Too hard to get into?

NeoNihilist888

inb4 'git gud'

As a new player this game has me incredibly frustrated. Watched a good amount of tutorials and have enough time in to understand the 2 maps I play (Shoreline and Customs). Was a huge fan of the old school Ghost Recon games, so moving slow and methodical is a practiced skill for me. So far my whole experience in this game has been one massive curb stomp, and honestly it feels like I've wasted my cash on a game that I have little desire to play.

The learning curve makes sense, its supposed to be an ultra realistic game. I get that. But my initial experience over the last 12 or so hours of play has just been, for a lack of better words, not fun. It's been impossible to even complete the first quests given. About 90% of my games, be it scav or PMC, end within the first 2 minutes as I get dropped by someone from God knows where. I expect to die a lot but to do it so rapidly and consistently after a 3-6 minute loading screen is incredibly disheartening. Getting even 200m from spawn is a huge  challenge, let alone finding quest items from dead scavs or boxes. I feel that reaching level 10 may offer some consolation when the flea market becomes available, however looking at the average XP gained per match makes it a Sisyphean task. Grinding doesn't bother me, I've done it in lots of other games, but it has to be at least enjoyable. 

want to love this game. I'm completely infatuated with the sheer amount of customization available. The gun play, when I actually get a chance at it, feels amazing. Hell, I actually like the scavenging for materials for the HQ aspect. I just can't get past how 1/3 to 1/2 of the time played is spent at a loading screen. 

If anyone has any suggestions for getting over this initial hump I'm all ears. I don't mind throwing myself into the blender to learn, but the simple fact is most of the time its over too quickly to take any experience away. Don't know if it's just rampant bad luck or what, but this initial experience hasn't been the best. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ICEWALLOWPISM8

• imbalapis

• TensedTatterTot

• H4zeMnesia

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mi mi mi. Stop crying, get your gear and try to learn som tactics, get knowledge about the maps and get the focus only to survive, not to loot. Greed will force you to death.

Just check for a "Tarkov ( your country) Discord" and stop playin alone.. This game is based on squad tactic,  the game let you play alone if you want, but the game is a SQUAD based game.. H

I've gotten multiple friends (3-4 ones that play similar "milsim" like games) to buy the game only to see them quit before LVL 10-15.  It's the quests mostly, they are lets be honest poorly made

Posted Images

oOSIKOo

Mi mi mi. Stop crying, get your gear and try to learn som tactics, get knowledge about the maps and get the focus only to survive, not to loot. Greed will force you to death.

• Cold 1
  • Sad 12
H4zeMnesia

Just check for a "Tarkov ( your country) Discord" and stop playin alone..

This game is based on squad tactic,  the game let you play alone if you want, but the game is a SQUAD based game..

Honestly, like..10 days ago, i have almost remove the game.. so i have stop playin solo and try to play in squad... Since the first time i have try, i have never play solo again.. i have earn 1million in 3 days with flea just by plaing in squad.. ( and i'm a fuc**in noob, i have start the game 15 days ago)

This game have a very mature audience, I'm 33, i have never played with someone under 23 y old.., you will play chill, tactic, fun, learning, looting, progressing... with very cool guy (90% having cool mate, for exemple, CSGO is more like 5%...lol ) 

Try to make your scav run, look for some mates and together made some scav runs on interchange, that really free loot, with no risk..

And after you reach the lvl 10, a totally new game come to you..

Edited by H4zeMnesia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
BrettB

Get into it in offline mode man. Its fun. Progression is flawed massively by wipes.

Scav the online raids so who cares, and while the scav is on cooldown.... jump into offline action with scavs on medium....

Which leads me to a question of my own. Is medium scav count above 'As online'?

• Like 1
Xa_Z_aX

Similar to the previous posters, there is an official discord and generally one for most countries, going to look for a group there is a great way to build a squad and maybe even make it a permanent one. Link to the official discord can pretty much be found everywhere on the main site.
Offline mode is a great way to learn the maps and the possible spawns to watch out for including scav ones, you can only gain knowledge about the world from offline, no items/weapons/xp is gained/lost in this mode, pretty much a creative world for duration you are there. Maps can be easily found updated on the wiki.
https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Map_of_Tarkov

From here you can find the associated wiki page and an image of the map. (Thanks to all the mapping people)
I pretty much always have one up on my phone or monitor even if i know the map, because you never know when a second check comes in handy.

