I'm feeling so defeated, I can't seem to kill anyone or my shot is not hitting

N0T_D3v1LGaming

N0T_D3v1LGaming

This is my first wipe and I have around 100-200 hours in-game. My kill count is low, most of those were against ungeared/mid-gear players.

I've been gaming for around 6 years and do well on other FPS games, but just suck with Tarkov. I've tried all kinds of strategies, practiced a ton in offline raids, studied some maps. I have no problem killing all AI Scavs/bosses offline. But when I go online, my shot will not hit against other players even scav, I just can't win.

I thought hitting level 10 and had access to buy good ammo, that would help me, but it doesn't seem to be working. (a bit)

I just lost a lot of loot on Interchange, geared up with level 5 armor and helmet, fully modded RPK, with 2 60 rounds mags and 30 rounds full of 5.45 7n39 rounds. Running with group of 5, 3 died and only 2 left, at that point I was filled to the brim with loot getting back to my friend location and encounter 2 a scav, I mag dump into the scav body (I have my cross hair on him) close range but he some how still alive for 3 seconds and killed me with shotgun slug (4-6 shots) on the body (I raged and didnt check the ammo). Apparently he was the pmc in our 5 mans going scav, he laughed and rub it all over my face cause he killed me (got killed by other friend right after). I was so defeated I have no word to descrise that emotion I was going through. At that point I don't even know if it was me or the server anymore (singapore). I try and try and try and try but I just can not get good at the game.

I'm starting to get really demoralized and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want to have fun and PvP but after losing so many gunfights after dumping so many rounds into people with no kills, its starting to get to me. I watch other people play and they make it look so easy and can down most players quickly with a flick of a finger.

Any tips would be appreciated, I swear the game gonna be the death of me someday.

• Like 1
Shibre93100

want to get good?

Try and play solo with no one to rely on for a change...

You don't get better with a full team watching your ass all the time cmon

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1
drikfan

One thing I can say that might make you feel better is that you're not alone. Everyone who plays has gone through what you're describing. When you watch a streamer who does things so easily, remember they have thousands and thousands of hours in the game over the last several years.

This is a very big game and there's a ton to learn. On top of that, even the very best have bad days where nothing seems to go right. It's just the nature of this game. High highs and low lows. 

Take breaks and watch beginner/informational videos on youtube. I don't think that watching streamers PVP is really the best way to get good. If you try to emulate their play when your skills and knowledge aren't there yet, you're going to get wrecked. 

There are a lot of good youtube channels out there. JesseKazam, Veritas, Pestily come to mind.

paracelsus1981

If you play with people who are not a real team (people who have impecable communication skills, know cardinal directions on the spot without "ehm...äh...uhm" moaning and have a high level of comms discipline) you are in a real disadvantage. So often I had teams running past me since everybody things the pointman has everything in check. They often literally walk over me since "the pointman didn´t see anything so it´s save" rules their mindset. And then all I need to do is shoot them in the back.

Apart from this, the game is in a bad spot movement-wise right now. People can avoid bullets because on-the-spot motions happen way too quickly, so they twist and wiggle past the bullets like Neo in the Matrix. I hope that inertia update will hit the servers as soon as possible. Then the game will change massively.

However I don´t know what your gamestyle is, how careful you are with creating noise, how your movement/cover pattern and ratio is. I use a lot of cover, and play a lot of offline and Scav raids to really learn the maps and know about bottlenecks and attack angles. I move only from cover to cover and always check whether someone follows me. Maybe you should think about how you use your equipment better. A lot of people don´t know when it´s better to turn of their lasers for example. Can be many things.

Edited by Ruecklicht
Aazatgrabya

I'm helping three new players through their first steps in the game.  The one who goes out most solo is progressing the fastest.

My early days were exceptionally hard too and I nearly rage quit a few times.  The best lesson I learned was try to kick gear fear - it makes you overly defensive and risk averse.  You never want to lose your gear, but once I'd jumped this hurdle I had access to out-of-reach kit simply from the virtue of killing people who can afford it.

