Abstracting Thorax health as a single number is a big balance problem.

Simply put, whenever something is given a health bar represented as a single number, balance and tactical gameplay tends to revolve around the question of:

• Can I kill this target in 1 hit?
  • Can I kill this target in 2 hits?
  • Can I kill this target in 3 hits?
  • Does it black a leg in 1 hit?

As a result, most mid-tier ammunition types in the game don't have any meaningful difference in performance, and the viability of certain  weapon systems is ultimately determined by the number of shots it takes kill  reliably. Using the Mosin as an example, when the majority of its ammunition could 1-hit kill in most situations, it was overwhelmingly used. Now with 85 thorax health, bolt-action rifles are extremely rare now except for quests. A lot of effort goes into balancing around these facts, but it'd all be unnecessary if we had a more detailed damage model.

------------------------

Instead of dealing numerical amounts of abstract damage, bullets ideally would be represented as creating cavities in the human body that might intersect with vital areas. If the player character had organs for example:

• Heart is an immediate kill.
  • Spine is an immediate kill.
  • Both lungs gone kills (unconscious) after a dozen or so seconds.
  • If you lose too much blood, you pass out (effectively a kill).

Simply put, the effectiveness of a bullet is now represented by how large the cavity it creates on impact. A  7.62 hollowpoint round will cause a lot more trauma than lets say a 9x19 AP round; however, both can still be lethal in the right spot. This creates much more granular balancing among ammunition types (wider impact area instead of a damage number) while simultaneously rewarding accurate shooting. It's also a nudge towards realism in that many bullet impacts don't result in immediate death, but rather death in a few seconds later in which the target may still be dangerous depending on a lot of factors.

------------------------

Moreover,  a rework to armor vest plates and hitboxes is on the horizon already. Some kind of redo of the health system is going to be needed anyways if armor is to remain viable from a cost-standpoint in Tarkov. Having it protect smaller vital areas would go a long way in helping it stay relevant.

------------------------

Here is a detailed example just to help people imagine a how a system might work. Lets say the thorax was 256 voxels arranged in a tight cylinder. Any outer voxel that's damaged has to be bandaged to stop bloodloss. Any inner voxel that's damaged is internal bleeding that can't be fixed. Too much internal bleeding and you will have to extract in the next few dozen minutes to survive. 6 voxels represent the heart and its major arteries. Another 18 voxels are the spine, another 30 is a lung, etc. To simplify calculations, each bullet type has a unique pre-determined shape that its impact volume will take inside the body.  Upon bullet impact, the cavity's radius is multiplied by a tiny factor based on the velocity of impact (see kinetic energy), armor damage penetration reduction, and whether it manages to fully exit the body, etc. The game checks if any voxels inside are intersecting with the cavity volume and then damages them. From the receiving player's perspective on the health screen, they might see a red number showing the current rate of  blood loss and status effects like "minor lung damage". From a performance standpoint, only the player who has taken damage needs to be sent information on which thorax voxels are damaged upon bullet impact so it shouldn't be an issue on networking traffic.

------------------------

Regardless of what happens in the future, it may be time to start discussing how Tarkov should move beyond the problem of 1-hit, 2-hit, 3-hit kills affecting balance so strongly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hot 1
  • Upvote 1
JerryLove

I'm not sure where their final result will lie; but the devs are adding smaller and more nuanced hitboxes. 

How much detail is too much detail though? You've not accounted for how adreneline works (or runs out), nor issues like hydrostatic shock. Then there's issues like mechanical stability (IRL: I recommend taking your first shot at the pelvic girdle and letting the recoil bring you to center mass, specifically because regardless of feeling pain, sufficient damage there makes standing/running a mechanical impossibility) .

"Complex enough to be interesting/immersive" needs to be combines with "simple enough to be interesting / tactical / playable". 

Further, and I realize you are attempting to add immersion, in many ways this break immersion (see: medical procedures on your own lungs). 

Being a single number is fine.

