Initial Gear Value (IGV) for Matchmaking

Hitmaniac1

Yes, I know. This may have been brought up in the past, but the more I think of it, the more sense it makes: having differentiated lobbies by player gear value at the start of a raid should mean more fun for EVERYONE.  

I love this game and I love that it is unforgiving. I put up a good 800 - 1,500 hrs per wipe since the very early Alpha, but despite this, I have to face a fact: I'm not good at the game, and so are the vast majority of the Tarkov player base (don't get me started on Gauss distributions). Be it because we don't have enough time to put into the game, or because our skills just got to their limit, the fact is that we are not getting much better. Not being good in the game as it is now, means that I'm forced to miss out on a good part of the game and the fun, and this shouldn't be like this. For example: 

- I'm not comfortable running expensive kits. Since I'm not good, you'll never see me running RSASS, Reaper / Thermal scopes, Slicks or even an MK-47. Actually I won't even run M4's or mildly kitted AK's, because I rather play 10 games with an SKS and a VPO scope, than a single game with a kitted M4, only to die to the Chad army. 

- I can never even get close to high loot areas, which makes it more difficult to get money, thus making the gear fear and the Chad fear even worse. Actually, I am forced to avoid high transit areas and run all around the corners of the map. 

- Wipe's "late game" begins barely 1 month into the wipe, so if you are not able to play in the first two or three weeks of the raid, your quests are going to be nearly impossible to achieve, thus taking away a lot of the fun possibilities of the game. 

My suggestion for this would be to have 3 tiers: a) less that 100K gear, 100 - 500K gear, and 500K+ gear. Far more importantly, why would differentiated lobbies be good for EVERYONE in the game? 

- In the "late game", geared players will not even find it satisfying to kill a Timmy. Instead, if they want to run a raid fully kitted, they will find a real challenge with similarly geared players. Same time investment, more challenge and more reward for everyone that wants to participate. Matches will really be based on skill and won't be heavily influenced by budget.

- Low-skilled players can still do quests pitted against others in their same conditions, thus can still have fun and unlock most features of the game. 

- If at some point someone with poor skills wants to test how Chad life is, he/she can just gear up knowing what is about to come. And after getting killed, you can always return to your safe zone, and still have fun. 

- Missing out on some weeks/days per wipe should not be punishing and should not be a reason to push away player fan base. This would allow for it.

- If you join the wipe late, probably you will find deserted lobbies, which should allow you to get easier loot, killing scavs, making more money, and being able to catch up with whatever lobby level you want to play in. 

- If you abuse of Chad life and go bankrupt, you can be sure that you can always go back to a lower tier lobby and compete in similar conditions to make money again. 

- You can have Labs still be a non-matchmaking map, which means it can remain the nasty Rat/Chad pool it has always been.   

- If streamers and other high-hour-input players want to start running M4's on day 3 of the wipe, they can do it. They will most likely keep on finding lobbies, except they will always face similarly kitted chads, which again means more challenge, instead of just running around gunning down Timmies like some russsian CoD version. 

- This solution actually (or at least partially) solves the "end game problem", because it will allow players to keep having a challenge regardless of their level, budget or real-life gaming skills. 

- This solution also does not change the life of the Chad nation, but makes it fun to keep on playing for the rest of us.

Let's get past the "git gud", "NiKiTha Zaid tHeRe wiLl nEveR bE MaTChMakInG" and "Tarkov should be unforgiving". No, I'm not getting any good, but I should still have fun. Yes, I know what Nikita said, but he can always re-evaluate decisions in order to improve the game. And yes, Tarkov is hard and unforgiving, but even in a hard, unforgiving game, there should be possibilities to have a fun and keep on playing, rather than just turning your back in a game you really love, just because you are not good. 

I hope I'll find some support in the community and maybe someday this idea will reach to Nikita's desk.  

• Upvote 2

Iv been saying this.

Its never fun killing timmys and most of the I just drop there gear in hopes they insured it. 

But i think it would be great if i came in with killa armor and a decked out gun that i run into people running class 5+ and kited out guns...but i dont think it will ever happen...sadly

This idea has already reached the devs, and they have said no every time.

