hon0

Suppressive fire

hon0

Hello.

I would like to know if and how players and NPC will react to suppressive fire.

Thanks,

Antoine from France.

Edited by hon0

TheTrainStation

I hope not. That would ruin immersion quite badly. Whether somebody feels pressured should come down to the player, and not some artificial standard.

• Sad 1

hon0

The player behind the monitor or in Tarkov? FPS or RPG? Both..?

Escape from Tarkov is a hardcore and realistic online first-person action RPG/Simulator with MMO features and story-driven walkthrough.

React to supress fire is the "standard". Only trained people doesn't react "bad" to it. Panic. For me it add a lot to the immersion and add a lot to the Gameplay. Especially multiplayer Gameplay.

May be we'll see something in the characters Skills..

By react to suppress fire I mean for exemple color fading or something like that. So you know you're pinned down. Squad is doing a good job on it.

TheTrainStation
10 minutes ago, hon0 said:

The player behind the monitor or in Tarkov? FPS or RPG? Both..?

React to supress fire is the "standard". Only trained people doesn't react "bad" to it. Panic. For me it add a lot to the immersion and add a lot to the Gameplay. Especially multiplayer Gameplay.

May be we'll see something in the characters Skills..

By react to suppress fire I mean for exemple color fading or something like that. So you know you're pinned down. Squad is doing a good job on it.

Anything that obscures vision through attificial supression is just bad design. If you hear an lmg firing at your cover, you already know it is risky to pop out. 

Artificial supression as a whole is bad design.

• Upvote 1

Kiwuu

It would probably be good to see SOME level of supression aganist NPCs, since having them run out in the open like idiots when they're getting mowed down isn't really nice for immersion or just gameplay in general.

• Upvote 1

TheTrainStation
26 minutes ago, hon0 said:

Even against NPC?

Npc's would require it. It's called artificial Intelligence for a reason.

As long as my screen doesn't get smeared with an overload of post processing effects, i will be content.

Edited by TheTrainStation

Starlight
On Tuesday, February 09, 2016 at 2:59 AM, TheTrainStation said:

Npc's would require it. It's called artificial Intelligence for a reason.

As long as my screen doesn't get smeared with an overload of post processing effects, i will be content.

I agree with "no postprocessing nonsense", but there is the factor of sonic booms as bullets pass by. IRL, these are easily loud enough to cause flinches, which is obviously not true over a player's sound system. I'd be all for exaggerated weapon sway or flinching as a reaction, but don't screw with my eyeballs.

Magor57

I would like to see the suppressive fire effect ingame. Shaky/blurry screen for 0,5-2 sec, loss of breath, bad aiming. All this could be affected by perks. And there could be a master / high tier perk, something like "balls of steel" (excuse my language but I think this is the best expression I could come up with). This perk would permanently turn off all these negative effects on you, or like minimalize them to 10%. I think this is generaly a good idea, maybe some tweaks, but I think the core idea is solid. What do you guys think, who agrees with me?

• Upvote 1

Europoor
6 minutes ago, Magor57 said:

I would like to see the suppressive fire effect ingame. Shaky/blurry screen for 0,5-2 sec, loss of breath, bad aiming. All this could be affected by perks. And there could be a master / high tier perk, something like "balls of steel" (excuse my language but I think this is the best expression I could come up with). This perk would permanently turn off all these negative effects on you, or like minimalize them to 10%. I think this is generaly a good idea, maybe some tweaks, but I think the core idea is solid. What do you guys think, who agrees with me?

0,5-2 seconds??? Man that's too much :D 

TheTrainStation

How about no artificial supressiin at all. A person feels enough supression on his own when he notices that he's under enemy fire.

Just have a look at rainbow six siege.

Ain't nobody coming out of cover whilst he's still hearing rattlin gunfire over his head.

• Upvote 1

Magor57
21 minutes ago, Europoor said:

0,5-2 seconds??? Man that's too much :D 

Exactly mane, the tweaks need to be done, but the core idea is good

Sushi

I think Insurgency did it fairly well. Extremely loud CRACKS when gunfire narrowly misses, some distortion, discoloration, and your character might shout or yell in surprise. They can't hold down the Shift key to hold your breath and steady the gun, and hipfire sway is more erratic. It also slightly slows down your run speed.

Honestly it'd be disappointing if Tarkov didn't have suppression mechanics, it's a very crucial part of tactics, especially in this sort of urban terrain.

hon0
10 hours ago, Magor57 said:

That's exactly what I (OP) would like to see.

Jodman

I dont think this feature is in the game at the moment.. I watched the gameplay trailer and while the player was being shot, he did not have any signs of be "supressed"

Scruffy
On 2/9/2016 at 10:08 PM, TheTrainStation said:

I hope not. That would ruin immersion quite badly. Whether somebody feels pressured should come down to the player, and not some artificial standard.