The problem lies with the types of armor and ammo we have access to.
Most of the differences you lament as being absent exist when you operate in a cutout (e.g.: 9mm vs PACA), but with the variety and range of equipment quality you cannot expect to always challenge a player that is equipped for interesting interaction: usually they will have a one-sided advantage/disadvantage.

It would also be a significantly easier solution to just rework the ammo types to have better defined purposes, e.g.: instead of all AP rounds having both high penetration and armor damage, have some rounds that specialize in penetrating armor immediately(good pen, bad armor damage) and some that specialize in obliterating it(good armor damage, average pen).

paracelsus1981

Like the ideas, but wonder how that is feasible with regards to netcode. That´s a lot of additional information. We defo need something that shows the effect of body hits other than just death and limping.

thekins

But your failing to realize that all that does is take a system (thats already pretty random) and making it more random

even when you sling m61s at someone's chest which is a guaranteed 2 hit kill sometimes its like 5? 

Also your last comment talks about 1 hit 2 hit 3 hit concept while also adding that concept back in but making it extremely random 

imagine spraying a dude down with 15+ rounds but he doesn't go down because you used AP rounds 

4 hours ago, thekins said:

But your failing to realize that all that does is take a system (thats already pretty random) and making it more random

even when you sling m61s at someone's chest which is a guaranteed 2 hit kill sometimes its like 5? 

Also your last comment talks about 1 hit 2 hit 3 hit concept while also adding that concept back in but making it extremely random 

imagine spraying a dude down with 15+ rounds but he doesn't go down because you used AP rounds 

Well, I saw it as a way to reward single-shot controlled fire as where you carefully aim determines exactly what kind of damage you inflict on the target with varying degrees of precision margins (HP vs AP ammo).

---------

Due to the random nature of horizontal recoil though,  I can see situations where two people spraying each other on full-auto in a hallway can lead to seemingly widely varying arbitrary results. But including hydrostatic shock or a pain threshold before passing out could be a cap on the maximum  number of bullets that a target can withstand in a short period of time. This would round out the worst extremes that could happen.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:06 AM, JerryLove said:

Then there's issues like mechanical stability (IRL: I recommend taking your first shot at the pelvic girdle and letting the recoil bring you to center mass, specifically because regardless of feeling pain, sufficient damage there makes standing/running a mechanical impossibility) .

.....in many ways this break immersion (see: medical procedures on your own lungs). 

If we had smaller organs that are required for immediate kills, then I wouldn't be opposed to having the pelvic bone be its own  separate hitbox that for  gameplay purposes required several shots to typically disable.

If fully damaged there, then you are forced prone once your stamina bar depletes (allows you to finish a firefight). A surgery kit is required  to walk again; however, for people who don't have CMS kits and don't want to spend 40 minutes crawling to an extract, there is the manual option to "give up" allowing you to crawl into a hidden bush first for insurance on your gear for example or for cases where players might get stuck behind vertical geometry.

------------

I'd see the surgery kit as being an acceptable break from reality. We already have it in-game for limbs and the stomach. In general the game should give players a reasonable chance to extract after winning a few firefights provided you have the right medical equipment on hand. (e.g. IFAIKs would stabilize heavy internal bleeding for a reasonable  amount of time and quantity to reach the extract in a raid's average timeframe).

------------

That said, I would like to see the game move away from being able to 100% ignore the consequences of taking damages in  prior fights. Taking some internal bleeding damage should push people to have to extract maybe a few minutes  earlier rather than wait the full  45 minutes of the raid. Some minor lung damage taken over the course of a few firefights should gradually accumulate and reduce your ability to hold your breath longer; just minor consequences that make people think twice about rushing headlong into every fight ought to be included.

There should be  some pressure to Escape from Tarkov rather than overstay your welcome.

Edited by Bane5
chrisragnar

First, you never die from thorax hits. You die from headshots.

Second, moving the lethal hitboxes to the heart just moved the "problem" with it. While making the game run worse because you made the health and hitboxes even more complicated. 

And you don't even have the resolution to aim for the heart. It's just basically going to be luck whether you hit or not.

At some point you make things so complicated that you no longer feel like you have any control over what's happening. It's already like that to some extent.

