Sign in to follow this  
enigmatic

AI/Scavs affected by inferior equipment?

enigmatic

I have searched this question through the forums with reference keywords "Scavs", "NPC" and "AI", but did not find any pre-existing topics having to do with it.

From reading through various posts related to the hostile NPCs, it has been said again and again that the enemy Scavs will be geared with under-par equipment and weaponry. So-

Q: Will AI/NPC opponents (Scavs) also be susceptible to weapon conditions such as weapon jamming or misfiring (due to poor weapon condition) during raids and free roam? Or will it only happen to player-controlled Scavs in the raids (if at all)?

• Upvote 1

Avexum

The way I see it is that the gun jams based on the guns condition, so it wouldn't matter whose holding it 

enigmatic

For players, yes. I'm asking about NPC and if the same conditions will apply to them as well.

Edited by enigmatic

TheSnikers

We already know, that scavs will get random guns every run. In my opinion, random here not only determine weapon but also it conditions and ammunition

MadStalker

So it appears just normal that a Scav (who is most an armed civilian) get some damaged or in bad condition weaponry, and it make highter chance of jamming. But the skill of the user does not really act in the chance about jamming. Pull a trigger does not need particular skill.

Anyway it's the way I see this point.

enigmatic

We all know Scavs will have random, sub-par weapons, and equipment (for the most part).  Got that. 

My question is specifically pertaining to Non-Player Characters (NPCs) which are AI controlled (by the computer).

I know all players will experience weapon malfunction or failure, but will we see NPC/AI controlled enemies ALSO experiencing these same problems during raids?

Imagine you're in a firefight with 1 enemy Scav (NOT PLAYER CONTROLLED) in a close quarters environment. You are behind cover and have just finished loading a fresh magazine into your rifle when the Scav comes out from around a corner to shoot you and his weapon jams or malfunctions.

Is this scenario going to be possible, or will only players have these problems to deal with?

Edited by enigmatic

MadStalker

Only devs can answer this ... It looks normal that IA could suffer from this too, but I dont know how much it can be hard to implant this

Ayaku

Well, since it's probaly a % of chance you have to misfire or jam or anything, I don't think that it is that hard to implement on AI Scavs, just make them do what needs to be done if it actually happens.

eltdrgntmr

I'm not speaking for the developers, but I would say most likely not. From a development perspective, AI-controlled Scavs are already at a disadvantage because they are AI-controlled. Having to write extra code to further hinder the AI with weapon jamming when the AI is already at a disadvantage seems like too much trouble to do.

I can already forsee counterarguments to this like "remember realism wink wink". Cmon little boys... -_-

Edited by eltdrgntmr

Sushi

I'm for the idea.

I mean, the scavs will also have limited ammunition, right? They have inventories to keep track of and behavior much more complex than just a jam when the gun has been fired enough. I think it's a small thing that could lead to some truly organic gameplay and fun stories for people to talk about. It'd be of secondary importance to incorporate into the game but still seems like a nice thing to have.

enigmatic
10 hours ago, eltdrgntmr said:

I'm not speaking for the developers, but I would say most likely not. From a development perspective, AI-controlled Scavs are already at a disadvantage because they are AI-controlled. Having to write extra code to further hinder the AI with weapon jamming when the AI is already at a disadvantage seems like too much trouble to do.

Think about a player inside a Raid with equivalent equipment of a Scav, though. If I am using an M4 at 17% condition and a Scav I am in a firefight with also has an M4 at ~17% condition, I would be technically be at the disadvantage because the AI will have no penalty of weapon malfunctioning whereas I would have a very high chance.

eltdrgntmr
11 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Think about a player inside a Raid with equivalent equipment of a Scav, though. If I am using an M4 at 17% condition and a Scav I am in a firefight with also has an M4 at ~17% condition, I would be technically be at the disadvantage because the AI will have no penalty of weapon malfunctioning whereas I would have a very high chance.

You have the advantage of tactics and creativity. I think that trumps pretty much everything. Unless, of course, you wish to suggest that you and an AI have the same level of intelligence ;)

enigmatic

The Developers insist time and time again in all FAQs that the AI will not be easy targets to pick off, so why is everyone else? This isn't going to be like CoD or BF AI from Single Player, they will be using tactics and strategy just like all of us. Can't wait to see how we all fair against them in Raids with your level of confidence

Edited by enigmatic

eltdrgntmr

CoD/BF AI is horrendous. If that were the level of AI at play here I'd get a refund.

I just think you overestimate AI in general. Sure, they wont be easy targets to pick off... If you don't use your head.

P.S. just so you know I despise CoD and BF

Edited by eltdrgntmr

Starlight
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 10:41 AM, enigmatic said:

The devs detailed that player scavs will suffer all of the randomized penalties that come with playing a scav, including low skills. Since those skills play directly into factors that cause issues like stovepipes or misfires, the only sensible option is that those problems also apply to AI scavs. Otherwise, why would they even bother populating the scav skill trees?

Sushi
4 hours ago, Starlight said:

The devs detailed that player scavs will suffer all of the randomized penalties that come with playing a scav, including low skills. Since those skills play directly into factors that cause issues like stovepipes or misfires, the only sensible option is that those problems also apply to AI scavs. Otherwise, why would they even bother populating the scav skill trees?

I can't really see skills making a rifle jam more than anyone else's though, since that's a matter of maintenance and ammo quality.

Starlight
5 minutes ago, Sushi said:

I can't really see skills making a rifle jam more than anyone else's though, since that's a matter of maintenance and ammo quality.

I'm expecting something along the lines of low skill levels you maybe ride the bolt, at upper levels getting the most mileage out of a less-than-peak-condition firearm. 

Sushi
Just now, Starlight said:

I'm expecting something along the lines of low skill levels you maybe ride the bolt, at upper levels getting the most mileage out of a less-than-peak-condition firearm. 

Hm. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of reloading potentially being compounded by short-stroking and turning into a protracted jam myself. On the other hand some games reset your malfs by reloading and that's not ideal either.