Persist, persist, persist.  You'll get there - and it's so much more fun when you do!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Obsydea

Knowledge is power. A true statement in tarkov. RPK's use 5.45x39; the ammo is NOT a ' good ammo. ' Sure it has high pen. But the flesh damage is laughable. Any ammo that requires 3 hits to thorax I tend to avoid personally. Unless for a quest, I avoid the 5.45x39 lineup of firearms completely.

I would suggest trying out low recoil, higher end caliber fire arms. Even 7.62x39 is better imo [ bp that is. ] Sure it has less pen, but it's unforgiving for armor damage and flesh damage. 

scrappercb

RPK is pretty meta for 5.45.  That shouldn't be a problem in getting kills.  That said I've noticed whenever I've played in 4 man squads that the desync seems to get turbo charged.  I'd try a few solo raids and see if your experience is the same.  I play on Singapore & OCE and don't have the same problems you're experiencing. 

Happy to squad up with you sometime, add me in game.

Edited by scrappercb
N0T_D3v1LGaming
1 hour ago, scrappercb said:

RPK is pretty meta for 5.45.  That shouldn't be a problem in getting kills.  That said I've noticed whenever I've played in 4 man squads that the desync seems to get turbo charged.  I'd try a few solo raids and see if your experience is the same.  I play on Singapore & OCE and don't have the same problems you're experiencing. 

Happy to squad up with you sometime, add me in game.

Do you have a discord server or something? I'm taking a break for a few days to cool down for now

Why am I not surprised of betrayal in Tarkov? Anyways, Tarkov is quite realistic. A bullet won't necessarily kill somebody, and depending on type of ammo used versus type of armor used by opponent might be ineffective. Also in other FPS it is usually badly done with recoil, so that you can empty a complete magazine on full auto on the enemy while hitting them. In Tarkov, recoil makes this rather difficult, not to mention unsustainable as it's a waste of perfectly good ammo. Instead, fire in small bursts or put the weapon to single shot and do double taps.

Ammo wise I try to emulate military, 5.56 or 7.62 types. They have low enough recoil to make it possible to shoot quickly, but enough penetration / damage to hurt the enemy. It also helps to keep in mind that if you hit another player, their movement is decreased and they may be heavily wounded. In this case sometimes it's better to retreat gracefully and return when they have bleed out - but you never know if they have health items. So have patience.

Cover is key in Tarkov too. Trees are somewhat OK to make it hard to hit you, concrete is better. It's best not to be exposed. Best not to rush towards enemies if they have a shotgun.

JerryLove
46 minutes ago, otezun said:

Why am I not surprised of betrayal in Tarkov? Anyways, Tarkov is quite realistic.

mmmm.... some aspects of Tarkov are realistic... and adding more is the goal. 

But some are rather not-realistic because it's hard to code (the way armor damages and hitboxes)

And others are not realistic because gameplay (like limited exits on the map or the inability to break doors). 

And then there's magic medicine. 

I love Tarkov, and it's perfectly fine to say of something "this is an area where they are striving to be realistic"; but it's not a blanket appeal that can be used to excuse any design choice either. 

BruxiePC

TIP: Start using one gun setup that you like or are familiar with. The AK-74M can be easily and cheaply modded to become a reliable weapon.  Build like 3-4 of the same weapon loadout so if you die you can easily re gear. Over time you will get much more confident in pvp as you know the strengths and limits of your weapon. Knowing your weapon combined with map knowledge will do great things for you in EFT.

DissAbledGamer

A) Learn the map. Literally learn as much as you can humanly tolerate. Mainly what type of food steps make what kind of sound and their location, loot always spawns in the same area so knowing where your enemy is positioned is priority, since you can't safely loot if you don't know where enemies are. 