If you are willing to wait a little time and get a helping hand, you can request a sherpa and party up with a few other newcomers and they will teach and guide you on the basics along with some of the stuff for what to look for how, sometimes even picking up a few specialty tips and tricks for maps and nailing those other players back.
Guide to sherpa related info here: https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/forum/170-general-discussion/

• Like 1
TheSpud
34 minutes ago, NeoNihilist888 said:

inb4 'git gud'

As a new player this game has me incredibly frustrated. Watched a good amount of tutorials and have enough time in to understand the 2 maps I play (Shoreline and Customs). Was a huge fan of the old school Ghost Recon games, so moving slow and methodical is a practiced skill for me. So far my whole experience in this game has been one massive curb stomp, and honestly it feels like I've wasted my cash on a game that I have little desire to play.

The learning curve makes sense, its supposed to be an ultra realistic game. I get that. But my initial experience over the last 12 or so hours of play has just been, for a lack of better words, not fun. It's been impossible to even complete the first quests given. About 90% of my games, be it scav or PMC, end within the first 2 minutes as I get dropped by someone from God knows where. I expect to die a lot but to do it so rapidly and consistently after a 3-6 minute loading screen is incredibly disheartening. Getting even 200m from spawn is a huge  challenge, let alone finding quest items from dead scavs or boxes. I feel that reaching level 10 may offer some consolation when the flea market becomes available, however looking at the average XP gained per match makes it a Sisyphean task. Grinding doesn't bother me, I've done it in lots of other games, but it has to be at least enjoyable. 

want to love this game. I'm completely infatuated with the sheer amount of customization available. The gun play, when I actually get a chance at it, feels amazing. Hell, I actually like the scavenging for materials for the HQ aspect. I just can't get past how 1/3 to 1/2 of the time played is spent at a loading screen. 

If anyone has any suggestions for getting over this initial hump I'm all ears. I don't mind throwing myself into the blender to learn, but the simple fact is most of the time its over too quickly to take any experience away. Don't know if it's just rampant bad luck or what, but this initial experience hasn't been the best. 

I played almost only factory till level 10, stuck to the tunnels. There is no loot there, mostly scavs and the occasional player. If you can get a factory key you're set as you don't need to extract gate 03. The scav runs I also use in factory whenever they're cooled down, just dash to the nearest exit. Take what you can along the way. Preferably use office window and camera bunker to extract. I get out about 75% of the time. Giving you stuff to vendor or to use. 

If you learn the spawns you can easily make a play from wherever you are. Most frustrating can be the forklift spawn where they can push you from two sides, but I rarely get pushed by two guys. And even then I manage to pull it off every now and then. If you got a nade take it with you in factory. If you got a factory key, you can extract immediatly after you killed the guy pushing, loot the jackets for some keys tht might sell for 60k or other stuff. Its actualy my favourite spawn now. 

Factory will either get you killed fast our get you out fast with some loot and XP. Not like customs where you can run around for 15 minutes have no kills and then get you killed non the less having wasted 15 minutes with nothing in return. I think most people don't recommend customs as it has too many choke points. 

• Like 1
H4zeMnesia
3 minutes ago, TheSpud said:

I played almost only factory till level 10, stuck to the tunnels. There is no loot there, mostly scavs and the occasional player. If you can get a factory key you're set as you don't need to extract gate 03.

Not sure this is the best way to learn how to play... 

If you want have fun, (NOW !!!), and not loosing lot of hours hiding your ass on tunnel or grass until lvl 10, play in squad or with a sherpa..

TheSpud
5 minutes ago, H4zeMnesia said:

Not sure this is the best way to learn how to play... 

If you want have fun, (NOW !!!), and not loosing lot of hours hiding your ass on tunnel or grass until lvl 10, play in squad or with a sherpa..

For me it was the perfect way to learn some basics of the game, while I was also making money an stashing loot. And its fun just knowing you're moving forward in this game instead of dying on customs to a one tap and just get no xp and nothing to show for it. Early on for me it was good to just find a way that would reliably make me money and give XP. 

It for sure made me a better tarkov player all round. I got more confident taking on other players. It surely is more fun to have maps with more loot and leave with a backpack full of stuff. But I think new players just want to level up and not die. 

