New Player - Constantly Facing High Level Experienced Players, Getting Stomped

Super_Searle

I literally bought my first gaming PC to play this game and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the experience so far.

I understand that even good players only get a 60-70% survival rate, but mine is around 10% when I'm not playing as a skav. If I don't get headshot out of nowhere by a skav sniper I can't see then I get a team of 4 players all rush me even when I've made zero noise and have done nothing to give my position away to them.

As a new player I don't understand why so little is done to make the experience less brutal - again, I know that's part of the game, but how am I meant to get better or ever enjoy the game when I'm constantly being sucker punched by people with far better weapons and usually dead before I even know they exist?

I've tried the offline mode, but half the time the skavs don't even spawn in, so I'm just wandering around an empty map.

I've done the standard YouTube research/stick to Customs etc., but right now I'm probably going to uninstall - that there's no attempt to make a newcomers playlist or have any kind of skill based matchmaking just feels like a middle finger at me for being poo - just let me play with other poo players so I can get used to it rather than being a punching bag!

I'm sure the game devs are selling enough copies to not care about people like me, but I regret giving them my money at this point.

Its tough but you really should stick with it.  Everyone starts this game in the same situation as you’re describing.  They stuck with it.  You’ll get better.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Super_Searle said:

I literally bought my first gaming PC to play this game and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the experience so far.

I understand that even good players only get a 60-70% survival rate, but mine is around 10% when I'm not playing as a skav. If I don't get headshot out of nowhere by a skav sniper I can't see then I get a team of 4 players all rush me even when I've made zero noise and have done nothing to give my position away to them.

As a new player I don't understand why so little is done to make the experience less brutal - again, I know that's part of the game, but how am I meant to get better or ever enjoy the game when I'm constantly being sucker punched by people with far better weapons and usually dead before I even know they exist?

I've tried the offline mode, but half the time the skavs don't even spawn in, so I'm just wandering around an empty map.

I've done the standard YouTube research/stick to Customs etc., but right now I'm probably going to uninstall - that there's no attempt to make a newcomers playlist or have any kind of skill based matchmaking just feels like a middle finger at me for being poo - just let me play with other poo players so I can get used to it rather than being a punching bag!

I'm sure the game devs are selling enough copies to not care about people like me, but I regret giving them my money at this point.

Watch a lot on YouTube & Twitch. Consult Forums, Reddit, and Wiki for useful info. Learn as much as you can from these sources.

Next try just doing Scav Runs. Collect some gear and then practice a lot in Offline mode.

After that use Official Discord, Reddit, Forums, and other LFG platforms to find some players to play with. Solo is hard for new players and you will have a much easier time in a group.

Next continue a bit more in offline mode and learning info from the internet.

From time to time try solo once again.

1 hour ago, Super_Searle said:

Brotha, I think its easy to say that most of the experienced Tarkov players have probably been playing PC games for years if not a decade like myself. For Tarkov to be your FIRST computer game, its transparent how hard it actually is, there are so many different techniques and movement in this game, a lot consisting of smashing multiple keys in combination with each other. If you are a console player coming to PC I would recommend trying some other games out first, learn the keyboard, get comfortable with being able to slide your hand across the keyboard without looking. 

Unfortunately for you, you chose (in my opinion) one of the harder FPS games on PC. I started on DayZ mod back in 2010, that is the game that made me want a computer. To be honest man I felt the same way years ago when I kept getting killed trying to get off the shoreline as a 'bambi' trying to make my way north but not having extensive knowledge of the map and where I should expect players but just like anything you practice you'll learn eventually. Fortunately for me my first PC game wasn't a hardcore survival game, it was CSS and I think that is where I really learned how to play FPS games. 

Getting into Tarkov, first time playing PC, that is my 2 cents on what you should do my dude. This game is brutal.

If you understand where you spawn on the map, for example customs. You can look where other players spawn so you know where to be aware of players.