Predictability in this game is something they want to minimize, and knowing that bringing certain gear will match you against certain other players is a predictable feature that would go against that mentality. Matchmaking of any kind, whether it be based on group size or gear, is something they don't want to add to the game. 

4 hours ago, Hitmaniac1 said:

#1 - Wipe's "late game" begins barely 1 month into the wipe, so if you are not able to play in the first two or three weeks of the raid, your quests are going to be nearly impossible to achieve, thus taking away a lot of the fun possibilities of the game. 

#1. I'd day and if feel that MOST would also say, that the quests are much harder to achieve in the 1st few weeks due to the around of people literally ALL running to the same place; not to mention but have you noticed by LVL 15 you have more or less tasks asking for "found in raid" barter items not actually find and retrieve tasks? like GASans, car battery's, medical equipment and food for that hairy guy in the woods? (marking tanks does not count). So more or less of the chads are incentivized to even go near any of those early tasks. Your PERSONAL experience may be otherwise but that's the reality. 

- I'm not comfortable running expensive kits. Since I'm not good, you'll never see me running RSASS, Reaper / Thermal scopes, Slicks or even an MK-47. Actually I won't even run M4's or mildly kitted AK's, because I rather play 10 games with an SKS and a VPO scope, than a single game with a kitted M4, only to die to the Chad army. 

Why is their the perception that gear makes you good? Or that you must be good to use it? I'd argue that if you are "bad" you should be running that M4 and slick, you'd just sell it anyway what's the use of millions of rubles if you never use it?  You can rat around with your Sks but with a Gen4. Why do you die more with an M4 than with your Sks vepo scope? you don't have to run and gun just because you have an M4 that shreds if anything it increases the chance you don't die to the "chad army" (wearing good armor and having a competitive weapon).
Its also nobody fault but your you don't feel ok with running good gear its called GEAR FEAR everyone's gotta get over it, why be scared of losing it in raid if you just lose it to a trader or you sell it on the flea TO THE CHADS THAT KILL YOU.

- In the "late game", geared players will not even find it satisfying to kill a Timmy. Instead, if they want to run a raid fully kitted, they will find a real challenge with similarly geared players. Same time investment, more challenge and more reward for everyone that wants to participate. Matches will really be based on skill and won't be heavily influenced by budget.

Whats your mentality here? If you think chads just want PvP then why would they fight other chads when they can get a guarantee that they will be against other suckers with low level ammo and armor. If you have the "belief" that chads are more skilled then they should be better still when given the same "gear market cap" 

The reality again is that "chads" wear "chad" gear so they don't die to "Timmy's" and Scav's, most other chads have M995 and other "super penetrators" so that Lvl5 aint poo to anyone but the plebs. This runs back to YOU being afraid of wearing better kits and the fact is you are complaining about your survival chances while simultaneously choosing to not wear equipment that will increase your survival chance.

5 hours ago, Hitmaniac1 said:

#2 - Low-skilled players can still do quests pitted against others in their same conditions, thus can still have fun and unlock most features of the game. 

#2 - If at some point someone with poor skills wants to test how Chad life is, he/she can just gear up knowing what is about to come. And after getting killed, you can always return to your safe zone, and still have fun. 

#1 This would cause nearly everyone to just spam quests easy as pie, like seriously why run quests in the 500k+ lobby when you can farm 10's of millions with the plebs and if again as above^, if you think the "chads" are more skilled (they are not) then they will still destroy you in the 0-100k lobby the same as the higher tier lobby so this change is meaningless to your survival and thus your quest progression.

2# Again why run the chad life? You run "chad" so you dont die: "chad" gear is meaningless against other chads. 

Nice Idea but i think people run expensive gear so they don't die to Timmys xD if you put everyone in their budgets, the gear starts to be meaningless at all. You know, why wear expensive gear since it isn't improving your game experience at all, because in your class everyone has the expensive gear

Edited by BlazedSquirrel

No. I use big gear to protect myself when doing difficult quests. What's the point of carrying all that money on me if my survivability doesn't increase?

Edited by Starioshka

There won't be such thing like matchmaking based on anything. Please, use Search option next time before posting. There were plenty of threads about it, here is good example: click

#locked