DJudic

Moving slow is the worst thing you can do in this game, except when you are stalking someone. Also, learn the spawns!!! Either clear the closest spawns or just proceed to your objective, if you are the closest spawn to it and then camp for a bit for the next such person to ambush them. It is as simple as that. Learning these two topics will increase your survival rate probably tenfold, by allowing you to reach your raid objective and then start worrying about other stuff like quicker looting, inventory management and reaching the extract. As I mention the word objective quite a lot - yes, every raid you must put yourself an objective and from the spawn know what your closest dangers are and consider them on your road to your objective. Even - break every part of the raid into small objectives. Like:
1. Get to know where you spawned at, make a mental plan of your possible paths to reach the objective and extract from it. 
2. Which are the closest enemy spawns - do you attack them, ambush them while they do the same - clearing their closest spawn on the way to their objective or just running away to your objective knowing that there are no other spawns between you and it on the way. 
3. Approaching the objective and methodically clearing corners or just buying headsets and listen for any sound queues. 
4. Do the objective, now worry about where the extract is. 
5. Plan your extract path based on the firefights you heard or other objectives you may have - like where there were other fights, there are people. Can you guess where they came from and where they will go next? Probably they also have an objectives list. 
6. Up your Shooter skills. Tarkov is absolutely NOT a realistic game. Yea, bullet drop and travel time and weapon modding make it cool, but the movement makes it more QUAKE-like than even COD. Just use guns with big mags and low recoil and spray those faces. 

Take a look at these two videos about movement. The soon more people start to abuse the movement and cry about it, the sooner they may fix it: 

• Like 1
Its_Ninjarider

As said previously, the game isn't meant to have fun 😁

BTT: Really learn the spawns on Customs and Shoreline if you plan to continue with both of the maps. Its basically one of the most important things to know. Lots of Playerspawns are very close to each other. Easy to die within seconds if you f*ck up...

I suggest you to visit this link : https://www.gamemaps.co.uk/game/tarkov

There you'll find basically every map with different designed "submaps" , either for loot, quests or whatever you want. Lots of em also show the spawns with some dots or arrows. 

And about Shoreline, when i started to play on that specific map i used to keep an eye on the power lines across the map. Best way not to loose orientation :)

Try to do some offline raids to get used to it. Safest way to begin with. Then do the same online raids with scav/pmc.

Edited by Its_Ninjarider
MarcBorgia

Someone posted moving slow is tge worst thing you can do, i find it better. I dont like moving fast if im a solo, ive got alot of kills just because i hear them first because they are running. But walking is an easier target if someone sees you first obviously.

To complete some quests id also recommend going in to later raids to where it gets dark about midway through. Have a flashlight for when you need it but most of the time the night is pretty easy to see around. Most pmcs will be gone before it gets dark, scavs have a little harder time seeing you. just my 2 cents

• Upvote 1
GlomeRoaming

lvl 10 doesn't equate to an easier game other than you have an avenue to buy and sell.

The game is not supposed to be easy, fun or played alone (apparently)
Which is fine, its kind of refreshing but infuriating.  

Experience, map knowledge and movement are minimal as a new player and they matter the most.
You are at your most effective with levelled strength and endurance, have good situational awareness and know the maps well. At times it feels the game has no idea what it really wants to be. There's a conflict of interest within the community as to whether plays like CoD/CS etc or an actual hardcore mil sim.

My opinion and imagination aside, even the best get one tapped, smacked by hackers and shat on by the game itself. The only way I am maintaining any sanity in this game is to ignore quests for the most part and just keep learning (and saving for a better gpu).

Edited by GlomeRoaming
Deucey

I've gotten multiple friends (3-4 ones that play similar "milsim" like games) to buy the game only to see them quit before LVL 10-15. 

It's the quests mostly, they are lets be honest poorly made and still "subject to change". 

It can be really hard to convince somewhat normal players to do a bunch of boring poorly designed tasks only to have the game wipe and their progress lost.

I think in the future (i've not read to see if this is perhaps planned) all tasks up to a certain point should be permanently unlocked. 

• Like 2
  • Hot 1
GlomeRoaming
3 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I've gotten multiple friends (3-4 ones that play similar "milsim" like games) to buy the game only to see them quit before LVL 10-15. 

It's the quests mostly, they are lets be honest poorly made and still "subject to change". 

It can be really hard to convince somewhat normal players to do a bunch of boring poorly designed tasks only to have the game wipe and their progress lost.

I think in the future (i've not read to see if this is perhaps planned) all tasks up to a certain point should be permanently unlocked. 