B) Learn the Guns and their attachments. You have two choices, either learn all the guns gradually or stick to few. Knowing how to use the multitude of arms will always be a lot more enjoyable down the road, but singling out a few guns well help you be more combat ready in a shorter amount of time. (Personally thing running only meta guns 99% of the time is boring as all hell, but that's just me)

C) Play solo... the game has too extreme of a learning curve for beginners and trying to team play while learning the basics makes it take that much longer. 

I have 4k hours now, and looking back I didn't touch bigger guns until I was able to get pistol kills consistently. Once pistol kills became a regular thing, I was able to graduate to other guns and tap and kill with greater ease than pistols for obvious reasons. Then moved onto guns that are designed to be sprayed. 

I can guarantee that if you can start killing people with the PM Pistol using PBM/PMM via headshot or whatever, you can kill anyone with any gun. You'd be surprised how many "meta" m4/hk/slick exfil kits I've acquired using a PM pistol... It costs like 6k from Prapor and the ammo... you don't need more than 2 mags to upgrade a gun via killing scav or player so... pm pistol + 1 mag + 17 pbm/pmm rounds will be under 15k and that's paying extremely inflated figures via Flea.

Play your scav as much as possible, as it is a free kit/lesson with each scav raid. It also allows you to explore the map with minimal threat compared to going in as a PMC. 

bobdole513
19 hours ago, JerryLove said:

mmmm.... some aspects of Tarkov are realistic... and adding more is the goal. 

But some are rather not-realistic because it's hard to code (the way armor damages and hitboxes)

And others are not realistic because gameplay (like limited exits on the map or the inability to break doors). 

And then there's magic medicine. 

I love Tarkov, and it's perfectly fine to say of something "this is an area where they are striving to be realistic"; but it's not a blanket appeal that can be used to excuse any design choice either. 

it's a pendulum, some really realistic features, others that are a joke compared to real life

to OP, use your scav a lot to get comfortable on maps to figure out the normal flow of traffic and loot areas, mapgenie is great too for help getting to loot to keep your money churning

vor 22 Stunden schrieb JerryLove:

That is a very accurate statement. What I meant was it's more realistic than other games in the "genre". Those where you are a bullet sponge, but somehow still alive when you should be Swiss cheese. Especially the mainstream shooter games are to be mentioned here...except for maybe Arma3, but that's a whole different idea/gameplay. Also you can indeed dominate players who are way higher level if you play it right - today I killed a 43 and a 44 level player with only a P226 (no idea why they were in the same match even though I'm only level 6 or 7). Only to be killed by a SCAV afterwards. Painful.

vor einer Stunde schrieb SamSlade:

TBH your shots probably aren't registering... the servers and netcode in Tarkov are utter trash.

I wouldn't say it's complete trash. It doesn't have constant "connection ouf of sync" errors like some other games. I do hope they will update the games netcode and servers though - although playing on Swedish server I didn't have too many problems until now. You got to keep in mind it is in beta and making such games is not easy. Now that isn't an excuse for such problems, but with everything in Tarkov it may get resolved with a little bit of patience.

shamrock113
21 hours ago, TheBoysNoGood said:

just always shoot for the head. you will become good at hitting it eventually. im playing on a ps4 controller and mostly just run around with mid to no gear on at all.

scavs will kill you instantly though. if you give them the time.

Can you really play tarkov with controller? 

Caster89Actual
On 2/25/2021 at 3:25 AM, N0T_D3v1LGaming said:

This is my first wipe and I have around 100-200 hours in-game. My kill count is low, most of those were against ungeared/mid-gear players.

I've been gaming for around 6 years and do well on other FPS games, but just suck with Tarkov. I've tried all kinds of strategies, practiced a ton in offline raids, studied some maps. I have no problem killing all AI Scavs/bosses offline. But when I go online, my shot will not hit against other players even scav, I just can't win.

