Tarkov Shooter Part 8, and Woods in General

JackSpooks

Woods in its current state is basically the most worthless nuisance map in the game. Every map in the game brings some sort of value, whether it be the fast action and quick loot of Factory, the high value medium-high risk of Interchange, the rare spawn production facility that is Shoreline, the familiar, well spaced, varied action and general fun of Customs, the crazy angles and dynamic gameplay combined with military loot of Reserve, and finally when there're no hackers, the infinite raider plus streamer item ultra chad action of Labs. All of these maps also have a scav boss of some kind, spawning in a few different locations, and providing very nice loot or at the very least expensive loot for a moderate challenge (except Killa he's fucked this wipe with the health buff). Now what does Woods have? One spawn location for a scav boss, which is the entire reason half the players on woods come to woods, obnoxious fetch/plant/locate/sitandjerk quests that generally aren't set near that high interest point which are the reason for the other half of the players to be on woods. Now what happens when Shturman doesn't spawn? Noone ducking goes to lumberyard. Now when noone goes to lumber yard, that means there's at most 14 players, spread out across about 8 MAJOR interest points since the expansion(like 6-8 minor points), with about 4-5 extracts each... So 1-2 players per major interest point right, if you head over to one you'll see a player at the very least right? Well that is unless of course they've left the interest point and are submerged within the now ridiculously large intermediary forests, or if they died to a random scav who was hiding around a corner because they only brought a pistol or some poo, or if they don't know the new map yet and just hit a landmine and died, which happens at least once every raid since the expansion and makes my heart sink in pain while trying to do pvp quests. Now let's say you camp on sniper rock, or some other rock near lumberyard, or perhaps closer to an extract. We'll assume 6 players spawned on each side/half of the map now (although woods spawns operate more like a ring now which is better imo), you being one of them reduces the players moving to extract from your side by one, so that means 5 players from your side are moving to exfil on the opposite side, while the opposing 6 players are moving towards your side. Now statistically most players hover between 20-30% survival rate, if we assume 5-10% of deaths are from extract camping, then roughly 35-40% of the time a player will make it to an extract, regardless of whether they get extract camped or not. So 2 players will on average make it to your side of the map past your side's players, assuming they're not also extract camping, now it's the gamble of whether you chose the right one of the three possible extracts to camp. This is part of why I hate Tarkov Shooter Part 8, regardless of your strategy whether you extract camp, snipe from one of three (four if you're a mongrel) lumberyard sniping rocks, or play aggro and hunt players, statistically you're unlikely to see even 2 players in a raid, as you've either passed them in the woods without realizing, they've taken a totally out of the way route to extract, or they've already died. Seeing three players in a raid is even more unlikely, and if you do see three or more they're generally going to be in a squad, which makes shooter 8 even tougher depending on their gear and skill. Then even if you see these three players and shoot at them, if you don't one shot them or break their legs with a bullet (and they hadn't premed) they can just run off into the deep woods and go in some random direction, now you could hunt them down based off of blood trails, but in the time it takes for you to find them, other players will have likely slipped past you and you've missed your chance at three kills. Previously woods was one of the best sniping maps, with wide open stretches of up to 400m, and plenty of locations to sit and see players, while still having plenty of space to maneuver around people who were camping, I got shooter born in heaven done in 6-8 raids, and tarkov shooter 8 in 9-12 raids pre-woods expansion. I have played over 50 raids in the past four weeks on woods, at different times, different locations, different gear sets, and still only have 2 shooter kills, and tarkov shooter 8 remains incomplete. The only time I've seen more than three players in a raid was when I ran into a 5 man at lumberyard all wearing tier 6 and shooting through walls, and when the third kill for my quest ran off into the woods and died to a scav right before I killed him. The solution to this problem would probably be to increase the player count, but then spawns would get cramped again, maybe changing the map for Tarkov Shooter 8 would help, Shoreline would work very well for the map and would make some sense with Jaeger's theme, perhaps reducing the available extracts each raid, but then extract camping would be a nuisance again, maybe adding some more value to Lumberyard/Medical outpost/Village by the bridge. I'm not entirely sure which would be the best option, personally I'd prefer the quest be moved to Shoreline so that if you don't see three players, and if scav boss doesn't spawn you can atleast still get decent high value loot, but that could cause its own issues. I would like to see what everyone else here thinks, but personally I feel as though the map Woods is just way too large with very little of value spread out at a bunch of small and medium sized locations, with a shitload of obnoxious pvp quests and quests in general that feel so bad to attempt.

TarkovCitizen4431498

First of all I bestow upon you the power of paragraphs. Use it well. 