Pick one map and stick to it buddy, don't give up!

Appreciate the responses - I've been playing FPS as a genre for 15+ years, so I get the mechanics of it all, and I've watched a whole bunch on YouTube, and am sticking to Customs and have a good level of map knowledge, I'm just pretty dismayed at the complete lack of effort to give new players a chance. 

I'm playing other PC games alongside and I have no issue getting kills there, it's just that every raid I get hit before I even know the other player is there, usually at long range. I'm doing things to try and avoid it such as not looting in the open, sticking to lower traffic areas, keeping noise down etc., but to constantly waste 20-30 minutes looting on a raid only to be killed by a hidden assailant without kill cam so you can't even learn from your mistakes - brutal doesn't even cover it.

I've played a lot of r6 siege which, while a bit of a different genre, also has a steep learning curve, but they have things such as skill based matchmaking and a newcomer playlist to help new players, the devs on this just don't seem to give a poo about new players. IMO it's just pure laziness to rely on people spending days of game time not having fun and spending time out of the game watching YouTube tutorials before you can even take a gun fight and have a chance in winning. 

I just don't get the logic in putting me, a complete noob, in the same lobby as kitted out, high level vets of the game. I just get curb stomped every encounter while learning nothing, it's not fun and from what I've read online the devs have no intent to change anything, they just don't give a poo. 

Massively regret giving them my money at this point to be honest. Even going on raids with friends isn't fun, I just hear them saying they've killed people and I just tag along and pick from the carcasses. 

The subreddit is full of people will similar experiences, I just don't get it, surely the game is never going to grow if this is their attitude to new players?

I would play a different game until you have gotten used to mouse and keyboard. You need more shooting time to get build your muscle memory, unfortunately tarkov isn't all shooting so you don't get as many opportunities to feel how the recoil works. I would find a different shooter to get practice in that have respawns so most of your play time isn't spent in a menu. There is no way you are gunna win many fights if you have to look down at your keyboard every few seconds. Soon as you start getting used to mouse and keyboard the game becomes a lot easier, trust me this was my first pc game  after switching from  years on a xbox. Getting my head round the new input took months. 

Edited by CuckooDan

10 hours ago, Super_Searle said:

The subreddit is full of people will similar experiences, I just don't get it, surely the game is never going to grow if this is their attitude to new players?

cause those who complain about this specific reason are the ones who watched some content creator and before seeing the dev's vision, bought the game.

BSG always had this vision, you must suffer in this game. this is the way they thing about this game, and i personally bought this game cause like the grind and challenge. there are lots of fps games out there with matchmaking system that you can enjoy.

and keep in mind always those who want to complain, come to these forums. those who enjoy the game, will not try to make a thread of thank you BSG for this or that.

Right, so I like to look for new players and offer to play with them if they want. Me and the friends I play with are all family older guys and have played this for years. We are not experts but I would like to think we are good players and know the maps, mechanics, and overall vibe of the game very well.

Direct message me here your Discord and we can hook up and run with you if you want. Also the Official EFT Discord always has people looking for groups as well as official Sherpas to help you. Lots of help out there for you, just up to you whom and where you want to look.

Regardless welcome to hell...err EFT and happy hunting!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Super_Searle said:

sbmm ruins every game it touches that doesnt have ranks 

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Super_Searle said:

Well, all I can say is just simply learn on mistakes. Analyse every death. Try to consider what have you done wrong. But do it wisely - you can win the duel with "worse" gear. When I was new player, I've been constantly thinking what I should have done better - maybe I'd had to better hold angle, made less noise, should've run away instead of trying to fight? 

Spend first wipe on learning. Even if you loose everything. Everyone of us was new player one time, and everyone had struggles and the beginning. 

EFT is supposed to be brutal, it won't hold your hand. 

