Why can't people let you do tasks?

MrSquigglies

Why do you shoot everyone on sight? Why do you chase players obviously trying to avoid engagement? I just want to know if my shitty pistol and SKS are worth it.

• Sad 1
MrSquigglies
13 minutes ago, cpltrout said:

some tasks are to kill pmcs why cant you just let him do his task

Yeah if I shoot at you or act aggressively fair play. Not what I'm talking about. 

Redbuffalo

Welcome to Tarkov.  There's a ton of douchebags that are bored as hell doing tasks so they are just gonna run at every single fight/movement/possible sound.  They don't give 2 shits about anyone trying to actually do tasks.  They just want to ruin the game for everyone.  Add into that the ping exploiters, hackers and massive amounts of desync and you might as well just punch yourself in the nuts.  It'll be less painful than expecting to complete tasks, or expecting people to leave you alone while doing tasks, or people respecting the wiggle, or etc. etc. etc.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
chrisragnar

While I can agree excessive chase can be uncalled for. I think it's also up to players doing task to remain undetected or be ready to stand their ground.

MarcBorgia

The other issue is you never know if they person running away is just trying to reposition, come back to an angle you dont notice and then head/eyes you. Without a way to definitely distinguish an aggressive player prior to them shooting its better to shoot first and dont care later.

Evilwayz
10 hours ago, Redbuffalo said:

Welcome to Tarkov.  There's a ton of douchebags that are bored as hell doing tasks so they are just gonna run at every single fight/movement/possible sound.  They don't give 2 shits about anyone trying to actually do tasks.  They just want to ruin the game for everyone.  Add into that the ping exploiters, hackers and massive amounts of desync and you might as well just punch yourself in the nuts.  It'll be less painful than expecting to complete tasks, or expecting people to leave you alone while doing tasks, or people respecting the wiggle, or etc. etc. etc.. 

I think this is a pretty silly statement. 

You need to understand the mechanics of this game. This is a loot game. The more players on the map the less loot you get and the less money you make. You do not have an icon above your head telling me what you are doing. 

If I let you live that means two things for me. 

1. A person with an SKS or a pistol are more dangerous to me than a person with gear. A SKS or a pistol runner has nothing to lose. I still get killed by both of those guns if they shoot me in the head. So I do not care what gun you have...you are still a threat.

2. If I let you live you could pick up an item that I could have picked up. Why should I let you run around freely to loot the things I came on the map to find. That seems pretty silly. 

So again you do not have a tag above your head telling me what you are doing. You are not only a threat you are a loss of income if I let you live.

Furthermore tasks should not be easy. That is the whole point of tasks. They are a challenge. You have to get them done in a dangerous place. Maybe bring more gear and kill the other players rather than complaining they are killing you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Nasyr

Realistically it goes both ways, people will be trying to do quests but the PMC's you run into might also be doing a quest to kill other PMC's. I've been messing with a lot recently and most people who want to do quests get some NVG's and run night raids since it's less likely to run into other players. That would be my advice at the moment, when we see the Karma system this could change though since people will begin to think twice. 

Shaktimaan

@Evilwayz

The problem is that most of the tasks are extremely old and in extreme hotspots.

As of right now, they're the only means for progressing through the game as you most definitely need rep in order to complete them and there isn't any other source of obtaining rep.

A good example of this would be Prapor's "Checking" quest in customs. You cannot unlock any of Prapor's tasks without completing this one first and there is no meaningful way to get any decent gear instantly because the flea market is locked.

But this doesn't apply to other players who have the flea market unlocked.

6 hours ago, Evilwayz said:

Furthermore tasks should not be easy. That is the whole point of tasks. They are a challenge. You have to get them done in a dangerous place. Maybe bring more gear and kill the other players rather than complaining they are killing you.

This point of view is misguided because starting quests are starting quests because they're supposed to be "easy". The problem is that starting quests basically act like a progression blocker if you start late into the wipe which make them counter-intuitive.

