it was said earlier. 

chrisragnar

"experienced" players can already just do hatchet runs, risk nothing and extract with another GPU for their farm.. the money grinding aspect seems like a poor reason for a timer imo. If that was the reason hatchet runners should have even more punishments.