Can I enjoy this game as casual player?

RevenantCZ

So I bought this game a year ago, played a bit, then as quarantine ended i stopped to play it.  Now I play it for a month. I am level 30, I have 209 raids behind me and my survival rate is 48%. I upgraded my hideout to the point I built the first level of bitcoin farm , have six GC and so am making some passive income. I know the majority of maps (except Labs and Reserve) to the point I am aware of spawns, extracts, hotspots and chokepoints and general dynamics of game there (player movement, scav locations, loot locations, secret stashes and general points of interest. Well also Interchange is a bit difficult for me still, especially navigating inside of mall. Now the issue. I got there by basically doing loot runs, running scav and doing tasks. I can fight and hunt scavs, but I mightily suck at pvp. I do everything to evade other playrs, to the point I hide at the start of the raid and then scavenge after 10-15 minutes after the majority of mass murderers killed each other or extracted. To this day I have 16 kills of PMC, some of them total newbies, some of them by complete luck and some killed while playing in squad. There was only like 3 cases when i killed someone in a straight face to face fight. Generally, I do not camp. I go to maps to do tasks or to hunt scavs for exp or to take loot. The absolute nightmare so far was Stirrup, when i was doing meatgrinder in Factory naked with just a pistol and two mags.  Ihave not done planned ambush on some location so far, like waiting in cover keeping angle on obvious way of approch and waiting to kill someone like this. Problem is, when i encounter some PMC, I die. I die even If I start shooting his side . I just do not get how people can shoot and react so fast and accurate even when ambushed. My loadout If I go in seriously is some level 4/5 armor, (now mainly Korund, as i have access to barter from Prapor), some sort of AK47 or ak74 with cheap attachments, red dot and PS (ak47) or BT(74) ammo. If I go in for hunting scavs, I usually taky silencer. I take some helmet, balaclava and headset, sometimes grenade if I have one. And of course medical stuff in my container, spare rounds and bag. I watch streams on youtube, guides and so on. I do training in offline mode to know maps and also do practice shooting offline training in Factory vs. scavs. Basic scenario when I play online is like this: 1) I go somewhere, get shot from unknown angle, drop dead. 2) I approach chockpoint , see enemy. Start shooting, hitting him a little, then killed by burst to the face/grenade/ ripped throught armor. 3) in cqb i hear someone, he hears me ofc. I hide in dark corner, waiting silently. Suddenly he comes inside, burst to the face, I die. The problem is i die so fast and then it takes much more time to go into raid again, get together gear, pay for healing and food, then get killed again. I got some experience from this, but mainly about ambush spots. When its face to face, I just do not have a clue. Honestly, I am not a FPS player. I played games singleplayer like OPF, Ghost Recon(old one), Rainbow six(old one), Arma 3 and my only experience in online FPS was Battlefield 2 which I played for some time. I understand guides to train offline, but scavs have completely different behavior than players and its generally easy to kill them when rushed from cover at close distance. They are deadly at longer distance when they have rifles, true. And also, well.... How much time should I sacrifice in training to be even somehow competitive in pvp?

Then I decided to join some ppl to play in group. Joining random is ofc no way:) So I joined a clan claiming to play Tarkov. The situation there is like this: clan leader is super nice guy, who even sometimes do runs with newbies. But he does not play that much. The rest of veteran players have their communicating rooms and do not bother to play with newbies or teach them something. Then there are newbies, who usually join in several 5 man teams. Some of these guys are ok, but generally, playing like this is total mess. No communication, no leadership. The best thing we did like this were probably interchange pistol loot runs  and the guys also helped me to do some tasks and so one. But in general, in Pvp we were wiped out often. Even by one guy in some cases. This style is basically to decrease the number of enemy PMC on map I think :)

Then by chance I met a guy I played a year ago, who is also super nice. He helped me on some maps in duo and then told me He plays with different group, so i asked him if I can join. So I started to play with these. It looked promising at first, as there were at least two good players in the group. But soon It went wrong. Basically they rushed everywhere, without telling what are they going to do. If I asked them what I am supposed to do, which angle to cover, which entrace to assault, they just responded aggressively. Then if they won firefight, they boasted, if they lost, the complained its our guilt we did not support them properly and bothered the others to hide their gear, which was thir only concern. I had several arguments with them and after one particularly toxic I just left, not going to play with these jerks again.