I agree with @Biala_Mewa but there is a lot of help you can find out there. This game is meant to be brutal, frustrating, and just hand you your rear end. The odd thing is though when you do adapt, overcome, and push through your victories are not shallow but memorable moments that stick with you. Just as you do not play ARMA say as a CoD clone, EFT is not meant to be fair. lol, now I am not referring to cheaters or toxic players that just play lamely (exit campers, quest spot campers, etc) but on an even playing field when you get your first say Boss or PMC kill you will remember it because it was hard to do.

I won't bump this thread but seriously my offer stands and there are plenty of players out there willing to help you learn to adapt. Think of it like Chess, you do not learn and become a better player by playing against those equal or lower to you in skill but you learn by getting your arse handed to you by masters. Accept that you are going to die, A LOT, and then start to think 3 dimensionally instead of 2 dimensional if that makes sense because twitch reflexes only get you so far before experience and abstract thinking wins out the day (my little .02).

• Upvote 1

There’s some good advice above.

Unfortunately, the reality is that all the YouTube vids, tips and whatever will only help a little.

The real power in Tarkov is experience. After you put the time in, you start to understand the rhythm and flow of raids. You get a feel for where players will be and where they watch. You learn how a fight kicking off in the distance will attract others from likely locations. There’s a multitude of different little things that need to be absorbed before you have the full skill set to get by.

I’m not trying to put you off, I fully remember starting out. Constantly getting killed is frustrating as hell, but every defeat is a lesson.

I’d really take up @Elder-Drakeon that offer if you can. It would definitely speed up the process for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As someone who has played since closed alpha. Discussions about SBMM and in-depth offline co-op or anything that dilutes the experience is something that the devs will absolutely not entertain. It’s always been that way and always will. You may not agree, but that’s the way of it. It’s their game and have not mislead anyone into thinking it is anything else. 

EVERYONE started like you. We all had to find our way to succeed, you just need to find yours. The devs are not interested in helping anyone learn the game - it’s on the player to figure it out. It’s like Dark Souls in that respect. No hand-holding. This isn’t a game for instant gratification. You have to EARN it in this game, and that takes time and a lot of effort and determination. The good news is that the rewards are worth it. Whilst the lows in this game are horrendous, equally the highs are beyond belief. No other game matches the rush this game gives at its best. 

Now, if you’re not a quitter and are willing to put some effort it, but you are the kind of player that needs support in some way and cannot learn a game like this alone, then I suggest joining a discord and finding a Sherpa or group to help you learn the nuances of the game. Once you start understanding the mechanics, tricks, tips and strategies to succeed, it’ll start coming together and you’ll have the experience you’re looking for. 

So good luck and if this game isn’t for you, that’s fine too. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Super_Searle said:

Try Woods, not Many super chads there. Imo customs has more gamerboys so It can be harder for New players. Just my toughts. 

I just don't get the logic in putting me, a complete noob, in the same lobby as kitted out, high level vets of the game.

@Super_Searle

That's also know as "open world". It would be piss boring if every fight you got in was more or less equal. Absolute randomness enables various flavors of strategies to be employed, main one of them being to run away like hell - my personal favorite.

Keep in mind that this is not a PvP game, makes it easier to grasp the concept that you simply do not have to fight.

Edited by Starioshka

Game is terrible anyways, people are holding down the trigger with recoilless guns. Most people play the game in groups and just camp to abuse solo players or speed run the game and grief casuals just trying to do retarded quests. No logic to the killing system, the fact that you can survive gut shots better than legs and arms is hilarious. 

3 hours ago, loamandil said:

Game is terrible anyways, people are holding down the trigger with recoilless guns. Most people play the game in groups and just camp to abuse solo players or speed run the game and grief casuals just trying to do retarded quests. No logic to the killing system, the fact that you can survive gut shots better than legs and arms is hilarious. 

So if it is so terrible for YOU maybe just don`t play it?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, coredumped7893 said:

So if it is so terrible for YOU maybe just don`t play it?

