Full Auto Meta, Single Fire Punishing Should Be Changed.

exordio

This game prides itself on its punishing realism and it does so very well, however I find that there is one aspect that does not make much sense and that is the recoil and gun modes.

I am seeing a reoccurring theme of laser hipfire and the fact that single firing seems to be incredibly punishing vs auto. How I understand the recoil works (from my limited testing) the longer you shoot the less "kicky" the recoil becomes (correct me if I am wrong). But if we look at real life experiences with weaponry, full auto is so uncontrollable throughout the fight that it only becomes reliable when you know the target is too close and you will hit most if not all bullets. I do think that with this full auto meta, tarkov has entered a bit of a saddening meta, in which fully geared players are running around mowing down all pmcs from most ranges (with perhaps the exception from long range, but with how there are slight desyncs and the characters move quite fast, hitting long range shots can be tough.) 

I personally would recommend changing this around so that the gun types better fit their strengths. Of course I imagine many people are fine with the way it is and I am open to hear why it should remain the way it is right now but I still imagine that using more single firing and burst firing is more realistic and tarkov is a game that prides it self on a form of realism. Nevertheless as I just said tarkov is a game and therefore the devs can change certain aspects of the realistic world they've created as they please and I do not mind that.

This is purely an opinion/feedback and something I want to bring up because I am just seeing this reoccurring theme of full auto showdowns at all kinds of ranges and situations where they might not be implemented.

• Like 2
p4nnus

I agree with you, the recoil should be changed. The feature of self-stabilizing full auto recoil is not fitting in a game like EFT. It takes away from the immersion and otherwise meaty feeling gun handling. The recoil of all weapons was increased in this wipe, which is a step towards the right direction, but full-auto recoil and spread should be increased more too, because as you said everything but full-auto is a disadvantage even to medium range targets.

Im hoping that at some point the fellas at BSG realize how this form of recoil doesnt really feel at home in EFT, especially after some other realism driven features are implemented in to EFT. We will see though.

• Like 1
Servicer_Skynet

I feel like it should be a mixed bag. Technically, longer bursts are advantageous because you can walk your bullets on target, but...

At the rate you burn ammunition, and the period it leaves you vulnerable...

On the other hand, firing in a 3-5 round burst of bullets in the automatic mode will grant much better consistency, but is slower.

...maybe this should be a mix, then. I honestly think that one of the major nerfs for automatic gunspray is realistic armour protection. When the spray of 855 bullets bounces off the enemy's fortified armour like spitballs, while an aimed burst can down the enemy through the weak point of the armour... But, of course, as well know, that is not what happens in Tarkov.

p4nnus
18 hours ago, Servicer_Skynet said:

When the spray of 855 bullets bounces off the enemy's fortified armour like spitballs, while an aimed burst can down the enemy through the weak point of the armour... But, of course, as well know, that is not what happens in Tarkov.

I think you should focus this discussion to threads that talk about armor. That said, as it was explained to you, M855 is not that good at penetrating, theres plenty of plates out there that can even stop .308 AP and 7.62x54R AP rounds. Yes, several rounds.

What comes to rest of what you said: right now the game walks the bullets for you. EFT literally counters the recoil for you after the initial recoil of the first 3-5 shots. Thats what should be changed, there should be proper recoil for the entire burst/mag dump what ever.

ACuddlyBadger

Recoil assist *true* blah blah blah.

Give guns recoil directions (muzzle drifts in a straight line radially from the bore line in any random direction, AK's kick up to the right, AR's kick straight up, crazy compensators kick down, etc. 

Replace recoil assist with the opposite. If you start firing in full auto and you let your aim drift too far up, you incur an exponential recoil penalty. This simulates losing control of the gun. This would force players who aren't good with their platform to fire in bursts. 

Aim stamina affects point fire accuracy. 

Aim stamina is rapidly depleted when controlling recoil. If mouse movements are made when firing, this drains stamina. 

Moving while point fire shooting converts most recoil to horizontal recoil which kicks to either side. Recoil magnitude scales with movement speed. 

Changing direction when strafing greatly amplifies horizontal recoil.

RN the gunplay is rudimentary and destined for scrapping. 

• Upvote 1
Gwynbleeidd
On 2/21/2021 at 1:45 PM, exordio said:

This game prides itself on its punishing realism and it does so very well, however I find that there is one aspect that does not make much sense and that is the recoil and gun modes.

I am seeing a reoccurring theme of laser hipfire and the fact that single firing seems to be incredibly punishing vs auto. How I understand the recoil works (from my limited testing) the longer you shoot the less "kicky" the recoil becomes (correct me if I am wrong). But if we look at real life experiences with weaponry, full auto is so uncontrollable throughout the fight that it only becomes reliable when you know the target is too close and you will hit most if not all bullets. I do think that with this full auto meta, tarkov has entered a bit of a saddening meta, in which fully geared players are running around mowing down all pmcs from most ranges (with perhaps the exception from long range, but with how there are slight desyncs and the characters move quite fast, hitting long range shots can be tough.) 

I personally would recommend changing this around so that the gun types better fit their strengths. Of course I imagine many people are fine with the way it is and I am open to hear why it should remain the way it is right now but I still imagine that using more single firing and burst firing is more realistic and tarkov is a game that prides it self on a form of realism. Nevertheless as I just said tarkov is a game and therefore the devs can change certain aspects of the realistic world they've created as they please and I do not mind that.

This is purely an opinion/feedback and something I want to bring up because I am just seeing this reoccurring theme of full auto showdowns at all kinds of ranges and situations where they might not be implemented.

Yeah its really not great. It feels like single fire weapons don't even have a place in Tarkov at the moment unless you can one tap a player from range. Full auto seems to be the ONLY way to go while single fire is like there just for looks

• Like 1