So now I am kinda stuck. I do not see any improvement in pvp not matter how much I train. I have money to buy gear and run raids, but not that many. Scav loot runs takes time and often I am killed doing so. And I do not have time not intent to make second job of this game.

End of this rant. Any suggestions appreciated :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RevenantCZ said:

So I bought this game a year ago, played a bit, then as quarantine ended i stopped to play it.  Now I play it for a month. I am level 30, I have 209 raids behind me and my survival rate is 48%. I upgraded my hideout to the point I built the first level of bitcoin farm , have six GC and so am making some passive income. I know the majority of maps (except Labs and Reserve) to the point I am aware of spawns, extracts, hotspots and chokepoints and general dynamics of game there (player movement, scav locations, loot locations, secret stashes and general points of interest. Well also Interchange is a bit difficult for me still, especially navigating inside of mall. Now the issue. I got there by basically doing loot runs, running scav and doing tasks. I can fight and hunt scavs, but I mightily suck at pvp. I do everything to evade other playrs, to the point I hide at the start of the raid and then scavenge after 10-15 minutes after the majority of mass murderers killed each other or extracted. To this day I have 16 kills of PMC, some of them total newbies, some of them by complete luck and some killed while playing in squad. There was only like 3 cases when i killed someone in a straight face to face fight. Generally, I do not camp. I go to maps to do tasks or to hunt scavs for exp or to take loot. The absolute nightmare so far was Stirrup, when i was doing meatgrinder in Factory naked with just a pistol and two mags.  Ihave not done planned ambush on some location so far, like waiting in cover keeping angle on obvious way of approch and waiting to kill someone like this. Problem is, when i encounter some PMC, I die. I die even If I start shooting his side . I just do not get how people can shoot and react so fast and accurate even when ambushed. My loadout If I go in seriously is some level 4/5 armor, (now mainly Korund, as i have access to barter from Prapor), some sort of AK47 or ak74 with cheap attachments, red dot and PS (ak47) or BT(74) ammo. If I go in for hunting scavs, I usually taky silencer. I take some helmet, balaclava and headset, sometimes grenade if I have one. And of course medical stuff in my container, spare rounds and bag. I watch streams on youtube, guides and so on. I do training in offline mode to know maps and also do practice shooting offline training in Factory vs. scavs. Basic scenario when I play online is like this: 1) I go somewhere, get shot from unknown angle, drop dead. 2) I approach chockpoint , see enemy. Start shooting, hitting him a little, then killed by burst to the face/grenade/ ripped throught armor. 3) in cqb i hear someone, he hears me ofc. I hide in dark corner, waiting silently. Suddenly he comes inside, burst to the face, I die. The problem is i die so fast and then it takes much more time to go into raid again, get together gear, pay for healing and food, then get killed again. I got some experience from this, but mainly about ambush spots. When its face to face, I just do not have a clue. Honestly, I am not a FPS player. I played games singleplayer like OPF, Ghost Recon(old one), Rainbow six(old one), Arma 3 and my only experience in online FPS was Battlefield 2 which I played for some time. I understand guides to train offline, but scavs have completely different behavior than players and its generally easy to kill them when rushed from cover at close distance. They are deadly at longer distance when they have rifles, true. And also, well.... How much time should I sacrifice in training to be even somehow competitive in pvp?

Then I decided to join some ppl to play in group. Joining random is ofc no way:) So I joined a clan claiming to play Tarkov. The situation there is like this: clan leader is super nice guy, who even sometimes do runs with newbies. But he does not play that much. The rest of veteran players have their communicating rooms and do not bother to play with newbies or teach them something. Then there are newbies, who usually join in several 5 man teams. Some of these guys are ok, but generally, playing like this is total mess. No communication, no leadership. The best thing we did like this were probably interchange pistol loot runs  and the guys also helped me to do some tasks and so one. But in general, in Pvp we were wiped out often. Even by one guy in some cases. This style is basically to decrease the number of enemy PMC on map I think :)

Then by chance I met a guy I played a year ago, who is also super nice. He helped me on some maps in duo and then told me He plays with different group, so i asked him if I can join. So I started to play with these. It looked promising at first, as there were at least two good players in the group. But soon It went wrong. Basically they rushed everywhere, without telling what are they going to do. If I asked them what I am supposed to do, which angle to cover, which entrace to assault, they just responded aggressively. Then if they won firefight, they boasted, if they lost, the complained its our guilt we did not support them properly and bothered the others to hide their gear, which was thir only concern. I had several arguments with them and after one particularly toxic I just left, not going to play with these jerks again.

