Is everyone overdoing the Scav on Scav killing because Karma is coming?

BlackFive

Only been playing a month - but usually on my Scav runs I can count on other Scavs to kind of leave me alone...

But this week - it's been absurd.  I can't hardly get into my second loot location before some Player Scav is busting my chops for the Tushonka I just found and a TOZ.

Am I just naive, or just been lucky for the last few weeks?

Is this normal, or new?

• Like 1
DEADS

for me personally, im going to come after you

Every scav wants to kill me, every squad wants to hunt you down. id kill em if i where you 

Hijack_Dallas

just imagine, we get the lost stuff from labs, if we have good scav-karma by Fence lvl2.

We get not insured stuff from him, but what if we get even that from labs.

TarkovCitizen4431498
22 hours ago, BlackFive said:

Am I just naive, or just been lucky for the last few weeks?

Whenever I play scav at the start of a wipe everyone is fair game. I'm not going to hold fire.

I'd say you've been lucky, especially with the upcoming Karma system I think you will scav players with low karma (trying to) kill you as you will spawn in with better gear as them.

BlackFive

I'm still trying to get a feel for how this game is played.  Early advice was to 'run missions as PMC and do loot-runs as Scav'. 

Obviously both can kill and loot - but that was what I was told.  My initial impression was that as PMC it's me vs everyone (AI and other players), and too much time spent looting as PMC meant I likely would not extract with a completed mission.  However, as Scav, my understanding was it was just me vs PMCs - and I could use that advantage to focus more on looting as long as no PMCs were around.

That said - I did, during my first two weeks, literally try to kill everything I ran into (or run from fights, if possible) - but for the second two weeks (once I learned that Scavs would leave you alone if you did not shoot first) I generally left Scavs alone - and that shift, with me not starting trouble, resulted in fantastic loot hauls (for me) and the ability to make enough to upgrade my hideout and get better gear for my PMC.

Unfortunately this last week has been rough.

So - like I wrote; still trying to figure out the best way to approach my runs.

You_are_done

I'm playing a fair bit of scav, mostly because this is my first wipe and it helps me to learn the game while not having to buy items I can't always afford.

In my roughly 500 hours I have seen a multitude of scav players that open fire. Actually, I can not recall a lot of times where a scav player left me alone.

So from my view this has not changed at all and I think you have been lucky.

Regardless of that, I'm wondering how the whole scav karma thing will turn out. Maybe it's looking bigger than it will be. 

Dev53

I generally do escape and evade as a scav and only fire when fired upon. I find the fact that 'live' scavs are around as a good sign that PMCs are not in the area. And if a PMC arrives, my fellow scavs will start shouting and shooting, giving me a chance to GTFO!

I tend to only loot as a scav when I am near my extract. I also only kill my fellow scavs when I am ready to do my extract run and am unlikely to bump into any more on the way.

Tonight, one of them stood next to me while I was prone, waiting for a pair of PMCs to clear off in the distance as I could tell they were heading for UN roadblock, same as me. So, with my crappy shotgun, a quick headshot, loot his SKS and then run for it!

I now have a start screen with a fully loaded scav with SV-98, headset and I don't know what else, waiting for his home run...

Redbuffalo

It's always kind of been like this.  Some people are smart and understand that attacking another player scav is usually a lose/lose proposition.  If they don't kill you on the first shot, most likely you will land a few on them and since we don't usually get all the meds you need you both die or are injured to the point you can't extract.  I know the last dozen or so scav runs I've done people have attacked me and I either killed them or did enough damage that they likely died.  Hell, last scav run I did, I ran into a team of 3 scav players and managed to kill them all without any damage taken using a pump shotgun.  Until they add the karma system kill everything on sight or avoid everyone.  The wiggle isn't even respected anymore so don't try to make friends.