32 minutes ago, chrisragnar said:

And you don't even have the resolution to aim for the heart. It's just basically going to be luck whether you hit or not.

At some point you make things so complicated that you no longer feel like you have any control over what's happening. It's already like that to some extent.

Well using another game as an example: War Thunder; the interior of tanks are fully modelled. One hit to the ammunition  storage can mean instant boom. Killing all crewmembers scattered about means a functional kill. But its also possible for a tank to eat a dozen penetrating hits and still return fire if you don't land shots  in vital areas.

If anything,  accurate aim is even more important in that game, not less than other vehicle-based games. But despite some random moments happening when people turn  corners, they still have fun.

But given a more detailed damage model, I think players would naturally adjust their playstyle. Being gladiators who fight face to face full-auto in a hallway would be seen a roll of the dice. Players would naturally be more inclined to spray a bit  then scamper to cover and wait to see what kind of status effects they inflicted from audio cues. Then decide whether to engage again or break off the fight. But real world combat isn't like  Olympic Fencing where there is an honorable scoring system for landing blows. Its full of underhanded ambushes and improving your odds as best you can--nothing is certain.

Also it'd be up to players to decide what kind of ammo they need for certain situations. If sniping with AP  rounds is to unreliable to get kills, then maybe its time to  include some HP rounds  instead for  a bigger area of impact.

Edited by Bane5
gnawsz777

I like the idea, but we have items like Golden Star and Vaseline that basically fix my legs and allow me to keep running... Maybe along with changing hitboxes and the way armor works we also add more realistic medical procedures? 

It's a weird balance between being a game and being overly-realistic.

I definitely like the idea of vital organs having their own hitbox though.

Bane5
6 hours ago, gnawsz777 said:

I like the idea, but we have items like Golden Star and Vaseline that basically fix my legs and allow me to keep running... Maybe along with changing hitboxes and the way armor works we also add more realistic medical procedures? 

Items like emergency  car medical kits and IFAIKs are really meant to stabilize a person so they can live long enough to arrive at a hospital and actually get the proper medical care they need in order to survive. Instead of applying them once and walking  away with 100% health the rest of the game, it'd be better from a realism standpoint to have to apply them to temporarily stave off rapid death (very gradual instead). Minor injuries would be of little concern in a raid's timeframe,  but the need to poke yourself every few dozen minutes or perhaps every a few minutes occasionally depending on how messed up you are currently would put a timer on your need to extract based on how many meds you have and how badly injured you've been.

Items like Golden Star Balm and Vaseline could affect stress levels instead if that system ever makes into the game.

Bane5
On 2/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, chrisragnar said:

First, you never die from thorax hits. You die from headshots.

After dying to a few unlucky  instances of buckshot scavs today, it dawned on me how much organ hitboxes would help in fixing the head-eyes pandemic that currently occurs and potentially fixing a  lot of the seemingly random frustration that goes on  with fighting the AI.

----------------

I'm sure we've all been in the situation where you see a scav straight ahead in the far distance, and despite facing them and wearing a full helmet visor, you suddenly die seeing the message "head-ears". I'm sure it strikes people a bit strange that because scav just nicked the tip of your ears from an oblique angle  that you suddenly die. But with a more detailed head hitbox, you'd realize just how many headshot  situations are silly and wouldn't result in a  kill:

• Top of Head is undoubtedly a kill
  • Nape is undoubtedly a kill (or at least a functional kill)
  • Ear shots from the front or back wouldn't be a kill
    • I should be able to permanently lose hearing on one side during a raid and even go deaf if both ears are shot off!
  • Getting hit in the jaw from the side or at a slight angle that misses the spine wouldn't necessarily be a  kill either
    • Serious jaw damage might prevent you from eating/drinking for the rest of the raid (or perhaps fixable to some extent with surgery kit)
  • At certain angles, shots to the head and eyes by small calibers wouldn't be kills either if they exited and missed  the spine/brain
    • I should be able to go permanently blind in one eye losing half my field of vision in a raid.
    • Going blind in both eyes  should also be possible in rare cases!! (can manually give up at this point, but with the opportunity to drop your items in a blind corner; would lead to funny moments where your squadmates would try to guide  you to the extract over VOIP)
    • In a rare cases, a buckshot pellet fired at a straight angle but has lost a lot of kinetic energy prior may not even make it past the eye area and stop before reaching the spine.