So now I am kinda stuck. I do not see any improvement in pvp not matter how much I train. I have money to buy gear and run raids, but not that many. Scav loot runs takes time and often I am killed doing so. And I do not have time not intent to make second job of this game.

This is my exact experience of the game tbh.

I have a few more pmc kills and a few more hours, but most PMCs seem to have superhuman reflexes. 

Mind you, I'm a 36 year old stoner so that might explain that. Still, I get enjoyment from killing scavs, having fear and looting stuff anyway so I pretend its a stealth game.

ps you don't have to complete stirrup to unlock other quests, so i just didn't bother it this wipe, and I take a pistol in when i'm doing mosin quests just in case i see a pmc and get lucky.

Edited by jockmcplop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, RevenantCZ said:

.... PS (ak47) or BT(74) ammo....

As soon as you switch from a loot and scav focus to a pvp focus, you must absolutely ONLY use best in slot ammos.

5.45x49? BS or really 7n39 only.
7.62x39? BP only.
5.56x49? m995 only
7.62x51? m61 or m993
So on and so forth. 

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Ballistics

Edit to answer title question. Yes. If you had fun looting up to this point. 

Edited by Nameless_Terror
  • Thanks 1

vor 38 Minuten schrieb RevenantCZ:

Sorry please use enter or space so its easier to read :D But so far i got that you have a problem with pvp. My advice: find a weapon which you like and mod it. Go fast use flashlight adadad and you gonna be fine most of the battles.  Also think if you can pick the fight or not. It s not weak not to fight. And yes you are abusing the system with flashlight and adadad but you wanted to know how to get better at pvp. Hope that helps. BTW 44 percent survival rate is nice!

• Thanks 1

Damn, I wish I had 48% survival rate. That's actually pretty good. Also, I believe that the advice of @Nameless_Terror is pretty good. Super chads have armor that can stop your PS or BT ammo easily. You need a lot better ammo (and even weapons). You also need to mod your weapons to reduce recoil massively to be more accurate (because what good is your first bullet pen if the second doesn't hit because your barrel is already shooting for the stars?).

5 hours ago, Kasukaru said:

Damn, I wish I had 48% survival rate. That's actually pretty good. Also, I believe that the advice of @Nameless_Terror is pretty good. Super chads have armor that can stop your PS or BT ammo easily. You need a lot better ammo (and even weapons). You also need to mod your weapons to reduce recoil massively to be more accurate (because what good is your first bullet pen if the second doesn't hit because your barrel is already shooting for the stars?).

Well bro, I just evade PMC fights whenever possible unless I play with squad.

So It looks like the general consensus Is to use only really the best ammo when planning to go PVP.

As for guns modding, I usually take ak, put rubber pad there, some better foregrip and grip to reduce recoil, bastion and red dot on it and either supressor or muzzle brake, according to map and my goal. If I start going into space guns, the price rockets up a lot.

Just hold your expectations low.
You are and will be the underdog. If you can't bring to tier ammo, avoid fights or attack only after 2 teams duked it out and the leftover players are already hurt.
Bring a few grenades. The more the better.

Game is still enjoyable, but you have to accept that you are just a scav without the head / eyes aimbot. Celebrate every kill and be happy that you can still enjoy Tarkov as a strategic survival game with the odds against you, unlike the streamers / nolifers who have everything maxed out for weeks now and cry for a wipe as they get bored with the meta ;)

• Like 1

you'll get to the point that you feel comfortable with your passive income (i.e. bitcoin farm) to put together decent kits. this game sucks ass for anyone going casual, particularly if you are late to a wipe. at this point you either see little bambi players that are in your shoes trying to quest and learn the game or you see the douch bags like me who prey on them on customs and woods to get some semblance of enjoyment bullying with my silly kits. don't let anyone fool you either, this is the epitome of a twitch shooter game like counter strike with a lot more developed back end but poo servers, any realistic shooter games like ghost recon are apples and oranges to this since this game favors super aggro play for the most part.