BlackFive
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Dev53 said:

I generally do escape and evade as a scav and only fire when fired upon. I find the fact that 'live' scavs are around as a good sign that PMCs are not in the area. And if a PMC arrives, my fellow scavs will start shouting and shooting, giving me a chance to GTFO!

I tend to only loot as a scav when I am near my extract. I also only kill my fellow scavs when I am ready to do my extract run and am unlikely to bump into any more on the way.

Tonight, one of them stood next to me while I was prone, waiting for a pair of PMCs to clear off in the distance as I could tell they were heading for UN roadblock, same as me. So, with my crappy shotgun, a quick headshot, loot his SKS and then run for it!

I now have a start screen with a fully loaded scav with SV-98, headset and I don't know what else, waiting for his home run...

10 hours ago, Redbuffalo said:

It's always kind of been like this.  Some people are smart and understand that attacking another player scav is usually a lose/lose proposition.  If they don't kill you on the first shot, most likely you will land a few on them and since we don't usually get all the meds you need you both die or are injured to the point you can't extract.  I know the last dozen or so scav runs I've done people have attacked me and I either killed them or did enough damage that they likely died.  Hell, last scav run I did, I ran into a team of 3 scav players and managed to kill them all without any damage taken using a pump shotgun.  Until they add the karma system kill everything on sight or avoid everyone.  The wiggle isn't even respected anymore so don't try to make friends.

You guys highlight what I'm grappling with.  I'm currently stuck on a mission where I have to visit 3 locations on Shoreline and extract.  All have to be visited in the same match - and the extract - otherwise there's no progression.  I've got concurrent missions to kill scavs with specific weapons; so I tend to go Shoreline with a middling-good kit... which tends to be expensive.  Mostly because I'm really good at getting 2 of the 3 tasks done, and then dying.

To support this, I'm running my Scavs on Reserve.  Three 'tales of the tape'.

• Run 1: I spawn with a Mosin, 17 rounds and a Scav backpack.  Right off the bat, I find a tank battery.  Fills the pack.  Time to extract.  Heading toward CP fence, I spot another Player Scav.  He does the wiggle, I let him go, wait a bit, then extract.  Profit.
  • Run 2: I've got a Hunter, 2 magazines and one of the big AA rounds (in the spawn pack).  9:00 to go in the raid.  I run into another Player Scav at Black Bishop.  He starts chasing me all over the place, shooting and I kill him.  Gut is blacked out and my dude is wheezing up a storm.  Guy had nothing but junk - but I scooped it up.  Never saw another player, looted and limped to the extract - but it did not have to be that way.  (And, to be fair - I lose these engagements more often than not, likely due to the other guy having the 'initiative').
  • Run 3: my son and I run a Duo and find awesome loot, including jumping and killing a pair of PMCs.  Mostly luck.  We use their heals and, since we are close, decide to check out D2 area.  Find an AESA and other good stuff.  We are LOADED.  Start heading for the extract and get rushed by a pair of PlayerScavs.  In a narrow hallway.  All 4 of us die.

So - on the one hand - I can see where selective Scav killing, especially when you are 'on the way out the door' (as @Dev53describes) is a good poker move.  Relatively low risk, for potentially high reward.  As @Redbuffalo writes, my most profitable (meaning I extract at all) runs are where I just avoid or don't see another player in close proximity for the entire run.  And while the 'wiggle' worked for both of us in Run 1, he's right; half the time the wiggle is a ruse. 

I haven't worked out the 'Game Theory' equation, but P-Scav on P-Scav combat is like an almost guaranteed way to 'waste time' over time.  The 4-6 minutes it takes to get into a raid, plus all the time scrounging and hiding, and then to flip the coin on fighting another P-Scav for, okay, what could be an AESA or more likely two lightbulbs, a tape measure and a CPU fan...  I'm not convinced that the 'all agro, all the time' meta is the right play.

Edited by BlackFive
Dev53

BTW, what's the Scav 'wiggle'? I think I saw it done yesterday. Is this a Player scav to player scav signal?