I thought hitting level 10 and had access to buy good ammo, that would help me, but it doesn't seem to be working. (a bit)

I just lost a lot of loot on Interchange, geared up with level 5 armor and helmet, fully modded RPK, with 2 60 rounds mags and 30 rounds full of 5.45 7n39 rounds. Running with group of 5, 3 died and only 2 left, at that point I was filled to the brim with loot getting back to my friend location and encounter 2 a scav, I mag dump into the scav body (I have my cross hair on him) close range but he some how still alive for 3 seconds and killed me with shotgun slug (4-6 shots) on the body (I raged and didnt check the ammo). Apparently he was the pmc in our 5 mans going scav, he laughed and rub it all over my face cause he killed me (got killed by other friend right after). I was so defeated I have no word to descrise that emotion I was going through. At that point I don't even know if it was me or the server anymore (singapore). I try and try and try and try but I just can not get good at the game.

I'm starting to get really demoralized and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want to have fun and PvP but after losing so many gunfights after dumping so many rounds into people with no kills, its starting to get to me. I watch other people play and they make it look so easy and can down most players quickly with a flick of a finger.

Any tips would be appreciated, I swear the game gonna be the death of me someday.

What are your PC specs and what is your internet’s up/down speed?

20 hours ago, TheBoysNoGood said:

yes i do.. and its fine.. i use xpadder. just got to get the settings good. the onloy problem is the aiming in sensitivity is really hard on controller. its swings around,. so it has to be low,, whitch hinders me when sniping long range,, i have everythin set pretty good though

Can you not fix the ADS sensitivity issue in the options?

isnt there a sensitivity setting for both point fire and ADS?

Caster89Actual
4 minutes ago, TheBoysNoGood said:

i lowerd ads

I think I get what you are saying now?

to play with a controller comfortably you need to lower your ADS sensitivity, but the law ADS sensitivity is making tracking L2R moving targets more difficult right?

you use an Xbox controller?

Caster89Actual

L2R is Left 2 Right

think, one of those carnival air rifle games with the wood ducks moving perfectly side to side.

Was gonna say I think if you are running certain types of Xbone controllers they have switches that let you switch pre loaded sensitivity settings. Would be worth a look into.

may even be a program you can install that lets you macro a sensitivity switch, though if battle eye would like that a ban is always a risk.

defurbis

learning curve is fucked cus u have to learn how to play with fat ass server delay between players. You have to lead players at unreasonable amounts at close distances. Shooting sprinting people is just fucked. Combat in general is weird and has its own playstyle  that no other games have cus they actually don't have servers ran by a hamster. Lighting system is poo, just coats players in black sometimes making u not able to see people at all. If this game wasnt so fucked it wouldnt take you like over a thousand hours to be able to kinda sorta chad it out in this game. But having to account for server delay while fighting is ass, I die behind cover almost every ducking time its ridiculous. Game has had the same shitty delay forever literally foerever, never has been fixed, devs are like ok we are modernizing servers then when the updates are done they are even more fucked. I dont understand how this is even a problemn

JerryLove
On 2/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, otezun said:

Also you can indeed dominate players who are way higher level if you play it right - today I killed a 43 and a 44 level player with only a P226 (no idea why they were in the same match even though I'm only level 6 or 7). Only to be killed by a SCAV afterwards. Painful.

I agree that you can overcome gear and avatar skills if you are good/lucky. 

I've played 200 raids and killed 3 PMCs. The only one over lvl 10 was early on. I was in a shed in the storage yard on customs, stepped out and there was a player. Desync, slow reflex... I dunno; but I put a 9x18 in his face and he dropped... and he had all the good stuff. Gear I'd never seen before, maxed out rifles. 

I duck back into the shed and put on all the gear. Crap. Gonna be a long run to the exit; but this will be amazing to play with. Finally get all geared, take two steps out of the shed, and get leg meta'd by a scav. FML :)

2 hours ago, defurbis said:

learning curve is fucked cus u have to learn how to play with fat ass server delay between players. You have to lead players at unreasonable amounts at close distances. 

Learn in offline mode. None of those issues. Online play is the same, just with added PMCs.