I very well cannot recommend this game to anyone simply because of this reason. It's straight up bad quest placement with not much thought given into it because the people who're creating the game simply aren't playing it to know how horrible some of these quests are for an absolute beginner.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game and it's a great game, but I simply cannot recommend it to someone else at this stage of the development.

jockmcplop
4 hours ago, Shaktimaan said:

@Evilwayz

The problem is that most of the tasks are extremely old and in extreme hotspots.

As of right now, they're the only means for progressing through the game as you most definitely need rep in order to complete them and there isn't any other source of obtaining rep.

A good example of this would be Prapor's "Checking" quest in customs. You cannot unlock any of Prapor's tasks without completing this one first and there is no meaningful way to get any decent gear instantly because the flea market is locked.

This point of view is misguided because starting quests are starting quests because they're supposed to be "easy". The problem is that starting quests basically act like a progression blocker if you start late into the wipe which make them counter-intuitive.

I very well cannot recommend this game to anyone simply because of this reason. It's straight up bad quest placement with not much thought given into it because the people who're creating the game simply aren't playing it to know how horrible some of these quests are for an absolute beginner.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game and it's a great game, but I simply cannot recommend it to someone else at this stage of the development.

There are zero concessions for the absolute beginner in this game. Its pretty much what makes the game unique. Some people love it for that, some people hate it. You're thrown into the fire and just have to adapt.

Its debateable whether you should call that bad game design or a genius way to get a certain type of player involved (the masochistic type). 

GlitchWizard

LMFAO You people are freaking hilarious. Who just lets PMCs run around without killing them. Its shoot on sight. FOR EVERYONE. Im a scav im shooting on site, Im a pmc - shoot on site. 

Its not bad game design just get good. Dont act like the pmcs owe you something because you are doing a task. Thats what makes the game fun.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Evilwayz
7 hours ago, Shaktimaan said:

@Evilwayz

No you are incorrect here for expecting a game to be set at your difficulty. Dark Souls was successful because it was a challenge. This game is successful because it is a challenge. It is not like every other game. 

If your friends are like you and do not appreciate a challenge then I agree you should not recommend this to them. 

Mattd316
On 6/7/2021 at 7:17 AM, Redbuffalo said:

Someone shooting you in an fps is ruining the game for you??What exactly do you expect them to do in an fps game Smh seriously do some of you even think before leaving a comment my god!If getting killed in an fps game bothers you this obviously is not the game for you!

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
paracelsus1981
19 hours ago, Mattd316 said:

Someone shooting you in an fps is ruining the game for you??What exactly do you expect them to do in an fps game Smh seriously do some of you even think before leaving a comment my god!If getting killed in an fps game bothers you this obviously is not the game for you!

I was overtaken yesterday in Assetto Corsa. Filed a harassment complaint....with the loacal police department

• Like 1
On 6/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Mattd316 said:

How about when I am actively shouting 'HOLD YOUR FIRE', holding a MELEE WEAPON, aat the FOOT OF THE STEPS to the portable cabin for Prapors task, I know GOD DAMN WELL that the player on the other side of that wall has MILES BETTER GEAR, just came from DORMS so probably is fully loaded anyway, and can't take any more loot, and shoots me regardless of whether I had any loot or not. I didn't btw just started doing hatchet runs to do these because Idk... I thought this could have been a fun game... I'm probably uninstalling soon or might just wait for something big to change.

Realism is close. Gunplay is fun. I have the most fun playing as a scav, but that's not what the game is supposed to be about...

I'm not even asking for this to be EASY. I just don't think I need some random stranger's approval to upgrade my f*cking front door.

• Upvote 1

Finding it hilarious that you idiots are quoting me about this.  Obviously sarcasm is lost on you people.  I could give 2 fucks about other pmcs and scavs trying to kill me.  But even you hardcore armchair warriors have to admit that this game has basically turned into COD without the revive option.  Too many people have maxed out stats and are bunny hopping in an extremely unrealistic way. 