---------------

In exchange for losing a lot of the lethality from the jaw, ears, and eyes, the neck would have its own additional hitzone.

• Spine in the neck is now a kill.
  • The esophagus damage would prevent eating/drinking
  • The bronchial tube would be a semi-lethal hit area.
    • If hit there, you have to very quickly make a cut in your neck with a melee weapon and  then insert a breathing tube  (splint maybe?) or you die/pass out within a few seconds.
    • This is especially  dangerous to scavs and hatchlings that don't carry meds (also a reason to carry splints even if you have a grizzly medkit)

---------------

I'd see it as a fix to  a lot of player frustrations with the AI while making armor even more important for protecting vital areas.

Spectator6

Excellent thread, @Bane5!

It ties into a lot of great in-depth discussions that have been had over the years. Especially the desire to make blood loss play a more prominent role.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, Bane5 said:

That said, I would like to see the game move away from being able to 100% ignore the consequences of taking damages in  prior fights.

You're in good company, a lot of veteran EFT'ers vouch for this as well :)

-----------------------------

One aspect of your post that I particularly like is introducing the concept that some wounds simply cannot be treated while in-raid. That would be a very interesting addition, IMO.

Ideally, I'd even go one step further... 

That gaping wound you have in your stomach? Well, guess what? Before you can treat it, you first have to take off your clothing layers in order to get to it. So drop your backpack, remove your armor, drop your rig, etc. And good luck doing that with a weapon in your hands, so the player needs to put that down as well. This very real panic of needing to quickly "get to" an open wound is quite intense.

And if you're wearing a particularly heavy armor? Then unless a teammate helps you take it off, perhaps you're stuck in your iron cage? Or, at the very least, maybe the player is allowed to remove it, just at the cost of a rather lengthy timer.

To go one step further still, have each of these put-on/take-off actions have their own timers and boom! Overnight, the entire threat and tone of a gunfight in EFT shifts to something much more authentic and harrowing. And because of that, the whole medical aspect of the game becomes much more immersive. Which, in turn, has ripple effects for how players approach certain situations, etc.

• Upvote 1
Shortstacker

I like the idea, but they need to be careful with how far they take it.

The one guy above me mentioned removing armour and such to conduct surgery, that seems like a bit much.

Bane5
14 hours ago, Shortstacker said:

I like the idea, but they need to be careful with how far they take it.

The one guy above me mentioned removing armour and such to conduct surgery, that seems like a bit much.

A lot depends on the details.

Having to open the inventory screen for a dozen or so seconds, several context menus, press discard multiple times, and so forth might be a bit awkward and confusing to people learning the game. But the whole process could be very streamlined.

Simply dragging a CMS kit over a chest wound would cause your character to automatically put his gun down, then automatically take his rig off, then his armor off, and then open the surgery kit all as part of one animation process. Once the surgery kit is complete, your PMC automatically puts his armor back on, then puts his rig back on. Holding left mouse button to cancel at certain points might drop your rig and armor on the ground, but it preserves the mobility vs protection  tradeoff that armor should carry and also causes a lot of audio noise that enemies might hear and then decide to push.

---------------------

There is already precedent for varying animation lengths  with the grenade throw action. If your character has no weapon in his hand, then the grenade throw process is much quicker and more spammable since it doesn't include animation frames where your character has to put his weapon aside.

• Like 1
Spectator6
49 minutes ago, Bane5 said:

A lot depends on the details.

Having to open the inventory screen for a dozen or so seconds, several context menus, press discard multiple times, and so forth might be a bit awkward and confusing to people learning the game. But the whole process could be very streamlined.