Totally agree... ^^

If you ever played arma games and modes, you KNOW when you are suppressed. :)

Scruffy
16 minutes ago, hon0 said:

Players knows. I.A don't.

True that!

Scruffy
16 minutes ago, hon0 said:

Players knows. I.A don't.

True that!

hon0

In arma I want to yell to my buddy to move on cause I have the eni's pinned down, but I can't.. Remember Brother in arms?

Supress fire open a lot of possibilites in Gameplay. Much more realistic. No COD or CS reflex.

enigmatic

Loved B.I.A. series years ago, they were one of the first shooters to implement a suppression mechanic (although crude and simple). Yet, I would have to agree, I am not a fan of the blurry/distorted screen effects in other recent shooters that signifies you are being "suppressed". I would rather have the loud sonic cracks and booms overhead and maybe a slight flinch, something like ArmA3

Starlight
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM, TheTrainStation said:

How about no artificial supressiin at all. A person feels enough supression on his own when he notices that he's under enemy fire.

Just have a look at rainbow six siege.

Ain't nobody coming out of cover whilst he's still hearing rattlin gunfire over his head.

Dunno what R6|Siege you're playing, but at the competitive levels, it's very common for folks to repeatedly corner-hump into fire to pick up a headshot, or pick off a head while being actively hit with bullets. Beyond being closer to dead, there is literally zero effect of incoming fire when you have your sights up. Even being shot doesn't knock your aim around /at all/.

If you're hip-firing, especially as a shield, then yes, incoming fire will cause your CoF to bloom pretty significantly, but again, zero effect when your sights are up.

That all said, I very highly dislike visual post-processing as a reaction to incoming fire. Adrenaline sharpens your vision, but most games have come up with this idea that suddenly my eyeballs are going to fall apart under stress. Flinching, stamina decrease, etc. are all reasonable, though.

EDIT: Derp. I already pretty much posted this above. Eh well.

Edited by Starlight
Derpage
  • Upvote 1

TheTrainStation
25 minutes ago, Starlight said:

Dunno what R6|Siege you're playing, but at the competitive levels, it's very common for folks to repeatedly corner-hump into fire to pick up a headshot, or pick off a head while being actively hit with bullets. Beyond being closer to dead, there is literally zero effect of incoming fire when you have your sights up. Even being shot doesn't knock your aim around /at all/.

If you're hip-firing, especially as a shield, then yes, incoming fire will cause your CoF to bloom pretty significantly, but again, zero effect when your sights are up.

That all said, I very highly dislike visual post-processing as a reaction to incoming fire. Adrenaline sharpens your vision, but most games have come up with this idea that suddenly my eyeballs are going to fall apart under stress. Flinching, stamina decrease, etc. are all reasonable, though.

EDIT: Derp. I already pretty much posted this above. Eh well.

I guess i shouldn't have used rb6 as an example. Because that game has barely to no momentum in movement.

Regardless of that my point stands. This game does have momentum, and won't be a bulletsponge fest. So corner humping won't be as effective.

In the end, me using rb6 as an example was a really silly thing to do. The game is very flawed after all.

Sushi
On 2/18/2016 at 7:41 AM, Magor57 said:

I do not.

Remember Battlefield 3? Remember the most common specialization?

"Team Anti-Suppression." If you take less suppressive effects from someone shooting at you, it's the obvious choice. It would be useless to have it as a skill you can pick, since there would be no reason not to use it. So, as a selectable skill that heavily reduces suppression is an awful idea that just pads high-level players from the game's own mechanics.

The best alternative I can imagine is Red Orchestra 2's suppression mechanics. Leveling up slightly reduces how much suppression affects you, but it always does with enough fire. It's not an enormous gap in capability - but even then it is noticeable when you're fighting enemy Heroes. So it's not perfect either.

• Upvote 1

eltdrgntmr
4 hours ago, Sushi said:

I do not.

Remember Battlefield 3? Remember the most common specialization?

"Team Anti-Suppression." If you take less suppressive effects from someone shooting at you, it's the obvious choice. It would be useless to have it as a skill you can pick, since there would be no reason not to use it. So, as a selectable skill that heavily reduces suppression is an awful idea that just pads high-level players from the game's own mechanics.

The best alternative I can imagine is Red Orchestra 2's suppression mechanics. Leveling up slightly reduces how much suppression affects you, but it always does with enough fire. It's not an enormous gap in capability - but even then it is noticeable when you're fighting enemy Heroes. So it's not perfect either.

I don't really think suppression is too big of an issue in this game. Every game mentioned in this thread has respawns, so no one is really afraid of death; suppression is a contrived way to instill artificial fear of death in players.

In this one death is pretty real, since it means you lose all your stuff and get locked out. As long as the death penalty is big enough, all that's really needed is a little bit of dirt effect, nothing really intrusive.