Offline mode improvement suggestions

PKLewzer

I love the idea of this game, but its become a damn lifestyle for some people and I didn't hand over my money to get walked on by them.... so here are some things i think would help:

being able to make some progress offline - why not allow players to keep and collect loot offline? anything collected would have to be used in offline mode, but being able to collect the loot would keep players that just enjoy PvE happy.

and on that note, an offline hideout as well. so all items earned offline are kept in your offline stash. as for levels, you could have separate characters for offline and online modes, respectively. 

i honestly think this would be a huge improvement

I'd like to have a true offline mode with AI PMC characters just to ensure the game will be able to be played in the distant future when the official game servers stop.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Biala_mewa

I believe it should be in the game to make the experience more enjoyable for players that aren't into competitive PvP.

the game is great; which is why there are people playing for hours a day every single day... but those of us that don't do that are being crushed left and right. This just makes the game unappealing, especially when we have representatives telling us that they do not have any plans to add an offline mode yet.  

I'd suggest a poll. It wouldn't hurt to ask the community what they think, and I'm confident that the polls will show that the majority of community  supports the addition of this feature.

Edit: 

To be more specific, in order to progress, we are expected to go into raid, complete objectives, and extract; It's a simple enough system, but I would say that the biggest issue is that the servers are indiscriminate when it comes to skill and gear.

For example, me being level 7 limits my access to BOTH: items to protect me from premium ammunition, and the ammunition to get through anyone with better gear...which is almost everyone. What I am trying to say is that after dying in 4 consecutive raids and wasting the entirety of almost 2 hours, I have nothing to show for it. It's bad enough that I'm playing a video game and not making progress in real life for those 2 hours, so there seems to be no point in continuing seeing as though I am more than likely to come back with nothing.

so now we are here: I have given you 30 dollars for a game that I cannot progress in. If I were able to progress, I know for a fact I would upgrade my game package. As things are, however, I am left as a consumer that feels like I have given my money to a company that is not willing to hear out their customers.

I don't mean to say that in any sort of malicious way, but sadly everything

I have said is true.

Edited by PKLewzer

@PKLewzer, I understand that new and often low level players have struggles to achieve something in Tarkov. You can agree with me, or no, but the truth is that you will actually learn things only in online mode with other players. Running in offline mode, when your only threat is AI (which is quite simple to defeat) won't help you at all in EFT. This game is made to be punishing, hard, hardcore and unforgivable.

To the PvP question: I don't play PvP and it is possible to play without PvP (here is interesting answer about it). Well, I know that theory is always simpler that practice, but I can tell about my personal experience. My first ever wipe in EFT was not great experience. I barely knew any mechanics, systems, guns etc. But I've spend that wipe only on learning. I've reached 25 level as far as I remember, had 3 mil roubles, barely nothing in the Hideout. But next wipe, I've managed to had maximum Hideout, 40 level, 70 mil roubles. And I've achieved this by avoiding PvP - I've killed only 30 PMC through 6 months. Next wipe - the same. Current wipe - the same (so far right now). I have enjoyment from the game right know without any kind of competitive thigs. To be honest - Tarkov is not a competitive game. Of course, people are treating Tarkov like this, but it's not true. Did developers define some competitive elements? No - YOU decide, what "winning raid" means to you. For some people it will be killing whole lobby, for some just looting, for some camping, for some hiding, for some doing quest, for some just lurking around, for some finding high tier items, for some sitting in the bush and levelling metabolism. 

I can advise to learn every spawn on every map, that will help you to avoid others (by a lot, trust me). If you have low-tier gear and ammunition, it's better right know just to avoid other PMCs. When you know every spawn, you can hide easily. Learn hideouts that surrounds your spawn point and wait for few minutes. During that time try to listen if anyone is near you and try to guess where you here the gunshots from. Then, move. If you have to pick up some quest items, for example from Dorms - don't push it if you don't have good spawn. You can go there in the last 15-20 minutes, probably giga chads looted everything and you will be alone 🙂 I've always done this and it works. 

Another good thing is to play on only one server, low populated - those with higher queue time. Of course, if the server is lagging, just change it, but it's good way. 

Remember: Tarkov is not PvP game, even if it looks like many people do this. You can achieve many things by avoiding it. Only online mode will teach you the game. Learn from your mistakes, analyse every death. Sometimes you don't need good ammo and gear to defeat other players. Good luck!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Biala_Mewa

This is probably the most informational and thought out response I have read to date, so thank you for taking the time to write out such a detailed response. I agree with you completely, and after reading your message, I do have more motivation to continue playing online mode; I will definitely be looking into how to play without PvP as well, however, I still believe that the addition of a true offline mode will only boost the ratings of the game, and allow new players to settle into the game at a much more comfortable pace.

on another note, I think you should publish a guide for new players. You seem to be able to explain the mechanics of the game in a way that both makes sense, and provides inspiration for new strategy.

Edited by PKLewzer
  • Thanks 1

@PKLewzer wish you luck in Tarkov, remember there's Sherpa system - you can "hire" more experienced players who can guide you through the game :D The path of learning will be painful, but it will pay out :D 

I've written one guide, but it's outdated - I need to update it to current patch :D

On 8/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, Vortex_Bear said:

I'd like to have a true offline mode with AI PMC characters just to ensure the game will be able to be played in the distant future when the official game servers stop.