i think you can still enjoy it as a casual if you have a good enough understanding of the game . having the hideout fully upgraded and the bitcoin farm producing coins may make it better if u can even just login daily and stock up the genny, collect cpins and maybe craft stuff at the Intel centre.  things from there seem to be high priced on the flea,  maybe due to the time it takes to make them now . as stated above, u can do scav runs without fear of losing stuff and if u pick good spots u can walk away with awesome loot from scav runs. i rarely play reserve but i started the other day and i reckon at least 3 out of 5 games had people cheating 

The only way to play this game "casual" is to consider your Scav runs as your "main" experience and your PMC as something you just do sporadically in an attempt to complete tasks. If you're ok with that and don't care about things like SR and # of PMC kills, then you'll be fine. 

Also your experience with groups is pretty much exactly why I have no interest in trying to play with groups....I'm 40 and just don't have the patience for that crap at this point. Which I know essentially means I'll have to stop playing the game because all people want to do now is group up. And so be it, I'll move on to something else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, RevenantCZ said:

End of this rant. Any suggestions appreciated

I disagree with majority of players in this thread. Playing "casually" - is completely possible, if you set your heart and mind to it. And treat this as a game. You just have to be efficient with your kits and money and be very goal oriented. (just like IRL, haha)

I play about 1-2 hrs/day. Jut hit lvl 40 this morning:

110481569_2021-03-2611-46(0).thumb.png.4df47bc3d1408a0d96a61f4948d00721.png

Took me 3 months (wipe was exactly 3 month ago) at 377 raids. Thats about 125 raids/month. Which is about 4 raids/day. 

I focused quests, but even then - I was able to get maxed hideout (lvl 2 Farm, 25 cards), no solar yet. Everything else maxed.

My k/d isn't stellar - but again, I was focusing quests. And most quests force you to use trash gear (either crappy weapon or armor or both).

Will be trying for kappa this wipe. Its my 2nd wipe. So the 1360 hrs "online" (counts AFK time too) is since April 2020 - when I bought the game. Thats 1360/12months = 133 hrs/month of gametime (again with AFK) avg. Thats 28 hrs/week or 4hrs/day. I played more last wipe and last summer though, so that is skewing the AVG a bit. This wipe its been all about 1-2 hrs/day

TLDR: Tarkov is a very casual friendly game - when compared to other full-loot PVP MMOs. Other full loot MMOs are much harder to play casually (my examples would be Eve Online, Rust and Albion Online - as those games require "nolifing" to manage in-game assets and defend bases. Thank god we don't have this in EFT and our hideout cannot be attacked when we are offline.)

Edited by captainrussia21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, captainrussia21 said:

I disagree with majority of players in this thread. Playing "casually" - is completely possible, if you set your heart and mind to it. And treat this as a game. You just have to be efficient with your kits and money and be very goal oriented. (just like IRL, haha)

I play about 1-2 hrs/day. Jut hit lvl 40 this morning:

110481569_2021-03-2611-46(0).thumb.png.4df47bc3d1408a0d96a61f4948d00721.png

Took me 3 months (wipe was exactly 3 month ago) at 377 raids. Thats about 125 raids/month. Which is about 4 raids/day. 

I focused quests, but even then - I was able to get maxed hideout (lvl 2 Farm, 25 cards), no solar yet. Everything else maxed.

My k/d isn't stellar - but again, I was focusing quests. And most quests force you to use trash gear (either crappy weapon or armor or both).

Will be trying for kappa this wipe. Its my 2nd wipe. So the 1360 hrs "online" (counts AFK time too) is since April 2020 - when I bought the game. Thats 1360/12months = 133 hrs/month of gametime (again with AFK) avg. Thats 28 hrs/week or 4hrs/day. I played more last wipe and last summer though, so that is skewing the AVG a bit. This wipe its been all about 1-2 hrs/day

TLDR: Tarkov is a very casual friendly game - when compared to other full-loot PVP MMOs. Other full loot MMOs are much harder to play casually (my examples would be Eve Online, Rust and Albion Online - as those games require "nolifing" to manage in-game assets and defend bases. Thank god we don't have this in EFT and our hideout cannot be attacked when we are offline.)