Agree about the quests
I feel some could more achievements rather than a tasks eg specific weapon/kill quests.
Rather than locking them by level you could pursue them if you wish from day 0 but they would also just happen as you play.

I may sound a bit bambi for some but I feel requiring successful extraction is harsh for new players.
The quest stash is a great addition but I think if they pushed these quests to lvl10 (as an example) it would give people time to get acclimatised to a game which has the steepest learning curve I've encountered.

mr_Big_
On 1/27/2021 at 1:24 AM, oOSIKOo said:

no need to be a dick. offer to help or dont say anything at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
TensedTatterTot

OP which country are you in?

A lot of what you describe is game sense. Whilst there are some realistic aspects of this game, the core gameplay isn't realistic at all. Hopefully that will change with the movement rework. Slow and methodical will get you killed unless you know which angles to check often. 

If you're EU then maybe I could play some games with you. I am not a chad player and often play solo (which is a viable option, don't listen to people that tell you otherwise) but could give you a hand and talk some things through.

TensedTatterTot
On 1/27/2021 at 8:37 PM, Deucey said:

The quests are pretty damn terrible.

Ruecklicht

I'm  a noob as well and my tactic is simple.

- scav runs for loot, PMC runs for surviving, tasks and Pvp only of its one player that cannot be avoided.

- run only if necessary, setup your stealth button and make use of it

- run from cover to cover, scan, repeat

- use headsets

- read the ballistics tables and learn them by heart, test your weapons config in offline raids.

ICEWALLOWPISM8

everyone saying this is a squad based game or duo based game is so biased its almost appalling. me and my friend bought this game together not too long ago and we still get absolutely destroyed by high level solos as a newbie duo. the amount of solos there are absolutely murdering newbies and vets alike is so annoying as well. granted I am a newbie myself I can second this guy's opinion its damn near impossible to get to level 10. I've looked through forums and I've looked through discussions always saying the same thing. GO SCAV AND SELL. that gets me nowhere if I just get shot to death within an instant of spawning in as one. so I understand why so many people especially NEW people hate the game and often uninstall or ask for refunds. its unfair to the newbies. some dude in a tachanka hat will tank any sort of ammo a level 1-9 can throw at it just to get domed by the man himself. if anything the flea market should be open regardless of level. that at least gives new players a chance to get DECENT GEAR off the get go. i got that this game is supposed to be hardcore and realistic. but its infuriating at the same time because of that fact. its like the old flash game age of war the newbies are back in the stone age while vets are sitting at futuristic times. there is no competition. there is no solace. and there is no "getting good from ground zero". I've lost all my stuff at least 6 times and had to spend 100s of units to get gear back just to complete the quests given to "level up" its disheartening and exhausting. people say practice tactics but doing so as a SCAV takes ages. you spawn in get some gear and die to an extract squatter. wait 20 min. repeat. its an endless loop that's so tiring I often just leave game and don't come back for days. I hear rumors that everything will change once the new update that requires actual armor plates come but I honestly don't see a difference. you buy the plate holder you buy plates for it and then bing bang boom its the current times right then and there. newbies will sill get killed by some high tier high level vet and cant do anything about it.     

idk that's just my opinion

MarcBorgia
On 1/28/2021 at 5:10 PM, TensedTatterTot said:

The quests are pretty damn terrible.

Yeah my jeager is stuck at lvl 3 because i refuse to do his current tasks because they are miserable for me. Wish they would completely rework his instead of just slightly decreasing the requirements. Even if they just add a buy out option, like 10x whatever the reward price would be for completing. Irritating to have things locked behind half cocked quests.

Maybe just remove some traders and have a more organized system? Therapist for meds obviously, prapor for russian weapons and attachments, peacekeeper for nato, mechanic for any odd balls, ragman for gear and clothing, then fence for the junk the others wont buy like it is now. Wouldnt need to make up so many bs quests.