Simply dragging a CMS kit over a chest wound would cause your character to automatically put his gun down, then automatically take his rig off, then his armor off, and then open the surgery kit all as part of one animation process. Once the surgery kit is complete, your PMC automatically puts his armor back on, then puts his rig back on. Holding left mouse button to cancel at certain points might drop your rig and armor on the ground, but it preserves the mobility vs protection  tradeoff that armor should carry and also causes a lot of audio noise that enemies might hear and then decide to push.

---------------------

There is already precedent for varying animation lengths  with the grenade throw action. If your character has no weapon in his hand, then the grenade throw process is much quicker and more spammable since it doesn't include animation frames where your character has to put his weapon aside.

Great idea! I really like the concept of the character automatically stripping down as needed as part of the healing process. 

Though I wonder... Would it make more sense to let the player manually gear back up afterward? Or maybe have that become a separate "action" the user can invoke after the healing is complete?

It also makes me think back to @RACWAR's excellent post on self-surgery. How morphine might be tied into the process too.

One of the main concerns I have here is I don't want it to become a simple, "Press 4 and wait for 50 seconds while the character does everything for you" routine. Preserving some level of player involvement (though I'm not sure what or how much?) might make for a more interesting process.

Just thinking out loud here, it's admittedly rather rough around the edges:

• Get to wound 
    • Player strips down to necessary level
  • Pause for player input
    • Player can inject morphine, apply tourniquet, etc. Essentially, proceed to medical item <xyz>
  • Pause for player input
    • Get dressed again? Equip weapon? 

And these pauses don't necessarily have to be "locked into" a certain animation/avatar state. Just have the "get to wound" action become it's own thing. And from there, the player can do whatever actions he wants. So putting back on his gear could be simply manually "take-ing" the armor, then rig, then backpack back onto his character.

But again... I really like your idea @Bane5of streamlining it as much as possible. Want to heal? Then "getting to" the wound is naturally part of that process. And maybe any morphine the player wants to inject should be a separate action the player undertakes before he starts the "medding" process.

Maybe that's the better way? Just have the "get dressed again" part of the process be the usual manual "take" actions?

• Like 1
RACWAR
On 2/27/2021 at 5:09 AM, Bane5 said:

Instead of dealing numerical amounts of abstract damage, bullets ideally would be represented as creating cavities in the human body that might intersect with vital areas. If the player character had organs for example:

• Heart is an immediate kill.
  • Spine is an immediate kill.
  • Both lungs gone kills (unconscious) after a dozen or so seconds.
  • If you lose too much blood, you pass out (effectively a kill).

Love the idea. I've suggested something like this as well before.

This system of having vital organs (hitboxes) inside our character, is also something that could tie into the current heavy bleeding mechanic (which I personally think is too weak atm).

Adding different types of bleeding effect (Capillary, Venous, Arterial), and different treatments for them, some bleedings might be so severe that not even any medkit can save you and you will slowly bleed out over the course of 5 minutes if your femoral artery is severed for example. They could have hitboxes for primary arteries in your arms and legs, for example. Which, if hit, will have to be immediately treated with a tourniquet.

I just think the current zone-health system is flawed in my opinion. As an example, you can shoot someone more times if your shots are distributed across all the different body-zones (legs, arms, chest, stomach) as opposed to only putting all your shots in the same zone which will kill much quicker. This, in my opinion, can often lead to situations where you hit someone many times but they just don't die, which creates a strong contrast in time-to-kill. The introduction of unconsciousness in the future will probably change that, but I still have more ideas for it. In my opinion, severe injury and low health should put your body in a state of shock with more extreme visual on-screen-effects like extreme tunnel vision, loss of ability to see color or even ability to see completely (for a certain time), loss of hearing or reduced hearing ability with constant ear-ringing (anyone who was close to being unconscious or in a state of very low blood pressure will know that your body will shut down non-vital body functions in order to maintain the core operation).

Edited by RACWAR
Spectator6
12 minutes ago, RACWAR said:

Love the idea. I've suggested something like this as well before.

But this system of having vital organs (hitboxes) inside our character, is also something that could tie into the current heavy bleeding mechanic (which I personally think is too weak atm).