That's the spirit!  Don't support or encourage new players, just tell them to get lost.  As you wrote that response, were you thumbing through the BSG financial forecast and realizing you're going to see 4% revenue growth from cheaters re-buying the game and that seemed like a better overall investment than new players who want to learn?

11 minutes ago, Fyction said:

Don't support or encourage new players, just tell them to get lost.

Maybe don`t be so negative about everything? You are here the one who is complaining not me. 

First of all, my job is not to "encourage new players" I honestly don`t care. 

This game is not designed for everyone, if someone is not enjoying it then whats the point of playing it?

And seeing how you are reacting to simple dehydration event I wouldn't say that you are happy to learn new things. For some reason it makes you so sad and nervous. 

Edited by coredumped7893
  • Upvote 1

Alpha games are built on consumer feedback.  How you choose to interpret that feedback is on you.  I can tell that you don't care by your engagement.  

I'm a big fan of this game, i think it's one of the best in a long time, however, that doesn't put it beyond reproach.  The game is fallible, the devs are fallible, i'm fallible, and moderators are certainly fallible.  If no one says anything, then the devs think they're geniuses.  Topic volume is easy to track and turn into raw data that will tell give them real time feedback on the matter.  Cheerleading is useless.

• Sad 1

@Fyction

Cheerleading is useless.

Right ON BSG! Great Event! Great Game! 👍

Keep doing exactly what you are doing and pay less attention to these forums. I'll take care of them.

Edited by Starioshka

On 7/30/2021 at 3:00 PM, Super_Searle said:

Just reading your first sentence I cringed a little! Only because u got a PC to play one of the hardest PC games that I’ve ever played! If you can’t aim, or don’t know how to use keyboard OMG I’d be losing it if I were you! With that said I’d say venture off and play other games, pubg, cs-go, other FPS shooters that aren’t as complicated but require the skill of aiming and movement! Then in between of learning MNK with other games play tarkov here and there. Or even get one of those aiming sims. Also I played pc long time ago but switched to Xbox for a significant time as well so lost the WASD movement, then 6 years ago switched back to PC. :)That was a shell shock to me I sucked so hard!! Had an average .62 k/d in PUBG then after a year of just grinding I slowly got better! Now I’m consistently at 2.5 to 3.0 k/d on PUBG and pretty much every other FPS! Tarkov however is a different animal. You have k/d but kinda meaningless 3 yrs of playing and I hold 10+ k/d 70% survival rate and usually have close to 1000 PMC kills each wipe, sometimes more! Keep working at it l, make friends and gain knowledge about the game, rat around, play offline mode a lot, especially labs/Factory with scavs on hoard mode! One day you’ll just see you got better! Only thing is u can’t become a celebrity overnight! Famous quote from a good song lol! Have fun and enjoy your raids my fellow TARKONIANS! 

To begin with, don't watch YouTube or Twitch unless you are there for entertainment. If you want to learn how to play the game, you need to play the game. Shoreline is probably the best to learn the basics on as there are plenty of different areas with scavs, and differing approaches to killing them. Don't know where something is? Alt+Tab to the wiki and find out what you need. Don't know where to extract? Alt+Tab to the wiki.

You can watch Twitch and YouTube until the cows come home but it won't make you a better player - developing your skills in-game will make you a better player. If what you are doing isn't working, take a different approach. Try something different.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, Super_Searle said:

I'm playing other PC games alongside and I have no issue getting kills there, it's just that every raid I get hit before I even know the other player is there, usually at long range. I'm doing things to try and avoid it such as not looting in the open, sticking to lower traffic areas, keeping noise down etc., but to constantly waste 20-30 minutes looting on a raid only to be killed by a hidden assailant without kill cam so you can't even learn from your mistakes - brutal doesn't even cover it.

You also have to take into account that experienced players are experts at exploiting the game's broken combat tactics, such as maximizing peeker's advantage and desync in combat. It's not just tactics, or planning, or aimskill. It's all of those, plus netcode exploitation. 

See this video for more info 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1