You can try to quantify it all you want, no one here is going to consider you a "casual" player with that amount of playtime.

I purchased the game 3 months before you did. My total amount of hours online? 300. I wouldn't even classify playing ONE game for 300 hours in a year as "casual," let alone 4 times that. If you're playing 1 game for close to 30 hours a week, I have no idea how you could define that as casual considering the normal full time work week is 40 hours. 

Playing one game "casually" is under 10 hours a week. And 10 is probably on the high end. If you're playing the same game for like 15+ hours a week every week, all the time, I have no idea how you could define that as casual. That's basically how you're spending all of your free time, assuming you have a job/life to speak of. And if you don't have those things, then your definition of "casual" doesn't really mean anything as you have nothing else to tangibly fill your life with other than playing the game. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can't enjoy this game because it sucks. tried it again today after two weeks. First round BAM shot repeatedly through the wall. 

Game is trash. 

Also, players under level 10 should NOT be playing with anyone who has access to the market. 

Its literally a waste of time. I've been looking for another shooter (COD is ok but too arcade-still 100000 times better than this piece of trash) 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, mva5580 said:

The only way to play this game "casual" is to consider your Scav runs as your "main" experience and your PMC as something you just do sporadically in an attempt to complete tasks. If you're ok with that and don't care about things like SR and # of PMC kills, then you'll be fine. 

This 100% exactly the same as me. Scav as main experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

well, the thing is that there is a lot of people that play this game a lot / seriously, especially this late in the wipe. 

If you want to learn pvp, you have to spend most time early after wipe when there is not that many players running around with end game gear. Now...yeah you need the higehst possible ammo to kill people. AK's are mostly outclassed by meta M4's, Hk's and VEXTR's / AS VALS. AK is a goo budget weapon, but when going against experienced players, they will have the upperhand with before mentioned weapons.

It is a hard game to master, point is that sitting in a dark corner and just camping is usually not the way to go, a lot of time you make a sound by aiming your weapon, turning around, laying down etc. Those chads will hear.

When you hear someone coming, peak them and prefire while you think they are in the middle of a hallway, sometimes just don't pick a fight, don't get dead set on "i killed one, i want his loot". If there is 3 others of a 4 man, just dip.

Never repeak the same corner twice, jump out a window, run away, make use of hard cover and come from a different direction. 

Those are some basics for PvP.

edit: I have seen a lot of players trying to play like Pestily or Landmark, just don't, it works for them, not for most other people.

Edited by TheFondler
  • Thanks 1

Frankly your problem has been extended because you have decided to avoid PvP. That is fine to keep playing that way on your PMC until you feel more comfortable. 

You should take your Scav every single raid and just push PvP. You have nothing to lose on a Scav so take advantage of it and use it to get better. Every Scav run push every single gunshot and go every place other players will be. Be overly aggressive. Do this for a few weeks and I guarentee you will start pushing more PvP on your PMC because you will start to get a level of comfort with PvP.

Use your Scav to learn PvP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mva5580 said:

You can try to quantify it all you want, no one here is going to consider you a "casual" player with that amount of playtime.

did you just say that 1-2 hrs/day is not casual?!? (which is about 7-14 hrs/wk, 10hrs - being right in the middle, the number you have used).

Also if you read my post - I explained the hours. There is a lot of AFK time (especially last wipe - as I played more, and I accounted for that and stated that openly). This wipe I literally played 377 raids. And thats in 3 months. Nuff said.

I purchased the game 3 months before you did. My total amount of hours online? 300.

And? You barely played the game... your point?

I wouldn't even classify playing ONE game for 300 hours in a year as "casual," let alone 4 times that.

ugh, 300 hrs/year - that's about 40min/day... Im quoting 1-2 hrs/day since this current wipe. Semantics?

If you're playing 1 game for close to 30 hours a week, I have no idea how you could define that as casual considering the normal full time work week is 40 hours. 

except that if you read my post - I said Im playing 1-2 hrs/day. Since the latest 12.9 wipe. Thats about 7-14 hrs/week. Thats minuscule compared to how much some people (especially streamers) play. What was prior to that - that's history.