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, MrSquigglies said:

How about when I am actively shouting 'HOLD YOUR FIRE', holding a MELEE WEAPON, aat the FOOT OF THE STEPS to the portable cabin for Prapors task, I know GOD DAMN WELL that the player on the other side of that wall has MILES BETTER GEAR, just came from DORMS so probably is fully loaded anyway, and can't take any more loot, and shoots me regardless of whether I had any loot or not. I didn't btw just started doing hatchet runs to do these because Idk... I thought this could have been a fun game... I'm probably uninstalling soon or might just wait for something big to change.

Realism is close. Gunplay is fun. I have the most fun playing as a scav, but that's not what the game is supposed to be about...

I'm not even asking for this to be EASY. I just don't think I need some random stranger's approval to upgrade my f*cking front door.

If he is on the other side of wall how is he supposed to know your not geared as well he might also think you are faking the hold your fire and watching to pop a cap in him also. 

• Sad 1
On 6/8/2021 at 12:49 PM, Evilwayz said:

No you are incorrect here for expecting a game to be set at your difficulty. Dark Souls was successful because it was a challenge. This game is successful because it is a challenge. It is not like every other game. 

If your friends are like you and do not appreciate a challenge then I agree you should not recommend this to them. 

All I'm saying is that it's a bad design for newcomers.

As long as we're comparing it do dark souls, in dark souls, your first enemy isn't a boss or to find a legendary weapon from a dude the taskmaster half remembered and forgot where he lived and the location of the chest is somewhere in the world. It's usually a simple skeleton which you have to kill.

The reason for this is that the players should get accustomed to the new environment of the game with how things work.

Intro quests should be about purchasing things and loading magazines correctly with the right ammo type and not find a random key with zero indication is to where it is in the dorm which fits into who knows which "car" and not a truck.

Example of an intro quest : Go into customs and kill 3 scavs with an SKS. Reload your weapon before every kill. Optionally, fire 10 rounds from your SKS.

Another example : Enter any map and successfully extract from the raid.

Seems like you missed the point of my previous reply, so I'm giving it another shot.

Edited by Shaktimaan
42 minutes ago, Shaktimaan said:

As long as we're comparing it do dark souls, in dark souls, your first enemy isn't a boss or to find a legendary weapon from a dude the taskmaster half remembered and forgot where he lived and the location of the chest is somewhere in the world. It's usually a simple skeleton which you have to kill.

The reason for this is that the players should get accustomed to the new environment of the game with how things work.

Intro quests should be about purchasing things and loading magazines correctly with the right ammo type and not find a random key with zero indication is to where it is in the dorm which fits into who knows which "car" and not a truck.

Example of an intro quest : Go into customs and kill 3 scavs with an SKS. Reload your weapon before every kill. Optionally, fire 10 rounds from your SKS.

Seems like you missed the point of my previous reply, so I'm giving it another shot.

Clearly it's not a "bad design" if it's consistently pulling in new players, high player counts, and high Twitch viewership. 

BSG has made it very apparent that this isn't a game that's meant to hand hold you until you get on your feet in the game. It's meant to be tough and challenging, and it has been tough and challenging for every player's first wipe or two. I can say for certain that my first 2-3 wipes were extremely rough before I got the hang of things and got to where I am now. I didn't get there by being given "baby's first raid" style quests where I was basically force-fed rewards due to how easy the quests were.

If you don't enjoy the challenge this game provides, then don't play it and don't recommend it to anybody. The last thing a game with a unique image needs is more people who want cookie cutter gaming experiences that don't set themselves apart from others.

6 hours ago, Sir_Mossy said:

Clearly it's not a "bad design" if it's consistently pulling in new players, high player counts, and high Twitch viewership. 

It is, it's just that with the online resources we have at our disposal (Reddit, wiki, forums, etc), it doesn't really matter.

BSG has made it very apparent that this isn't a game that's meant to hand hold you until you get on your feet in the game. It's meant to be tough and challenging, and it has been tough and challenging for every player's first wipe or two.

