Low Clock Speeds, GPU Usage and FPS drops on AMD RX 6800

pretendasaur

I've managed to find stock a RX 6800 in stock and replaced my GTX 1080 Founders Edition with an AMD GPU for the first time ever! I uninstalled Nvidia Drivers with DDU and installed the most recent Radeon 21.x driver. Cyberpunk 2077, Control and Baldur's Gate 3 all run much better and at a much higher frame rate on my 1440p, 144Hz LG 27G850 which I'm super happy with.

However, when it came to Escape from Tarkov I've gotten some really weird performance issues that seem specific to this game and I've seen instances of this on COD MW/CW too.

On my GTX 1080, I could reach 60-70fps with Medium textures and shadows with minimum Object LOD, Overall Visiblity and Shadow Distance. Supersampling at 1x and everything else turned off. My GPU clocks were normal, GPU usage around 80% and everything was stable.

I wanted more frames with my 6800 but for some reason after installation, my clocks are really low. So on those same settings, I get 60-70fps but my clocks were jumping around wildly between 100Mhz-950Mhz and about 30% utilisation.

I've read on the forums and on reddit threads that sometimes the GPU on some games goes into a weird power saving mode and you have to push it harder to get the clocks to go up.

The problem is that when I set everything to max and Supersampling to 1x, nothing changes on my clocks and my fps drops to 40fps. Utilisation stays the same, around 30%.

When I set Supersampling to 2x and everything else to off/minimum, then the card performs correctly at 1800Mhz-2050Mhz but now I'm rendering a 2880p image and my fps is still only 65-75. My GPU usage goes up to 80%-90%.

When I jump into an offline whilst testing I've also gotten the same behaviour as some other people have reported when the framerate starts really high at like 110fps and then drops to 80fps, then 65fps and then stays there.

I've tried multiple combinations of Vsync off and on in game and in the Radeon settings, Freesync off and on. Borderless and Fullscreen perform the same. I've tried uninstalling MSI Afterburner and shutting down the other Radeon applications in task manager but those have no effect.

I've tried uninstalling the Radeon driver and installing the previous 20.x version with DDU and that didn't work. Even so, this is a problem I'm getting that's specific to Tarkov, the game I play the most. When I lower Cyberpunk settings my fps shoots up into the 100s. My GPU usage goes to 99% when I set everything to low in that game with high clock speeds around the 2100Mhz range.

I've also tried setting a minimum clock speed both in % terms and in Mhz in the Radeon Tuning settings. I've tried increasing the power budget and the fan speed limits and that does push the fps to 75-80fps but the frametiming is even worse than before and the GPU usage reads at 50%.

No matter what I try, the game refuses to give me a stable higher framerate, either the card doesn't respond correctly and gives me a low clock speed, or I have to push over the top settings which gives me the same framerate anyway.

What am I missing? How are people getting stable high framerates on these new Nvidia/AMD cards? How does something like this even happen? I know this game is in beta, but it seems like this is an issue that even happens in games like COD so there must be something that isn't been done in the driver/game/windows/hardware that's causing these issues.

Also unfortunately, Radeon's built in Overlay doesn't show up in screenshots and MSI Afterburner is uninstalled.

TL;DR Low GPU usage on a new RX 6800 which I can't seem to force into a normal base or boost clock and reliably get over 70fps.

Has anyone managed to alleviate these issues? Or able to offer any insight?

Overall Specs:
2700x, RX 6800, 32GB RAM, installed on an M.2, LG 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Here is a link to my full build:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cloudpc/saved/VhbMnQ

On 1/31/2021 at 8:01 PM, pretendasaur said:

I've managed to find stock a RX 6800 in stock and replaced my GTX 1080 Founders Edition with an AMD GPU for the first time ever! I uninstalled Nvidia Drivers with DDU and installed the most recent Radeon 21.x driver. Cyberpunk 2077, Control and Baldur's Gate 3 all run much better and at a much higher frame rate on my 1440p, 144Hz LG 27G850 which I'm super happy with.

However, when it came to Escape from Tarkov I've gotten some really weird performance issues that seem specific to this game and I've seen instances of this on COD MW/CW too.

On my GTX 1080, I could reach 60-70fps with Medium textures and shadows with minimum Object LOD, Overall Visiblity and Shadow Distance. Supersampling at 1x and everything else turned off. My GPU clocks were normal, GPU usage around 80% and everything was stable.

I wanted more frames with my 6800 but for some reason after installation, my clocks are really low. So on those same settings, I get 60-70fps but my clocks were jumping around wildly between 100Mhz-950Mhz and about 30% utilisation.