OP asked if the game could be played "casually" - it was answered. You can try to argue semantics again?

Playing one game "casually" is under 10 hours a week. And 10 is probably on the high end.

As defined by whom?

Let's ask OP shall we? @RevenantCZ - what is "casual" by your definition?

1 hour ago, BrettB said:

This 100% exactly the same as me. Scav as main experience.

if you play casual - you want to NOT play as a Scav. You want to maximize your PMC! I do not do any scav runs (maybe 1/week with some buddies for lulz) and I would advise against it. Personal opinion of course. I like to maximize my PMC skills. My first wipe (last wipe) I played Scav as 50% of the time. Then I realized my mistake - as my PMC was very underleveled towards the end of the wipe (low Endurance, low STR, low Perception - which is what lets you hear people a mile away). So this wipe Im maximizing my PMC skills and its definitely paying off.

Edited by captainrussia21
  • Sad 1

I am playing this game since years.

And my conclusion is: Yes, you can play it casually.  

There’s no need to be a try-hard or someone with very fast reaction times. As long as you play sufficient you will be fine. The bigger question should be: Can you bear it to play the game?

This really comes down to your skill level and knowledge about the whole thing. Because this game is relatively complex and can become very frustrated if you don’t know what you are doing. But there’s no need to be a “+4 hours daily try-hard-king” in order to be successful.

Just play it when you find the time and constantly improve yourself. Since EFT is played in relatively short raids you can play whenever you find the time. But most casuals will probably avoid the game for the reasons I was bringing up earlier. Since there are plenty of alternatives that are quick “drop-in-action” shooters. But there’s non as immersive as EFT when it comes to PVP and PVE.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, Himmuguegeli said:

I am playing this game since years.

And my conclusion is: Yes, you can play it casually.  

There’s no need to be a try-hard or someone with very fast reaction times. As long as you play sufficient you will be fine. The bigger question should be: Can you bear it to play the game?

This really comes down to your skill level and knowledge about the whole thing. Because this game is relatively complex and can become very frustrated if you don’t know what you are doing. But there’s no need to be a “+4 hours daily try-hard-king” in order to be successful.

Just play it when you find the time and constantly improve yourself. Since EFT is played in relatively short raids you can play whenever you find the time. But most casuals will probably avoid the game for the reasons I was bringing up earlier. Since there are plenty of alternatives that are quick “drop-in-action” shooters. But there’s non as immersive as EFT when it comes to PVP and PVE.

Hi, thanks for this. Honestly I am spending a lot time in reading guides, watching content and going into maps offline to learn them. So I think I am ok with mechanics. My problem is really only PVP.

• Like 1

pvp can be a game of chance usually. like i have been running a kedr on reserve a couple times and killed gear players with sprayed headshots from 70 rouble ammo. sometimes u are geared and get killed by a player scav. one time i killed 3 players as a scav near the bridge trainline on customs with a 5.45 AK and PS ammo. sometimes u win sometimes u lose. if they are cheating it pretty much won't matter a damn what you use. one thing tarkov is fun for is random encounters

9 hours ago, RevenantCZ said:

My problem is really only PVP.

play more Factory (for CQB experience - and you don't have to be worried about getting sniped) and Customs.

Both maps offer more of a "closer" range almost arena-like experience (keyword "almost"). Factory is pretty much an arena though.

Bigger maps prove to be more difficult to learning the game - as its harder to predict where players might move to (assuming you don't camp "hot loot" spots, which you should not be when learning the game). Bigger maps are good to learn once you are comfortable with PVP and want to get more into sniping and a mix of long + short range battles, flanking, and other more advanced tactics.

Of course inevitably the quests will force you to go to larger maps, but still.

• 8 months later...

You could play casual, actually no you really can't.  There's too many sh&tbags willing to sink to any depth to rob you of your hard earned gear.  they might be cheating or they might just be low-life losers that stake out the return path to the extraction point.  God knows, since the wipe, the number of times that has happened to me has increased 10x and that's just in a fraction of a month.  Before now, i only had that happen to me 1x in a year.  So prepare yourself for disappointment.