Are SCAVs overpowered? This is not fun!

ElgrecoNP

I am practicing off line and in the past few days SCAvs became more lethal is there a change that was implemented?  Too overpowered now.  What other people think?

JerryLove

SCAV skill / luck varies. 

I'm not a good player, and I can generally get 10-20 SCAV kills at "as online" difficulty with low-end gear (Seiga 12 + buckhost, MP5 + PST, Adar, etc). 

Evilwayz

Here are the rules with Scav's

If they see you, you have roughly 2 seconds to shoot them in the head. After 2 seconds if they are not dead you better be behind cover. 

Do not re-peak a corner you they just saw you go behind. You are very likely to be head shot if you re-peak the same corner. You need to reposition.

Now normal Scav's you have a chance if you do not follow these rules. They can sometimes shoot you in the leg or arms. With raiders you do not have a chance. They will kill you 99% of the time if you do not follow these rules. 

Pretty simple. Follow this and you will kill every scav on the map.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
JerryLove
17 minutes ago, The_Boys_NoGood said:

they are if you have crap gear.

I can zero-to-hero starting with a pistol in an "as-online" offline raid. I don't agree. 

Every now and then I run into the crack shot; but after the first 1-3 kills I have an AK of some sort or a Saiga 12 and I'm good. 

ACuddlyBadger

Scavs are varied in their abilities as they are loadouts. Some have very bad aim dispersion, some are very good. Some seem to hold fire to get off a more accurate shot. 

The best counter to AI for the new player is to move through the map slower than you can perceive it, that way you are always mentally ahead of the map, plus the advice to wait a while before repeeking, flanking, etc. If you are sprinting around corners and hear AI aggro and start getting shot at from some scav you can't see, you are going too fast through the map and you are an especially easy target for any players. 

JerryLove

For most maps (Factory being the exception) I recommend an SKS with a scope and Saiga 12. There's tons of ammo to pick off the scavs for these. 

Also ACuddlyBadger's advice is correct. Go slow. Listen. Engage one at a time. Sneak up on them. 

Overkill_Reaper

Besides raiders, AI scavs are far worse then even below average players in my experience. Every now and then they’ll hit a lucky shot, but they’re generally easy pickings. Shotgun scavs are the only ones I’ve ever worried about. 

Evilwayz
3 hours ago, JerryLove said:

For most maps (Factory being the exception) I recommend an SKS with a scope and Saiga 12. There's tons of ammo to pick off the scavs for these. 

Also ACuddlyBadger's advice is correct. Go slow. Listen. Engage one at a time. Sneak up on them. 

I personally completely disagree with this advice. Scav's tend to be in the same place. You can literally learn where they sit on maps and predict where they will be. Quickly check those points as you move through the map. Scav's spawns are not random. They tend to path the exact same areas. 

Also if you practice online you will find hip fire is your friend when it comes to Scav's. For some reason they have a significantly harder time hitting you while you strafing with hip fire compared to strafing while ADS. There is also a certain distance they just do not see you from.

The worst thing I think you can do is move too slowly through a map because if anyone sees you first you become a very easy target. 

Learn the map. In the beginning know the spawns of both players and Scavs to check as you move towards your chosen location. Know where people tend to head towards. Know where they tend to be coming from. Once you start learning these simple things you will see you move fluidly through the map checking specific areas as you cycle through it.

JerryLove
23 minutes ago, Evilwayz said:

I personally completely disagree with this advice. Scav's tend to be in the same place. You can literally learn where they sit on maps and predict where they will be. Quickly check those points as you move through the map. Scav's spawns are not random. They tend to path the exact same areas. 

There are two basic problems with this approach. 

1) It requires that you have already learned those spots and patterns. This poster indicates he's attempting to learn. My suggestion gets him from here to there. 

2) It's bad practice for when you go into online and there are players. 

The worst thing I think you can do is move too slowly through a map because if anyone sees you first you become a very easy target. 

The rats will tell you "this is the way". Many a chad has died to a held corner, good sniping position, or other silent method. When you are running poor, your ears aren't as good as the Chads, and you can't afford an even fight. 

Bigemane

I don't mind scavs being deadly but when they can somehow tank multiple headshots at point blank range, zig zag the hell out of you and do a backflip followed by a 360 turn and then headshot you.

That's what i feel like the game just isn't worth it anymore.

traumacode

If you hear a scav voice line, find cover.  If you hear a raider voice line, you're already dead.  Kill them before they make voice lines.

paracelsus1981

As a SCUM player I can only laugh about "AI being too hard and not fun". This game is overfilled with ammo. Whenever I spawn with crap gear I run to the next hotspot and find bodies overflowing with better gear. From there it´s just upwards. If the FPS are good AI will barely stop me. Don´t get me wrong, they kill me every now and then but they should. SCAV AI should be a challenge as gamers are.

JerryLove
19 hours ago, Bigemane said:

I don't mind scavs being deadly but when they can somehow tank multiple headshots at point blank range, zig zag the hell out of you and do a backflip followed by a 360 turn and then headshot you.

I have not seen that. 

I've seen some "how did you stay up: you had no armor!" on body shots; but when I've headshot an AI scav, they've gone down every time. 

Caster89Actual
On 4/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, Evilwayz said:

Here are the rules with Scav's

If they see you, you have roughly 2 seconds to shoot them in the head. After 2 seconds if they are not dead you better be behind cover. 

Do not re-peak a corner you they just saw you go behind. You are very likely to be head shot if you re-peak the same corner. You need to reposition.

Now normal Scav's you have a chance if you do not follow these rules. They can sometimes shoot you in the leg or arms. With raiders you do not have a chance. They will kill you 99% of the time if you do not follow these rules. 

Pretty simple. Follow this and you will kill every scav on the map.

That is false a majority of the time for normal scavs, raiders absolutely, if they see you first you are gonna get head/eyes real fast. 

granted once in a blue moon a saiga or SKS scav will rock your socks and seem aimbottish but for the most part you can stand still and watch vepr and bolt gun scavs pepper the ground around you with fire.