Adding different types of bleeding effect (Capillary, Venous, Arterial), and different treatments for them, some bleedings might be so severe that not even any medkit can save you and you will slowly bleed out over the course of 5 minutes if your femoral artery is severed for example. They could have hitboxes for primary arteries in your arms and legs, for example. Which, if hit, will have to be immediately treated with a tourniquet.

The current zone-health system is flawed in my opinion. As an example, you can shoot someone more times if your shots are distributed across all the different body-zones (legs, arms, chest, stomach) as opposed to only putting all your shots in the same zone which will kill much quicker. This, in my opinion, can often lead to situations where you hit someone many times but they just don't die, which creates a strong contrast in time-to-kill. The introduction of unconsciousness in the future will probably change that, but I still have more ideas for it. In my opinion, severe injury and low health should put your body in a state of shock with more extreme visual on-screen-effects like extreme tunnel vision, loss of ability to see color or even ability to see completely (for a certain time), loss of hearing or reduced hearing ability with constant ear-ringing (anyone who was close to being unconscious or in a state of very low blood pressure will know that your body will shut down non-vital body functions in order to maintain the core operation).

Good points!

I 100,000% agree that more varied "pain states" need to be introduced.

------------------------------------

That also makes me think of shotguns... Part of what makes them so destructive is the sheer amount of sensory overload involved with getting impacted over such a wide area on the body. 

I imagine something similar might be involved when multiple areas of a person are hit as well. It's so widespread that physiologically, the body isn't able to make sense of the trauma. 

Part of that realization, though, may tie back into loss of motor function... Which is near impossible to adequately convey to the player aside from a blinking indicator or readout. 

When I broke my wrist as a kid, I didn't really start to freak out and "feel pain" until I glanced down and noticed things were out of place. Before that? It was a dull discomfort thanks to my nervous system doing its thing in the background and flooding me with chemicals.

Edited by Spectator6
Bane5
On 3/3/2021 at 7:13 AM, Spectator6 said:

Good points!

I 100,000% agree that more varied "pain states" need to be introduced.

------------------------------------

That also makes me think of shotguns... Part of what makes them so destructive is the sheer amount of sensory overload involved with getting impacted over such a wide area on the body. 

Part of that realization, though, may tie back into loss of motor function... Which is near impossible to adequately convey to the player aside from a blinking indicator or readout. 

One of the most wonky feelings in-game is shooting slugs at other players at close ranges (and even the AI for that matter).

Lets say you spawn in as a player scav on factory with a slug setup. In the upper halls, you manage to catch someone off-guard looting, and since he's wearing armor, you shoot him in the arm from behind 5 meters away. What generally happens is that even before you can pump your shotgun again, the enemy will turn 180 degrees around and have sprayed you  to death instantly.

Something more than just a minor fracture is needed. And even if a high-energy impact hasn't hit the bone, there will be displacement of muscle tissue that can shift bones around. Stumbling animations/frames, potentially even having weapons drop on the ground and needing to pick them  up, and so forth are  needed.

----------

Heavy pain effects also ought to cap the turn rate of enemies significantly. This is something that would especially improve melee in my opinion. While I'm glad from a  realism standpoint that most melee blows don't kill in 1-hit, it still feels wrong  to lets say bayonet someone in the back, but still have them instantly 180 spray you from behind. If the player being ambushed in  melee had a sudden temporary heavy pain effect, then couldn't turn easily while my weapon stabbed him, then "silent" (minus the target moaning) kills could be a thing.

Bane5
Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2021 at 4:28 AM, Naqel said:

The problem lies with the types of armor and ammo we have access to.
Most of the differences you lament as being absent exist when you operate in a cutout (e.g.: 9mm vs PACA), but with the variety and range of equipment quality you cannot expect to always challenge a player that is equipped for interesting interaction: usually they will have a one-sided advantage/disadvantage.

It would also be a significantly easier solution to just rework the ammo types to have better defined purposes, e.g.: instead of all AP rounds having both high penetration and armor damage, have some rounds that specialize in penetrating armor immediately(good pen, bad armor damage) and some that specialize in obliterating it(good armor damage, average pen).