TensedTatterTot
10 hours ago, ICEWALLOWPISM8 said:

everyone saying this is a squad based game or duo based game is so biased its almost appalling. me and my friend bought this game together not too long ago and we still get absolutely destroyed by high level solos as a newbie duo. the amount of solos there are absolutely murdering newbies and vets alike is so annoying as well. granted I am a newbie myself I can second this guy's opinion its damn near impossible to get to level 10. I've looked through forums and I've looked through discussions always saying the same thing. GO SCAV AND SELL. that gets me nowhere if I just get shot to death within an instant of spawning in as one. so I understand why so many people especially NEW people hate the game and often uninstall or ask for refunds. its unfair to the newbies. some dude in a tachanka hat will tank any sort of ammo a level 1-9 can throw at it just to get domed by the man himself. if anything the flea market should be open regardless of level. that at least gives new players a chance to get DECENT GEAR off the get go. i got that this game is supposed to be hardcore and realistic. but its infuriating at the same time because of that fact. its like the old flash game age of war the newbies are back in the stone age while vets are sitting at futuristic times. there is no competition. there is no solace. and there is no "getting good from ground zero". I've lost all my stuff at least 6 times and had to spend 100s of units to get gear back just to complete the quests given to "level up" its disheartening and exhausting. people say practice tactics but doing so as a SCAV takes ages. you spawn in get some gear and die to an extract squatter. wait 20 min. repeat. its an endless loop that's so tiring I often just leave game and don't come back for days. I hear rumors that everything will change once the new update that requires actual armor plates come but I honestly don't see a difference. you buy the plate holder you buy plates for it and then bing bang boom its the current times right then and there. newbies will sill get killed by some high tier high level vet and cant do anything about it.     

idk that's just my opinion

Many advantages to playing as a solo. Demands correct placement, movement and flanks. Some of my solo fights can last 20+ minutes if the other player is better geared than me. I love playing solo.

Spectator6
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 1:35 AM, BrettB said:

Which leads me to a question of my own. Is medium scav count above 'As online'?

IIRC, there is an "As Online" option for both quantity and difficulty.

imbalapis

Agree.

I bought this game 3 days ago,Now I lost everything I had in my inventory.No escape succceed.

What’s more sad is that I can’t use market services.The bullets I can buy now from NPC cannot penetrate any player's armor.It means i got an absolute disadvantage in any PVP, whether it is a head-on conflict or a sneak attack.

You want to get better ammunition?Go to complete NPC missions.
You want to complete NPC missions?Use high-level ammunition.It's a vicious circle.

(In other words, I lost 45 dollars in my real life XD)

Edited by imbalapis
  • Sad 1
Snot_Shot
54 minutes ago, imbalapis said:

Agree.

I bought this game 3 days ago,Now I lost everything I had in my inventory.No escape succceed.

What’s more sad is that I can’t use market services.The bullets I can buy now from NPC cannot penetrate any player's armor.It means i got an absolute disadvantage in any PVP, whether it is a head-on conflict or a sneak attack.

You want to get better ammunition?Go to complete NPC missions.
You want to complete NPC missions?Use high-level ammunition.It's a vicious circle.

(In other words, I lost 45 dollars in my real life XD)

Honestly, its very hard not to curse people who post stuff like this, it really is.

Recent ingame event was a proof that gear & ammo can be beaten with game knowledge. Kedr with basic ammo was slaying top geared players.

Without even going into a single raid you can reach lvl 5 by examining all items via Fence. Then is takes just 5-6 quests to get to lvl 10 so you can use the market. However if your a$$ is broke market is no use to you, either way you wont be able to afford 1500 rubles per round.

How on earth you have no items left when you can use your scav to just spawn and go straight to the exit? You do not fight, loot or care about the "run through"! If you are broke you go to the exit the very second you spawn in.

People, please stop being a victim all the time!

• Upvote 1
imbalapis
22 minutes ago, Snot_Shot said:

Honestly, its very hard not to curse people who post stuff like this, it really is.

Recent ingame event was a proof that gear & ammo can be beaten with game knowledge. Kedr with basic ammo was slaying top geared players.

Without even going into a single raid you can reach lvl 5 by examining all items via Fence. Then is takes just 5-6 quests to get to lvl 10 so you can use the market. However if your a$$ is broke market is no use to you, either way you wont be able to afford 1500 rubles per round.

How on earth you have no items left when you can use your scav to just spawn and go straight to the exit? You do not fight, loot or care about the "run through"! If you are broke you go to the exit the very second you spawn in.

People, please stop being a victim all the time!

yep i am a newbie

I MEAN I LOST 45$.THAT'S ALL

I am not a victim, I bought this game voluntarily, and I accept the loss.

I am not afraid of losing assets, in fact in another game, I lost a Titan.

In EVE, I understand that you should not use ships that you cannot afford. The same is true in tarkov. I know what I might lose every time I deploy.

Edited by imbalapis