Hijack_Dallas
vor 7 Minuten schrieb Dev53:

BTW, what's the Scav 'wiggle'? I think I saw it done yesterday. Is this a Player scav to player scav signal?

Bots nowadays do this, ´cause players did this in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
Dev53

Well, today seems to be Scav killing day. 4 runs as a Scav, only one home run. I was careful, waited in a safe place until I made my home run but got hunted down by a PMC with less than 5 minutes before raid end, OR a PAIR of Player Scavs in a team springing out from behind a tree and both mag dumping on me, or just headshotted from behind while checking the run was clear. I think Scav karma would be an excellent idea. Along with a variable timer. Every Player Scav that shoots another Scav has 10 minutes added to their timer per killing. And the victim gets a reduction of 10 minutes.

Dev53

Another one. Player Scav waiting at a cache to shoot someone. I turned around just in time to see the flash. What's the point?

EZDean

You have to remember that you're not losing anything as a Scav. Even if you find some amazing gear in-raid - in the first place you didn't have that in your stash anyways, and there's no penalties after if you die. Everything is a bonus on a scav raid. You just wait a small while to use them again. Obviously you'll already know this but sometimes it's good to remember that if someone else is a player scav, there's no repercussions from shooting another scav or player, the risk vs reward factor is heavily in the reward side for the P-Scavs, so while you're on your scav, choose ruthless combat or shadow ratting.

The Woods expansion I find is amazing for scavving. You get the odd player knocking about but scavs do not bother you and you should just see them as alarm dogs for players. Don't waste time wiggling at player scavs in the hopes that they'll let you walk as it is extremely rare imo, and most of the time they will wiggle because they have worse gear than you or aren't confident they'll survive if you take them on in that moment. I've been shot in the back countless times wiggling at people when people actually used to do it more.

For now be ruthless, then when the karma gets introduced (which I am extremely excited about) - we can look at things again!

Hope any of that helped and happy raiding :) 

• Like 1
Dev53
31 minutes ago, EZDean said:

You have to remember that you're not losing anything as a Scav. Even if you find some amazing gear in-raid - in the first place you didn't have that in your stash anyways, and there's no penalties after if you die. Everything is a bonus on a scav raid. You just wait a small while to use them again. Obviously you'll already know this but sometimes it's good to remember that if someone else is a player scav, there's no repercussions from shooting another scav or player, the risk vs reward factor is heavily in the reward side for the P-Scavs, so while you're on your scav, choose ruthless combat or shadow ratting.

The Woods expansion I find is amazing for scavving. You get the odd player knocking about but scavs do not bother you and you should just see them as alarm dogs for players. Don't waste time wiggling at player scavs in the hopes that they'll let you walk as it is extremely rare imo, and most of the time they will wiggle because they have worse gear than you or aren't confident they'll survive if you take them on in that moment. I've been shot in the back countless times wiggling at people when people actually used to do it more.

For now be ruthless, then when the karma gets introduced (which I am extremely excited about) - we can look at things again!

Hope any of that helped and happy raiding :) 

I've actually given up on Scav raids on Woods now (unless he's got nice gear to try and get home!). I've resorted to naked pistol/knife raids as a PMC. I'm still only on level 6 after 3 resets and 200 hours. Still learning. I sold my secure container to get more guns to play with so I will reset again in 10 days and probably use Factory as my arena.

The reason I go in as a PMC is that when I inevitably die, I skip the healing screen and heal in my character screen using med kits which adds XP. Also, it avoids waiting 20 minutes (after a 40 minute game where I almost inevitably die - therefore a whole hour wasted!)

Once I reset again I will get my EOD 9x9 secure container back and be able to keep at least some of my loot. Yesterday I looted a Shemagh from a ground stash and wore it to try and sneak up on attachment cabin. I discovered that I can crawl to within 5 metres of a Scav, even when he's looking towards you! Was it the face covering that helped? I jumped up and tried to rush him with my machete but...