With that out of the way; It can be very tedious to get this quest done, it's all RNG. What I recommend is to rush sniper rock the moment you spawn (best is the spawn at old sawmill for this) and change position every once in a while. If you get the spawn at old sawmill I recommend to first look towards old station. In my case I was able to kill two PMC's coming from that direction. Then switch between spots overlooking sawmill and old sawmill and you should be able to get your last kill that way. 

This worked for me after running around the map for 8+ raids and often getting 2/3 kills without finding a 3rd PMC anywhere

Edited by TarkovCitizen4431498
p30pl3h4t3m3

personally i think especially tarkov shooter 8 quest (like most "use weapon x to kill y") shows how bad these pmc kill quest are. don't get me wrong, pvp is an (maybe the main) aspect why i play this game, but forced to use a certain weapon under certain conditions limits the experience in my opinion. why you should use other weapons than needed for quests for example (until you reach the point of quests done) ?

i can only see pvp quests fun/usefull on a limited time base like "daily" or "weekly" quest with nice reward, but for story & progress its always a bad choice. especially if the game/wipe is running a while.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
JackSpooks
19 hours ago, TarkovCitizen4431498 said:

First of all I bestow upon you the power of paragraphs. Use it well. 

With that out of the way; It can be very tedious to get this quest done, it's all RNG. What I recommend is to rush sniper rock the moment you spawn (best is the spawn at old sawmill for this) and change position every once in a while. If you get the spawn at old sawmill I recommend to first look towards old station. In my case I was able to kill two PMC's coming from that direction. Then switch between spots overlooking sawmill and old sawmill and you should be able to get your last kill that way. 

This worked for me after running around the map for 8+ raids and often getting 2/3 kills without finding a 3rd PMC anywhere

I didn't know the specific structure I wanted for this, just that I wanted to get a bunch of ideas out of my head quickly before I had to go to work, otherwise I would've used them. Yea I've tried the sniper rock thing, I've seen players before but only for one second before I could even fully change position and then they disappear into the woods. Regardless of strategies that ease the RNG, it is still one of the most egregious examples of why the "use x kill to kill pmcs" is tedious and anti-fun, and then if you tack on a "in a single raid" to the end of it why they're game ruining for people who want to do the questline.

JackSpooks
19 hours ago, p30pl3h4t3m3 said:

personally i think especially tarkov shooter 8 quest (like most "use weapon x to kill y") shows how bad these pmc kill quest are. don't get me wrong, pvp is an (maybe the main) aspect why i play this game, but forced to use a certain weapon under certain conditions limits the experience in my opinion. why you should use other weapons than needed for quests for example (until you reach the point of quests done) ?

i can only see pvp quests fun/usefull on a limited time base like "daily" or "weekly" quest with nice reward, but for story & progress its always a bad choice. especially if the game/wipe is running a while.

Exactly, I've only used the VPO and Mosin on woods for my past 40+ raids, maybe one raid of an SV-98 but that's it. That's extremely boring and counterintuitive quest design for a game that encourages multiple styles of play with its dozens of guns. Plus at this stage in the wipe, people have started running tier 5+ armor on woods semi consistently, which means the only way to kill them is when their elite level stamina runs out so you can headshot them, or if you're extremely good at shooting a target that's full sprint 20+ strength darting between trees.

• 2 months later...
Magnetcross

its just hell itself trying to find pmcs in woods with a boltaction, considering people bring in m4s/aks/svds etc to woods, normally after 20 mins of the raid, no one else is left.

MarcBorgia

Any of the quests that are an amount by a specific type of gun should be an acheivement and not a progression quest. That said, i like woods, have been running it alot lately, trying to raise my sniper skill and get boss kills. But when you need to get a certain number of kills, its pretty difficult to find players. Sure you may occasionally run in to a team which is lucky but if you are like me you need to have the space to move around to get the bolt action kills. Im not good enough to head to head a team of any number with a bolt action in close range. Last wipe when it was smaller i got lucky with the 3 kills because i spotted a duo and then camped sawmill til almost the very end to get the 3rd kill. This wipe ive had plenty of raids that i dont even see a pmc, even running all over chasing gun shots. Most of the time boss is killed/looted and abandoned before i can get there.

I do think there either needs to raiders or more guards though, maybe a group of raiders that patrols all the roads continuously. More guards at any of the POIs. Reserve has a ton of guards/raiders about half the time so why cant woods? I really like woods, theres alot of places to loot to get so so parts, heals and food and it plays to my style better. Just wish there was more action, ive gone raids not even seeing a single scav. Granted i didnt run all of the map for 45min but ive gone to most of the POIs and just nothing. 

A_Kira

Tarkov shooter 8 could be changed into: kill 10 (or whatever reasonable number) PMCs on woods using bolt-action rifles. Not 3 PMCs in a single raid.