When I made this thread, I was concerned about weapon TTK being a step function. Let's say we introduce an uber armor shredding round and as a result people start making mixed magazines of 1 armor-shredder round and 1 HP round.

End game progression arrives and people are very concerned about running something that can kill as fast as possible against armored players on Labs. A problem arises in that a universal 2x AP round setup that always 2-taps is going to be superior because maybe your armor-shredding round misses the armor hitbox. So as a balance change we cause AP rounds to 3-tap people. But a side effect is that people start complaining that certain 3x burst fire weapons are now useless because 1 shot will probably miss due to recoil. What I'm trying to get at is that keeping every weapon system viable and having its place is often impossible in simple arithmetic-based systems. You see this problem most evidenced in fantasy rpgs where certain classes are not viable and it becomes a simple optimization problem to do the most dps against a raid boss.

Moving to an impact width system would eliminate a lot of the end game meta rigidity. Instead of, you can never kill "x"with "y" with "z" shots, we'd have, I can kill "x" with "y" percentage of reliability at "z" distance and "w" angle of approach.

Edited by Bane5
Bane5
Posted (edited)

I guess this is the final unique thing I have to say about the topic of organ hitboxes (and it might be a bit of a controversial one  too):

On 2/28/2021 at 4:47 PM, gnawsz777 said:

Maybe...  we also add more realistic medical procedures? (round2)

After listening to Nikita's interviews talking about wanting to add a bunch of additional hideout upgrades and talking about how new technologies (drones and thermals) are critical in combat today and how the game should reflect that fact, a random idea popped into my head: If organs and their hitboxes ever get represented in-game, then artificial organs could become a thing as well.

Even today, we already have artificial hearts that are better than the default human heart, being more efficient at pumping human blood. While they aren't widespread yet, such medical devices will be more commonplace in the near future. Given that Tarkov takes place around a decade ahead of our own time and that medical technology is slightly more advanced in their time (Terragroup labs research), it wouldn't be much a stretch to include them (far, far more realistic/plausible than the combat stims we have in-game).

Imagine as follows:

• You can get an industrial 3D-printer as an upgrade after workbench-3 and generator-3
  • You can get a remote/automatic surgery machine after medical station-3 and generator-3
  • On labs, you can loot blueprints for an artificial organ on the Terragroup Labs map
  • With expensive components, you can construct them, and then pay an expensive fee to install them
  • No insurance; if you die, have to create/install a new one

Basically if balanced right in price and rarity, it'd be an occasional money sink and curiosity for 10-mil+ bored giga-chads who ran out of big budget items to spend on. Artificial organs would provide auxiliary benefits like being  able to sprint much further or hold your breath much, much longer if you had an artificial lung for example. Or an artificial heart might have advantages in blood clotting, letting you survive longer if critically wounded or perhaps slightly improved weight limits through being able to provide oxygenated blood to your muscles.

As for actual bullet impacts and incoming damage, they'd function as class-1 body armor inside. People won't become terminators as a result, but its a very slight edge. Some form of vertical power progression is a necessary evil in my opinion to provide big end-game money sinks for the health of the in-game economy.

A list might include (inspired by real life prototypes)

• Artificial lungs for holding breath/sprinting much longer
  • Artificial heart for improved bleed survivability and weight carry strength
  • Hearing aids that let you wear high-tier helmets (altyns) but still have some form of audio sound amplification
  • Nanoparticle injections in the eyes that let you see better in dark areas without night vision
  • Microchip implants that let you identify teammates on a HUD and let you know remotely when they've died
    • (wireless body networks is actually something that I've had some minor experience with)
    • The current Signal Jammer item with a battery in your inventory could be a soft-counter to this

--------

Its quite the big can of worms, but it is a technology that is out there. In the very near future, I do expect this to become a political controversy as some countries may start mandating (or at least providing financial incentives) for their soldiers to modify themselves. And it'd be a perfect fit for Tarkov's lore focus.

Edited by Bane5