It unfortunately feels like nobody wants to talk about this ever on this forum. I've made numerous mentions about the fact that if the studio shuts down the servers, your game and money are completely gone. I will never understand why they keep everything online only, you can't even start the game without connecting to BSG servers. And I never see an official follow up about this issue anywhere.

I've seen plenty of games dead on arrival and there is no guarantee this one will be any different when version 1.0 comes out. And the fact that it is so hard for new players to join does not help at all. All we have is literally the "hope" that this game will be popular for many years to come which is simply unlikely in my opinion.

• Like 1

It could be compared to the "solo self-found" mode in Path of Exile, where there's no multiplayer or trading. Or to any other games where you can play the game without playing with other players like diablo.

positives:
- Immersion not ruined by other players
- Can play even if no access to internet
- you can play the game instead of wasting time "waiting for players" after the level is loaded.
- don't need to feel at a disadvantage for potentially not running the game as well as the others on the map (less than 60fps). 
- could maybe remove the timer and give us more time to explore per raid.

Negatives:
- not as hard/rewarding as it could be with or against other players.

Personally I don't find the AI that easy to kill. I played a few offline raids offline since the wipe, and half the time I get obliterated. I haven't played as much as the first year I got the game and a lot has been added and changed since, but I still struggle against scavs that are not complete idiots with no gear (especially when they group against me from multiple angles or if my FPS starts to drop). It's not other players that should make the game interesting or challenging, it's the game itself that should do that.

Sometimes it feels more like counter-strike or COD where the goal is just to kill as many players as possible in the most efficient way possible, and not some russian survival looter shooter. 

I get that it would make no sense to build different modes while still building the core of the games, but I do hope that when they are done with the core they give us a full offline experience. Even different modes like leagues, including a co-op mode.

Edited by Krymz_
adding more wall of text

13 hours ago, Biala_Mewa said:

@PKLewzer, I understand that new and often low level players have struggles to achieve something in Tarkov. You can agree with me, or no, but the truth is that you will actually learn things only in online mode with other players. Running in offline mode, when your only threat is AI (which is quite simple to defeat) won't help you at all in EFT. This game is made to be punishing, hard, hardcore and unforgivable.

To the PvP question: I don't play PvP and it is possible to play without PvP (here is interesting answer about it). Well, I know that theory is always simpler that practice, but I can tell about my personal experience. My first ever wipe in EFT was not great experience. I barely knew any mechanics, systems, guns etc. But I've spend that wipe only on learning. I've reached 25 level as far as I remember, had 3 mil roubles, barely nothing in the Hideout. But next wipe, I've managed to had maximum Hideout, 40 level, 70 mil roubles. And I've achieved this by avoiding PvP - I've killed only 30 PMC through 6 months. Next wipe - the same. Current wipe - the same (so far right now). I have enjoyment from the game right know without any kind of competitive thigs. To be honest - Tarkov is not a competitive game. Of course, people are treating Tarkov like this, but it's not true. Did developers define some competitive elements? No - YOU decide, what "winning raid" means to you. For some people it will be killing whole lobby, for some just looting, for some camping, for some hiding, for some doing quest, for some just lurking around, for some finding high tier items, for some sitting in the bush and levelling metabolism. 

I can advise to learn every spawn on every map, that will help you to avoid others (by a lot, trust me). If you have low-tier gear and ammunition, it's better right know just to avoid other PMCs. When you know every spawn, you can hide easily. Learn hideouts that surrounds your spawn point and wait for few minutes. During that time try to listen if anyone is near you and try to guess where you here the gunshots from. Then, move. If you have to pick up some quest items, for example from Dorms - don't push it if you don't have good spawn. You can go there in the last 15-20 minutes, probably giga chads looted everything and you will be alone 🙂 I've always done this and it works. 

Another good thing is to play on only one server, low populated - those with higher queue time. Of course, if the server is lagging, just change it, but it's good way. 

Remember: Tarkov is not PvP game, even if it looks like many people do this. You can achieve many things by avoiding it. Only online mode will teach you the game. Learn from your mistakes, analyse every death. Sometimes you don't need good ammo and gear to defeat other players. Good luck!

who wants to not play the game to play the game? 

"just hide and don't go fight scavs and look for quests and stuff right away because there's other players playing" doesn't sound like the solution people need. 

14 hours ago, Krymz_ said:

who wants to not play the game to play the game? 

"just hide and don't go fight scavs and look for quests and stuff right away because there's other players playing" doesn't sound like the solution people need. 

Tarkov raids don't have one goal and thing to do. For some players successful raids are those when they killed whole lobby, for other when they did other stuff. Not engaging in PvP is also a good way to play and it can really help other. What is the point in pushing and engaging in the fights when new player barely know any mechanics and have low-tier gun/armour/ammo/no meds? 

1 hour ago, Biala_Mewa said:

What is the point in pushing and engaging in the fights when new player barely know any mechanics and have low-tier gun/armour/ammo/no meds? 

that's not the point. it's not about having low tier stuff against giga chads, the point is about enjoying the game on your own. I don't want to play online or engage in PvP because my internet is unreliable and I get disconnected at the worst times, and because my PC sucks at running tarkov smoothly and will get bad performance at the worst time. And I hate waiting for players to play the game when I don't even care to see other players to begin with. The whole "keep moving at all times because you could be getting aimed at by a player" and all the other pro gamer movement metas also breaks immersion. Online mode should be something I can do when and if I want to do it.

Like if diablo was only pvp with no single player and then you'd be like "just don't go do your quest if you don't have nice gear". like no, the game is still fine and enjoyable in single player for a lot of people.