• Upvote 1
EZDean
19 minutes ago, Dev53 said:

I've actually given up on Scav raids on Woods now (unless he's got nice gear to try and get home!). I've resorted to naked pistol/knife raids as a PMC. I'm still only on level 6 after 3 resets and 200 hours. Still learning. I sold my secure container to get more guns to play with so I will reset again in 10 days and probably use Factory as my arena.

The reason I go in as a PMC is that when I inevitably die, I skip the healing screen and heal in my character screen using med kits which adds XP. Also, it avoids waiting 20 minutes (after a 40 minute game where I almost inevitably die - therefore a whole hour wasted!)

Once I reset again I will get my EOD 9x9 secure container back and be able to keep at least some of my loot. Yesterday I looted a Shemagh from a ground stash and wore it to try and sneak up on attachment cabin. I discovered that I can crawl to within 5 metres of a Scav, even when he's looking towards you! Was it the face covering that helped? I jumped up and tried to rush him with my machete but...

1. Scav Woods is amazing (don't believe everyone who bashes it!!) and it's all I do now, once you learn the right route/spots to go because it's quite a large map, my route tends to avoid players and even scavs, I don't encounter people/scavs easily 75% of the time and yet come out with a lot of expensive items! I make a minimum 300-400k+ a raid and on a scav that's some great profit imo. Scavs really you should just use for learning maps and like I say, loot runs when you find routes that work for you. It's all subjective!

2. You absolutely should keep your Secure Container on you at all times. Never ever sell it unless you've just earnt a bigger one. Going in with an empty container or even really basic meds you don't mind throwing/a keytool or Docs/SICC Case means you can switch out those items for in-raid items that even if you die, can still get you 50-100k in trader selling. I like the going in as a PMC as it will get you that EXP - but remember, even at the highest levels, you can still die in 1 bullet :P I tend to use a scav just to get me a loadout then do that same poo-run for profit on the PMC. 

3. I didn't know about that, I think you might have got lucky with getting that close but usually they'll mow you down haha. It's cosmetic with that type of thing like shemaghs unless it's actual armour. Take a pistol then you won't have to run right up ;) Even a crappy PM with 8 rounds in a mag is better than nothing. 1 bullet in the head and you've got a scav to take the rest of the gear off!

• Like 1
Dev53
3 hours ago, EZDean said:

1. Scav Woods is amazing (don't believe everyone who bashes it!!) and it's all I do now, once you learn the right route/spots to go because it's quite a large map, my route tends to avoid players and even scavs, I don't encounter people/scavs easily 75% of the time and yet come out with a lot of expensive items! I make a minimum 300-400k+ a raid and on a scav that's some great profit imo. Scavs really you should just use for learning maps and like I say, loot runs when you find routes that work for you. It's all subjective!

I think I just had an unlucky weekend with servers full of idiots... I have worked out most of my loot runs and pick locations that are almost never visited. I have routes that are mostly quiet.

2. You absolutely should keep your Secure Container on you at all times.

Yes, I had already decided to reset my game so it means I have another 1.5m roubles to spend on guns to try out etc. Saves on having to Scav run.

3. I didn't know about that, I think you might have got lucky with getting that close

I saw him  in the distance so I dropped and crawled the last few metres and tried to get towards him before I could risk a machete attack. I needed to get to UN roadblock and needed a gun to help me get there. Yes, I will pack a pistol from now on!

It's hit or miss. Typically I will stick with other NPC scavs and pretend I'm one of them just to get a feel for what's happening in the current raid. As long as you mind your own business, I will mind my own business. But if a player scav starts following me around and acting shady, I will not hesitate to shoot them. The other day I was on interchange moving in rotation with other AI scavs, pretending to be one of them. A player scav started to follow me (I think curiosity got the best of them in trying to figure out if I was an AI or not) and.. well.. curiosity killed the cat. 

Edited by anti678