Yes and I'm not disputing that. People seem to misunderstand what I want to say.

All I want to say is that the new player integration experience is bad (if you want to completely play it solo and want to discover things for yourself) and it can obviously be improved.

Dark Souls is a hardcore game, but it has a tutorial which teaches you the mechanics of the game.

I didn't get there by being given "baby's first raid" style quests where I was basically force-fed rewards due to how easy the quests were.

Nah, but you did get there by constantly opening the wiki in a different tab and by watching guides, didn't you? So you got your "baby's first guide" and that's my whole point, the lack of resources and documentation ingame is so lack luster, it's insane. You constantly got to refer to the wiki like a child.

If you don't enjoy the challenge this game provides, then don't play it and don't recommend it to anybody.

Constantly watching the wiki isn't challenging at all and you know you're guilty of it. In the end, you're being a total hypocrite by literally watching cookie cutter quest guides and item locations.

You want to judge me for pointing out the lack of ingame resources for things but you yourself are guilty of holding hands on the wiki and using the baby ladder for your so called "pristine hardcore progression". You can't have it both ways 😃 

Edited by Shaktimaan
19 hours ago, Shaktimaan said:

See this is the problem. You have gotten used to a mold.

Let me give you an example. For decades movies and shows refused to kill off core characters. The story always needed a happy ending. 

In walks George R. R. Martin. He grew up always reading these stories of these amazing deadly adventures and yet all the characters magically survived. He found it to be unrealistic. He went on to create one of the most successful series in history called Game of Thrones. 

Nobody was safe in that series. People started actively trying not to become attached to any characters. The show kept you on the edge because it was finally not predictable. 

This game broke the natural mold that held your hand. You had to actively figure out how things worked. It is pure torture in the beginning of the game. With that said when you learned the game it was that much more satisfactory. The bigger the challenge the more satisfying success is. 

I love what they designed here and I love the game exactly how it is. 

There are 4 type of people in this game:

1 - kappa runners that got it and now pvp

2 - kappa runners that don't see meaning in pvp and stopped playing or soft wipe their pmc

3 - bad players thinking quests are eternal like old adventure games

4 - call of duty players that know that wipe comes and just wanna have fun and pvp since day zero

Don't. Be. Player. Three.

17 hours ago, Evilwayz said:

See this is the problem. You have gotten used to a mold.

Let me give you an example. For decades movies and shows refused to kill off core characters. The story always needed a happy ending. 

In walks George R. R. Martin. He grew up always reading these stories of these amazing deadly adventures and yet all the characters magically survived. He found it to be unrealistic. He went on to create one of the most successful series in history called Game of Thrones. 

Nobody was safe in that series. People started actively trying not to become attached to any characters. The show kept you on the edge because it was finally not predictable. 

This game broke the natural mold that held your hand. You had to actively figure out how things worked. It is pure torture in the beginning of the game. With that said when you learned the game it was that much more satisfactory. The bigger the challenge the more satisfying success is. 

I love what they designed here and I love the game exactly how it is. 

No, I haven't gotten used to the mold as it literally doesn't exist.

It's not me who's figuring things out, it's me who's copying someone else's notes who has things figured out and who has most likely copied the work from someone else.

I personally want to figure things out for myself, but it's pointless to search a literal needle in a haystack and to save time, there's the wiki (or the easy way out which you just have to take otherwise good luck getting stuck forever in the limbo).

Your analogy should be morphed into "George R.R Martin basically released a 400 page book and only wrote 3 sentences max. 1) Dude goes into the jungle, nobody knows who he is and I barely remember the dude. 2) I have no idea where his friend lives as I don't know the dude, but the dude's friend has a key. 3) I made a half baked promise to the dude to give his family back his watch, so go ahead and write the story yourself, thanks!."

Normally, when someone gives you a job like that, even they would agree that there's literally no info which they've given to you so how in the world are you even supposed to complete their job?