I've read on the forums and on reddit threads that sometimes the GPU on some games goes into a weird power saving mode and you have to push it harder to get the clocks to go up.

The problem is that when I set everything to max and Supersampling to 1x, nothing changes on my clocks and my fps drops to 40fps. Utilisation stays the same, around 30%.

When I set Supersampling to 2x and everything else to off/minimum, then the card performs correctly at 1800Mhz-2050Mhz but now I'm rendering a 2880p image and my fps is still only 65-75. My GPU usage goes up to 80%-90%.

When I jump into an offline whilst testing I've also gotten the same behaviour as some other people have reported when the framerate starts really high at like 110fps and then drops to 80fps, then 65fps and then stays there.

I've tried multiple combinations of Vsync off and on in game and in the Radeon settings, Freesync off and on. Borderless and Fullscreen perform the same. I've tried uninstalling MSI Afterburner and shutting down the other Radeon applications in task manager but those have no effect.

I've tried uninstalling the Radeon driver and installing the previous 20.x version with DDU and that didn't work. Even so, this is a problem I'm getting that's specific to Tarkov, the game I play the most. When I lower Cyberpunk settings my fps shoots up into the 100s. My GPU usage goes to 99% when I set everything to low in that game with high clock speeds around the 2100Mhz range.

I've also tried setting a minimum clock speed both in % terms and in Mhz in the Radeon Tuning settings. I've tried increasing the power budget and the fan speed limits and that does push the fps to 75-80fps but the frametiming is even worse than before and the GPU usage reads at 50%.

No matter what I try, the game refuses to give me a stable higher framerate, either the card doesn't respond correctly and gives me a low clock speed, or I have to push over the top settings which gives me the same framerate anyway.

What am I missing? How are people getting stable high framerates on these new Nvidia/AMD cards? How does something like this even happen? I know this game is in beta, but it seems like this is an issue that even happens in games like COD so there must be something that isn't been done in the driver/game/windows/hardware that's causing these issues.

Also unfortunately, Radeon's built in Overlay doesn't show up in screenshots and MSI Afterburner is uninstalled.

TL;DR Low GPU usage on a new RX 6800 which I can't seem to force into a normal base or boost clock and reliably get over 70fps.

Has anyone managed to alleviate these issues? Or able to offer any insight?

Overall Specs:
2700x, RX 6800, 32GB RAM, installed on an M.2, LG 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Here is a link to my full build:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cloudpc/saved/VhbMnQ

Its not your card, unless its doing it in other games. it seems its finally becoming common because ive had these issues for a LONG time. you cant do anything, and there is nothing to find online, ive been looking for months. good luck, hopefully they will fix the game. your 1080 will do the exact same now, and you'll likely be stuck with it until its addressed in 15 million months. I have a 1060 6gb and i used to get 90-100 frames on medium-high medium shadows so on. now my gpu usage tanks and i get 50-60-70 if im really lucky

Lol, that's great to hear...

So frustrating as the card is amazing for so many other games. I've had to RMA the card as there were some other power related issues I was having but thanks for your insight!

Hey, you can try disabling ULPS in key registry. Maybe it will help!

You can disable this feature manually by entering regedit , select EDIT at the top of the page , enter ULPS in the 'find what' box , then click 'find next' to search instances of of 'Enable ULPS' (there will be several with crossfire). Each time  a instance is found , change the default value of "1" to a "0" then at EDIT again choose 'find next' until there are no more. Change only the ones named "EnableULPS". 

Do not change the registry item 'EnableUlps_NA' !!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 10:45 PM, dqpowered said:

Hey, you can try disabling ULPS in key registry. Maybe it will help!

You can disable this feature manually by entering regedit , select EDIT at the top of the page , enter ULPS in the 'find what' box , then click 'find next' to search instances of of 'Enable ULPS' (there will be several with crossfire). Each time  a instance is found , change the default value of "1" to a "0" then at EDIT again choose 'find next' until there are no more. Change only the ones named "EnableULPS". 

Do not change the registry item 'EnableUlps_NA' !!!

What are the utility to disable this ? 

hello, i have buy a new graphic card ( RX 6800 xt ) and why a have more fps with my GTX 1070 than my rx 6800 xt :(  please patch the game for RX6800xt

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I have found with Russian games like this as well as the STALKER games, the CPU is what makes a bigger difference. More so than the GPU. This is my build and I average about 90 FPS. That is unfortunate as hell that that's happening to you bro, it was definitely the case for me with my other rig and gaming laptop :(

Screenshot 2021-03-21 091642.png

2021-03-21[09-14] (0).png